The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by allen3xis

[table][tr][td]Roscoe Smith[/td] [td]Reply[/td] [/tr][/table]
G'Town, UNC, and Villanova lead for his services. I would bet on G'Town on that one.

The guy who posted that it was down to those 3 was Smitty, who is a guy who is pretty well connected to the local recruiting scene... has close relationships with a lot of local players, used to be more involved in the AAU scene couple things like that.
[table][tr][td]Re: Roscoe Smith[/td] [td]Reply[/td] [/tr][/table]
I'll take you up on that bet Smitty.

However the post is followed by Can do it saying he'd "take that bet", ie he doesn't think he's going to Georgetown and instead thinks he's going to one of the others (probably UNC who has been rumored to be the favorite in the past). Can do it, if I recall correctly, is the father of Kendall Marshall who is committed to UNC in the 2010 class.

Take it however you wana.

mad.gif
%@!# it go to Nova
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

[table][tr][td]Roscoe Smith[/td] [td]Reply[/td] [/tr][/table]
G'Town, UNC, and Villanova lead for his services. I would bet on G'Town on that one.

The guy who posted that it was down to those 3 was Smitty, who is a guy who is pretty well connected to the local recruiting scene... has close relationships with a lot of local players, used to be more involved in the AAU scene couple things like that.
[table][tr][td]Re: Roscoe Smith[/td] [td]Reply[/td] [/tr][/table]
I'll take you up on that bet Smitty.

However the post is followed by Can do it saying he'd "take that bet", ie he doesn't think he's going to Georgetown and instead thinks he's going to one of the others (probably UNC who has been rumored to be the favorite in the past). Can do it, if I recall correctly, is the father of Kendall Marshall who is committed to UNC in the 2010 class.

Take it however you wana.

mad.gif
%@!# it go to Nova
smh.gif

Wait a min, since when was Roscoe being recruited by Nova???

Every Nova contact I kno NEVA mention Roscoe as a possible recruit...

!#%@ damn if is know Messiah, Duke was up there once upon a time then this info came about. Damn near ruinned my am
smh.gif

Then I went into the thread about Pooh making Andre Miller sit on his @%* and I felt better
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I really don't know...

just passing it along.

I think it is a 2 team race...G'Town/UNC

and sadly, is dependent on UNC wanting him or Barnes.

Maryland's Greivis Vasquez was shut down by the combination of Jessie Sapp and Chris Wright, it was over. The Terps just don't have enough of a supporting cast.

Vasquez was held scoreless in the first half and finished with just two points.

"We play and we talk junk," Sapp said. "I didn't let it get to me at all. As the game went on, it started to get less and less talk."

Seriously, what could Vasquez and his teammates possibly say? This game was a rout with five minutes left in the first half.

Maybe now we know why these two teams don't play one another. It wasn't exactly a game.
not one turtle fan if cared to comment in the game thread after the tip.
laugh.gif
...thoughts, guys?

Gary also closed his locker room to the media post game
laugh.gif

Keep Gary forever.

Anyone who watched UAB this weekend, think they could surprise in March? I realize they lost...but they have some talent and really can get up and down thecourt. Could be a bad match up for someone.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Gonzaga shot well against Tennessee.

James Harden shot well against UTEP.

Here's Monday morning's What You Need To Know:

Notable game from Sunday: Gonzaga won the Old Spice Classic with an 83-74 victory over Tennessee that launched the Zags to third in the updated Top 25 (and one). Jeremy Pargo got 10 points and seven assists, but more importantly controlled the tempo and by extension the game. The senior point guard finished with just two turnovers, which was four fewer than his total in last season's loss to Tennessee, and the Zags shot 51.9 percent from the field as a team.

Notable performance from Sunday: Arizona State sophomore James Harden finished 14-of-25 from the field to get a career-high 40 points in an 88-58 blowout of UTEP. He made six of seven 3-point attempts, all six free throws, and he's now averaging 27.0 points per game.

Notable game scheduled for Monday: The Big Ten/ACC Challenge gets underway with Wisconsin at Virginia Tech, which is a nice game but mostly just proof that ESPN either A) couldn't get anybody to play on Monday, or B) didn't want to put anything great opposite Monday Night Football. Regardless, it's the Badgers (5-1) and Hokies (4-2) to get the Big Ten/ACC Challenge started. Tip-off is set for 7 pm ET.

