Why do people think college is the best route to go ?

Originally Posted by burgundyaltima

hmmm what about those with a college degree that still cant get a job? or have a college degree but working a job outside of their degree? lol ..like seriously.. i have friends who work at walmart..mcdonalds etc WhO HAVE college degrees ..and STILL cant get a job ..because either the field they going into is already saturated OR..employers want someone with 5+ experience...lol smh...and hell i know some people without a degree that are doing very well (business, real estate, taxi drivers, sanitation workers, postal workers) ..but for me...looking at the future aspect ..i think having a solid education that you can always fall back on is important and ive notice that they are more commonly required on some applications these days...........

I'm tired of hearing this argument.

Where you went to college (university prestige), your degree (demand), GPA (proven track record/demonstrated commitment), internships (experience), networking (who you know), extracurricular activities (leadership) etc are all factors.
I'm willing to bet your friends were sub-par in at least one of those categories.

You can't just go to college...and you can't just go to any college. The system does not work like that.  You need to pay your dues.
I swear like 50% of the people who attend college are doing it wrong....and wonder why they end up unemployed.

If you attend a reputable school, perform well in school, and build a good network, you will be head and shoulders ahead of the average person with no degree.

hmmm what about those with a college degree that still cant get a job? or have a college degree but working a job outside of their degree? lol ..like seriously.. i have friends who work at walmart..mcdonalds etc WhO HAVE college degrees ..and STILL cant get a job ..because either the field they going into is already saturated OR..employers want someone with 5+ experience...lol smh...and hell i know some people without a degree that are doing very well (business, real estate, taxi drivers, sanitation workers, postal workers) ..but for me...looking at the future aspect ..i think having a solid education that you can always fall back on is important and ive notice that they are more commonly required on some applications these days...........

Where you went to college (university prestige), your degree (demand), GPA (proven track record/demonstrated commitment), internships (experience), networking (who you know), extracurricular activities (leadership) etc are all factors.
I'm willing to bet your friends were sub-par in at least one of those categories.

You can't just go to college...and you can't just go to any college. The system does not work like that.  You need to pay your dues.
I swear like 50% of the people who attend college are doing it wrong....and wonder why they end up unemployed.

If you attend a reputable school, perform well in school, and build a good network, you will be head and shoulders ahead of the average person with no degree.

Like dude said above, its the "safest" way to ensure a brighter future. Doesn't always apply, but it does more than not

Like dude said above, its the "safest" way to ensure a brighter future. Doesn't always apply, but it does more than not

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

I feel the same way about this as well. Personally, if your butt was a slack and didn't pay attention in high school than honestly you shouldn't be going to college.

I feel the same way about this as well. Personally, if your butt was a slack and didn't pay attention in high school than honestly you shouldn't be going to college.

college grads make more than people who didnt go

come on guys its not rocket science

of course you have your self made billionaires with no degree and your ivy league educated failures but for the most part going to a college, especially a good one whose degree means something, is going to raise your chances of making a good living

college grads make more than people who didnt go

come on guys its not rocket science

of course you have your self made billionaires with no degree and your ivy league educated failures but for the most part going to a college, especially a good one whose degree means something, is going to raise your chances of making a good living

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Because college is more than the piece of paper you receive at the end.

The life lessons you learn, dealing with other people, dealing with deadlines, and learning to do things well that you don't want to do are just SOME of the benefits of college.

Bachelors: You can learn.
Masters: You can understand.
PhD: You've mastered and are able to apply and teach your theories.
all of this

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Because college is more than the piece of paper you receive at the end.

The life lessons you learn, dealing with other people, dealing with deadlines, and learning to do things well that you don't want to do are just SOME of the benefits of college.

Bachelors: You can learn.
Masters: You can understand.
PhD: You've mastered and are able to apply and teach your theories.
all of this

Originally Posted by D723

I have been really struggling with this recently. Thanks for this post.

