Why do people think college is the best route to go ?

Originally Posted by Anathema

I went to college but found myself totally disenfranchised mostly by the fact that it is nothing more than a business. I got tired of seeing articles showing how much money these school deans and presidents are making, and at the same time hearing each semester how much tuition increased. 
I'll stop you right there. I went to WSU (Washington State). The time I was there we had a Mormon president who was intent on destroying the culture of the school. Since I left, they replaced him with a guy who literally returned a portion of his salary because he was invested in the progress of the university. He took a damn pay cut to say "hey, I'm not messing around." I respect him WAY more than the president who was in place when I was there, and I;m not even a student.

Originally Posted by wizards23

I am tired of people saying that anybody was/is lucky.

Luck is when opportunity meets preparedness. If you are prepared when a good opportunity comes your way you will close the deal, land the job, etc.

I went to community college as a junior and senior in HS then for 2 more years after that. It wasn't for me. I dropped out and took advantage of an opportunity and went to work in the entertainment industry as a multimedia intern. I learned web/graphic design, video production and a bunch of other skills.

Now I own an IR consulting firm, throw concerts, am partners in a computer store (soon to be stores), and I design/host/operate about 30 websites. I just turned 26.

QFT I really think cats in here need to read/reread think and grow rich by napoleon hill. Likes others have said if your going to college for certain fields cool but those bogus knitting type majors save your $$$ & time. Only thing I can't co sign with is the guy forgot the screenname that didn't want to 30-40 with only a high school diploma. If you and the next person are on the same success level what does it matter if he only went to high school and you went further? Is so girls, people you probably don't care about look at you funny. A win is a win my friend.Most of the skills I use everyday, I learned myself. Self-taught....

My opinion is that college isn't for everybody. If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc then do it get your degree.

Either way, college or not, stop dreaming, stop chasing and actually reach for your goals. Picture it. Visualize it. Plan it. It is your future, take full advantage of every opportunity that comes your way.

Originally Posted by wizards23

I am tired of people saying that anybody was/is lucky.

Luck is when opportunity meets preparedness. If you are prepared when a good opportunity comes your way you will close the deal, land the job, etc.

I went to community college as a junior and senior in HS then for 2 more years after that. It wasn't for me. I dropped out and took advantage of an opportunity and went to work in the entertainment industry as a multimedia intern. I learned web/graphic design, video production and a bunch of other skills.

Now I own an IR consulting firm, throw concerts, am partners in a computer store (soon to be stores), and I design/host/operate about 30 websites. I just turned 26.

QFT I really think cats in here need to read/reread think and grow rich by napoleon hill. Likes others have said if your going to college for certain fields cool but those bogus knitting type majors save your $$$ & time. Only thing I can't co sign with is the guy forgot the screenname that didn't want to 30-40 with only a high school diploma. If you and the next person are on the same success level what does it matter if he only went to high school and you went further? Is so girls, people you probably don't care about look at you funny. A win is a win my friend.Most of the skills I use everyday, I learned myself. Self-taught....

My opinion is that college isn't for everybody. If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc then do it get your degree.

Either way, college or not, stop dreaming, stop chasing and actually reach for your goals. Picture it. Visualize it. Plan it. It is your future, take full advantage of every opportunity that comes your way.

I would go to college, but a dude has no funds :/

FAFSA be on that BS, talkin about only $9,000 a year, %## am I gonna do with that?

FAFSA be on that BS, talkin about only $9,000 a year, %## am I gonna do with that?

Originally Posted by Slaptastic

you a fool bruh I know ###+@% that would kill for 9k a year in aid. have you ever heard of a state university?

ps FAFSA is where the money begins, not where it ends. there's more $ out there.

Originally Posted by Slaptastic

you a fool bruh I know ###+@% that would kill for 9k a year in aid. have you ever heard of a state university?

ps FAFSA is where the money begins, not where it ends. there's more $ out there.

