Why do people think college is the best route to go ?

You can't really quote all of those billionaires, let alone millionaires because they represent an extremely small minority of the world's population.  College may not suit everyone on a personal basis but I most definitely believe that you it is an overall positive experience anyway you look at it.  To say it's not for you is one thing, but to say it's a waste of money is ignorant.  To those making the argument that individual a with no college degree is working alongside individual b with a degree making the same pay or a little less has to factor in that individual a had to work their way up to that position while individual b was handed it right after college.
For me, its like do I want to earn money my whole life or do I want to make money?  I could have easily started working early and grinding but the way the world is progressing in general, hard work will only take you so far without adequate knowledge and "pieces of paper."  I know such knowledge can be obtained nowadays for free through the internet but how exactly do you convey this to an employer in a 10-15 interview?

You can't really quote all of those billionaires, let alone millionaires because they represent an extremely small minority of the world's population.  College may not suit everyone on a personal basis but I most definitely believe that you it is an overall positive experience anyway you look at it.  To say it's not for you is one thing, but to say it's a waste of money is ignorant.  To those making the argument that individual a with no college degree is working alongside individual b with a degree making the same pay or a little less has to factor in that individual a had to work their way up to that position while individual b was handed it right after college.
For me, its like do I want to earn money my whole life or do I want to make money?  I could have easily started working early and grinding but the way the world is progressing in general, hard work will only take you so far without adequate knowledge and "pieces of paper."  I know such knowledge can be obtained nowadays for free through the internet but how exactly do you convey this to an employer in a 10-15 interview?

You know what college is really about? Networking and experience. This is what I realized about college. You meet people from all over the place, who have different connections and who might have parents with great businesses and what not. Along with that you do gain some knowledge and knowledge really is power. The people you mentioned btw in your list all either went to IVY league and dropped out which means they were brilliant before they got to college or they just had some ground breaking ideas. If you have one then there is no reason to go to college.

You know what college is really about? Networking and experience. This is what I realized about college. You meet people from all over the place, who have different connections and who might have parents with great businesses and what not. Along with that you do gain some knowledge and knowledge really is power. The people you mentioned btw in your list all either went to IVY league and dropped out which means they were brilliant before they got to college or they just had some ground breaking ideas. If you have one then there is no reason to go to college.

The misconception is that going to college means you will be successful, when that is not the case. Going to college is just one factor that helps people become successful. Its not the only factor and its not required to become successful.

The misconception is that going to college means you will be successful, when that is not the case. Going to college is just one factor that helps people become successful. Its not the only factor and its not required to become successful.

College is not for the aspiring millionaire. College trains you how to be a good employee.. The Billionaires mentioned don't have a job that pays them billions of dollars, they had an idea and lead the way. They didn't get lucky, they worked hard. But to the guy that said it was easier to become successful back then, you do realize there are more millionaires today than any other time in history right? And the amount of millionaires will double by 2020 because of the economic times we are in today.

If you want a good paying job and be "comfortable" then yes, go to school.

But to quote Jim Rohn, "A formal education will make you a living, self education will make you a fortune."

College is not for the aspiring millionaire. College trains you how to be a good employee.. The Billionaires mentioned don't have a job that pays them billions of dollars, they had an idea and lead the way. They didn't get lucky, they worked hard. But to the guy that said it was easier to become successful back then, you do realize there are more millionaires today than any other time in history right? And the amount of millionaires will double by 2020 because of the economic times we are in today.

If you want a good paying job and be "comfortable" then yes, go to school.

But to quote Jim Rohn, "A formal education will make you a living, self education will make you a fortune."

Originally Posted by mustbefire

To those making the argument that individual a with no college degree is working alongside individual b with a degree making the same pay or a little less has to factor in that individual a had to work their way up to that position while individual b was handed it right after college.

Perhaps I may be in the minority...but I'm currently a Network Analyst on a salary most college grads won't get fresh out of school and I certainly didn't have to work my way up. I even applied with the original job description requiring a degree and still got it. My actual work skills trumped any "prestige" of having a piece of paper that said I'm "qualified" to be a professional.
My general point is:

There is no script to follow when it comes to this. Ignore statistics, forbes lists, famous dropouts, etc. and personalize your decision based STRICTLY on yourself and what you find will work for you. I aspire to ultimately run my own art direction company full time (I'm doing it on a freelance basis now). It is very much a talent driven and a "who you know" type of  environment. Degrees tend to be extra bells and whistles for the most part based on what I've seen and who I know. Now If I wanted to be a doctor...I understand that this path isn't possible. That's why I say there's no script to follow. Arguments can be made on either side depending on one's prospective career and talents.

Couldn't have said it any better

To those making the argument that individual a with no college degree is working alongside individual b with a degree making the same pay or a little less has to factor in that individual a had to work their way up to that position while individual b was handed it right after college.

Perhaps I may be in the minority...but I'm currently a Network Analyst on a salary most college grads won't get fresh out of school and I certainly didn't have to work my way up. I even applied with the original job description requiring a degree and still got it. My actual work skills trumped any "prestige" of having a piece of paper that said I'm "qualified" to be a professional.
My general point is:

There is no script to follow when it comes to this. Ignore statistics, forbes lists, famous dropouts, etc. and personalize your decision based STRICTLY on yourself and what you find will work for you. I aspire to ultimately run my own art direction company full time (I'm doing it on a freelance basis now). It is very much a talent driven and a "who you know" type of  environment. Degrees tend to be extra bells and whistles for the most part based on what I've seen and who I know. Now If I wanted to be a doctor...I understand that this path isn't possible. That's why I say there's no script to follow. Arguments can be made on either side depending on one's prospective career and talents.