Originally Posted by dreClark

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

x4 I swear its the same $+%@ with every top recruit
tired.gif

Thornton, Dawkins and Hairston isn't enough?!
laugh.gif
Gary basically handed all three of them on a silver platter to Duke. Coach K must have him on payroll. And Don't even get me started on howGary should get paid as the AD for GU, I mean I don't kno who did more wonders for that GU program JTIII or Gary.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:24 am EST
[h4]The Jonny Flynn interview: 'Cuse's super soph talks to The Dagger[/h4]
By Nick Friedell

ept_sports_ncaab_experts-617164323-1228057710.jpg
Nick Friedellis on the scene this week at the CBE and Old Spice Classics in Kansas City and Orlando, respectively. Here's his latest dispatch.

Jonny Flynn may be the best point guard in America. The Syracuse sophomore has given upstate New Yorkers reason to believe that the Orange will get backinto the NCAA Tournament, and might be a legitimate threat to cut down the nets in the process. The smiling teenager is also making NBA scouts drool, because one day, in the very near future, thekid is going to make some GM extremely happy. In the meantime, he spends his free time like pretty much every other college kid in the country ...

The Dagger: What's it like seeing yourself in a video game commercial?

Jonny Flynn: (Smiles) That's pretty wild. The first time I saw it, I seen me do a little cross-over, then they show me passing the ball, I waslike, at least I could shoot the ball or something like that. That's just great seeing yourself in a video game, knowing that you could be a householdname, so that was pretty big for me.

TD: So when you're playing the game with your buddies, do you play as yourself?

JF: Got to. (Smiles) I don't know who wouldn't play [as] them self. I don't care if I was a walk-on, I would start myself, and playmyself, every minute of every game. [Being featured in the game] is just cool. The opportunity that we have, you know college basketball, we got our own videogame, it's really fun just being around the guys and doing that.

TD: What's the best part about playing college ball?

JF: I think just all the love, and all the fans. [There's] a genuine love from the fans, especially at Syracuse. Just going in every night, knowing thatpeople genuinely want you to win, and genuinely care for you. It's not like that in the NBA. It's a different kind of vibe in the NBA. It's adifferent kind of vibe everywhere else. In college, the fans support you all the way and it's just great.

TD: What about the girls?

JF: (Smiles) The girls are always going to be there. [The best part] is the fans ... and the girls. HAHAHA!http://

TD: You played against ChrisPaul over the summer, what do you remember most about that experience?

JF: We played a seven-game series. We won the series too. (Smiles)

TD: I heard that.

JF: Afterward, [Paul] pulled me to the side. That's big, it's not every day you get a superstar talking to you about the game of basketball, the bestpoint guard in the game, to me. He really broke down the game of basketball with me: side pick and rolls, flat screen pick and rolls. Just to learn from a guylike that, of his caliber, and what he [is doing] in the NBA, was really a great week for me.

TD: Is Paul somebody you want to model your game after?

JF: Definitely. You want to take bits and pieces from him, Steve Nash, Tony Parker, you kind of want to be a well-rounded point guard. You want to take bitsand pieces from everybody. But, you still want to be yourself, though. A lot of people might compare me to [Paul], might compare me to another person, butI'm still going to be myself out there on the court.

ept_sports_ncaab_experts-725262236-1228058480.jpg

TD: Speaking of the NBA, are you already sick of all the questions about whether or not you'll declare for the Draft after this season?

JF: Yeah. Definitely. But, we just gotta win. I'm in college right now, that's what I'm thinking about ... I'm not thinking about [whether ornot I'll declare for] the NBA, which is months from now, a decision that I will have to make months from now. When that decision comes, I'll sit downwith my family, but right now that's the furthest thing from my mind.

TD: I read somewhere that baseball was your first love.

JF: Oh my God. (Smiles) I think I like baseball still more than I like basketball. I love watching baseball. The Yankees, even though they had a downyear, that's my team ... my pops played baseball. That's one of the sports he really wanted me to play, but it just didn't work out like that,being [from] up north. I think about [if I was] from down south, anywhere, anywhere else, where baseball was big, I think I'd be playing baseball, notbasketball. So, everything worked out the right way. (Laughs)

TD: Do you ever wonder how everything might have turned out differently if you had stuck with baseball?

