The College Basketball Post

It's entirely possible Pitt could find themselves in trouble in a 2nd round/Sweet 16 game.

Did anyone see Blair's back up tonight?

Exactly.

Foul trouble on him can spell doom. But he does a good job of staying out of it...

Originally Posted by DMONEY23444

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

.whoever came up with this has no clue.

I'd be willing to bet the house that Andy Glockner knows more about college basketball than you ever will. But that's just a hunch.
grin.gif

I'd be willing to bet anyone who wants to bet that UK is not an 11 seed as of right now....he must not know too much....he may know more about other teams than me, but no way does he know more about UK than me....as i see if u agree with him u must not either.

Oh yeah, remind me not waste my $ on betting Syracuse ever again, thats twice in 1 week....i know they are #8 in the Nation, but there are atleast 30-35 teams who would spank them if they played.

As of right now you have them a lot higher eh? Well, Lunardi has them a 6 right now - that puts them ranked about 20-24th on his list... to be an11 seed where glockner has you, you would be ranked 40-44th on the s-curve... basically the discrepancy is that it's very hard to tell the differencebetween a team who is ranked 24th and the team who is ranked 40th at this point in the season.

For instance - ken pomeroy's rankings right now have Marquette as the 24th team in the nation with Marquette as the 40th... you mean to tell me you can sithere and tell me for certain the difference between these two squads this early in the season? i sure can't.

So while you may look at the difference in an 11 and a 6 as a huge deal right now, you have to realize if somebody like Glockner is trying to rank his teams inthe 24-40 range and he sees UK has a loss to VMI on their schedule, don't they immediately drop? I believe they do.

They are probably very likely somewhere in between a 6 and an 11 right now, but who could really make that distinction at this point? A UK fan like you?
laugh.gif
yeah that'd be a fair assessment.

Point is - don't get too caught up in these things until mid februrary... RPI is the biggest component of where you stand, and right now you guys have ahealthy one. That's all that matters.

Is it too soon to be looking forward to baseball season? It's only 32 days away, and I've given up on this basketball season...

I don't know why Turg keeps scheduling so many patsies during the non-con season for you guys. Keep the faith though, he's a hell of a coach.

laugh.gif

I don't even know where to start. We started off terrible but were somehow within a point a halftime and then we just feel apart. We got beat to everyloose ball.

It seemed like Pitt had so many easy shots and we didn't get close to any.

Guys like Devo and Jonny disappeared...the only guy that always shows up is Rautins. I agree with you Allen. Jim needs to get some guys in.Kris Joseph NEEDStime. We can't go $###%*+ 6 guys the whole $###%*+ year. Rick Jackson thinks he a $###%*+ beast now. He is still a guy who can finish SOME layups and dunk.All he has is a dumb hook shot.

Pitt is always tough at home, and I think we can beat them. But we didn't even show up tonight. I hate watching games like this....always digging a holethen coming from behind. Its annoying as #+*!.

We are putting ourselves in a sticky situation losing these road games. If were going to stay top 15 we need to win some road games and take care at home.We'll need to steal a few on the road and now the Ville game Sunday is pretty important. And I don't like how we matchup at all.

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

DaComeUp, just so you know...it's a rap for yall come Thursday
happy.gif

I think SJU is a nice little bounce back game for us on the road. Deonta had a rough night so I expect a big game on Thursday. We definitely will get the winthough. Turnovers are our achillies heel though, anyone that can have us around 12-15+ TOs will probably win since we aren't the most high scoring team asit is.

From post game...

Paul Harris says he hopes and prays they play Pitt in the BET and he will be a monster

laugh.gif

And Boeheim says the T's were bad and god agreed with Fields missing all 4 FT's
roll.gif

My Ags need some serious help.. hopefully we can make a run in the 2nd half of our conference schedule and make the tourney.

Originally Posted by i am toddzo

My Ags need some serious help.. hopefully we can make a run in the 2nd half of our conference schedule and make the tourney.
It's gonna take quite a bit from here...we desperately need a signature road win, and in what were arguably our two best chances, we got blownout. I think OK State and Kansas provided us the most favorable matchups to get a good road win. I know those two places are really tough places to play, butthat's the kind of win we desperately need. Hopefully we can catch a good road win at Texas (as much as I doubt that), or Baylor (which might actually beeasier than @ OK State or @ Kansas) because I don't see us winning at Oklahoma. We're gonna need to be damn near perfect at home from here on out, too.

True.. we need to win out at home.. I'm hoping we can sweep Baylor. I think there's a good chance that Texas sweeps us this year too.

