Why do people think college is the best route to go ?

Originally Posted by Slicknick951

Originally Posted by burgundyaltima

hmmm what about those with a college degree that still cant get a job? or have a college degree but working a job outside of their degree? lol ..like seriously.. i have friends who work at walmart..mcdonalds etc WhO HAVE college degrees ..and STILL cant get a job ..because either the field they going into is already saturated OR..employers want someone with 5+ experience...lol smh...and hell i know some people without a degree that are doing very well (business, real estate, taxi drivers, sanitation workers, postal workers) ..but for me...looking at the future aspect ..i think having a solid education that you can always fall back on is important and ive notice that they are more commonly required on some applications there days...........

THIS
+2, get the education cuz. Hopefully the job market will pick up in the future, better to have the degree than not. I have a fairly good job and no degree, but i'm still in college trying to obtain one for the future. A few of my boys have degrees and are working #*#$*% jobs. Just keep grinding

I HAD DREAMS TO WORK FOR NASA BUT I AIN'T NO ROCKET SCIENTIST

BUT COLLEGE IS THE WAY TO GO (SO THEY SAY)

I HAD DREAMS TO WORK FOR NASA BUT I AIN'T NO ROCKET SCIENTIST

BUT COLLEGE IS THE WAY TO GO (SO THEY SAY)

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Originally Posted by mustbefire

Im Not You you have to be certified to be a network analyst, no?

I have all my certifications. I had my A+ done literally while I was in my first year of school all on my own. Nobody told me to do it...I just always looked at the IT field as my "Plan B" if athletics failed (which they did obviously
laugh.gif
). I actually worked at my current gig for a minute while they paid for my Wireshark training and that's how I picked up my actual network analyst cert.
I'm just saying, certifications, degrees, etc. are all "pieces of papers" obtained through knowledge.  Kudo's to your accomplishments in the IT field but  you obviously got something out of going to school whether you finished or not.  Not everyone is blessed with that mindset of knowing exactly what they want to do with their life at such an early age.  
Personally, college affirmed all of the struggles and issues that I was preached to about by my parents growing up, but as a high schooler I didn't take it seriously.  I feel like I'm better equipped for life because of it but from all of the points y'all make I know its not the only determinant of financial success and stability.

I have all my certifications. I had my A+ done literally while I was in my first year of school all on my own. Nobody told me to do it...I just always looked at the IT field as my "Plan B" if athletics failed (which they did obviously
laugh.gif
). I actually worked at my current gig for a minute while they paid for my Wireshark training and that's how I picked up my actual network analyst cert.
I'm just saying, certifications, degrees, etc. are all "pieces of papers" obtained through knowledge.  Kudo's to your accomplishments in the IT field but  you obviously got something out of going to school whether you finished or not.  Not everyone is blessed with that mindset of knowing exactly what they want to do with their life at such an early age.  
Personally, college affirmed all of the struggles and issues that I was preached to about by my parents growing up, but as a high schooler I didn't take it seriously.  I feel like I'm better equipped for life because of it but from all of the points y'all make I know its not the only determinant of financial success and stability.

Originally Posted by The Prince of LA

So, I'm currently studying for back to back finals tommrow and I don't understand why people say one needs to go to college in order to be financially successful.
With the likes of Richard Branson, Bill Gates,  Steve Jobs, Ralph Lauren, Kirk Kerkorian (all Billionaires) never graduating college and the lack of emphasis that the past business geniuses ( Cornelius Vanderbilt, William Randolph Hearst, etc..) put on college, why have people been conditioned to believe that college is the best route to be successful.

I am not saying college can't help one achieve success but if time is slipping away studying rather than working wouldn't it be more prudent to skip college.

Discuss ???

bro... he dropped out of HARVARD...

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by The Prince of LA

So, I'm currently studying for back to back finals tommrow and I don't understand why people say one needs to go to college in order to be financially successful.
With the likes of Richard Branson, Bill Gates,  Steve Jobs, Ralph Lauren, Kirk Kerkorian (all Billionaires) never graduating college and the lack of emphasis that the past business geniuses ( Cornelius Vanderbilt, William Randolph Hearst, etc..) put on college, why have people been conditioned to believe that college is the best route to be successful.

I am not saying college can't help one achieve success but if time is slipping away studying rather than working wouldn't it be more prudent to skip college.

