We Still Believe!!! Team Pilipinas 2009

AG-WI-LAR!!!

sana makita ng lakers
smile.gif

I now present you the Final 12...

Yeng Guiao disclosed the final line-up of the Powerade-RP Team to the 25th FIBA Asia Men's Championship set Aug. 6-16 in Tianjin, China.

The team will be composed of Jayjay Helterbrand, Willie Miller, Gabe Norwood, Arwind Santos, Jared Dillinger, Cyrus Baguio, Japeth Aguilar, Kerby Raymundo,Sonny Thoss, James Yap, Asi Taulava, and Mick Pennisi.

from Rick Olivares

reyes and De Ocampo were the ones cut from the team?oh wel. with a line up like that, you can cut anybody and they would still perform the same way. I hope imstill alive to witness a Philippine team going all the way to the finals of Fiba-asia.

Jimmy Alapag not being part of the team playing in Tianjin is both expected and to a certain degree, a surprise. Since he was never part of the process inthe first place (correct me if I'm wrong), it makes no sense for Yeng to give it consideration this late in the process. In fact, Yeng himself made acomment about Jimmy A's height being a potential handicap in international games. So with that said, him not being included in the final 12 does notsurprise me.

On the other hand, it comes as a surprise because Yeng saw what Willie Miller was (un)capable of doing against teams that press and play zone night in andnight out. Sure, Helterbrand is back but he's most certainly not playing at 100%. If by some twist of misfortune he gets hit by an injury ni Tianjin, thenwe're left with Willie. No offense to the former MVP, but that's certainly not good news.

Jayjay Helterbrand, Willie Miller, Gabe Norwood, Arwind Santos, Jared Dillinger, Cyrus Baguio, Japeth Aguilar, KerbyRaymundo, Sonny Thoss, James Yap, Asi Taulava, and Mick Pennisi.

we seriously need alapag in there.eff height yeng,its not the size of the dog in the fight that matters its the size of the fight in the dog.

i'd take jay-r reyes over thoss aswell.too bad kelly williams can't play.i'd swap him with dilinger in a heartbeat.

Sana makakuha ng maraming playing time si arwind, japeth at gabe. Japeth is the lone brightspot for team pilipinas. I hope he learns a lot in this yrs tourney.Sayang lang talaga si Jimmy, sya lang yung bumuhay sa team pilipinas dati. He's small but probaby the quickest that time in asian games. Was also the bestshooter and can get a lot of calls. He was considered one of the best in asia but yeng didnt see that. Jimmy A passing to Japeth wouldve been nice to see.

Sayang din si Kelly at Ryan, ngayon pa naijured. Now the team relies on JJ. Sana pakinggan ni JJ yung sinabi ni Chino last Asian games..."sige jj dribble,dribble pa, akala ata ni JJ may puntos ang dribble"

Too bad Kelly & Ryan is injured, Team Philippines really need their services...

GOODLUCK TEAM PHILIPPINES!!! WE STILL BELIEVE!!!

Still no jimmy? he did played well in the past tournaments, a guy who can pass and shoot. agree with maxtempo, its not always the size of the dog..yeng hadto be one of the worst, if not the worst coach we ever had in terms of international competition imo.

Originally Posted by jason16

Still no jimmy? he did played well in the past tournaments, a guy who can pass and shoot. agree with maxtempo, its not always the size of the dog..yeng had to be one of the worst, if not the worst coach we ever had in terms of international competition imo.
There will no late addition according to Yeng. Jimmy, in the first place wasn't part of his pool. Too bad. Knowing Yeng, he's reallyhard-headed
laugh.gif

I just wish them good luck!

jimmy a is not a handicap, he is actually the one who can blow past his defender and can dish out to his open teamates.I know he is small but compared tohelterbrand who is about 3" taller, I'd still take jimmy. as if by adding a bigger pg would help, hell other teams still tower over us on allpositions. so why not play our strengths rather than trying to match other teams height?

Originally Posted by soul228

Originally Posted by jason16

Still no jimmy? he did played well in the past tournaments, a guy who can pass and shoot. agree with maxtempo, its not always the size of the dog..yeng had to be one of the worst, if not the worst coach we ever had in terms of international competition imo.
There will no late addition according to Yeng. Jimmy, in the first place wasn't part of his pool. Too bad. Knowing Yeng, he's really hard-headed
laugh.gif

I just wish them good luck!

when you look at the structure of yeng's head, you know its hard
laugh.gif
.just play norwood @ 1 if he believes height matters in international competitions.

I agree with you jason16, play Norwood at the 1 spot, and with his athleticism, he'll get lots of mismatch against the other teams

what's the present condition of kelly williams now?

[color= rgb(102, 0, 204)]it's the length of one day.
One Half.
One shot clock.
This number is my promise,
to dominate every moment

24[/color]

We need JIMMY in this team, we need his leadership, his playmaking, shooting and most important of all is his desire to win in international competitions. Wheni watch the games before, you can really see from his game that he is giving his heart out everytime they play.

I miss Alapag too but we can't do anything about it.. All we can do is pray and believe that Team Pilipinas will give it their all in FIBA-Asia.. Let'sjust support them..

Jimmy cannot be included even if guiao had a change of heart since the pool of 22 players per country that would be selected upon for the fiba asia finalroster is already submitted back in the 1st week of july.

Same reason why winnie arboleda was cut on the team.

its time to admit it. other countries have passed us in intl ball. we love the nba & nba style of play too much but we cant use that style since we arentas physically gifted as the americans

Internaltional Play
Yeng Guiao's system is not suitable for International play. True that he has led a team of unknowns on the PBA to the finals but this is not the PBA. Prorules do not apply. Change your approach, strategy and preparation. US has had the same problems in the past few years. Pros representing the US who are veryunfamiliar with the international play. Before it was ok because they are just heads and shoulders above in talent. But when the rest of the world caught upproblems surfaced. You can call the same for the Philippines. We were heads and shoulder above in terms of talent before but that was just erased throughoutthe years

Long term team...
It's only early this decade that the NBA realized that they cannot continue to select "stars" and win it all. We saw what happened in Indiana andthe other international championships early this decade. Only until USA Basketball devoted a group of players who are committed to play for years with the teamdid they understand the system and played well (won the gold medal). The same thing needs to be done here. Keep this team for the next 2-4 years (add someyouth into it) and keep on competing internationally and maybe we will have a chance. Problem is every time there is a change in the coaching staff there arechanges in the line up. Maybe the coach should sign on for a longer period of time as well.

Positioning is the key
The team that they need to put together should address all the necessary positions that they will need. And not just your regular PG, OG, SF, PF and C. Youshould have that energy guy, that long defender, that spot up shooter, that combo guard etc. The game is way different and a lot more complicated now thanbefore and we have to adjust.

Watching the PH team play in the Jones Cup is really a strain in the eye. You expect the competition to be tougher in the Asian Championship. If this is whatwe are looking forward to then we shouldn't really expect a lot right.

Back
Top Bottom