Why do people think college is the best route to go ?

College is basically a tool to get you what you want in life. College works if you know what you're going to do and how you're going to get there. The successful people you mention are the outliers in the upper 2 percentile.

unless you get really lucky where are you gonna work? in a factory lifting boxes? all the people i know who dont have a college education have @@++ jobs.

unless you get really lucky where are you gonna work? in a factory lifting boxes? all the people i know who dont have a college education have @@++ jobs.

just to play devil's advocate what about the people that get a degree and do nothing with it? they spend all this money going to school to work side by side with someone who has no schooling at all in that field?

My girl worked at a daycare she has been doing it since hs and worked her way up to head teacher in one of the classes. Her coworker with a masters in teaching had the same title with only a dollar more an hour
indifferent.gif

just to play devil's advocate what about the people that get a degree and do nothing with it? they spend all this money going to school to work side by side with someone who has no schooling at all in that field?

My girl worked at a daycare she has been doing it since hs and worked her way up to head teacher in one of the classes. Her coworker with a masters in teaching had the same title with only a dollar more an hour
indifferent.gif

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a psychologist or a doctor, then you most certainly must go to college. There's no way around it. Other fields, say for example information systems, you may not actually need a degree to find work. However, you're going to find it much more difficult to do so and even if you do you may not be eligible to move up but so far.

You are right, though. For some people college isn't worth it. They absolutely loath learning/reading. Generally all around lazy when it comes to academics. These people shouldn't waste their time with school, but they should find a trade, go to a school for that specific trade and find work.

I can say the greatest things I learned from college were nothing technical. I don't even know how to fully explain it, but my outlook on so many things changed. It made me more confident, taught me the importance of acceptance of all types of people, skepticism, helping others, etc.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a psychologist or a doctor, then you most certainly must go to college. There's no way around it. Other fields, say for example information systems, you may not actually need a degree to find work. However, you're going to find it much more difficult to do so and even if you do you may not be eligible to move up but so far.

You are right, though. For some people college isn't worth it. They absolutely loath learning/reading. Generally all around lazy when it comes to academics. These people shouldn't waste their time with school, but they should find a trade, go to a school for that specific trade and find work.

I can say the greatest things I learned from college were nothing technical. I don't even know how to fully explain it, but my outlook on so many things changed. It made me more confident, taught me the importance of acceptance of all types of people, skepticism, helping others, etc.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by The Prince of LA

So, I'm currently studying for back to back finals tommrow and I don't understand why people say one needs to go to college in order to be financially successful.
With the likes of Richard Branson, Bill Gates,  Steve Jobs, Ralph Lauren, Kirk Kerkorian (all Billionaires) never graduating college and the lack of emphasis that the past business geniuses ( Cornelius Vanderbilt, William Randolph Hearst, etc..) put on college, why have people been conditioned to believe that college is the best route to be successful.

I am not saying college can't help one achieve success but if time is slipping away studying rather than working wouldn't it be more prudent to skip college.

Discuss ???
I never understood this line of reasoning. Not only do you acknowledge that the aforementioned are almost all geniuses in their respective fields, but every time this topic comes up, we fail to acknowledge the millions of people who didn't go to college who aren't successful, as if they just don't exist for the purpose of this argument.

The whole point is mute because success in anything isn't dependent on a college education or lack there of.

Personally though, institutionalized or not, I see a lot of benefits in going to college, many of them having little to do with class room education. But who am I to say it's the best way to go about finding success when it comes to another individual.
Excellent response

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by The Prince of LA

So, I'm currently studying for back to back finals tommrow and I don't understand why people say one needs to go to college in order to be financially successful.
With the likes of Richard Branson, Bill Gates,  Steve Jobs, Ralph Lauren, Kirk Kerkorian (all Billionaires) never graduating college and the lack of emphasis that the past business geniuses ( Cornelius Vanderbilt, William Randolph Hearst, etc..) put on college, why have people been conditioned to believe that college is the best route to be successful.

I am not saying college can't help one achieve success but if time is slipping away studying rather than working wouldn't it be more prudent to skip college.

Discuss ???
I never understood this line of reasoning. Not only do you acknowledge that the aforementioned are almost all geniuses in their respective fields, but every time this topic comes up, we fail to acknowledge the millions of people who didn't go to college who aren't successful, as if they just don't exist for the purpose of this argument.

The whole point is mute because success in anything isn't dependent on a college education or lack there of.

Personally though, institutionalized or not, I see a lot of benefits in going to college, many of them having little to do with class room education. But who am I to say it's the best way to go about finding success when it comes to another individual.
Excellent response

A college degree gives you the best opportunity to get a job. I'm pretty sure you couldn't work for the people you listed without some sort of degree. Even they would tell you to get a degree.

A college degree gives you the best opportunity to get a job. I'm pretty sure you couldn't work for the people you listed without some sort of degree. Even they would tell you to get a degree.

Man, you live once. I see some heads going to school just because their parents "Forces" or they live they'll let them down if they don't go. I always tell them just do you. If you have a plan, just go for it.

School just simply isn't for anyone. As dude named above named Bill Gates and Ralph Lauren as an example, you don't even have to be them to be successful. Theirs millions of people out their living stable and successful lives by carving their own route that didn't include college.

