We Still Believe!!! Team Pilipinas 2009

Team Pilipinas was playing better when Helterbrand was in the game. There was more fluid passing which resulted in better shots, but when Miller came in, itall came crashing down. To be fair, Lebanon is a huge team, Cyrus was having trouble getting to the rim.

Jackson Vroman's a little sissy boy...
roll.gif

its my first time seeing team Pilipinas played here's my 2cents:

yeng cant coach, but a great motivator. the type of coach who can pick out five guys on the street and still can win.

run is all we can do offensively, too fast, too many turnovers

we're a talented bunch, but God made us short.

a good point guard like (insert) and a dominant big man who can score and defend is badly needed.

they should change the commentators. you cant blame them though, they literally call all the games.

lets be honest with ourselves, the best days of basketball might be over for us. the last great teams were the centenial team and the 02 bunch.
ironically those teams were composed of mainly REAL Filipinos, the more we infused our team with more filams the more we lose. with the talent they have theyshould make us better, not worst. (just my observation) ask anyone today who's better duremdes or norwood, johnny or jimmy? you know the answers. butsomewhat those oldschool vets found a way to win. Talent alone cant win you games.

peace.

you're right manilaboyxix, too much 1 on 1 on our team, they really need to learn to play team game, as what the commentator said awhile ago, the Lebanonand other teams playing in the Jones Cup are playing overseas and learn how to play in different environment, while the Philippines are star players in ourcountry and playing domestically, well i really can't blame the commentator, as I know our team is also in the learning process, they had a hard timepracticing all together due to their team commitments as well, BUT I STILL BELIEVE!
smile.gif

^^ I totally agree bro...look at the names at the back of those jerseys...

Pennissi
Taulava
Norwood
Dillinger
Helterbrand
Thoss
Williams (not playing)
R. Reyes

More than half of the team is made up of players that didn't even grow up here. That leaves Raymundo, Santos, Miller, De Ocampo, Baguio and Aguilar as the100% homegrown bunch. Ang labo ng concept natin of a team eh. Oh well, too close to Fiba Asia already.
eyes.gif

Was my first time to watch the RP team awhile ago against Lebanon, and man those Lebanese platers are huge, that Bryan Feghali improved leaps and bounds, lasttime I saw him play he wasn't that good, but in today's game he played really well, was hitting the outside shots, driving to the hole and alsocreating for his teammates. That would be a tough team to beat in FIBA.

As with our RP team, Jason is right, they need a natural PG in the mold of a Johnny A or Hector Calma, who would facilitate and create for the team. Jayjay andWillie are good players but IMO are not natural PG, they are scoring guards and no offense to Jayay H fans, but the guy dribbles too much, I don't know ifyou noticed it during the early parts of the 3rd, there was a play when jayjay was in the corner and was trying to move past his man by dribbling and crossingover against his oppenent for several seconds and when the lebanese didn't take his bluff he just passed to Kerby with a few sec on the shot clock justshot the 3. Yeng was really frustrated that he even mocked what jayjay was doing. haha In international play, the ball should be constantly moving.

They also need a legit big man, and not Mick or Asi. They are old and too slow for other bigs. Japeth has the potential but too young and inexperienced and abit passive as he was during his Ateneo days. He should go back to Ateneo and look for the Big Man's Coach that thought Rabeh how to play. IMO at thispoint in time, I'd go with Rabeh over Japeth anyday. You can argue that Rabeh is playing with college kids,but you can see the low post moves and skill setthat he has. If Japeth learns to move like that then he could really be the next domninant big man.

They also had too many TO's. It's like watching a UAAP team play.

Other than that, let's just hope that they are currently tanking games to elude the scouts of other teams coz if this is how they really play, we wouldneed a lot of luck to be in the top 3 come FIBA Asia.

BTW, IMO the Smart Gilas team looks better than these guys are. More balanced and complete team that just needs a few more seasonings.

Reyes is 100% Fil and so as JayJay, he just changed his last name after her mom remarried to Ronald Helterbrand

Originally Posted by manilaboyxix

puro 1 on 1 plays
frown.gif

i agree. too much flair. we won't win with this type of basketball given that we're not as physically and athletically gifted as the other teams.

