We Still Believe!!! Team Pilipinas 2009

^I agree. I don't see Team Pilipinas doing very well in FIBA. It's only a few weeks from now and they aren't ready.

Sana makinig ang team pilipinas sa mga commentators ng jones cup. Just too much overdribbling, no concept of making the extra pass. Everybody is looking forthe spectacular play instead of the right play.

Yeng selects japeth to be one of the 12 yet ranidel got more minutes in the Iran game. I'm not a big fan of Yeng even in the pba but lets just hope heover-achieves just like in the pba.

Sana naman magkaroon ng continuity yung Team Pilipinas. We cant have a different coach and different players everytime. I really wouldve preffered Chot tocomeback and keep the core of the last asian games. Kelangan tlga ng naturalized the 7 footer. EJ feighl looks stupid in the pba was actually decent in AsianGames. Pano pa kung 7footer that can actually play. Even someone smaller like Sam Ekwe will do.

^Also surprised that Chot did not return as the National Coach. I think there was some progress there even if we finished poorly.

Also whats up with SBP and what are the other groups who just keeps on getting the PH suspended in international play. If I am not mistaken Chot's groupprepared for a long time and then were not able to participate in one of the tourneys (Jones Cup ata) because we were suspended by FIBA. Justfoolish...personal interest before the interest of the sport and the country.

Hello guys, just come back from the last day of the jones cup in taipei. it's nice to see the RP team playing here although james and nick are abscent andjj is not playing. finally gt to watch the game live coz i have been waiting for three years for this moment. the game was delayed coz of the broken shot clockbut both RP and Iran team players made it bcm an autograph session and soccer camp. it doesnt matter who win or lose in the end of the game. i have to say theRP team gt the best uniform from nike. they have to add more talents to the team if they want to beat those mid-asia monster teams.
i was wondering why the team put a yellow patch on their jerseys and now i knw why. best wishes for the former 1st family and all of u.

anyone gt the new nike RP team stuff for sell?

good defense is always followed by good offense, tsaka sa depensa walang malas.
if only we have Distrito, I think they'll think twice before driving to the hoop, we don't
have an enforcer in the team someone that can intimidate are opponent or can dominate
the game without scoring, like Coach Yeng hahaha.
Honestly I find Yeng intimidating, its not really the height factor why he did not picked Jimmy
he just dont like him, same with Mac Cardona but I can't blame him if he does'nt like Mac2.

Skill beats Size .. Technique beats strenght all the time Goerge St.Pierre

Look what happened to UP vs ADMU game....

89 points scored by 1 man, opponents coach should get axe

Originally Posted by jeyps11cab

Long term team...
It's only early this decade that the NBA realized that they cannot continue to select "stars" and win it all. We saw what happened in Indiana and the other international championships early this decade. Only until USA Basketball devoted a group of players who are committed to play for years with the team did they understand the system and played well (won the gold medal). The same thing needs to be done here. Keep this team for the next 2-4 years (add some youth into it) and keep on competing internationally and maybe we will have a chance. Problem is every time there is a change in the coaching staff there are changes in the line up. Maybe the coach should sign on for a longer period of time as well.
The RP 2012 Olympic Team (Smart Gilas) has started training a year ago. This is a long term national program. They begged the PBA to represent thecountry for the last time this year since smart gilas is still to raw, hence Powerade team pilipinas was made.

Ryan Reyes can still make the Final Line-Up if the doctor declares he can play. Yeng said he will make a room for him if he's at least 90% healthy. I hopehe's healthy, we badly need a PG. Cyrus can be a reserve.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by pavehawk2323

Look what happened to UP vs ADMU game....

89 points scored by 1 man, opponents coach should get axe

I don't get what you mean.

I think he's reffering to JRU's joshua saret scoring 89pts + quadruple double against AU in the NCAA jrs with AU losing 171-43. Not related to thetopic but just totally embarassing. I'll probably hurt the guy before I allow him to out score my whole team lol

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/168006/Bombs-away-JRUs-Saret-fires-89-points-in-NCAA-jrs

^ they have to finish in the top 3 in the tianjin asian championships for them to qualify for the 2010 world championships.

I think he's reffering to JRU's joshua saret scoring 89pts + quadruple double against AU in the NCAA jrs with AU losing 171-43.

Wow.

I guess the question is what was the competition like. Did they even put up a fight? In any case, that's still quite an accomplishment. Averaging 2+ pointsper minute in a game isn't an easy thing to do.

i think talagang walang pupuntahin tong RP team natin. Yeng said that in order for Phil team to win, they need to make the 3's. E panong makakashoot ng3's yun eh yung ginawa nyang line up e di naman pang 3 points. An example is Norwood. I think Norwood is a good player. Long and athletic. But he playslike the typical American who dribbles too much and no perimeter shooting. Dapat di sya sinama sa team. Mas magaling sya kay Ranidel pag larong Pinas, pero paglarong international, mas me asim pa si Ranidel sa kanya kasi me tira sa labas si Ranidel. Tapos ang plano lang pala talaga ni yeng e makaabot ngquarterfinals. It is already an achievement for the team. Then pag nakarating daw ng semis it's already a bonus.....Kinokundisyon nya na tayo na aboveaverage performance nila pag nakarating ng quarterfinals.........

