The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

My son Malik came to play today, but we still lost. We still don't even have a win in conference play. I knew this year would be bad, but it just feels off to see IU this bad. Crean will have us contending by next year hopefully.

contending for what? that resurrection is going to take a few recruiting classes. Crean can do it tho, and i hope he does. i like when Indiana's good.

Originally Posted by tylerhundley

Great win for my Cards today. Also your right, where in the hell is Jerry at? I love it when people ask this question! Everyone is on the Louisville bandwagon now. EVERYONE. And our best shooter is havin the worst slump of his career. We know Jerry will come out of his slump and starting hitting the shots like we know he can, and thats what should be scary about Louisville. We are 6-0 in the BEast, without our best outside shooter!

When Jerry starts hitting his stride again, it will open up more shots for McGee, Sosa, TWill, which will open up the inside more for Clark and Samuels. Yall think UL is playing good now? We havent even reached our potential. This team should be scary in March
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Jerry Smith sucks and is not a difference maker. he's been playing less and less, and didn't even need to take his warm-up off today.

and i hear y'all 'Cuse fans about crowd advantages. it took years to finally get a student section in Rupp and it's behind the basket as well. ifyou ever notice the crowd at a UK game, all the people on the sidelines are old, and they just sit there on there hands. i've heard it referred to as theBig Blue Morgue. but, they got that $$$...season tickets to UK are similar to the Packers, yet there is no waiting list. you have to submit your info on acard, and they randomly select new aspiring season ticket holders only when people don't renew their seats, which never happens because people pass themdown in their family. you can't get seats anywhere in the lower level for less than $150, and that's for bad seats to a cupcake game. hell, seats inthe lower level for Midnight Madness go for at least $75. i managed to get tickets to the Florida game in a couple weeks and i'm 30 rows up in the secondlevel, i got them for face value tho.

you really gona follow up that statement with that?
laugh.gif

Two things need to be found:

- A time machine for Dominic James

- A post presence.

Until then, same old story. They've played nobodyyyyyyyyyy.

I want to apologize to Chase Budinger for what happened Saturday night. I never meant to step on him

WHAT? what a goddamn liar, that was the most intentional thing i've ever seen.. kid should be suspended for about 10 games if you ask me, it was acompletely classless thing to do and he's lucky he didn't actually hurt Chase there in what looked like a much uglier thing than it apparently was.

Then to say it wasn't intentional in your apology? get out of here... i'd kick that kid off my team if i were the coach, just completely classless.

Yeah, for real. No disrespect to J Dot, but their lack of presence inside is concerning. I still think Pitt is the frontrunner, but with the way L'villehas been playing, they've gotta be in the discussion. I'm still not totally sold on UConn.

Interesting...
January 25, 2009

At the College Basketball Roundtable each week, we ask each member of the coverage staff for his opinion about a current topic in the sport.

This week's question: Which team currently outside the top 25 has the best chance to make a long run in the NCAA tournament?

Greg Antony's answer:
I'm going with Kentucky. The Wildcats started slow last season, but really came on under Billy Gillispie in the second half of the season despite losing Patrick Patterson late. This season, they're younger, but I think they're better defensively. And with Jodie Meeks emerging as one of the best players in the nation, they are explosive offensively. Perry Stevenson anchors the defense, and getting Ramon Harris back in the rotation gives them some experience in the frontcourt. Two things have to happen for the Wildcats to really be dangerous. First, they have to cut down on their turnovers. They can extend their pressure defensively and force teams to try and play in the half court, where their quickness and athleticism can be more of a factor. Second, some of their younger players have to become more consistent because depth always is important in the tournament. This is a team that features two players capable of carrying them offensively. The 'Cats may be back!

