We Still Believe!!! Team Pilipinas 2009

i'm surprised Gian Chiu's name has not been mentioned yet. this guy used to play for the ateneo high school team but moved to the US to try to pursue acollege scholarship. he is i think close to 7 feet now and is only 19 or 20 i think. he may be young but i think he can provide the philippine team with muchneeded size when going up against teams with size like china. those are my 2 cents

i think he's only 6'9".. he went back to the philippines a couple of years ago i think to train under kirk collier

Arwind Santos and Brian Feghali came into blows during Saturday's closed-door scrimmage between Powerade-Team Pilipinas and the visiting Lebanese national team.

The incidental fight and the slippery conditions at the Moro Lorenzo Sports Center inside the Ateneo campus led to the outright cancellation of the game.

At the time the game was interrupted early into the second half, the Lebanese were comfortably holding a 48-34 lead.

Lebanon head coach Dragan Raca, a Yugoslav based in Cyrus, walked over to RP coach Yeng Guiao - after recent addition Daniel Faris slipped and fell hard on themoist floor - and sought his opinion.

On confirmation from game officials, including a Lebanese referee, that both teams risk injury by proceeding, the two coaches agreed to call it off.

Guiao appeared disappointed the scrimmage had to be cut short. "We would've wanted to finish it and probably get a better view of the progress of theteam. But it happened and it's beyond our control."

"We had been shooting well in practice these last few days and I thought we would do better. Nobody stepped up," added Guiao, who expressed concernover the Nationals' continued outside shooting woes.

Defensively, the Nationals also found themselves on a disadvantage, barricaded in pursuit of their men by huge, immovable screens set by the Lebanese, theirfrontline made even bigger by the addition of 6-foot-10 Matt Freije and the 6-foot-9 Faris, a US NCAA player.

"It's really tough to get through 200-pound picks and that gave them a lot of good looks. We need to find solutionsto mismatches in every position," he said after watching the RP team fell behind after a good start.

The Nationals have two more games left in their week-long break between the William Jones Cup tournament in Taipei and the FIBA Asia, the qualifying tournamentto the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Istanbul, before they leave on August 4.

"We'll practice (Sunday) and go through our scouting report on South Korea," Guiao said."Then we'll be lifting weights after another practice on Monday."

Guiao brushed off the altercation that erupted between Santos and Feghali, who drilled five three-pointers against the Philippines in Taipei. "Wala namanyon."

Feghali reacted angrily after getting bumped by Santos inside the paint in front of the Lebanon basket. The Lebanese threw a punch and kicked, missing bothtimes.

"Di siya tumama," confirmed Santos, who appeared to have connected with a punch and with fingers jabbed atFeghali's chest.

Players from both teams stepped in and the two eventually shook hands after the practice game was halted.

"The Philippines remains a dangerous team," said Raca in thickly-accented English. "I think they will play better with every game."

The two teams are not slated to see each other until after the preliminaries when the top eight teams meet in the quarterfinal round.

Originally Posted by jmoney45

The Lebanese threw a punch and kicked, missing both times.

"Di siya tumama," confirmed Santos, who appeared to have connected with a punch and with fingers jabbed at Feghali's chest.

Players from both teams stepped in and the two eventually shook hands after the practice game was halted.

"The Philippines remains a dangerous team," said Raca in thickly-accented English. "I think they will play better with every game."

Pilipinas Basketball FTL

+

Arwind Santos FTW!

=

roll.gif

Maybe Nike would produce a Yellow Team Pilipinas jersey too, just to complete the Flag color since they have White, Blue and Red already, just a thought
happy.gif

[h2][/h2][h2]Fil-Am ace Lutz joins Smart Gilas[/h2]
By June Navarro
Philippine Daily Inquirer

EXCEPT FOR "HEAVY legs" due to jet lag, Chris Ryan Lutz seems fit as the newest addition to the Smart Gilas Pilipinas national team.

The 6-foot-4 Marshall University wingman arrived from the United States over the weekend and immediately joined Smart Gilas in practice yesterday tofamiliarize himself with the system of RP coach Rajko Toroman.

Lutz, born to Filipino mother Luzviminda and American father Wayne, was invited to join the team after impressing Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas officialsduring the training camp for overseas players with Filipino roots two months ago in Las Vegas.

SBP executive director Noli Eala said Lutz is a fine addition to Smart Gilas, which is also working on the naturalization papers of 6-11 NBA prospect CJGiles.

"We hope he (Lutz) will be the answer to our need for a pure shooter in the team," said Eala of the 24-year-old Fil-Am, who also played for PurdueUniversity, another US NCAA Division I school, during his freshman season before moving to Marshall.

Lutz hit a career-high 37 points, connecting on seven of 12 three-pointers, in the Thundering Herd's 89-86 overtime win over Tulane in the last NCAAseason.

He normed 10.7 points, 2.4 rebounds and 27.6 minutes as a Marshall junior and tossed in 23 points, including four of five triples, in a 72-59 rout of RioGrande and then nailed seven treys on the way to 24 points against University of Texas.

In the 2006-2007 season, the 190-pound guard hit 47.2 percent from three-point range as he led the Big 10 Conference with 58 conversions out of 123triples.

As a Purdue freshman, Lutz set a three-point field goal record of 53 percent and averaged 9.2 points, the second highest among freshmen in the Big 10.

Lutz and Giles are expected to provide Smart Gilas a better fighting chance to grab one of three Olympic slots available in the 2011 Fiba-Asia Championship,the qualifier for the 2012 London Olympics.

^ that's good news. would have been even better if japeth had not turned pro yet and played with smart-gilas.

^ Here we go, this is what we've been waiting for...Team Pilipinas vs. Sri Lanka @ 9am! Go Pilipinas! Time to show up!

crap,miko halili and doctor J doing the game.i would only enjoy a game being done by those two if they only communicated through sign language.

you think stadium officials are having a hard time turning away patrons for this game?dami tao grabe

laugh.gif

i got to give it to sri lanka

they still joined, unlike RP who doesn't even have a national cricket team

Correct me if I'm wrong folks, but I think Gabe Norwood is wearing the Hyperdunk PI colorway. Nice performance so far, but its time to pounce on the SriLankans! Huwag na nila bigyan ng window, baka makahabol pa!

Back
Top Bottom