Couldn't have said it any better

People that you listed only come around once a century so you can forget about that. Obtaining a degree doesn't guarantee success either. Moving forward, you will always have to work your tail off. Having a degree just gives you a much better chance out the gate.

And also, there are alot of different skills that you obtain from your college experience that are worth it too imo

People that you listed only come around once a century so you can forget about that. Obtaining a degree doesn't guarantee success either. Moving forward, you will always have to work your tail off. Having a degree just gives you a much better chance out the gate.

And also, there are alot of different skills that you obtain from your college experience that are worth it too imo

While my feelings about social life in college are very similar to Im Not You, I've definitely valued what I've learned in college.  I like to learn, read etc. so for me college has been cool in that regards.  Lots of the classes I've taken, things that I've read have significantly helped to shape my life views and values and confirmed previous notions I've had while developing them at the same time.  Education has been the one thing my parents put no cap on me financially and I'm glad they did cause it has made me an intelligent person and I've come to that education tremendously.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

The problem to me with college is I was over a lot of the recklessly blacking drunk shenanigans and sitting around getting high all day when I got out of high school and lots of kids were just getting into that stuff.  The problem with American education is that people go to get a job, not to learn.  In Europe and lots of other places people actually have an interest in what they are studying, its not just a supplement to the social life.  College in that regards has been overexpanded because people who really go there with no purpose are just taking up space.  There is a reason we have fallen back compared to other developed nations in math and science, the focus in college is just now to come out and earn money.  Our best minds go into finance instead of developing new medicines, engineering etc.

Here's an interesting article on what some are predicting to be the education bubble

[h1] Is it really the next bubble? [/h1]
Apr 21st 2011, 15:59 by Lexington

A LOT of people, not least my colleague Schumpeter, have been saying lately that the next bubble to burst is going to be in higher education. The idea is that people are spending too much on higher education, taking on too much debt, and failing to get the reward they expect. This bubble is bound to burst, and will leave American colleges and universities with huge over-capacity. One strong advocate of this view is Peter Thiel, a legendary investor in Facebook, who featured in the film, “The Social Network

While my feelings about social life in college are very similar to Im Not You, I've definitely valued what I've learned in college.  I like to learn, read etc. so for me college has been cool in that regards.  Lots of the classes I've taken, things that I've read have significantly helped to shape my life views and values and confirmed previous notions I've had while developing them at the same time.  Education has been the one thing my parents put no cap on me financially and I'm glad they did cause it has made me an intelligent person and I've come to that education tremendously.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

The problem to me with college is I was over a lot of the recklessly blacking drunk shenanigans and sitting around getting high all day when I got out of high school and lots of kids were just getting into that stuff.  The problem with American education is that people go to get a job, not to learn.  In Europe and lots of other places people actually have an interest in what they are studying, its not just a supplement to the social life.  College in that regards has been overexpanded because people who really go there with no purpose are just taking up space.  There is a reason we have fallen back compared to other developed nations in math and science, the focus in college is just now to come out and earn money.  Our best minds go into finance instead of developing new medicines, engineering etc.

Here's an interesting article on what some are predicting to be the education bubble

[h1] Is it really the next bubble? [/h1]
Apr 21st 2011, 15:59 by Lexington

A LOT of people, not least my colleague Schumpeter, have been saying lately that the next bubble to burst is going to be in higher education. The idea is that people are spending too much on higher education, taking on too much debt, and failing to get the reward they expect. This bubble is bound to burst, and will leave American colleges and universities with huge over-capacity. One strong advocate of this view is Peter Thiel, a legendary investor in Facebook, who featured in the film, “The Social Network

It's not the only route.

But it is the BEST route.

There's more to it than just the scholastic education.

It's not the only route.

But it is the BEST route.

There's more to it than just the scholastic education.

Im Not You you have to be certified to be a network analyst, no?

I have all my certifications. I had my A+ done literally while I was in my first year of school all on my own. Nobody told me to do it...I just always looked at the IT field as my "Plan B" if athletics failed (which they did obviously
laugh.gif
). I actually worked at my current gig for a minute while they paid for my Wireshark training and that's how I picked up my actual network analyst cert.

Im Not You you have to be certified to be a network analyst, no?

I have all my certifications. I had my A+ done literally while I was in my first year of school all on my own. Nobody told me to do it...I just always looked at the IT field as my "Plan B" if athletics failed (which they did obviously
laugh.gif
). I actually worked at my current gig for a minute while they paid for my Wireshark training and that's how I picked up my actual network analyst cert.

Originally Posted by Slicknick951

Originally Posted by burgundyaltima

hmmm what about those with a college degree that still cant get a job? or have a college degree but working a job outside of their degree? lol ..like seriously.. i have friends who work at walmart..mcdonalds etc WhO HAVE college degrees ..and STILL cant get a job ..because either the field they going into is already saturated OR..employers want someone with 5+ experience...lol smh...and hell i know some people without a degree that are doing very well (business, real estate, taxi drivers, sanitation workers, postal workers) ..but for me...looking at the future aspect ..i think having a solid education that you can always fall back on is important and ive notice that they are more commonly required on some applications there days...........

THIS
+2, get the education cuz. Hopefully the job market will pick up in the future, better to have the degree than not. I have a fairly good job and no degree, but i'm still in college trying to obtain one for the future. A few of my boys have degrees and are working #*#$*% jobs. Just keep grinding

Back
Top Bottom