The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by allen3xis

thanks messiah, you know anythin bout Rakeem Christmas?

Who remembers this?

Wild guess on who the ref was?John Cahill.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. The Committee NEEDS to put Duke/G-Town in the same bracket.

As for Rakeem Christmas, this is what I know so far. Memphis is a early favorite. He also has interest from Nova, Florida, Kansas, G-Town and probably everyother major in the Big East as well as most from the ACC.

Believe it or not, He also has a blog as well:
http://phillyhoops.wordpress.com/tag/rakeem-christmas/Rakeem Christmas

*Raises Hand*

I remember watching that game, being mad as hell when he hit that wide open 3... Good ol Johnny boy
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by BabyfacedAssassin31

The Kansas home bias from the refs was dreadfull they were gettin crazy calls I hate to see that ina game let the players decide the outcome yea A&M were outmatched but the refs made it alot harder for them.
Glad I'm not the only one that thought so...I figured maybe it was just my biased eye. The refs let that game get out of reach for A&Mearly...

[h3]Other Hoop Thoughts[/h3] [table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
• I was not ready to put Ohio State back onto my AP ballot this week (see below), but I have to say, that was a pretty impressive win at Michigan. The Buckeyes are so, so young, but their main problem is not youth but lack of solid point guard play. Make no mistake, though, their two stud freshmen, William Buford and B.J. Mullens, are growing up fast, and that could make the Buckeyes dangerous come late February.

• I was truly bummed to hear that Alabama senior point guard Ronald Steele has been sidelined with yet another injury, this time in his foot. Steele was one of the top point guards in the country his first two seasons before being inhibited by a knee injury for two long years. Hopefully he won't be out long, because the Tide, which is already going to have to scratch and claw to get into the NCAA tournament, lost two games last week without him.

Derrick Favors committing to Georgia Tech means two things. One, Paul Hewitt will not be fired. Two, Paul Hewitt will not leave to coach St. John's should the opportunity present itself. Favors is that good.

• One of the most amazing streaks in sports is on the line Wednesday night when Clemson plays North Carolina in Chapel Hill, where the Tigers have lost -- count 'em -- 53 consecutive times.

• Minnesota's a good example of a team that might be young but doesn't suffer because it's young in the right places. The Gophers play two freshmen up front in Colt Iverson and Ralph Sampson III, but they have a bevy of older guys they can rotate through the backcourt. If you're going to be young, be young inside. Tennessee, on the other hand, has the opposite problem; the Volunteers' experience lies inside with Wayne Chism and Tyler Smith. They are ultra green on the perimeter, and you can tell.

• I just have a gut feeling that Mark Few will be the next coach at Arizona.

• If you're looking for Notre Dame's red flag, here it is: In the team's six Big East games, its three-man nucleus of Luke Harangody, Kyle McAlarney and Tory Jackson have spent a combined 40 minutes on the bench.

• In case you haven't noticed, freshman Kemba Walker is UConn's best guard.

• Xavier is good, but it is also very vulnerable against perimeter pressure. I can see them getting a high seed in the tournament but losing early to one of those mid-major teams that is smaller but quicker and presses them end to end.

• Speaking of which, you think Texas still needs to work out its point guard problems? The Longhorns committed 11 turnovers in the first half alone during their loss at Oklahoma.

• If you've been watching the Big Ten Network, no doubt you've been enjoying the word of veteran play-by-play man Tom Hamilton. He calls a game with great excitement that somehow doesn't seem over the top.

• With Pittsburgh's depth and physical style of play, it's going to take an awfully good team to hang with them in the last 10 minutes of a game. Their sloppy late collapse against Louisville aside, Pitt was in close games against Georgetown and Syracuse, and in both cases they pulled away late.

• Let me tell you, I love watching Louisville senior swingman Terrence Williams play. Not only is he a great and versatile talent (he leads the Cards in both assists and rebounds), but he also plays with great joy on the court. After Louisville beat Notre Dame in overtime, ESPN's Jay Bilas asked T-Will why he smiles so much. He replied "Not everybody gets to do this." How refreshing!

• When the coaching carousel gets going in a couple of months, you can expect the hottest name out there to be Jeff Capel.

• Just wanted to remind you again to check out my new favorite player, James Eayrs, aka "Big Lumber," a 6-7, 340-pound junior forward for Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He had a season-high 23 points (3 for 5 from three!) in the Panthers' four-point win over Cleveland State on Saturday. Coach Rob Jeter even used Eayrs to bring up the ball against the Vikings' furious fullcourt press. If UWM makes noise in the NCAA tournament, Big Lumber is going to be the biggest cult hit since Kevin Pittsnogle.