It's a just a difference in mindset apparently. A lot people look at these guys and think they are the exception/lucky/genuises.. I look at these people and think to myself.. it's possible

It's a just a difference in mindset apparently. A lot people look at these guys and think they are the exception/lucky/genuises.. I look at these people and think to myself.. it's possible

why do i feel like college classes are teaching me a bunch of !+@% that i dont need to know...like why the @+!@ does a Marketing major need to know Calculus or Physics

why do i feel like college classes are teaching me a bunch of !+@% that i dont need to know...like why the @+!@ does a Marketing major need to know Calculus or Physics

Im starting to feel like college isnt gonna take me no where and not sure what to do.
eyes.gif

I work part time at a school/daycare for autistic individuals, and I'm thinking just to take a break from school and work full-time to see if I can make it to a higher level, but then i think to myself what if i dont?

feelsbadman.
grin.gif

Im starting to feel like college isnt gonna take me no where and not sure what to do.
eyes.gif

I work part time at a school/daycare for autistic individuals, and I'm thinking just to take a break from school and work full-time to see if I can make it to a higher level, but then i think to myself what if i dont?

feelsbadman.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by The Prince of LA

So, I'm currently studying for back to back finals tommrow and I don't understand why people say one needs to go to college in order to be financially successful.
With the likes of Richard Branson, Bill Gates,  Steve Jobs, Ralph Lauren, Kirk Kerkorian (all Billionaires) never graduating college and the lack of emphasis that the past business geniuses ( Cornelius Vanderbilt, William Randolph Hearst, etc..) put on college, why have people been conditioned to believe that college is the best route to be successful.

I am not saying college can't help one achieve success but if time is slipping away studying rather than working wouldn't it be more prudent to skip college.

Discuss ???
I never understood this line of reasoning. Not only do you acknowledge that the aforementioned are almost all geniuses in their respective fields, but every time this topic comes up, we fail to acknowledge the millions of people who didn't go to college who aren't successful, as if they just don't exist for the purpose of this argument.

The whole point is mute because success in anything isn't dependent on a college education or lack there of.

Personally though, institutionalized or not, I see a lot of benefits in going to college, many of them having little to do with class room education. But who am I to say it's the best way to go about finding success when it comes to another individual.

Saved me time.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by The Prince of LA

So, I'm currently studying for back to back finals tommrow and I don't understand why people say one needs to go to college in order to be financially successful.
With the likes of Richard Branson, Bill Gates,  Steve Jobs, Ralph Lauren, Kirk Kerkorian (all Billionaires) never graduating college and the lack of emphasis that the past business geniuses ( Cornelius Vanderbilt, William Randolph Hearst, etc..) put on college, why have people been conditioned to believe that college is the best route to be successful.

I am not saying college can't help one achieve success but if time is slipping away studying rather than working wouldn't it be more prudent to skip college.

Discuss ???
I never understood this line of reasoning. Not only do you acknowledge that the aforementioned are almost all geniuses in their respective fields, but every time this topic comes up, we fail to acknowledge the millions of people who didn't go to college who aren't successful, as if they just don't exist for the purpose of this argument.

The whole point is mute because success in anything isn't dependent on a college education or lack there of.

Personally though, institutionalized or not, I see a lot of benefits in going to college, many of them having little to do with class room education. But who am I to say it's the best way to go about finding success when it comes to another individual.

Saved me time.
pimp.gif

A lot of y'all be talking out of your +$%%%. lol First of all, unless you're an employer, you DON'T know what employers are looking for so shut that up. Second of all, people who work hard and are smart get good jobs; college degree or not. College is cool, I'm not going to knock it, I'm a college student, but I think about dropping out every day. In this day and age so much information is at our fingertips. You really can teach yourself whatever trade/profession you'd like to learn from either the internet or investing a small amount of money in a book or two. College doesn't guarantee success and skipping college doesn't guarantee failure. It is a case by case basis. It depends how hungry that individual is. Obviously some professions require college degrees, but that depends on what you desire. At the end of the day, people need to chase fulfillment in life, and not a piece of paper or monetary wealth. What the +%+! is a 6 figure job if you hate every day of your life and are up to your neck in debt?

A lot of y'all be talking out of your +$%%%. lol First of all, unless you're an employer, you DON'T know what employers are looking for so shut that up. Second of all, people who work hard and are smart get good jobs; college degree or not. College is cool, I'm not going to knock it, I'm a college student, but I think about dropping out every day. In this day and age so much information is at our fingertips. You really can teach yourself whatever trade/profession you'd like to learn from either the internet or investing a small amount of money in a book or two. College doesn't guarantee success and skipping college doesn't guarantee failure. It is a case by case basis. It depends how hungry that individual is. Obviously some professions require college degrees, but that depends on what you desire. At the end of the day, people need to chase fulfillment in life, and not a piece of paper or monetary wealth. What the +%+! is a 6 figure job if you hate every day of your life and are up to your neck in debt?

Back
Top Bottom