Mike Huguenin's answer:
The Pac-10 is better than expected this season, and that also goes for league leader Washington - which is my answer to this week's question. The Huskies are experienced and have one of the nation's best big men in senior Jon Brockman, who averages a double-double. He is the main reason the Huskies own a rebound advantage of almost plus-11 per game. He is a load in the low post for anybody. A huge spark for the Huskies this season - and the reason they are leading the league - is freshman point man Isaiah Thomas. He is jet-quick, and though he is 5 feet 8 and not particularly proficient from 3-point range, Thomas still leads the team in scoring. That's because he uses his quickness to get into the lane and wreak havoc.
Senior Justin Dentmon has greatly improved his outside accuracy and gives the Huskies a legit 3-point threat. Junior small forward [ddb]Quincy Pondexter[/db] has improved his offense and finally is playing the defense that befits someone of his athletic talent. The Huskies also have a bunch of solid role players who are good fits in coach Lorenzo Romar's up-tempo system. Brockman's presence has given the Huskies a low-post presence for four seasons now, but Thomas' addition means the Huskies now can make some noise in March.
Jason King's answer:
Kentucky may not be one of the best teams in the country, but the Wildcats have two of the nation's best players - and maybe its best coach. Well on his way to SEC Coach of the Year honors for the second consecutive season, Billy Gillispie is someone opponents hope to stay away from in March. Along with being one of the best Xs and Os guys in college basketball, Gillispie's teams always are disciplined. They play hard and they play smart. The favorite to win the SEC title, Kentucky should enter this season's NCAA tournament high on momentum. The Wildcats may not be able match most of their opponents' depth, but not many schools have two future first-round NBA picks in their starting lineup. Guard Jodie Meeks, who has eclipsed the 30-point barrier six times, is a national player of the year candidate. Forward Patrick Patterson is one of the most skilled big men in the country, and wing Perry Stevenson is no slouch. Still, the biggest difference-maker for Kentucky wears a suit and tie and stands on the sideline. With Gillispie, the Wildcats always have a chance.

Steve Megargee's answer:
Conventional wisdom suggests you can't go far in the NCAA tournament without an elite point guard, but it's tough to ignore Kentucky's dynamic duo of power forward Patrick Patterson and shooting guard Jodie Meeks. Kentucky's 90-72 victory at Tennessee established the Wildcats as the class of the SEC this season, even though they haven't cracked the national rankings. Since dropping their first two games of the season, against VMI and North Carolina, the Wildcats have lost just twice all season (at home to Miami and at Louisville). Kentucky enters the week with 11 wins in its past 12 games. And the one loss was a down-to-the-wire game on the road against a Louisville team playing as well as anyone in the nation. While the players on this roster have never advanced beyond the second round of the tournament, Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie reached the Sweet 16 two years ago in his final season at Texas A&M. Don't be surprised if he's back in the regional semifinals this season.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

I want to apologize to Chase Budinger for what happened Saturday night. I never meant to step on him

WHAT? what a goddamn liar, that was the most intentional thing i've ever seen.. kid should be suspended for about 10 games if you ask me, it was a completely classless thing to do and he's lucky he didn't actually hurt Chase there in what looked like a much uglier thing than it apparently was.

Then to say it wasn't intentional in your apology? get out of here... i'd kick that kid off my team if i were the coach, just completely classless.

Seriously. And SMH at him dapping up his teammate when he got ejected. **** here. If I was a teammate, I woulda thrown some hands at theduke's head.

Sunday's wrap-up:

Nick Willams & Damian Johnson
capt.95103de9877342b4b98a851cbb94b50e.minnesota_indiana_basketball_bls102.jpg

Jonny Flynn & Samardo Samuels
capt.21046a9b7e304fb191f3850ea98715d3.louisville_syracuse_basketball_nykr101.jpg

Earl Clark
capt.fd5902f50f1b48259f3085e2ebcd090d.louisville_syracuse_basketball_nykr102.jpg

Terrence Jennings
capt.4faedae21b8c4394a0c0a59d99bd7988.louisville_syracuse_basketball_nykr103.jpg

Jennings & Arinze Onuaku
capt.7e719b9ddce54b2dbb463ca571ca9cb6.louisville_syracuse_basketball_nykr107.jpg

Dorf, Earl Clark, O
capt.3929d4a83ef94f8b9c8d678e8c607b91.louisville_syracuse_basketball_nykr105.jpg

Jonny Flynn
capt.adb70cf8571c413cb603f86efccc29d1.louisville_syracuse_basketball_nykr108.jpg

L'ville bench
capt.98c2cf3ba4114d55ade826cff7d8f895.louisville_syracuse_basketball_nykr104.jpg