JF: Yeah ... coming in as a freshman in high school, I was thinking, "I'm going to go to a school like Stanford or LSU that's got a good baseballteam and good basketball team, or Miami, good baseball team, good basketball team. But, as I got a little older, spring baseball was cutting into AAU[basketball], so it came time where I had to make a decision, and basketball was my decision.

TD: Which player would you have modeled yourself after baseball-wise?

JF: Ah, I love Omar Vizquel.

TD: You played shortstop?

JF: Yeah, I played shortstop, love Omar Vizquel. He was a solid player, never made errors, and things like that, could come through with clutch hits for theIndians. So, he was a player I really looked at, him and Ozzie Smith, old-school Ozzie.

TD: So would you have done the flip like Ozzie?

JF: Yeah, I'm pretty athletic. I can flip. I don't do it [anymore], but I think I could do it. (Laughs)

TD: What's the craziest message you've gotten on Facebook since you've been in school?

JF: (Pauses) Well, when we play U-Conn. and Georgetown, there's a lot of ... stuff you can't even say. You just picture it, and whateveryou're thinking in you're head has probably been said [to me] on Facebook. That's the thing about college basketball, you probably don't getthat in the pros. People from other schools sending you hate mail, getting you fired up, going to other people's courts. They have chants for you ...that's the thing about college basketball, that love.

TD: How much different is it playing basketball in the Carrier Dome compared to a regular arena?

JF: The thing about the Dome is when visiting teams come in, it's going to take about five or 10 minutes to get the awe out of them, that they'replaying in the Dome ... when you get a Georgetown coming in, or a Connecticut, with 30,000 people, you can't emulate that nowhere else in the country.Thirty-thousand fans ... sometimes when you hit a big shot, it gets loud. You can't even hear yourself talking to your [teammates]. Playing in the CarrierDome, to me, is the best basketball venue in the U.S.

TD: A lot of people have said that you are the best point in the nation. Do you feel that way when you're on the court?

JF: Of course. You gotta feel like you're the best all the time. If I didn't feel like I was the best I would quit. I wouldn't push myself to goout there and get extra jump shots, get extra weightlifting. You have to go out there with a swagger in yourself, that you are the best, but you have torespect other people. You don't go out there and say you're the best, and you don't respect anyone else's game. I respect a lot of point guardsout there, but I want to be the best point guard in the nation.

TD: I read that you've always wanted to play forthe Knicks. Are you out of your mind?

JF: (Laughs) Nah, the Knicks are my team, man. Going from the [Carrier] Dome, a great venue, to Madison Square Garden was always a dream growing up.Watching the Knicks/Heat series was always big for me. That's why I always wanted to play in a heated battle like that. So, with [Mike] D'Antoni comingin ... they're making a little cap room so we can bring in somebody. So, that's still a dream of mine, playing for the Knicks.

TD: Syracuse is still looking for a football coach, could Boeheim take over the football team?

JF: (Laughs) I don't think he know nothing about football. He might be the best basketball wizard, but I don't know if he knows anything aboutfootball. But, hopefully we get a good football coach to restore our history, and the football program.

TD: If he did take over, would you play quarterback again, like you did when you were little?

JF: (Smiles) Definitely. I'd follow him right to the football field.

Originally Posted by Mr Subliminals

http://

TD: Speaking of the NBA, are you already sick of all the questions about whether or not you'll declare for the Draft after this season?

JF: Yeah. Definitely. But, we just gotta win. I'm in college right now, that's what I'm thinking about ... I'm not thinking about [whether or not I'll declare for] the NBA, which is months from now, a decision that I will have to make months from now. When that decision comes, I'll sit down with my family, but right now that's the furthest thing from my mind.

TD: How much different is it playing basketball in the Carrier Dome compared to a regular arena?

JF: The thing about the Dome is when visiting teams come in, it's going to take about five or 10 minutes to get the awe out of them, that they're playing in the Dome ... when you get a Georgetown coming in, or a Connecticut, with 30,000 people, you can't emulate that nowhere else in the country. Thirty-thousand fans ... sometimes when you hit a big shot, it gets loud. You can't even hear yourself talking to your [teammates]. Playing in the Carrier Dome, to me, is the best basketball venue in the U.S.