• Cal is a perfect example of a team that lives and dies by the three. The Bears lead the nation in three-point percentage, but their starting center, 7-foot junior Jordan Wilkes, weighs 225 pounds and grabs just 3.7 rebounds a game. In their loss at Stanford, the Bears shot 51.7 percent and out-rebounded the Cardinal by five, yet they shot 5 for 15 from three and lost by six points.

• That clicking sound you heard about two weeks ago was the light going on in Gerald Henderson's head.

• All hail Jodie Meeks for his 54-point explosion at Tennessee, but my goodness, how about a little defense, fellas? Meeks is the sixth player this year to get his career high in scoring against Tennessee. Anybody else noticing a pattern?

• Regarding the NCAA's decision to eliminate the April evaluating period, I know coaches say it will not have an effect on the tournaments scheduled during that time, but I say let's wait and see. If a player wants to travel the country to play in a tournament when no college coaches will be there, I suppose that's his problem. But at the very least we've eliminated the ability for an AAU coach to argue that the player has to be there if he wants to get a scholarship.

• Somebody much smarter than me is going to have to explain why a drop of one percent in three-point shooting means the new line is having a significant effect. The way I see it, if you take a team that shoots 20 threes a game -- which is a lot -- that would mean that out of every five games, one shot is now staying out that would have gone in last year. I'd be surprised if there was one coach in the country who would say he is doing things any differently than he did last season because the three-point line is one foot longer.

• So much for the point of emphasis to keep the coaches in the coaching box. If the coaches are going to ignore the rule and the refs aren't going to enforce it, why bother even having it?

• Everybody knows James Harden is going left. The players know it, the broadcasters, the fans know it, the janitors know it, and you can bet opposing coaches know it. I'm pretty sure it's in every scouting report: "Harden likes to go left." And yet, whenever he wants to go to the rim, what does Harden do? He goes left. He's just that good.

• Let's just all agree not to panic next November when Kentucky loses to a really bad team at home. The Cats are the best team in the SEC, period.

• I hate to say it, but we could have the fewest at-large bids given to mid-major teams than we've had in a long, long time. I'm sure there will be a few, but aside from the West Coast Conference, where Gonzaga and St. Mary's are virtual shoo-ins, it's hard to predict with certainty that any mid-major conference will get multiple bids. We knew the Missouri Valley was going to be down this year, but the Mountain West has been a disappointment as well.

• I felt awful for Arizona forward Jamelle Horne, but he made yet another bonehead play on Saturday when he fouled USC's Daniel Hackett near halfcourt with the game tied in the closing seconds of the Wildcats' loss at USC. Hackett made one of two free throws (missing the second on purpose) to enable the Trojans to win by one. Horne, you'll recall, is the guy who intentionally fouled UAB guard Paul Delaney at the buzzer because he thought Arizona was behind when the game was actually tied.
[h3]This Week's AP Ballot (Official rankings in parentheses)[/h3]
1. Wake Forest (1)
2. Duke (2)
3. Pittsburgh (4)
4. North Carolina (5)
5. Connecticut (3)
6. Michigan State (7)
7. Oklahoma (6)
8. Georgetown (12)
9. Clemson (10)
10. Louisville (9)
11. Syracuse (
glasses.gif

12. Notre Dame (19)
13. Texas (14)
14. Marquette (11)
15. UCLA (13)
16. Purdue (18)
17. Xavier (15)
18. Miami (NR)
19. Butler (16)
20. St. Mary's (NR)
21. Arizona State (17)
22. Gonzaga (23)
23. Illinois (25)
24. Kentucky (NR)
25. Minnesota (21)

Teams in the poll not on my ballot: No. 22 Memphis, No. 24 Florida

Skinny: The main switch I made this week was putting Wake Forest ahead of Duke. Last week I had Duke No. 2 and Wake Forest No. 3, but I was frankly pretty cavalier about it because there is not much difference between 2 and 3. There is, however, a huge difference between 2 and 1, and since Wake Forest is undefeated and Duke has one loss (at Michigan), I went with the Deacs. You'll notice that last week the coaches also had Duke second and Wake third, yet this week they too voted Wake number one.

It appears I hold both Georgetown and Notre Dame in higher esteem than my fellow voters. I don't think the Hoyas should be punished for losing to Pittsburgh at home and then at Notre Dame. I'm more inclined to reward them for their impressive win at Connecticut.

I'm a little surprised that Miami is not ranked. The Hurricanes have four losses this season, but all of them are of high quality: to Connecticut on a neutral court, at home to Ohio State when Jack McClinton got tossed, at home to Clemson and then on Saturday night at North Carolina. Meanwhile, their win over Kentucky looks pretty good these days, and even that road win at St. John's was no gimme. (Ask Notre Dame.) I'm not in high dudgeon or anything, but it will be interesting to see over the next few weeks whether my faith in this team is validated.