Jerry Smith, Rick Jackson, Terrence Williams
capt.3557c3bcddd14b85902e5c6ffd72d7cc.louisville_syracuse_basketball_nykr111.jpg

Sosa & Rautins
capt.98d024aeb2be42eab8be50d428478f03.louisville_syracuse_basketball_nykr112.jpg

Ralph Sampson III over Kyle Taber & Malik Story
capt.a5fbb8a665234938a3bd647eaca6d88d.minnesota_indiana_basketball_bls105.jpg

Lawrence Westbrook and Devan Dumes
capt.61ba1b9673ae402b8b1a976985a003f9.minnesota_indiana_basketball_bls107.jpg

George Drake & Erving Walker
capt.0b5a2389e3d74570b6d32c25cb5619a6.florida_vanderbilt_basketball_tnmh107.jpg

Robert Mitchell
capt.6779afa3293a409f80ff7b8d26a94e66.georgetown_seton_hall_basketball_njbk101.jpg

Mitchell raked by Greg Monroe
capt.575cbf61a70044f5acdce4c15a3221e5.georgetown_seton_hall_basketball_njbk102.jpg

Monroe
capt.52274a61a07f4da98352767d63989fee.georgetown_seton_hall_basketball_njbk108.jpg

Evan Turner & Durrell Summers
capt.7447c4285d1e476c9f83b6565eb63028.michigan_st_ohio_st_basketball_ohjl101.jpg

Summers and William Buford
capt.f5242e84d2834d7eb3fa1f975fca4951.michigan_st_ohio_st_basketball_ohjl104.jpg

Pirates
capt.0e03e55a83824bdaa812dea3b39f700f.georgetown_seton_hall_basketball_njbk104.jpg

Hoyas
capt.77e05480c4684700bd20d0fb44fb21a0.georgetown_seton_hall_basketball_njbk105.jpg

Jason Clark
capt.02040a0f25e24fd88d626d507ea6cdf5.georgetown_seton_hall_basketball_njbk106.jpg

Mitchell
capt.495b7295439641858015f6c29dd1a47d.georgetown_seton_hall_basketball_njbk107.jpg

Jeremy Hazell
capt.f67bc5c245324cd3831dbd3caa76c030.georgetown_seton_hall_basketball_njbk110.jpg

Monroe & Hazell
capt.17ac7595b8c940f58f13d75c12d196d8.georgetown_seton_hall_basketball_njbk111.jpg

Coach JTIII
capt.443e5cc2c0d648e6b54d581f9039938a.georgetown_seton_hall_basketball_njbk109.jpg

John Flowers, DeJuan Blair, & Kevin Jones
capt.06dacd488ac148508c4851fbc4ce6baa.pittsburgh_wvirginia_basketball_wvdw101.jpg

Blair and Wellington Smith
capt.666c2d3ea66347b0ab4ca7cbf78411f1.pittsburgh_wvirginia_basketball_wvdw103.jpg

Sam Young and Devin Ebanks
capt.5909620a52864f50bec02fc06d7d668e.pittsburgh_wvirginia_basketball_wvdw108.jpg

Lewis Clinch & Terrence Oglesby
capt.c442e9026568460794ef596bd03e9594.georgia_tech_clemson_basketball_scmc102.jpg

Trevor Booker & Zachery Peacock
capt.30cc5204dec64f0fb9435d3956382805.georgia_tech_clemson_basketball_scmc105.jpg

Oglesby and Maurice Miller
capt.6d6e2e62d6f0406e95da45148d772137.georgia_tech_clemson_basketball_scmc111.jpg

Which team would you take if you had to pick one for the tournament?

Team A
Record: 12-6
Conference Record: 3-4
RPI: 77
Strength of Schedule: 82
vs. RPI Top 100: 2-5

Team B
Record: 13-7
Conference Record: 3-4
RPI: 60
Strength of Schedule: 32
vs. RPI Top 100: 3-7

Team A is Notre Dame, Team B is Cincinnati

[h3]Player of the Week: Blake Griffin, So., F, Oklahoma[/h3]
Blake Griffin is starting to create distance in the player of the year race. Hesprained his left ankle during the Sooners' 95-76 win over Baylor on Saturday, but it didn't seem to bother him much. Griffin finished with 20 points,17 boards and four assists, and he shot 8-of-10 from the free-throw line. On Wednesday, Griffin poured in 27 points and 18 rebounds in an efficient 11-of-16performance from the floor as Oklahoma beat Nebraska 72-61.

Griffin has had 16 double-doubles this season and is becoming a virtual lock to score and rebound in double figures. In fact, Griffin has piled up ninegames with at least 20 points and 15 rebounds so far this season. How good is that? He already has tied Paul Millsap (who scored 20 points and 15 rebounds ninetimes for Louisiana Tech during the 2005-06 season) for the most such performances in the past dozen years of college basketball. Not many coaches can count onsuch a lofty performance every game.

The rest of the starting rotation this week:

Roeland Schaftenaar, Jr., F, Oregon State: Schaftenaar is perfect for head coachCraig Robinson's Princeton-style system. He's 6-foot-11 and has no problem playing a point-forward position at the top of the circle to get the offensegoing. He averaged 4.6 points a game last season and is averaging 7.9 this season. But he shone this past weekend in the Bay Area. Schaftenaar scored 22 pointsin the Beavers' win at Cal, making all four 3s he attempted. He scored 18 in the win at Stanford, converting eight of 11 shots. If he can continue thisperformance, the Beavers might not be out of tournament contention yet.

ncb_a_butler01_300.jpg

AP Photo/Nick Wass

Da'Sean Butler scored 27 points on 11-of-18 shooting in West Virginia's blowout of Georgetown.
Da'Sean Butler, Jr., F, West Virginia: Butler was sensational in theMountaineers' 75-58 win at Georgetown on Wednesday. Butler scored 27 points, made 11 of 18 shots (four of nine 3s) and grabbed eight boards in theshockingly easy win for West Virginia. Beating Georgetown wasn't the surprise, but the margin of victory was a stunner. WVU owns two of the more shockingmargins of victory for a road team this season after beating Ohio State by 28 points and Georgetown by 17.
Stephen Curry, Jr., G, Davidson: Southern Conference teams can't touch Curry.He scored 33 points in a win over Wofford and 30 in a win over Furman this past week. He made 13 treys in the two games, but just as impressive was hisassist-to-turnover ratio. He had 12 assists and only two turnovers in the two games. Curry also made five steals in the win over Furman.

Wayne Ellington, Jr., G, North Carolina: The reason the Tar Heels are suddenlylooking like a title favorite again is Ellington. A week ago, he scored 23 points and made seven 3s in a rout over Miami. Then, in the Tar Heels' lone gamethis week, Ellington scored 25 points in a 24-point rout of Clemson. He was an efficient 9-of-15 from the field (5-of-6 on free throws) with seven assists.
[h3]Team of the Week: Oregon State Beavers[/h3]Last week: Won at Cal 69-65; won at Stanford 77-62.
Craig Robinson scheduled a home game against Cal State Bakersfield for Monday night because he'd assumed the Beavers would need some confidence goinginto Saturday's Civil War matchup against Oregon in Corvallis.

Robinson had had no idea the Beavers would be one of the hottest teams in the Pac-10 after an improbable road sweep of Cal and Stanford. He'd had noclue the Beavers would have three Pac-10 victories, including a home win over USC. That's one more conference win than Arizona, three more than winlessrival Oregon, and as many as Stanford and Washington State.

Why would he? Oregon State went 0-18 in the Pac-10 last season, the first team to go winless in that league since it expanded to 10 teams in the 1970s. TheBeavers lost three scholarship players from last season's team -- Marcel Jones, C.J. Giles and Sean Carter -- and replaced them with one redshirt and threewalk-ons, including the rugged Daniel Deane, who came up with big buckets against theCardinal on Saturday night.

ncb_a_robinson_200.jpg

AP Photo/Paul Sakuma

As if seeing his brother-in-law Barack Obama sworn in as president wasn't enough, Craig Robinson finished the week with a Bay Area sweep.
Eleven players returned from a 6-24 team that ended last season on a 20-game losing streak and endured a midseason coaching change from Jay John to KevinMouton and a feeling of hopelessness around the program.
So let's face it: Sweeping the Bay Area teams was flat-out improbable for the Beavers. It's the first time the school has done it since the 1992-93season, which also was the last time Oregon State had won at Stanford. OSU was 5-13 in the Pac-10 during the 2005-06 season, which was the last time theBeavers won two road games in the same season and the last time they won at Cal. Oh, and the Beavers were 3-15 in 2006-07, which means the Beavers have won asmany league games by Jan. 24 as they had in the past two seasons combined.