Can anyone who has taken a semester or two off chime in? Did you consider it a good decision once you went back?
had no choice to take a semester off....classes got dropped.....

registered two days ago for a summer course...do I want to go back? very much so... was I getting tired of it before this semester where I had to sit out? of course, i felt i needed a break....but did I ever think about not returning all together? no.....I'm going all the way until I get that piece of paper so I can hang it up on my wall for my future kids to see.....I won't even try to sell my books like alot of stundents..i'm keeping those too for the memories, every one.

military is not an option for me...cus I don't want to be overseas nowhere
trade school is a cool idea....but my major is really what I want to do....I like to help people, and I like to get compliments after I've done a great job, I love health also, everything about it, whether it's dealing with the brain, dentistry, the heart, etc, %%$#'s fascinating.

doesn't matter how difficult college may get at times, I'll never throw in the towel, If I could have skipped high school to get here I would've, and I'm sure alot of others feel the same way.

and if it wasn't for me going to the work program at my college, my resume would still look terrible...the new one compared to the old is a big step.

Originally Posted by D723

I have been really struggling with this recently. Thanks for this post.

Can anyone who has taken a semester or two off chime in? Did you consider it a good decision once you went back?
had no choice to take a semester off....classes got dropped.....

registered two days ago for a summer course...do I want to go back? very much so... was I getting tired of it before this semester where I had to sit out? of course, i felt i needed a break....but did I ever think about not returning all together? no.....I'm going all the way until I get that piece of paper so I can hang it up on my wall for my future kids to see.....I won't even try to sell my books like alot of stundents..i'm keeping those too for the memories, every one.

military is not an option for me...cus I don't want to be overseas nowhere
trade school is a cool idea....but my major is really what I want to do....I like to help people, and I like to get compliments after I've done a great job, I love health also, everything about it, whether it's dealing with the brain, dentistry, the heart, etc, %%$#'s fascinating.

doesn't matter how difficult college may get at times, I'll never throw in the towel, If I could have skipped high school to get here I would've, and I'm sure alot of others feel the same way.

and if it wasn't for me going to the work program at my college, my resume would still look terrible...the new one compared to the old is a big step.

depends on you

pretty much need some kind of degree to make average/above average living in an office type environment

can make average/above average living workin with your hands/operating machinery with no degree

just gotta pick between physical stress or mental stress at the workplace, and also which type of jobs are more available/secure where you live

depends on you

pretty much need some kind of degree to make average/above average living in an office type environment

can make average/above average living workin with your hands/operating machinery with no degree

just gotta pick between physical stress or mental stress at the workplace, and also which type of jobs are more available/secure where you live

I wouldnt wanna be thirty or forty and be tellin people that my highest level of education is high school. thats messed up.

I wouldnt wanna be thirty or forty and be tellin people that my highest level of education is high school. thats messed up.

If you dont go to college you will most likely struggle to get a good job. Not many hire people with out degrees

If you dont go to college you will most likely struggle to get a good job. Not many hire people with out degrees

those people u listed are exceptions to the rule if u think about it

all depends on what you want to do, what ideas you have, and what you think will be best for your future

At the end of the day, getting a degree is the safest thing to do

but just cause you have a degree dont mean *%%!. You gotta make yourself/career when you graduate. Your on your own

those people u listed are exceptions to the rule if u think about it

all depends on what you want to do, what ideas you have, and what you think will be best for your future

At the end of the day, getting a degree is the safest thing to do

but just cause you have a degree dont mean *%%!. You gotta make yourself/career when you graduate. Your on your own

i'm just getting my degree becaue i have financial aid.. i wouldn't waste any money on it though..

i plan on becoming a truck driver anyways so i don't need a degree..

college is a joke.

i'm just getting my degree becaue i have financial aid.. i wouldn't waste any money on it though..

i plan on becoming a truck driver anyways so i don't need a degree..

college is a joke.

you are so right, i want to punch you...

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom