Why do people think college is the best route to go ?

Originally Posted by seventh letter

A lot of y'all be talking out of your +$%%%. lol First of all, unless you're an employer, you DON'T know what employers are looking for so shut that up. Second of all, people who work hard and are smart get good jobs; college degree or not. College is cool, I'm not going to knock it, I'm a college student, but I think about dropping out every day. In this day and age so much information is at our fingertips. You really can teach yourself whatever trade/profession you'd like to learn from either the internet or investing a small amount of money in a book or two. College doesn't guarantee success and skipping college doesn't guarantee failure. It is a case by case basis. It depends how hungry that individual is. Obviously some professions require college degrees, but that depends on what you desire. At the end of the day, people need to chase fulfillment in life, and not a piece of paper or monetary wealth. What the +%+! is a 6 figure job if you hate every day of your life and are up to your neck in debt?

But we have gotten jobs.

My employer will not hire you for my job without a degree. There is way around this. There are barriers to entry and glass ceilings in Corporate America.

Deal with it.

Originally Posted by seventh letter

A lot of y'all be talking out of your +$%%%. lol First of all, unless you're an employer, you DON'T know what employers are looking for so shut that up. Second of all, people who work hard and are smart get good jobs; college degree or not. College is cool, I'm not going to knock it, I'm a college student, but I think about dropping out every day. In this day and age so much information is at our fingertips. You really can teach yourself whatever trade/profession you'd like to learn from either the internet or investing a small amount of money in a book or two. College doesn't guarantee success and skipping college doesn't guarantee failure. It is a case by case basis. It depends how hungry that individual is. Obviously some professions require college degrees, but that depends on what you desire. At the end of the day, people need to chase fulfillment in life, and not a piece of paper or monetary wealth. What the +%+! is a 6 figure job if you hate every day of your life and are up to your neck in debt?

But we have gotten jobs.

My employer will not hire you for my job without a degree. There is way around this. There are barriers to entry and glass ceilings in Corporate America.

Deal with it.

financial aid = free money
but na its more so the experience n u can rub it into the faces of ur friends who didnt go
laugh.gif

but yea it looks good on the resume and you network

but na its more so the experience n u can rub it into the faces of ur friends who didnt go
laugh.gif

Another thing..

Don't underestimate the value of engineering and tech schools. They aren't as glamorized as universities but they can still lead to a good placement in the workplace and the costs are usually cheaper and take less time.
I dropped out of college last year and now I go to a sound engineering school where I'll be placed right into the industry I want to be in. It's a lot about networking in my opinion though cuz it's about who you know MUCH MORE than what you know.

Another thing..

Don't underestimate the value of engineering and tech schools. They aren't as glamorized as universities but they can still lead to a good placement in the workplace and the costs are usually cheaper and take less time.
I dropped out of college last year and now I go to a sound engineering school where I'll be placed right into the industry I want to be in. It's a lot about networking in my opinion though cuz it's about who you know MUCH MORE than what you know.

Originally Posted by hometownhero25

Another thing..

What are you talking about.

Engineering schools ARE universities.

MIT, Georgia Tech, Cal Tech, etc are 4 year universities.
laugh.gif
Furthermore, many schools that specialize in engineering are ELITE universities.
They are different then ITT Tech, RIT, etc.

Please learn to differentiate between engineering and those 2 year tech schools

Another thing..

laugh.gif
Furthermore, many schools that specialize in engineering are ELITE universities.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Another thing..

laugh.gif

Are those even the school this guy goes to or was talking about?

Another thing..

laugh.gif

Are those even the school this guy goes to or was talking about?

Originally Posted by MOE FAB UAFA

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by MOE FAB UAFA

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

I didn't read through this whole thread but 
roll.gif
at the entire basis of this thread.  I'm not saying that a college education is the "end-all be-all" but some of y'all +*+%$%%#+%+%% are absolutely delusional.

"Fam, don't waste all that money getting that civil engineering degree.  Just get some books from the library and watch some YouTube videos and teach yourself how to be an engineer and save all that money you're gonna owe in student loans.  Then just apply to some engineering firms and explain to them how you're actually more independent and creative than all their other applicants since you taught yourself instead of going to college like everyone else.  If no one will hire you, just go back to the library and teach yourself how to start your own business.  @%$$ college man!!"

laugh.gif

eyes.gif

I didn't read through this whole thread but 
roll.gif
at the entire basis of this thread.  I'm not saying that a college education is the "end-all be-all" but some of y'all +*+%$%%#+%+%% are absolutely delusional.

"Fam, don't waste all that money getting that civil engineering degree.  Just get some books from the library and watch some YouTube videos and teach yourself how to be an engineer and save all that money you're gonna owe in student loans.  Then just apply to some engineering firms and explain to them how you're actually more independent and creative than all their other applicants since you taught yourself instead of going to college like everyone else.  If no one will hire you, just go back to the library and teach yourself how to start your own business.  @%$$ college man!!"

laugh.gif

eyes.gif

College is the safest. without it, u have to be at the right place at the right time and chances are slim. still follow your dreams but stay in school =D

College is the safest. without it, u have to be at the right place at the right time and chances are slim. still follow your dreams but stay in school =D

Another thing..

laugh.gif

I wasn't speaking on the larger elite engineering schools homie. I'm speaking more about the short term engineering programs. Getting into MIT is like getting into Harvard and I'm not talking bout that

Another thing..

laugh.gif

I wasn't speaking on the larger elite engineering schools homie. I'm speaking more about the short term engineering programs. Getting into MIT is like getting into Harvard and I'm not talking bout that

Back
Top Bottom