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

pitt going to get bounced early in the tourney this year.

refs sucked today. the phantom T on harris. rick got T'd. Blair tosses the ball at Arinze and didn' get a T.

Higgins just doesnt like syracuse.

well beat Louisville on Sunday.
eyes.gif
I think we've found Petey's replacement. That gamewas unwatchable from a Syracuse standpoint. They flat out played like %+%@ the entire game. Paul Harris' IQ has to be one of the lowest I've seen for abasketball player. It's just ridiculous. If Jimmy B keeps running a six man rotation, this team will find itself in the same position it did last year.Mookie can play and Kris can play. Does he not have faith in his own team?

Paul Harris says he hopes and prays they play Pitt in the BET and he will be a monster
suwy7k.gif

Kris Joseph certainly can play...do not see the harm in giving him 15 minutes in a game like tonight. It will only be beneficial long term

I've heard about Mookie for a longgggggggg time....surprising to me for him to not see the court, at all.

Originally Posted by DMONEY23444

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

.whoever came up with this has no clue.

I'd be willing to bet the house that Andy Glockner knows more about college basketball than you ever will. But that's just a hunch.
grin.gif

I'd be willing to bet anyone who wants to bet that UK is not an 11 seed as of right now....he must not know too much....he may know more about other teams than me, but no way does he know more about UK than me....as i see if u agree with him u must not either.

Oh yeah, remind me not waste my $ on betting Syracuse ever again, thats twice in 1 week....i know they are #8 in the Nation, but there are atleast 30-35 teams who would spank them if they played.

id agree with this. UK is NOT an 11 seed, right now, I would put UK as an 8 seed, if they win the or place second in the SEC I could see them as a 6 and withthe luck the Kentucky name always brings possibly a low 5 seed. I mean come on they are UK, they always get special treatment come Selection Sunday, plus withthe easy SEC, they should be back in top 25 within the next 2 weeks so a 5-6 seed is not a stretch.

Originally Posted by RellNye

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

pitt going to get bounced early in the tourney this year.

refs sucked today. the phantom T on harris. rick got T'd. Blair tosses the ball at Arinze and didn' get a T.

Higgins just doesnt like syracuse.

well beat Louisville on Sunday.
eyes.gif
I think we've found Petey's replacement. That game was unwatchable from a Syracuse standpoint. They flat out played like %+%@ the entire game. Paul Harris' IQ has to be one of the lowest I've seen for a basketball player. It's just ridiculous. If Jimmy B keeps running a six man rotation, this team will find itself in the same position it did last year. Mookie can play and Kris can play. Does he not have faith in his own team?
Word. These last two road games have been bad to watch.

I think we will make the tournament so Jim needs to realize these guys are important for then.

Mullens needs to play well tonight if there gunna have a chance.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

And Boeheim says the T's were bad and god agreed with Fields missing all 4 FT's
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Harris got a T for talking %#+%? That was terrible. Jackson deserved his.

The Cuse are so inconsistent right now one game they blowin a team out the next they really strugglein,the Big East conference is tough this year and the wholeACC Big East argument is pointless really 2 different styles of play they about even.

The referees in college ball are getting as inconsistent as NBA refs tha 2 games tonight were awfully officiated since when is it a taunting tech if u dont getup in the guys face Paul Harris plays with pasion n I dont think he over stepped the mark he had every right to be upset there was alot of other dubious callsto.

The Kansas home bias from the refs was dreadfull they were gettin crazy calls I hate to see that ina game let the players decide the outcome yea A&M wereoutmatched but the refs made it alot harder for them.

I hope come Conference tourny n NCAA tourny refs are letting them play n not callin crap ticky tac fouls.

Peace
Scottie

your guys having been talking alllllll year...you reap what you sow...Boeheim shoulda put an end to it last year.

Said after the Rutgers game it'd come back to bite them at some point.

Here's a look at this week's best games, along with some others that have some intrigue. The games are listed in chronological order.

We'll have our "Weekend Viewer's Guide" feature on Friday afternoon.
[table][tr][td]
DANTECUNNINGHAM250_0119.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Dante Cunningham has become an offensive force for Villanova.[/td] [/tr][/table]This week's five to watch
OhioState at Illinois, Tuesday, 7 p.m., ESPN: This is the third game of a key five-game stretch for the Illini, who beat Michigan,then lost to Michigan State. A home game against Wisconsin and a road game against Minnesota close out the quintet. Illinois (15-3, 3-2 Big Ten) has been oneof the nation's biggest surprises, especially considering the summer dismissal of would-be starting guard Jamar Smith for off-court issues. The Illini havefour players averaging between 11.3 and 11.8 points per game and are playing especially well defensively. They force 15.8 turnovers per game and can bestifling on the perimeter. Ohio State (13-3, 3-2) is coming off a win at Michigan and plays host to Michigan State on Sunday. Sophomore Evan Turner and freshman William Buford are carrying the load of late, and freshman big man B.J. Mullens seems to be coming around offensively.