Originally Posted by jason16

its my first time seeing team Pilipinas played here's my 2cents:

yeng cant coach, but a great motivator. the type of coach who can pick out five guys on the street and still can win.

run is all we can do offensively, too fast, too many turnovers

we're a talented bunch, but God made us short.

a good point guard like (insert) and a dominant big man who can score and defend is badly needed.

they should change the commentators. you cant blame them though, they literally call all the games.

lets be honest with ourselves, the best days of basketball might be over for us. the last great teams were the centenial team and the 02 bunch.
ironically those teams were composed of mainly REAL Filipinos, the more we infused our team with more filams the more we lose. with the talent they have they should make us better, not worst. (just my observation) ask anyone today who's better duremdes or norwood, johnny or jimmy? you know the answers. but somewhat those oldschool vets found a way to win. Talent alone cant win you games.

peace.
great observation, masyado tayo nayayari sa TO's saka sa dami ng Fouls na binibagy natin

Have patience guys. The way I see it, they're going all out come August. Imagine Yeng not calling so many timeouts and not shouting at the sidelines theway he used to. The players aren't even as animated on the bench even if Japeth makes his highlight reels. I'm not really enjoying our team lose inthis tournament but the way I see it, they're playing mind games and testing the opponents' capabilities and limitations. Remember, last year, we beatIran, Taiwan, Korea, Lebanon and other powerhouse teams in different tourneys including the Jones Cup and we were so hyped that even the FIBA website had apoll if the Philippines would go all the way. Unfortunately we ended up finishing 9th. I think the coaching staff knows how mentally pressuring the hype wouldbe if all the teams would want to come after us just like last year. In this tournament, JJ is the only legit PG playing, Asi and Mick aren't being usedthat much and the calls just suck big time. I think it's better that teams are disregarding us and laughing at us right now. And may I just add, FIBA nowaffirms SBP as the Official and Legit Basketball Governing Body of the Philippines. Time to move on...I'm hoping and I have a feeling that we are Lockedand Loaded come Tianjin!
smokin.gif

just finished watching all of our games even though i already knew the results before hand.it's like cutting yourself for pleasure.

just a few thoughts:

we obviously play too much one-on-one and dribble the ball much more than necessary.but what i can't stand is how lax everybody plays out there.almost allour turnovers could have easily been prevented if the guys have their heads in the game.

our play is almost always rugged and improv'd which does not lend itself well in the traditional,structured international style of play.moving without theball and setting multiple picks to get an open shot come few and far between for us while the other teams play like they're trying to get rip hamilton orreggie miller an open look.

most of our guys have the "i gotta get mines" mind set and not looking to make the right team play.another no-no for international play.

i still have hope that we can make an impact once again in international play at least within my lifetime.but that may be a long ways off from happening.

Agree @Jason16, Yeng can't coach, has will and nice 12 man rotation though but that's it. I've never seen a great play out of a time out from himeven in the PBA.

On the premise that the Philippine team is 'hiding its cards', anyway the other teams are doing that as well.....I don't get that. Why join at allif that's the case? To scope out and test the other teams? But if they're hiding their 'cards' as well????? duh.......man that's just weirdIMO. and if that WERE the case, you still have to respect the game to play respectable ball. Like what one previous post said, hiding Danny Siegle didn'treally do wonders did it.

^^ That was a classic team right there! Much as I hate to admit it, I think Tim Cone did one fine job coaching that team. Look at the composition. It hadheight in Marlou and EJ, had the shooting of Jolas and Caidic, the post moves of Limpot and Patrimonio, the slashing of Duremdes and the speed and savvy ofJohnny A. and Olsen.

YAN ANG TEAM! Puro purong Pinoy pa (except Andy Seigle)
indifferent.gif

ill try my best:
patrimonio- playoffs XIII
Jolas- fila
caidic-cons
cariaso-jordan team
keneth and meneses- adidas, sig ni antonie wallker dati
Limpot white red XIII's same as racela i think
pls correct me if im wrong
happy.gif

Nice uniforms btw, one team used it during our intrams in hs.
pimp.gif

looks like team philippines is starting to gel. they are playing better and some of the players are bodying the tall koreans. hope they can get the W to boosttheir morale.

Originally Posted by jason16

ill try my best:
patrimonio- playoffs XIII
Jolas- fila
caidic-cons
cariaso-jordan team
keneth and meneses- adidas, sig ni antonie wallker dati
Limpot white red XIII's same as racela i think
pls correct me if im wrong
happy.gif

Nice uniforms btw, one team used it during our intrams in hs.
pimp.gif

nicely done pareng jason!!! hahahaha... XIIIs
pimp.gif

Talo nanaman ang Pinas.. hehehe.. But I still want to believe that Yeng isn't playing his main guys for a reason.. parang tinatago niya ung laro natin parahindi macheck pagdating ng FIBA-Asia.. We Still Believe!

Back
Top Bottom