Elsewhere, I finally gave in and stuck Butler on my ballot, partly because I think the Horizon League is better than people realize. I continue to feel like a one-man band tooting for St. Mary's, but y'all will catch up eventually. And I held my nose as I plugged in Minnesota at No. 25. Their win at Wisconsin was more impressive than their loss at Northwestern was disappointing (if that makes any sense). I was tempted to go with 17-1 Utah State at No. 25 until I looked closer and discovered that they have only one win over a team ranked in the top 50 of the RPI, and that was a two-point squeaker at home over Utah.

T-Will just might be my favorite player in college basketball after that quote.

Originally Posted by MessiahChild

• Everybody knows James Harden is going left. The players know it, the broadcasters, the fans know it, the janitors know it, and you can bet opposing coaches know it. I'm pretty sure it's in every scouting report: "Harden likes to go left." And yet, whenever he wants to go to the rim, what does Harden do? He goes left. He's just that good.
T-Will just might be my favorite player in college basketball after that quote.

Word to B.I.G I've NEVER seen him go right and finish with his right.
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

BJ Mullens needs another year in school....

laugh.gif
dude just hushed the Illinois crowd tho
Yeah, he definitely does. With that said, I think he's gone. Wouldn't be surprised to lose Turner or Buford either with the way Ohio Stateloses underclassmen to the draft.

It's only one letter. Add an "a" to Bracketologist and, just that quickly, you get "Baracketologist."

So, in honor of the nation's soon-to-be 44th president, here are that many thoughts at the season's halfway point:

ncb_g_wake_nc_in_200.jpg

Bob Donnan/US PresswireCould UNC or Wake Forest be out of luck for a home-court regional?
1. Two ACC teams are likely to enjoy the comforts of near-home (Greensboro) in the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament. However, there is noconvenient regional site this year for whomever advances.
2. Unbalanced conference schedules may play a greater role than usual in determining regular-season champions. Duke plays North Carolina and Wake Foresttwice, for instance, while Wake and Carolina have already faced each other for the only time. In the Big East, Pitt and UConn play twice each while Louisvilleand Georgetown have no repeat games among this group.

3. North Carolina is still the best team in the country, but saying it doesn't make it so in terms of seeding. If the Tar Heels finish third in the ACC,they will not be a top seed in March.

4. It's possible that Kansas (not Texas) could be the Big 12 team with the best chance to finish ahead of Oklahoma. The Jayhawks have the easier Big 12North schedule and, if they can win in Norman on Feb. 23, who knows?

5. No one in the country is playing better right now than Michigan State. I'm starting to feel better about the Spartans as one of my preseason FinalFour picks.

6. Among the contenders, Louisville has the most favorable Big East schedule remaining. My preseason choice of the Cardinals as a No. 1 seed is lookingbetter.

7. Clemson isn't a "paper" Tiger, but is nowhere near the level of Duke, Wake and Carolina in the ACC.

8. John Thompson III clearly does not share his father's scheduling philosophy. Who's next for Georgetown? The Celtics?

9. Quick: Who has the best record in the Big East? Bonus points if you knew without looking that it's Marquette.

http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3844591&story=3844383','Popup','width=640,height=550,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">[+] Enlarge
ncb_g_syracusend_300.jpg

Marc Squire/Getty ImagesSyracuse has only begun a brutal stretch of Big East tilts.
10. The Big East death march continues for Syracuse. The "easiest" game in the next eight is at 11-6 Providence.
11. Good thing the Atlantic 10 has Xavier. Both Dayton and Temple have potentially shot themselves in the foot by losing at 7-9 UMass.

12. The next real threat for Memphis in Conference USA is Feb. 26 at UAB. By then the Tigers' C-USA winning streak should be at 54 games.

13. Three teams are tied atop the Pac-10 with 4-1 records. Go to the head of the class if you thought two of them would be Cal and Washington.

14. Is Minnesota coming back to earth after Sunday's loss at Northwestern? Or are the Wildcats genuinely improved?

15. The pollsters are going to eventually regret being so down on Gonzaga. We're just not going to know it for a while.

16. If North Carolina is the best offensive team in the country, Illinois might be the best defensive team. The Illini are certainly in theconversation.

17. Look out SEC. "Big Blue" (Kentucky) has emerged as the team to beat.

18. Will the real Notre Dame ever show up away from home?

19. Baylor is better defensively than a year ago, but not enough to be a serious postseason threat.

http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3844604&story=3844383','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">[+] Enlarge
ncb_i_green_200.jpg

Sandra Dukes/Icon SMIBy season's end, expect Purdue to be better than its current record.
20. Purdue is learning that playing with expectations is much harder than being a "surprise" team. The Boilermakers are better than theirrecord, however, and will prove it by the end of the season.
21. Miami is "Exhibit A" in what happens when North Carolina chooses to play both ends of the floor.