Villanova at Connecticut, Wednesday, 7 p.m., ESPN: This is the only regular-season meeting between these teams. Senior big manDante Cunningham has become an offensive force for Villanova (14-3, 2-2 BigEast). Cunningham is averaging 17.4 points, up from 10.4 last season. But no other Wildcats frontcourt player is consistent offensively, putting a huge burdenon Cunningham against a big-time UConn frontcourt. UConn (16-1, 5-1) has won five in a row since a home loss to Georgetown, but the Huskies haven't exactlyplayed a "Who's Who" of Big East contenders, either. UConn defeated Rutgers, West Virginia, Cincinnati, St. John's and Seton Hall in thestreak. Forward Jeff Adrien and center Hasheem Thabeet give UConn a dangerous duo in the low post, and there's a nicefour-man rotation at guard, headed by A.J. Price and Jerome Dyson. The backcourt matchups should be fun to watch, but can Cunningham hold hisown against Adrien and Thabeet?

Clemsonat NorthCarolina, Wednesday, 9 p.m., ESPN: These teams played two extraordinary regular-season games last season, including a double-overtime thriller inChapel Hill. Clemson's Trevor Booker did not play well in Clemson's lossto Wake Forest, and he must hold his own against Tyler Hansbrough. Terrence Oglesby also has to be sharp from 3-point range for Clemson (16-1, 2-1 ACC).UNC (16-2) lost its first two ACC games but has won its past two. The Heels have turned up the defensive pressure in the past two games. Can they handle theTigers defensively? All five of UNC's starters average in double figures, but Clemson had no problem hanging with the Heels offensively last season.

UNLV atBYU, Wednesday, 10 p.m.,CBS College Sports: UNLV (14-4) was the prohibitive preseason favorite in the Mountain West, but the Runnin' Rebels already have lost twice inleague play and find themselves in sixth place. One of the teams they trail is BYU (14-3, 2-1), which was hammered by New Mexico on Saturday. UNLV's leaguelosses have come on the road, and senior guard Wink Adams isn't having thekind of offensive season that was expected. Adams is shooting just 23.6 percent from 3-point range. Offense hasn't been a problem for BYU, which isshooting 50.3 percent from the floor as a team. Guards Lee Cummard and JimmerFredette[/db] and forward Jonathan Tavernari are solid perimeter players, andCummard has a great midrange game. However, UNLV looks to have the advantage in the frontcourt. Last season, each team won big on its home court.

Purdue atMinnesota,Thursday, 7 p.m., ESPN2: After opening Big Ten play 0-2, Purdue has won three in a row. But this will be the start of a tough five-game stretch thatsees the Boilermakers (14-4) playing at Wisconsin, vs. Michigan, at Ohio State and at Illinois after they meet the Golden Gophers. Robbie Hummel's return from back spasms has been a big spark. The Boilermakers aresolid defensively, but they've scored more than 70 points just once in the past seven games. It doesn't help that guard Keaton Grant's offense has fallen off, especially his 3-point shooting (down almost12 percent, from 44.0 percent to 32.6). Minnesota (16-2, 4-2) followed up a big win at Wisconsin with a confounding loss at Northwestern. The Gophers have justone player averaging in double figures - junior guard Lawrence Westbrook - andgenerally win with defense. Five of their next seven are on the road after this one.

Others to keep an eye on

Creighton at Evansville, Tuesday, 7 p.m., ESPNU: It's becoming increasingly evident that the Missouri Valley Conference is going to getonly one NCAA bid, and these teams are in danger of falling out of the race for the regular-season title.

Michigan at Penn State, Tuesday, 9 p.m., Big Ten Network: Penn State (14-5, 3-3 Big Ten) is one of those "Do I believe in thisteam or not?" squads. A victory over Michigan (13-5, 3-3) would be impressive for the Nittany Lions, who already have beaten Purdue at home.

Tennessee at Vanderbilt, Tuesday, 9 p.m., ESPN: Both teams have been disappointments. Vandy hasn't beaten a team that has awinning record since late November.

Virginia Tech at Wake Forest, Wednesday, 7 p.m., ESPN2: Wake is coming off an undefeated showdown at Clemson and plays host toDuke in its next game. Thus, the Hokies are hoping Wake isn't ready for them.