Oregon State's Calvin Haynes said in Sunday's Oregonian that Robinsoncould have jettisoned players from last season's team, but he didn't take that route. He stuck with them, and it's paying off. Things such as thePrinceton principles and the 1-3-1 zone defense are working well for the Beavers and flustering teams such as Cal and Stanford. We'll see whether theirsuccess continues, but the Beavers should have a better home-court advantage at Gill Coliseum, one of the better old barns in college basketball, with upcominggames against Oregon, Arizona and Arizona State. Could the Beavers (8-10) win these games, reach a 6-5 record in the Pac-10 and be better than .500 overall?Remember, this is the same team that was trying to learn how to win early in the season after losing at Howard and to Yale and Montana State at home.

This also is the same team that had to deal with some distractions this week when its head coach was off in Washington, D.C., for two days watching hisbrother-in-law become the 44th president. Quite frankly, this has been one phenomenal week for Robinson's family, the Beavers and the ultimate direction ofthe program.
[h3]Rolling[/h3]Washington: The Huskies swept the L.A. schools and moved to 6-1, alone atop the Pac-10. If they had closedout Cal instead of falling flat in triple overtime, the Huskies would be undefeated in league play. Washington should be ranked and truthfully deserves to bethe highest-ranked Pac-10 team this week.
Duke: The Blue Devils are making a overwhelming case for a No. 1 seed with the way they are pounding opponents. Duke's defense has beensensational, its offense balanced and its focus tremendously precise. Next up is Wake Forest, and even if the Blue Devils lose, that shouldn't derail theirquest for a top seed.

Connecticut: The Huskies reasserted themselves as a team to beat for the Big East title with the road win at Notre Dame. Connecticut stillhas to play Louisville, Pitt and Marquette, and it hasn't yet played one of the supposed contenders for the title in the league. The road win two weeks agoat West Virginia is looking more impressive, too.

Kentucky: OK, who had the Wildcats as the best team in the SEC after the November loss to VMI? That seems so last year. Kentucky continuesto roll in the SEC with the best inside-outside combination of Jodie Meeks andPatrick Patterson.

Butler: Just try to put 60 points on the Bulldogs. Try. Good luck. Butler's defense will determine whether the Bulldogs become a Sweet16 team.

Marquette: The Golden Eagles continue to roll through their schedule. It will get tougher, though, beginning Monday night at NotreDame.

Illinois: Say hello to the newest Big Ten contender. Bruce Weber is putting together another Big Ten Coach of the Year résumé. He has foundhidden gems such as Mike Davis and has Assembly Hall rocking once again.

Xavier: The Musketeers did the Atlantic 10 proud by outdistancing LSU on Saturday night in Baton Rouge. Xavier's shoulders might growtired carrying the conference, but the Musketeers may be the A-10's only NCAA tournament representative if no one can beat them in the conferencetournament.
[h3]Signature wins[/h3]West Virginia: The Mountaineers slammed Ohio State on the road for a signature nonconference win.But this team needed a win it could stand up and shout about in the Big East. The Mountaineers got one at Georgetown.
Memphis: The Tigers were almost forgotten for a few weeks until it was time to play a high-profile nonconference game on nationaltelevision again. Memphis earned the win by a deuce over rival Tennessee. That will speak volumes for this team's confidence, and ultimately its seeding,come Selection Sunday.

Virginia Tech: Early on, the Hokies were as hard-luck on last possessions as any team in the country. They lost to Xavier on abuzzer-beater in Puerto Rico, to Wisconsin on a last possession at home and the same at Georgia. That's why Tech had to pull off a shocking win, such asthe one at Wake Forest, if it was to get back into the NCAA-bid conversation.