22. Tennessee is playing to its true level. In other words, this is not a Sweet 16 team.

23. A few teams, like Davidson and, especially, Butler, are going to be disappointed with their seeds come Selection Sunday.

24. It's still more likely that the Big East will have eight or fewer NCAA teams than the nine or 10 people (including me) have talked about. Villanova,West Virginia, Providence and Cincinnati are the only realistic at-large candidates outside the top seven, but combined are 4-14 versus the InsideRPI Top50.

25. I have no idea whether or not Florida is legit. We might finally get an idea with upcoming road games at South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Tennessee.

26. I was wrong about Wisconsin winning the Big Ten this year. When the Badgers' offense is ahead of their defense, it's not a vintage year inMadison.

27. Saint Mary's is by no means an NCAA tournament lock. The Gaels haven't played a single InsideRPI Top 50 team and, outside of BracketBusters,have all their eggs in the "beating Gonzaga" basket.

28. It's hard to believe Florida State hasn't been to the NCAA tournament since 1998. And that team shouldn't have been selected, after it losteight of its last 11 games. Otherwise the drought extends to 1993.

29. Missouri puts up some incredible numbers. What the Tigers need now is for Cal to keep winning, as that is Mizzou's only incredible victory todate.

http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3844589&story=3844383','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">[+] Enlarge
ncb_a_okst_200.jpg

AP Photo/Rod AydelotteTravis Ford has Oklahoma State running up and down the floor, but will it be good enough in the Big 12?
30. Don't sleep on Utah. The Utes are for real (just ask Gonzaga!).
31. Travis Ford has taken his "we can outscore you" style from Massachusetts to Oklahoma State. It didn't work at UMass, despite back-to-back20-win seasons, and the jury is out in the Big 12, where the Cowboys just dropped a 98-92 overtime decision at Baylor.

32. Illinois State is going to need more than a gaudy record to be an at-large team out of the Missouri Valley. A nonconference schedule near the bottom ofDivision I (No. 324) will do it every time.

33. Siena has great numbers (InsideRPI No. 29, SOS No. 34), but no signature wins. The Saints went 0-4 against Top 50 teams in their effort to build afavorable at-large profile.

34. The cluster atop the Missouri Valley Conference is really going to hurt the league's chances to return to multi-bid status.

35. George Mason's 2006 lightning is coming out of the bottle again. The Patriots are going for back-to-back NCAA bids for the first time in schoolhistory.

36. Penn and Princeton are the only non-independents in the country yet to play a conference game. And it's going to be a while (Jan. 30) for the twotraditional Ivy League powers.

37. From the current bracket, Stephen F. Austin (Southland), North Dakota State (Summit) and New Hampshire (America East) would be making their first NCAAtournament appearances.

38. Talk about leaving it all on the court. Boston College was so drained by the upset win at North Carolina that the Eagles have lost four in a row,including three at home (one to Harvard).

http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3844592&story=3844383','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">[+] Enlarge
ncb_a_butler_200.jpg

AP Photo/Michael ConroyDid you know that Butler has only one loss this season?
39. Maryland was the last team in the country to play a true road game. Any wonder the Terps then lost close games at Miami and Florida State?
40. We know Wake Forest is the last unbeaten team in the land. It might surprise you that only eight other teams have just one loss: Butler, Clemson, Duke,Pitt, Oklahoma, Saint Mary's, UConn and Utah State.

41. At the other end of the spectrum, NJIT (0-18) remains winless and has now lost 51 times in a row. The Highlanders last won on Feb. 19, 2007 at Longwood.Since joining Division I, NJIT is now 5-71 over two and a half seasons.

42. Furman is winless so far this season against Division I opponents (0-13).

43. Alabama A&M, Louisiana Tech, Southern and UMKC are the only four teams in the country with multiple losses to non-Division I opponents.

44. Barack Obama's brother-in-law, Craig Robinson, has already won one more Pac-10 game at Oregon State than the Beavers did all of last season(0-18).

Joe Lunardi is the resident bracketologist for ESPN, ESPN.com and ESPN Radio. Comments may be sent to [email protected].

my lil dude Iman and Derrick Favors can be scary..he used to be lil skinny runt at the gym..amazing to see how he has grown (no catch a predator)

9. Quick: Who has the best record in the Big East? Bonus points if you knew without looking that it's Marquette.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Gotta Continue it this upcoming week, after depaul, ND and Hoyas
pimp.gif

^^do ya thang against harangody..please dont let him get off..i hate that dude for some reason ..

Back
Top Bottom