Florida State at Miami, Wednesday, 7:30 p.m.: This is a big ACC game between teams with designs on finishing in the top five of theleague.

Mississippi State at LSU, Wednesday, 8 p.m.: The SEC West is a jumbled mess. Mississippi State is the only divisionteam unbeaten in league play and LSU is the only other division team above .500 in conference action.

Wisconsin at Iowa, Wednesday, 8:30 p.m., Big Ten Network: Think of this as a sort of last stand for Iowa in terms of its NCAA at-largehopes. The Hawkeyes started 10-3 but have lost four of their past five.

Arizona State at Arizona, Wednesday, 9:30 p.m., Fox Sports Net Arizona: This is the first of four consecutive home games for theWildcats (11-7), who are 2-4 in Pac-10 play and need a win. Arizona State (15-3, 4-2) swept the season series last season.

Nebraska at Oklahoma, Wednesday, 9 p.m., ESPNU: The next three games - at Oklahoma, vs. Oklahoma State and vs. Kansas - will tella lot about Nebraska's chances of becoming an NCAA at-large entrant.

Missouri at Oklahoma State, Wednesday, 9 p.m., Big 12 syndication/ESPN FullCourt: This is only the third true road game forMissouri, which lost at Nebraska in league play. After this, Oklahoma State has four of its next six on the road.

Wisconsin-Green Bay at Butler, Thursday, 7 p.m.: Butler owns a one-game lead in the Horizon League over UWGB, which has four of its nextfive at home after this road affair.

West Virginia at Georgetown, Thursday, 7 p.m., ESPN: It's going to take a great effort - plus some help from Georgetown -if WVU is to pull off this road upset.

Saint Mary's at San Diego, Thursday, 9 p.m., ESPN2: San Diego has been a disappointment, but the Toreros are unbeaten in West CoastConference play and a win over the Gaels would be huge.

USC atWashington,Thursday, 11 p.m., Fox Sports Net: Washington is coming off a sweep of the Pac-10's Oregon schools and now gets the league's two L.A. schoolsat home. After that, though, a four-game road trip awaits. USC, meanwhile, is coming off a sweep of the league's Arizona schools.

anyone wana post this insider?

Fran on Big East

thanks.

Will rugged Big East be hurt in long run?

Monday, January 19, 2009 http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3845005&type=blogEntry

Posted by Fran Fraschilla

I got to call No. 20 Louisville's 69-63 upset of No. 1 Pittsburgh on Saturday night with good buddies Sean McDonough and Bill Raftery. Louisvillerallied from 13 points down in the first half and from 10 points down in the second to come back and win. The energy in the 52-year basketball museum known asFreedom Hall was palpable as the 20,000 mostly Cardinal fans went home delirious. It was fitting that the upset came on a night when the 1983 Final Four Cardswere honored at halftime, which added to the electricity in the building.

Here are some others thoughts I had after the game:

• While I coached in the Big East and have always been a fan of the league, I keep forgetting how physical Big East games are and there's very littlecomplaining about it from the coaches. I have seen half of the 16 teams in person already this season and I am amazed by the intensity of the games.

Big teams like Pittsburgh and UConn can maul you inside. The pressing teams, like Louisville, Seton Hall or Marquette, that have strong, aggressive guardscan get after you on the perimeter. There are a lot of high-energy coaches in the conference, like Bobby Huggins and Jay Wright, and their teams get after it.I know that NCAA officiating coordinator John Adams is trying to clean up physical play, but refereeing in the Big East is like walking a police beat in theSouth Bronx. You can't catch everything.

I would worry, if I were a coach of a Big East team in the NCAA tournament, just how much my team will be able to get away with. Officials assigned toearly-round games are graded based on how well they officiate, not just on how well they follow the rules, but also the points of emphasis regarding physicalplay. For example, this season a defender putting two hands on a player with the basketball is an automatic foul call.

• While Louisville's guard play has been erratic this year, Rick Pitino might have the two best passing forwards in the country in 6-foot-8 Earl Clark and 6-6 Terrence Williams. In effect, they are the Cardinals' playmakers.

Williams is a warrior who is a potential triple-double guy every time he steps on the floor. In fact, Pitino told me he'd consider playing Williams atthe point if he didn't need his rebounding so badly. The senior's leadership in both practice and in the games was exceptional and a far cry from thelast time I saw him play in Freedom Hall. I was there to call a Louisville NIT game in 2006 against Missouri State, and I remember him as a pouting freshman.He's a jump shot away from being a solid NBA prospect, but in addition to rebounding and passing, he defends, gets into the lane off the dribble and bringsgreat energy.