Man if he stays I think Harris would stay.Our team...
eek.gif

Can't wait for Uconn and G'town games this year. There always the best
pimp.gif

I don't think Paul is leaving until he finds at least a smidgen of a jumpshot. If/When that happens, he's gone.

Jonny is about to bolt though...There's no doubt in my mind....

I'm surprised Cam didn't post something about that Fat, tubby bastard Levance Fields.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

x4 I swear its the same $+%@ with every top recruit
tired.gif

Thornton, Dawkins and Hairston isn't enough?!
laugh.gif
Hell no, I'm greedy...
laugh.gif

The kid I want the most (pause) is Josh Smith...But it seems that boat has sailed.

So I just want K to steal recruits now...

You think Roscoe and Barnes are one and done?

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Originally Posted by Mr Subliminals

http://

JF: Yeah. Definitely. But, we just gotta win. I'm in college right now, that's what I'm thinking about ... I'm not thinking about [whether or not I'll declare for] the NBA, which is months from now, a decision that I will have to make months from now. When that decision comes, I'll sit down with my family, but right now that's the furthest thing from my mind.

JF: The thing about the Dome is when visiting teams come in, it's going to take about five or 10 minutes to get the awe out of them, that they're playing in the Dome ... when you get a Georgetown coming in, or a Connecticut, with 30,000 people, you can't emulate that nowhere else in the country. Thirty-thousand fans ... sometimes when you hit a big shot, it gets loud. You can't even hear yourself talking to your [teammates]. Playing in the Carrier Dome, to me, is the best basketball venue in the U.S.

Man if he stays I think Harris would stay.Our team...
eek.gif

Can't wait for Uconn and G'town games this year. There always the best
pimp.gif
grin.gif
Paul ain't nowhere near NBA ready. Flynn is gone afterthis year. We don't play UConn at the Dome this year. You can thank the expansion of the BET for that.

Paul ain't nowhere near NBA ready. Flynn is gone after this year
Basically.

I don't think Roscoe is one and done. He could be if he wanted to, but I think he's a 2 year player

[font=verdana,geneva]PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Syracuse guard Jonny Flynn and Georgetown center Greg Monroe are the winners of this week's BIG EAST men's basketball weekly honors.[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva]Flynn, who was chosen as BIG EAST Player of the Week, led the Orange to a 3-0 week, which included two wins over ranked opponents in the O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic in Kansas City, Mo. Flynn earned tournament MVP honors after directing SU to an 89-83 win over No. 17/18 Florida and an 89-81 overtime victory over No. 22/23 Kansas. Flynn scored a team-high 18 points against Florida. In the Kansas win, his 3-pointer at the end of regulation forced overtime. He finished the game with 25 points, five assists and three steals. Flynn had 15 points and six assists in a 73-70 win over Virginia.[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva]Monroe was tabbed as BIG EAST Rookie of the Week after he averaged 12.7 points and 4.3 rebounds while shooting 65.0 percent from the floor and helping the Hoyas finish third in the Old Spice Classic in Orlando, Fla. His highest scoring total was a 15-point effort in a 90-78 loss to No. 12/12 Tennessee.[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva]BIG EAST Honor Roll
Deonta Vaughn, Cincinnati, G, Jr.

Averaged 16.3 pts., 4.0 assts., 3.7 rebs. in a 2-1 week that included a 67-65 win at UNLV.
[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva]Dar Tucker, DePaul, F, So.
Averaged 24.0 pts., 8.0 rebs. in a 2-0 week.
[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva]Kyle McAlarney, Notre Dame, G, Sr.
Averaged 27.0 pts., shot 54.5 percent from 3-point range in 3-1 week. Made Maui Invitational All-Tournament Team. Had 39 pts. vs. UNC.
[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva]Sam Young, Pittsburgh, F, Sr.
Averaged 24.0 pts., 7.7 rebs., shot 50 percent from floor and from 3-point range. Named MVP of Legends Classic.
[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva]Dante Cunningham, Villanova, F, Sr.
Averaged 16.4 pts., 8.3 rebs. in 3-0 week. Named MVP of Philly Hoop Group Classic.
[/font]

not really.

Wisconsin/Va Tech ESPN2

Kent State/Kansas ESPNU

Solomon Hill to USC. No surprise.

ESPN will show 15 high school boys basketball games this year on ESPNU, ESPN and ESPN2.
Lincoln star Lance Stephenson will appear three times and Putnam City (Ok.) standout Xavier Henry, who recently committed to Memphis, will appear twice.