Discuss ???

bro... he dropped out of HARVARD...

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

A college degree gives you the best opportunity to get a job. I'm pretty sure you couldn't work for the people you listed without some sort of degree. Even they would tell you to get a degree.

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

A college degree gives you the best opportunity to get a job. I'm pretty sure you couldn't work for the people you listed without some sort of degree. Even they would tell you to get a degree.

laugh.gif
I'm just saying, certifications, degrees, etc. are all "pieces of papers" obtained through knowledge.  Kudo's to your accomplishments in the IT field but  you obviously got something out of going to school whether you finished or not.  
I went to school for art. Nothing I'm doing now came from school. My certs all came from non-degree programs.

laugh.gif
I'm just saying, certifications, degrees, etc. are all "pieces of papers" obtained through knowledge.  Kudo's to your accomplishments in the IT field but  you obviously got something out of going to school whether you finished or not.  
I went to school for art. Nothing I'm doing now came from school. My certs all came from non-degree programs.

Re: Why do people think college is the best route to go ?

why? ignorance.

...and
laugh.gif
 @ 'safest'

- the SAFEST thing you can do once you get out of HS to maintain a good living is learn a trade. medical field, electricians, plumbers, electronic technicians, computer techs, etc. these jobs make descent to great money and have very short programs to learn the craft.

- not knocking college degrees. get one of those too. but a trade is the easiest way to make a good living.

Re: Why do people think college is the best route to go ?

why? ignorance.

...and
laugh.gif
 @ 'safest'

- the SAFEST thing you can do once you get out of HS to maintain a good living is learn a trade. medical field, electricians, plumbers, electronic technicians, computer techs, etc. these jobs make descent to great money and have very short programs to learn the craft.

- not knocking college degrees. get one of those too. but a trade is the easiest way to make a good living.

Originally Posted by washanobotit

College is not for the aspiring millionaire. College trains you how to be a good employee.. The Billionaires mentioned don't have a job that pays them billions of dollars, they had an idea and lead the way. They didn't get lucky, they worked hard. But to the guy that said it was easier to become successful back then, you do realize there are more millionaires today than any other time in history right? And the amount of millionaires will double by 2020 because of the economic times we are in today.

If you want a good paying job and be "comfortable" then yes, go to school.

But to quote Jim Rohn, "A formal education will make you a living, self education will make you a fortune."
Very wise words.
College prepares students to take orders and work under people. It perpetuates the system. People seem to forget that college is a business.

Originally Posted by washanobotit

College is not for the aspiring millionaire. College trains you how to be a good employee.. The Billionaires mentioned don't have a job that pays them billions of dollars, they had an idea and lead the way. They didn't get lucky, they worked hard. But to the guy that said it was easier to become successful back then, you do realize there are more millionaires today than any other time in history right? And the amount of millionaires will double by 2020 because of the economic times we are in today.

If you want a good paying job and be "comfortable" then yes, go to school.

But to quote Jim Rohn, "A formal education will make you a living, self education will make you a fortune."
Very wise words.
College prepares students to take orders and work under people. It perpetuates the system. People seem to forget that college is a business.

what employers care about is that you were able to go through and persevere through all the BS in college and not quit..

it also shows that you can start something and finish it.. not many people can accomplish this.

NO ONE can ever take away that degree from you bro.

study hard and good luck.

what employers care about is that you were able to go through and persevere through all the BS in college and not quit..

it also shows that you can start something and finish it.. not many people can accomplish this.

Originally Posted by Dunk These

Word.

Originally Posted by Dunk These

Word.

Cause most of the common population isn't nearly as talented or skilled as the people you listed. Most people don't want to make an average salary, everyone wants loads of cash. And since they're not ridiculously skilled, college is the next best option (or only option in their case).

Cause most of the common population isn't nearly as talented or skilled as the people you listed. Most people don't want to make an average salary, everyone wants loads of cash. And since they're not ridiculously skilled, college is the next best option (or only option in their case).

I have been really struggling with this recently. Thanks for this post.

Can anyone who has taken a semester or two off chime in? Did you consider it a good decision once you went back?

I have been really struggling with this recently. Thanks for this post.

Can anyone who has taken a semester or two off chime in? Did you consider it a good decision once you went back?

Back
Top Bottom