If Clark could shoot the ball from the perimeter and he had a little bit higher "motor," he'd be a lock top-five pick in this NBA draftbecause he is so versatile and has a NBA small forward's size and ballhandling skills already. His motor was revved up against the Panthers because, inaddition to making some clutch shots, he grabbed some big-time "traffic rebounds" against that rough-and-tumble front line.

• I never believed in the "good loss" theory. Pitt squandered this game and I am sure that Jamie Dixon felt that way when he watched the tape.Nevertheless, I doubt few people gave the Panthers a realistic chance of getting through the Big East unscathed. What's more important, as Dixon knows, isthat his team has a short memory because they come back Monday to play No. 8 Syracuse at home.

In this league, win or lose, you had better put the last game behind you physically and mentally as quickly as possible. Quality teams come at you so fastthat you can lose a game you should win if you bring less than your best effort. The best approach to have is to be able to convince your team to have aone-game winning streak mentality. If you look past the next game on your schedule, you will get whacked by someone that shouldn't beat you.

DeJuan Blair is a stud. I can't think of a player in the country who playswith more exuberance than he does. But he's got to stay out of foul trouble for Pittsburgh to be at its best.

Because of careless fouls, Blair was limited to nine points and 10 rebounds in the loss to Louisville. In fact, with Blair in the game, Pittsburgh held a44-37 advantage. When he was sitting next to Dixon in foul trouble, the Cards held a 32-19 edge. This was the difference in the game. After Blair picked up hisfourth foul with 8:04 to go in the game, the Panthers were outscored 22-8 down the stretch.

Louisville did a good job of limiting Blair's touches on the offensive end as well. Of the 39 offensive possessions that he was on the floor for, heonly touched the basketball 10 times.

• Nobody asked me but the Big East has five teams capable of getting to the Final Four: UConn, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Georgetown and Louisville. While my guyKen Pomeroy has eight Big East teams in the top 30 in his latest college basketball rankings, I think these five have the best chance of representing theleague.

Louisville's inconsistent offense scares me, but I love what they do defensively. The Cardinals press in the backcourt and rarely give up easy basketsat the other end. If they don't turn you over or speed you up into a quick shot with poor offensive rebounding opportunities, they have usually milked someof the shot clock. Then you have only about 23 seconds to attack their 2-3 zone that has aggressive guards and the length in the back line to coversideline-to-sideline. The X factor, in my opinion, is the freshman, Samardo Samuels.He must learn to score against length in the post to give the Cards an inside scorer versus elite teams.

Pittsburgh had a blue-collar toughness on both ends of the floor. The Panthers possess outstanding players at three key positions: in Levance Fields, they have an experienced point guard, Sam Young is one of the most versatile inside-out scorers in the country and Blair is thehorse inside. There's enough depth on the perimeter to get through the first two weekends of the NCAA tournament, although they could use one more livebody inside.

UConn has the size to be one of the most effective teams in the country inside the arc on both ends of the floor. While people, including myself, wantHasheem Thabeet to be Dikembe Mutombo right now, he is still a dominating presence onmost nights. Jim Calhoun has a team with a lot of positive attributes, including veterans A.J. Price and JeffAdrien. But the one critical component of a Final Four run will be the play of freshman point guard Kemba Walker -- the faster he matures and the more Calhoun trusts him to run the team, themore likely they get to Detroit in April. He gets into the paint and makes the game easier for everyone.

I mentioned the Cuse in my blog last week but they've got depth, the great point guard play of Jonny Flynn, shooters, a jack-of-all trades in Paul Harris and the horse inside in Arinze Onuaku. And they can play effectively in a man or zone defense this year. If youhaven't seen a 2-3 zone like theirs during the season, it's difficult to get ready for in the NCAA tournament. Remember, opponents are shooting only 29percent from behind the arc against the Orange.

DaJuan Summers, another one of those versatile forwards, is having an outstandingjunior season, but the rest of Georgetown's key components are young players. Will the Hoyas have the experience to do damage in the NCAA tournament?Let's put it this way: By the time the young Hoyas get through the Big East season, sophomores Austin Freeman and Chris Wright will feel like seniors and the league's best freshman, Greg Monroe, will be a junior. I also love the potential of freshman guard and formerWashington, D.C., Met Player of the Year Jason Clark.

thanks messiah, you know anythin bout Rakeem Christmas?

Who remembers this?

Wild guess on who the ref was?John Cahill.

Back
Top Bottom