Why do people think college is the best route to go ?

It all depends on what you want. Like i stated earlier, if its millions you want, i wouldnt suggest college. There's a reason the Top 5% are wealthy and 95% isn't. College opens more opportunities yes... If you want a job. The top 5% don't have jobs, they own businesses, meaning they created  their own opportunities. I'm actually debating with myself if school is even worth it. Cutbacks have been pushing me further and further behind and I want to get ahead in life.

There's nothing wrong with a job if that's what you want in life. If you want a job then... yes to college
If you want more, then college can be helpful but not necessary. 

Co-sign to everything wizards23 said. Everything I'm learning and continue to learn is self taught. I've learned more with myself as the teacher than i have in 4 years of school so far.

It all boils down to if you want something bad enough, you will find a way to get it.. School or no school

It all depends on what you want. Like i stated earlier, if its millions you want, i wouldnt suggest college. There's a reason the Top 5% are wealthy and 95% isn't. College opens more opportunities yes... If you want a job. The top 5% don't have jobs, they own businesses, meaning they created  their own opportunities. I'm actually debating with myself if school is even worth it. Cutbacks have been pushing me further and further behind and I want to get ahead in life.

There's nothing wrong with a job if that's what you want in life. If you want a job then... yes to college
If you want more, then college can be helpful but not necessary. 

Co-sign to everything wizards23 said. Everything I'm learning and continue to learn is self taught. I've learned more with myself as the teacher than i have in 4 years of school so far.

It all boils down to if you want something bad enough, you will find a way to get it.. School or no school

Good responses in here 
pimp.gif

I'm about to graduate from Arizona in 2 weeks.  I would say more than anything it was the aspect of being outside of the classroom that had the most impact on me.   Being responsible, networking, and overall life lessons.

I'm hoping to find a job or intern for the next year and save up some $$$ and study for the GMAT/GRE so that I can hopefully get my Masters. 

Good responses in here 
pimp.gif

I'm about to graduate from Arizona in 2 weeks.  I would say more than anything it was the aspect of being outside of the classroom that had the most impact on me.   Being responsible, networking, and overall life lessons.

I'm hoping to find a job or intern for the next year and save up some $$$ and study for the GMAT/GRE so that I can hopefully get my Masters. 

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm confused. Are you saying the top 5 percent of wealthy people didn't go to college? I'd beg to differ.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm confused. Are you saying the top 5 percent of wealthy people didn't go to college? I'd beg to differ.[/font]

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

College is basically a tool to get you what you want in life. College works if you know what you're going to do and how you're going to get there. The successful people you mention are the outliers in the upper 2 percentile.
Exactly. It gives you the pieces, but you have to provide the "glue" to have them put together well.

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

College is basically a tool to get you what you want in life. College works if you know what you're going to do and how you're going to get there. The successful people you mention are the outliers in the upper 2 percentile.
Exactly. It gives you the pieces, but you have to provide the "glue" to have them put together well.

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

I'm not saying that at all.. The top 5% of money earners don't rely on school for opportunities. They create their own opportunities.

I'm not saying that at all.. The top 5% of money earners don't rely on school for opportunities. They create their own opportunities.

Right. But their education and the job they got from that education most likely put them into the position they are currently in, which is owning businesses etc.

Right. But their education and the job they got from that education most likely put them into the position they are currently in, which is owning businesses etc.

Originally Posted by washanobotit

The top 5% are either super geniuses(Bill Gates), old money, or pursued some sort of field that didn't require college. I don't get it, your whole "create their own opportunities" argument has no correlation with a college degree. For your own sake, don't listen to your own advice here. 

Originally Posted by washanobotit

The top 5% are either super geniuses(Bill Gates), old money, or pursued some sort of field that didn't require college. I don't get it, your whole "create their own opportunities" argument has no correlation with a college degree. For your own sake, don't listen to your own advice here. 

You're not making any sense now.. Their job got them their business? 

"A formal education will make youa living, a self education will make you a fortune."  Education is definately needed. Just not the kind everyone is led to believe

You're not making any sense now.. Their job got them their business? 

"A formal education will make youa living, a self education will make you a fortune."  Education is definately needed. Just not the kind everyone is led to believe

Moonmaster: you don't need to be a super genius to be in the top 5%. In fact, the top %5 earn about 160k a year.
Based on the Internal Revenue Service’s 2010 database below, here’s how much the top Americans make:

Top 1%: $380,354

Top 5%: $159,619

Top 10%: $113,799

Top 25%: $67,280

http://www.financialsamur...me-earners-make-percent/

washanobotit:

What I am saying is that no one magically creates a business out of thin air. There are people who do this but they generally fail. People typically work a job until they understand it well enough to mimic it or enhance it.

simple example 1 (no college degree):

Joe works at a car wash. He is great at washing cars. Joe is so good the car wash moves him to the office to help with the running of the business. Joe understands the car washing business so he leaves to start his own.

simple example 2 (college degree)

Bill graduates with a degree in computer science. He goes to work for google. bill learns a ton at google. after 3 years bill leaves google to start his own internet company. 

simple example 3 (college degree +crazyfinanceluck+super simplified career path)

Jim graduates with a finance degree. He goes to work at goldmansachs. he works like a slave for 7 years but learns a lot. he has a proven track record of success, industry contacts, and a network that allows him to start his own hedgefund.

get what i'm getting at? I guess you don't need a college degree to eventually start your own business, but DEPENDING ON YOUR MAJOR, it can put you in a position where you will have greater ease of starting a business and greater success. 