Northwestern: The Wildcats beat a ranked Minnesota team at home. But nothing compares to knocking off Michigan State in East Lansing. Thatupset might not be enough to get the Wildcats into the NCAA tournament on their own, but it sent a message to the Wildcats' faithful that coach BillCarmody's methods work, given the right players and sufficient time.
[h3]Signature performance in a losing cause[/h3]CraigBrackins, Iowa State: Against Kansas on Saturday, Brackins was nearly unstoppable. He scored 42 points and made 11 of 19 shots, three of five3-pointers and 17 of 21 free throws. He also grabbed 14 boards in the Cyclones' 82-67 loss. Brackins is quietly having a great season in Ames. Thesophomore is averaging 19.3 points per game and 9.1 rebounds per game.[h3]Muddled mess[/h3]
ncb_a_jacobson_200.jpg

AP Photo/Paul Beaty

Coach Ben Jacobson has surprising Northern Iowa in first place by two games in the Missouri Valley Conference.
Missouri Valley: Northern Iowa is the class of the MVC at 7-1, holding a two-game lead over Illinois State and Bradley and a three-gamelead over Creighton, Drake and Evansville. Once again, this will be a competitive race down to the final regular-season weekend. That's great for balanceand interest, but it's hard to tell whether the competition will hurt the Valley's multiple-bid chances.
Mountain West: The competition is great in the MWC. If UNLV, TCU, Brigham Young, San Diego State, Utah or New Mexico wins the league, noone will be shocked. All those teams have two conference losses. But the reality is, having this balanced a league won't bode well for the prospect oflanding multiple bids in the tournament. The teams need to separate themselves soon.

SEC: Mississippi State and LSU are looking like the two best teams in the West. But neither has a quality nonconference résumé. Kentucky isthe only undefeated team in the East. But once again, the Wildcats didn't stand out in nonconference play, save for a win over West Virginia in Las Vegas.How the selection committee breaks down the best teams in the SEC that don't have a great overall body of work will be one of the tougher tests for the10-member crew.

Craig Brackins, Iowa State: Against Kansas on Saturday, Brackins was nearly unstoppable. He scored 42 points and made 11 of 19 shots, three of five 3-pointers and 17 of 21 free throws. He also grabbed 14 boards in the Cyclones' 82-67 loss. Brackins is quietly having a great season in Ames. The sophomore is averaging 19.3 points per game and 9.1 rebounds per game.

Dude is putting in serious work.

Not a bad week for Oregon State coach Craig Robinson.

First he had one of the best seats in the house to watch his brother-in-law, Barack Obama, be sworn in as the President.

Top 25 roundup

Sunday's action

* No. 4 Pitt gets best of West Virginia
* No. 7 Spartans take care of Ohio St.
* No. 9 Louisville upends No. 8 Orange
* No. 10 Clemson beats Georgia Tech
* Seton Hall upsets No. 12 Georgetown
* No. 21 Gophers edge Indiana on road
* No. 24 Florida crushes Vanderbilt

Then he watched the same Beavers team that set a record for Pac-10 futility a year ago go out and sweep Cal and Stanford in the Bay Area.

"It was right up there when you get married and have kids," Robinson said of the week.

This was the same Oregon State club that went 0-18 last season under former coach Jay John.

THE GOODS (Player or Team of the Week): Virginia Tech - The Hokies were basically written off early in the season after a flurry of tough, last-second losses to Xavier, Wisconsin and Georgia. However, Seth Greenberg's team has battled back, knocking off then-No. 1 Wake Forest in Winston-Salem and then traveling to Miami and notching another huge road win against the �Canes. Virginia Tech is 14-5 overall and 4-1 in ACC play - second in the league.

REAL DEAL: Saint Mary's - The Gaels blasted San Diego on the road and stayed unbeaten in WCC play. While everyone focuses on Patty Mills - and rightfully so - Randy Bennett's team is far from a one-man show. Diamon Simpson struggled against the Toreros, but it was fellow frontcourt star Omar Samhan (16 points and 11 rebounds) who stepped up.