Man, you live once. I see some heads going to school just because their parents "Forces" or they live they'll let them down if they don't go. I always tell them just do you. If you have a plan, just go for it.

School just simply isn't for anyone. As dude named above named Bill Gates and Ralph Lauren as an example, you don't even have to be them to be successful. Theirs millions of people out their living stable and successful lives by carving their own route that didn't include college.

hmmm what about those with a college degree that still cant get a job? or have a college degree but working a job outside of their degree? lol ..like seriously.. i have friends who work at walmart..mcdonalds etc WhO HAVE college degrees ..and STILL cant get a job ..because either the field they going into is already saturated OR..employers want someone with 5+ experience...lol smh...and hell i know some people without a degree that are doing very well (business, real estate, taxi drivers, sanitation workers, postal workers) ..but for me...looking at the future aspect ..i think having a solid education that you can always fall back on is important and ive notice that they are more commonly required on some applications these days...........

hmmm what about those with a college degree that still cant get a job? or have a college degree but working a job outside of their degree? lol ..like seriously.. i have friends who work at walmart..mcdonalds etc WhO HAVE college degrees ..and STILL cant get a job ..because either the field they going into is already saturated OR..employers want someone with 5+ experience...lol smh...and hell i know some people without a degree that are doing very well (business, real estate, taxi drivers, sanitation workers, postal workers) ..but for me...looking at the future aspect ..i think having a solid education that you can always fall back on is important and ive notice that they are more commonly required on some applications these days...........

Originally Posted by burgundyaltima

hmmm what about those with a college degree that still cant get a job? or have a college degree but working a job outside of their degree? lol ..like seriously.. i have friends who work at walmart..mcdonalds etc WhO HAVE college degrees ..and STILL cant get a job ..because either the field they going into is already saturated OR..employers want someone with 5+ experience...lol smh...and hell i know some people without a degree that are doing very well (business, real estate, taxi drivers, sanitation workers, postal workers) ..but for me...looking at the future aspect ..i think having a solid education that you can always fall back on is important and ive notice that they are more commonly required on some applications there days...........

THIS

Originally Posted by burgundyaltima

hmmm what about those with a college degree that still cant get a job? or have a college degree but working a job outside of their degree? lol ..like seriously.. i have friends who work at walmart..mcdonalds etc WhO HAVE college degrees ..and STILL cant get a job ..because either the field they going into is already saturated OR..employers want someone with 5+ experience...lol smh...and hell i know some people without a degree that are doing very well (business, real estate, taxi drivers, sanitation workers, postal workers) ..but for me...looking at the future aspect ..i think having a solid education that you can always fall back on is important and ive notice that they are more commonly required on some applications there days...........

THIS

Lord knows I have a MAJOR dislike for the entire process. But for some reason I've been feeling like going back because I feel like it'll help me become a better artist.
The whole "college experience prepares you for life and dealing w/ people" idea never applied to me. I was exposed to alot at a young age. My people skills were much more advanced than the average teen when I graduated HS. When I actually got to college it felt like a huge waste of time after awhile. 

Call it my ego but I always respect people more when I hear that they have their bachelors or masters.

I've NEVER understood this thought process. 

Lord knows I have a MAJOR dislike for the entire process. But for some reason I've been feeling like going back because I feel like it'll help me become a better artist.
The whole "college experience prepares you for life and dealing w/ people" idea never applied to me. I was exposed to alot at a young age. My people skills were much more advanced than the average teen when I graduated HS. When I actually got to college it felt like a huge waste of time after awhile. 

Call it my ego but I always respect people more when I hear that they have their bachelors or masters.

I've NEVER understood this thought process. 

Because it's proven that people with college degrees get higher paying jobs??

How often do people like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Richard Branson, etc. come up? If you haven't noticed, they're all around the same age, it was a lot easier to become successful in their time....
even then, they're all very intelligent.
If you're not gonna go the college route, you better have some great connections...

How often do people like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Richard Branson, etc. come up? If you haven't noticed, they're all around the same age, it was a lot easier to become successful in their time....
If you're not gonna go the college route, you better have some great connections...

Hizzle wrote:

This. Whats the point of going $30k into debt to work retail at minimum wage? Learn something like sonography, MRI tech, CRNA, mechanic, dental assistant, etc. if you're not an academic person. Quick, cheap, and useful.

Hizzle wrote:

This. Whats the point of going $30k into debt to work retail at minimum wage? Learn something like sonography, MRI tech, CRNA, mechanic, dental assistant, etc. if you're not an academic person. Quick, cheap, and useful.

Originally Posted by StreetPharmacist

I always hate when this argument comes up and people bring up BILLIONAIRES. 

What's the probability of any of us - college degree or not - ever becoming billionaires? That's a moot point for either argument. There are tons of people however, without degrees, who make good money being a self starter...especially in creative fields. 

As far as having connections...that's important to have for EVERYONE.

Originally Posted by StreetPharmacist

I always hate when this argument comes up and people bring up BILLIONAIRES. 

What's the probability of any of us - college degree or not - ever becoming billionaires? That's a moot point for either argument. There are tons of people however, without degrees, who make good money being a self starter...especially in creative fields. 

As far as having connections...that's important to have for EVERYONE.

Back
Top Bottom