Moonmaster: you don't need to be a super genius to be in the top 5%. In fact, the top %5 earn about 160k a year.
Based on the Internal Revenue Service’s 2010 database below, here’s how much the top Americans make:

Top 1%: $380,354

Top 5%: $159,619

Top 10%: $113,799

Top 25%: $67,280

http://www.financialsamur...me-earners-make-percent/

washanobotit:

What I am saying is that no one magically creates a business out of thin air. There are people who do this but they generally fail. People typically work a job until they understand it well enough to mimic it or enhance it.

simple example 1 (no college degree):

Joe works at a car wash. He is great at washing cars. Joe is so good the car wash moves him to the office to help with the running of the business. Joe understands the car washing business so he leaves to start his own.

simple example 2 (college degree)

Bill graduates with a degree in computer science. He goes to work for google. bill learns a ton at google. after 3 years bill leaves google to start his own internet company. 

simple example 3 (college degree +crazyfinanceluck+super simplified career path)

Jim graduates with a finance degree. He goes to work at goldmansachs. he works like a slave for 7 years but learns a lot. he has a proven track record of success, industry contacts, and a network that allows him to start his own hedgefund.

get what i'm getting at? I guess you don't need a college degree to eventually start your own business, but DEPENDING ON YOUR MAJOR, it can put you in a position where you will have greater ease of starting a business and greater success. 

I can really see myself being in the top 10% in the near future. The way the inflation is going, it'll most likely be mandatory..

I can really see myself being in the top 10% in the near future. The way the inflation is going, it'll most likely be mandatory..

I went to college but found myself totally disenfranchised mostly by the fact that it is nothing more than a business. I got tired of seeing articles showing how much money these school deans and presidents are making, and at the same time hearing each semester how much tuition increased. I started to view college as a system in place designed to keep people in debt. I got tired of seeing a large portion of people I know who have a degree either unable to find a job in their field of study, (or in some cases unable to find a job at all). My first job in high school was in a grocery store produce department, and my assistant department manager was a guy who had an accounting degree. So in my mind it was like, "He spent all that time/money/effort in obtaining that degree, only to watch it collect dust as he continues his career as a grocery store assistant department manager" (not that there's anything wrong with that of course). That was the first thing I can remember that started to turn me off to the myth that "degree=success". I once had a job as a loss prevention supervisor, and it just didn't make sense to me that I was making just as much, and in many cases more money than people I knew with degrees.
Fortunately for me, my career of choice does not necessarily place a premium on degrees and academic credentials. Those things can't hurt of course, and they do help if you want to reach the higher levels of command, but I like that when I first began, the first thing we were told was to "forget everything you learned in school, because none of it means anything here". I like the fact that everyone, whether they have a GED or an MBA, starts off in exactly the same position. It might seem like I'm bashing college/academics, but I'm not trying to...in theory the idea of higher education is a great idea, but in practice I just see it as a screwed up system. Even so, I enjoyed my time in college, and despite how I feel I still want to go back and finish my degree because at the end of the day it is an accomplishment to be proud of and can help open some doors for you.

I went to college but found myself totally disenfranchised mostly by the fact that it is nothing more than a business. I got tired of seeing articles showing how much money these school deans and presidents are making, and at the same time hearing each semester how much tuition increased. I started to view college as a system in place designed to keep people in debt. I got tired of seeing a large portion of people I know who have a degree either unable to find a job in their field of study, (or in some cases unable to find a job at all). My first job in high school was in a grocery store produce department, and my assistant department manager was a guy who had an accounting degree. So in my mind it was like, "He spent all that time/money/effort in obtaining that degree, only to watch it collect dust as he continues his career as a grocery store assistant department manager" (not that there's anything wrong with that of course). That was the first thing I can remember that started to turn me off to the myth that "degree=success". I once had a job as a loss prevention supervisor, and it just didn't make sense to me that I was making just as much, and in many cases more money than people I knew with degrees.
Fortunately for me, my career of choice does not necessarily place a premium on degrees and academic credentials. Those things can't hurt of course, and they do help if you want to reach the higher levels of command, but I like that when I first began, the first thing we were told was to "forget everything you learned in school, because none of it means anything here". I like the fact that everyone, whether they have a GED or an MBA, starts off in exactly the same position. It might seem like I'm bashing college/academics, but I'm not trying to...in theory the idea of higher education is a great idea, but in practice I just see it as a screwed up system. Even so, I enjoyed my time in college, and despite how I feel I still want to go back and finish my degree because at the end of the day it is an accomplishment to be proud of and can help open some doors for you.

Originally Posted by Anathema

I went to college but found myself totally disenfranchised mostly by the fact that it is nothing more than a business. I got tired of seeing articles showing how much money these school deans and presidents are making, and at the same time hearing each semester how much tuition increased. 
I'll stop you right there. I went to WSU (Washington State). The time I was there we had a Mormon president who was intent on destroying the culture of the school. Since I left, they replaced him with a guy who literally returned a portion of his salary because he was invested in the progress of the university. He took a damn pay cut to say "hey, I'm not messing around." I respect him WAY more than the president who was in place when I was there, and I;m not even a student.

Back
Top Bottom