THE IMPOSTER: Minnesota - The Golden Gophers were considered a Top 25 team not too long ago. Well, Tubby Smith's team came up short at home against Purdue and then barely got past the Big Ten's doormat, Indiana. Minnesota still has some work to do before it puts itself in position to get into the Big Dance.

MID-MAJOR TEAM OF THE WEEK: N.J.I.T - New Jersey Institute of Technology's win against Bryant snapped a 51-game losing streak and was the program's first victory since Feb. 19, 2007. First-year coach Jim Engles was 0-18 in his tenure before the win.

STREAK IS HISTORY: UConn ended Notre Dame's 45-game home winning streak out in South Bend. The Huskies did it with balance, led by Jeff Adrien with 12 points and 19 rebounds, in also snapping a 20-game home Big East streak for the Fighting Irish.

BETTER THAN ADVERTISED: Oregon State - The Beavers were considered a complete walk-over a year ago in the Pac-10, but first-year coach Craig Robinson already has three conference victories after a road sweep in the Bay Area against Cal and Stanford.

SIGNATURE WIN: West Virginia's victory on the road against Georgetown. The Mountaineers have been considered the ninth team in the Big East, but Bob Huggins' team doesn't have any "bad" losses and has road wins against the Hoyas and a rout at Ohio State. This one could be critical come March.

STINKER: A few weeks ago, Maryland lost to Morgan State out of the MEAC. This time it wasn't just a loss; it was the worst setback in the Gary Williams era in an 85-44 loss at Duke. The Terps were down 25 at halftime.

STATEMENT: Earl Clark had his head between his legs a week ago after he made a couple of errant passes that nearly cost Louisville the game against Kentucky. Clark responded with 22 points and nine boards against South Florida and 16 points and 11 rebounds in a road win against Villanova.

SHOCKER: Northwestern's victory at the Breslin Center against Michigan State. The Spartans had just started to make people forget about the blowout loss at Ford Field to North Carolina, but they couldn't find a way to handle Northwestern's 1-3-1 defense.

TOUGHEST LOSS: Iowa State's long and talented big man Craig Brackins had 42 points and 14 boards, yet it wasn't nearly enough as his Cyclones were drilled by Kansas. Brackins is quietly averaging 19.3 points and 9.1 boards this season.

SORELY MISSED: Alabama's Ron Steele called it a career this past week following yet another injury - this time a heel injury. Steele was once considered one of the elite point guards in the country before knee injuries forced him to sit out all of last season.

HE'S BACK: I feel badly for UTEP coach Tony Barbee. He's the latest to give Derrick Caracter, the former over-hyped prep star, another chance. Caracter, who didn't live up to expectations at Louisville, is paying his own way this season in hopes of qualifying academically to play next season for the Miners.

Freshman guard Tyreke Evans scored 17 points in Memphis' win Saturday at Tennessee. ( / Associated Press)

CREDIT: Memphis freshman Tyreke Evans looked much better than he did early in the season, leading the Tigers in a road win against Tennessee. Evans will never be a pure point, but he only committed two turnovers and led Memphis with 17 points in the victory.

WEEK TO FORGET: Arkansas only lost one game this week, but it came in Fayetteville against Auburn, and it wasn't even close. The Razorbacks fell to 0-4 in the SEC after the 73-51 setback. This hardly looks like the same team that knocked off the Big 12's elite - Oklahoma and Texas - just a few weeks back.

SIX-PACK ON TAP

1. Duke at Wake Forest, Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET - The Blue Devils get their first chance in more than two years as the No. 1 team in the land against a team that was on top of the polls last week.

2. Washington at Arizona State, Saturday at 5:30 p.m. ET - The Huskies, who swept USC and UCLA this past weekend, will get a shot at James Harden and the Sun Devils out in Tempe.

3. Marquette at Notre Dame, Monday at 7 p.m. ET - The Golden Eagles are still unbeaten in the Big East, but Buzz Williams & Co. will get their stiffest test yet out in South Bend.

4. Saint Mary's at Gonzaga, Thursday at 11 p.m. ET - The �Zags have fallen off the national radar a bit, but this is an opportunity to regain some respect against the other undefeated team in the WCC.