Originally Posted by littlebenben

Hello guys, just come back from the last day of the jones cup in taipei. it's nice to see the RP team playing here although james and nick are abscent and jj is not playing. finally gt to watch the game live coz i have been waiting for three years for this moment. the game was delayed coz of the broken shot clock but both RP and Iran team players made it bcm an autograph session and soccer camp. it doesnt matter who win or lose in the end of the game. i have to say the RP team gt the best uniform from nike. they have to add more talents to the team if they want to beat those mid-asia monster teams.
i was wondering why the team put a yellow patch on their jerseys and now i knw why. best wishes for the former 1st family and all of u.

anyone gt the new nike RP team stuff for sell?
Ben! Are you back in the country? I haven't seen you since the last time we played ball in the Zone!!!

Back to the topic, I remember back then, Chot Reyes was actually supposed to stay for the long haul but because of all the suspension stuff that happenedbefore, and then I donno what happened and then he wasn't the coach anymore.

I think the Smart Gilas Team is our best hope. They're all young and being primed for international play. I believe that if some of those guys ever get thechance to play in Europe or somewhere, they should let em go!! =)

We really need a big naturalize player which can dominate the inside, which coach Rajko is working right now for the Smart Gilas..

Smart-Gilas 5 brings hope for future
By Joaquin Henson

MANILA, Philippines - No matter how Powerade Team Pilipinas performs at the FIBA-Asia Championships in Tianjin on Aug. 6-16, SBP executive director Noli Ealasaid yesterday the hope of the future of Philippine basketball lies in the Smart-Gilas developmental program under Serbian coach Rajko Toroman's direction.

Eala confirmed that Powerade is the last PBA selection to represent the country in international competitions as starting the Asian Games in Guangzhou nextyear, it will be Smart-Gilas wearing the national colors.

"Powerade is an SBP team and the SBP fully supports its campaign to qualify for the World Championships in Turkey next year," said Eala. "Butunder the circumstances of the PBA, we realize how difficult it is to put together a national team made up of pros because of scheduling difficulties. Itisn't easy to give a PBA selection enough exposure to the international style because of limited games. The example is clear in the Jones Cup whereeverybody acknowledged that our players were the most individually skilled in the tournament but we could only win twice because of lack of exposure to teamplay. However, we're hoping the experience in Taipei will go a long way in making us title contenders in Tianjin."

Eala said Toroman's involvement is key in tracking Smart-Gilas' progress.

"We're fortunate that coach Rajko has agreed to stay the course with us for at least three years," he continued. "His participation isimportant. He knows the international game. He brought Iran to the Olympics last year as the Asian champion. I don't think our developmental programcould've taken off if not for coach Rajko."

Starting yesterday, Toroman has called for thrice-a-week practice with the Smart-Gilas cagers who are not playing in the UAAP, NCAA, CESAFI or any otherleague. Those who are playing in other leagues will be called in for practice once a week.

Among the Smart-Gilas cagers are Chris Tiu, Mac Baracael, Greg Slaughter, Jason Ballesteros, Jayvee Casio, R. J. Jazul, Rey Guevara, Andy Barroca, AlrechRamos, Ryan Buenafe and J. R. Cawaling. In Toroman's wish list are Japeth Aguilar, Junmar Fajardo, Rabeh Al-Hussaini and Paul Lee. Fil-foreigners beingrecruited to reinforce the team include Chris Lutz of Marshall University and Sean Anthony of McGill University who are both arriving to report for duty onAug. 1.

Two foreigners will also be signed up as candidates for naturalization. One is 6-10, 240-pound C. J. Giles who played for the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBApreseason last October. Giles, 23, saw action for Kansas and Oregon State in the US NCAA. Eala said Toroman is reviewing the list of other candidates,including a 6-10 center who was Aguilar's teammate at Western Kentucky and is his sister's boyfriend.

Smart-Gilas will play in the coming PBA Philippine Cup as a guest entry.

"The Asian Games will be our initial barometer, our first test case," said Eala. "It will show us where we are with respect to the other Asianpowers. Our goal will be to make it to the semifinals." Ultimately, Smart-Gilas' objective is to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics via theFIBA-Asia Championships which Manila is bidding to host the year before.

Eala said a full plate is in front of Smart-Gilas as the direction is to expose the players to as much international competition as possible. In September,there is an invitation to play China, Korea, Japan and a US team in a tournament being organized by former FIBA president Dr. Carl Men Ky Ching in China. InDecember, the team will likely play at the prestigious Haarlem tournament in Holland. And in January, Smart-Gilas will see action in Dubai.

"Smart-Gilas is the clear and right solution to our problem of preparing a competitive team for international tournaments," said Eala. "I thinkwith coach Rajko, we are on track to put together a cohesive unit that can be a title contender in Asia."

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=490937&publicationSubCategoryId=69

wouldn't it be an empty victory if we succeed at international competitions with naturalized players contributing heavily to the RP team?

This is War..
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

If they will be pushing through with the red jerseys, most probably it would look like this...

Originally Posted by maxtempo96

wouldn't it be an empty victory if we succeed at international competitions with naturalized players contributing heavily to the RP team?
^Co-sign, dude! I have a lot of confidence in the Smart Gilas team that's been together for almost a year already. In that span of time,they've been to more international training/tournaments than Powerade-Pilipinas. Its not that I don't like the PBA backed RP Team, some of the playersthere really deserve their respective roster spots. But at the end of the day, what they've showed won't get them too far in Fiba Asia.

In all honesty, I hope they prove me wrong. But realistically speaking, after seeing them in the Jones Cup, I'll have to agree with Yeng Guiao'sassessment that making the semi-finals will already be a major achievement. Let's just support them either way, its for flag and country after all.

As what I've heard, Powerade Team Pilipinas will be wearing their red jersey if they'll be able to finish top 3 on their division on FIBA Asia.

Back
Top Bottom