Click here for the schedule. It will open with a doubleheader on Thursday, Dec. 11, with Bishop McGuinness (Okla.) vs. Henry and No. 25 Putnam City (Okla.) at 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPNU, followed by Stephenson and No. 8 Lincoln (N.Y.) vs. No. 6 Duncanville (Texas) at 9:30 p.m. on ESPN.

The New Jersey trinity of St. Anthony, St. Benedict's and St. Patrick will all appear at least once. St. Anthony features uncommitted wing Dominic Cheek, who is considering Kansas, Memphis, Rutgers, Pitt and Villanova. St. Benedict's has Pitt-bound Lamar Patterson, Rice commit Tamir Jackson and Texas-bound junior Tristan Thompson. St. Patrick features North Carolina-bound guard Dexter Strickland, George Mason commit Paris Bennett and exciting junior guard Kyrie Irving.

Here are a few quick notes from the world of college hoops and recruiting…

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski checked out John Wall, the No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2009 according to Rivals, on Friday night, according to Dave Telep of Scout. N.C. State coach Sidney Lowe was also in attendance for every game of the Word of God Invitational at which Wall was named MVP. Word of God outscored its two opponents by 63 points in the event.

Wall is considering Duke, Memphis, N.C. State, Baylor, Miami, Oregon and Kansas. He previously told me he planned to visit Duke, but has not set a date.

**Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant reports that UConn coaches are optimistic that 6-10 Sudanese native Ater Majok (pictured) will be cleared by the NCAA in time for the Dec. 15 tilt against Stony Brook at the XL Center. He's currently in Australia.

"He'll be back in the states sometime next week," UConn assistant Andre LaFleur.

Majok would give UConn 13 scholarship players, meaning big man Stanley Robinson would play as a non-scholarship player.

Talk about an imposing frontline. UConn could have 7-foot-3 Hasheem Thabeet, 7-1 Charles Okwandu, 6-7 Jeff Adrien, Majok and the 6-9 Robinson by second semester.

Pitt seems to be a real player now for Cheek who is the type of player they have needed for YEARS.

Majok would give UConn 13 scholarship players, meaning big man Stanley Robinson would play as a non-scholarship player.

oh, Jim
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

followed by Stephenson and No. 8 Lincoln (N.Y.) vs. No. 6 Duncanville (Texas) at 9:30 p.m. on ESPN.
So did this game get moved from Saturday the 13th to Thursday the 11th? Duncanville's schedule shows them playing Bishop McGuinness on the11th, then Lincoln on the 13th...

I go home on like the 10th, so I'm gonna try to go catch that Lincoln game. The schedule says it's at TCU, so it's only like 15 minutes from myhouse...

Talk about an imposing frontline. UConn could have 7-foot-3 Hasheem Thabeet, 7-1 Charles Okwandu, 6-7 Jeff Adrien, Majok and the 6-9 Robinson by second semester.
Might as well red-shirt him. Uconn has more than enough depth down low. Can't forget about Gavin Edwards and Mandeldove too, both over6'9".

What in thee %%%$... how the hell is Calhoun doing this????
smh.gif

And I'm going to need John to come on down to Durham and sign that LOI

Basically.

Yea. Hell no Harris isn't ready at all. But if he thinks he COULD be drafted. I could see him going. I have heard he almost left last year.Even if it is in Europe. He wants to start making $$$ and he does have two kids to support.

Flynn, well I have a lot more faith he will stay then I did in Carmelo or anyone else. I honestly think he could stay. Especially if we make a big run thisyear.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Basically.
Yea. Hell no Harris isn't ready at all. But if he thinks he COULD be drafted. I could see him going. I have heard he almost left last year. Even if it is in Europe. He wants to start making $$$ and he does have two kids to support.

Flynn, well I have a lot more faith he will stay then I did in Carmelo or anyone else. I honestly think he could stay. Especially if we make a big run this year.

I could easily see Paul going pro whether he tries the NBA or Europe....your right. As for Flynn he is irreplaceable but for some reason I see him staying,even if Harris did leave we would have Wesley Johnson eligible and from everything I heard theres no drop off with him from Harris. Add in Joseph and this teamis looking real good for the future

Back
Top Bottom