5. Texas at Baylor, Tuesday at 9 p.m. ET - There will be high-level athletes all over the court. The key will be whether the Bears, coming off a lopsided loss at Oklahoma, can defend UT.

6. Northeastern at VCU, Tuesday at 9 p.m. ET - The two teams are in a three-way deadlock for first place in the CAA. They also have two of the nation's mos

The new poll sucks. Its full of flaws but my biggest question is how does 'Cuse drop from 8 to 15 after losses to legit teams in Pitt and Louisville butwhen UNC lost to BC who lost to Harvard and Wake Forest they remain in the top ten?

what is the school like? what are you studying? need to figure out what i'm going to do with myself after I finish this cc stint.
What is the school like?
Huge transition from the city. The weather is terrible but if you can put up with it you'll be good. The school is what you make of it. Greek life is hugeat SU. Its weird in a sense because Greek life isn't that large in the northeast. At SU, 20% of the student population is Greek. Their are tons of clubsthat you can join but if you don't you can still maintain a healthy social life. The parties are good. I prefer house parties over the frat parties becauseyou won't have 50 "brothers" trying to hit on one girl. The girls are
pimp.gif
for the most part. Since you are from LI you see a lot of **** which make up a large portion of the female pop. unfortunately. If you don't goto at least one game during your stay at the school then you missed a big part of what the school is about. Lacrosse, basketball and football reign supremehere.

The school is great academically. It is in the top 50 according to U.S. News rankings. We have the #1 programs in Public Affairs (Maxwell School ofCitizenship) and communications (S.I. Newhouse School of Communications). We have a rising Sport Management program with endless opportunities because of thealumni base. I don't know much about the business school other than it is alright as an undergrad option.

What am I studying?
History major. Plan to go to law school after undergrad. Ironically to Georgetown.

PM me if you have specific questions.

for those of you who actually attend cuse -

what is the school like? what are you studying? need to figure out what i'm going to do with myself after I finish this cc stint.

Embattled coach Gottfried resigns
Comment Email Print
By Pat Forde
ESPN.com
Archive

Embattled Alabama basketball coach Mark Gottfried resigned Monday afternoon.

Gottfried met with athletic director Mal Moore at 2:30 ET to discuss his job status, according to a Birmingham News report. Gottfried has been under fire for Alabama's declining basketball fortunes over recent years, and the Crimson Tide have struggled to a 12-7 record this year, 2-3 in the SEC.

"My number one priority is to do what is best for the University of Alabama, this basketball program, and these young men," Gottfried said, according to a school release. "Mal and I sat down today and we talked. At that point, I notified him of my intention to resign as head coach of the men's basketball program.

"I am extremely grateful to have had the opportunity and the privilege to lead our men's basketball program at Alabama for the past 10 and a half seasons. It has been a wonderful decade for me and my family, and I love the University of Alabama, but I feel that it is in the best interests of everyone involved. I want to thank our players, their families, our coaching staff and their families, and our great fans for all of their support over these last 11 seasons.".

The Tuscaloosa News reported earlier Monday that Gottfried was fired.

The program was rocked last week by senior point guard Ronald Steele's departure from the team -- ostensibly because of a plantar fasciitis injury to his foot, but Steele said in a statement that the injury was not the reason for his departure. That led to speculation that Steele was unhappy with Gottfried.

Gottfried was in his 11th year as head coach at his alma mater. His record wa 210-131, but just 83-82 in Southeastern Conference play. Gottfried took the Crimson Tide to five straight NCAA tournaments from 2002-06, reaching the elite eight in 2004. But Bama missed the last two NCAA tournaments and would likely have to win the SEC tournament to make it this season.

"I accepted Coach Gottfried's resignation," Moore said, according to a school release. "I respect Mark's decision and will begin immediately working on a permanent replacement. I agreed with him that it is in the best interests of the men's basketball program for us to move in a different direction. I want to extend my sincerest best wishes to Mark and his family, along with my personal thanks to Mark for his many years of dedicated service to our men's basketball program."

About time. Hopefully this means Tony Mitchell is back on the market, and I could see him possibly landing with UC depending on our scholarship situation.

Back
Top Bottom