The College Basketball Post

I'll ride with Malta (
eek.gif
@ you saying Purdue will beat Dook) and go with 7-4 in favor of the ACC.

Do y'all really think Purdue is that good? cause I have yet to buy into them as a top 10 squad.

Purdue has the toughness and home court advantage that'll put them over the top. We both take alot of 3's and are guard/wing oriented sothat'll cancel each other out.

Judging by what you guys are saying about the Big10 vs. ACC, NW is the worst team in the Big 10. I just don't want to see the Noles flail on National TV.
I have yet to see NW play yet but if they're worse than IU then that CAN'T be a good look for the Big 10. That's two anchors holdingthe conference down.

I like Wiskey, Purdue, and Minnesota as nearly sure things for the big ten.

Then UNC, FSU and Wake as sure things for the ACC.

But every other game I'd call a tossup. Illinois is a favorite, Iowa will give BC all they want, Miami is consistently overrated while OSU a bit underrated this year, we saw how "tough" maryland really is the 2nd two games of that tourney, and Penn State will more than likely lose but have a chance to win late in that game (as they usually do).
Miami won't lose at home and you honestly think Illinois will beat Clemson? We're talking about an NCAA tourney team here. TheMichigan/UMD game I gotta go back on what I said and say it's a toss up. Playing in College Park which is a rowdy place might give the Terps the edgethough. And Tech still has enough talent at home to fight back the challenge from PSU. And Suton is out for MSU so they lose that toughness down low to bangwith Hansbroad, Deon and Davis.

I'm sorry to all my Big 10 fans but regardless of whether you win it this year, the ACC-Big 10 challenge should be scrapped and pit the ACC up against theBig East. Take the top 12 teams from the past year in the Big East and put them up against the ACC.

Miami won't lose at home and you honestly think Illinois will beat Clemson?
I don't buy Miami... ever.
laugh.gif
And Illinois is a favorite by Vegas.. 2 points i believe.. I don't know if that's more a jab atClemson or more a praise of the Illini, but they seem to feel the same way that I do... That Clemson isn't good enough to go into a place like Illinios andget a road victory, even if Illinois is down.
I'm sorry to all my Big 10 fans but regardless of whether you win it this year, the ACC-Big 10 challenge should be scrapped and pit the ACC up against the Big East. Take the top 12 teams from the past year in the Big East and put them up against the ACC.
I agree- the big ten has fallen off a lot on the whole as a conference, especially the last 5 years. I'm not really a fan of the conferencethough, so you're not really talking to me. Personally, i find big ten basketball a little mind-numbing at times. Not one team wants to push the ball...like.... ever.
laugh.gif
There's something to be said for that style ofbasketball, but 9 straight weeks of it can be a bit draining.

I like these conference challenges, but this one has just gotten stale considering the big ten will probably never win it.

Purdue can certainly beat Duke.
Personally, i find big ten basketball a little mind-numbing at times. Not one team wants to push the ball... like.... ever.
That's just the Big Ten in general, football included. It's gross.

Big ten MUST go 3-2 tomorrow to get up 4-2.. they're favored in 3 games... Then they just gotta steal 2 on Wednesday (where they're probably dogs inevery game) to win it
laugh.gif
If they don't get 3 tomorrow, they have no chance.

Originally Posted by USABasketball08

am i the only one not buying into MSU?
after Maryland's weekend..

there certainly have to be doubts now..with or without foul trouble. I still like the team quite a bit tho

Villanova big man Casiem Drummond is transferring.

Why rankings are pointless...

I have an update George Geise.
You remember George, right?

He's the guy from the Great Falls Tribune in Montana who ranked Memphis, USC and Seton Hall last week but failed to rank Xavier, which won thePuerto Rico Tip-off that Memphis, USC and Seton Hall each played in. That was a glaring mistake. So I called him on it, and this week George vaulted Xavier all the way up to No.16 even though the Musketeers didn't really do anything over the past seven days, and he dropped Seton Hall and USC out of his rankings even though thePirates and Trojans didn't lose over the past seven days.

In other words, George is a week behind everybody else.

But he's trying his best.

So good for him.

Anyway, now we have a new problem.

It involves Syracuse.

As you might know, the Orange beat Florida and Kansas last week, which is why I have Syracuse ranked 12th in the Top 25 (and one). But our pal George has a history of not letting games affect the way he votes,which is (presumably) why he ranked Florida 17th, Kansas 21st and omitted the undefeated team with wins over both those schools (i.e., Syracuse). Furthermore,he still has Louisville ranked fifth (despite a loss to WKU), Michigan State ranked seventh (despite a fifth-place finish in the Old Spice Classic) andMarquette ranked 14th despite a loss to Dayton.

By the way, Dayton is undefeated with a double-digit win over that Marquette team George ranked 14th.

So where does George have Dayton ranked?

Naturally, he didn't rank the Flyers at all.

My God.

Coaches poll: Try to follow me, if you can. Baylor beat Arizona State and then lost to Wake Forest on a neutral court in Anaheim.That's a good weekend, splitting against a pair of Top 25 teams. But the coaches watched (or didn't watch) all this and filed their ballots and rankedthe first-place team (Wake Forest), second-place team (Baylor) and third-place team (Arizona State) in the 76 Classic as follows:
  • 17. Wake Forest
  • 19. Arizona State
  • Others receiving votes: Baylor
In other words, the coaches didn't care that Baylor and ASU -- a pair of one-loss teams -- played on a neutral court, and that Baylor won that game87-78. That's bananas. But on the other hand, I'm told Oklahoma football fans believe this makes perfect sense.

MEMPHIS SHUFFLE

Willie Kemp didn't last long as Memphis' starting point guard. Antonio Anderson's turn out in Puerto Rico was short-lived as well.

Now long and talented 6-foot-6 ½ freshman Wesley Witherspoon will get a crack at the unenviable task of trying to fill the void left when Derrick Rose departedto the NBA.

``It's definitely going to take some time, but he'll be alright," said Anderson, who has moved back to his role playing off the ball after a shortthree-game stint. ``It's going to be a little different for him because we're not going to ask him to score the ball."

That'll be up to the other guys - primarily Anderson, fellow senior Robert Dozier, big man Shawn Taggert, freshman Tyreke Evans and the team's topperimeter threat, Doneal Mack.

Evans has struggled thus far with consistency and his perimeter shot. Anderson's defense is that it takes time to learn the dribble-drive offense andpeople overlook the fact that Evans missed about 10 days in the preseason with an injury.

``He's going to be alright," Anderson said. "I just tell him to keep attacking. He's learning."

Anderson will return to the role that saw him explode against UMass a couple of weeks ago in which he'll focus more on scoring - rather than trying tofocus on running the team.

``Coach (John Calipari) wanted me to play the point in Puerto Rico and I had to step back," Anderson said. "Now I'm back playing off the ball andit's a lot easier for me. That's how I play. I've never really played the point. It was a great learning experience, but I'm more comfortablenow."

Anderson will certainly take some of the pressure off Witherspoon, but it'll be interesting to see if the Tigers can patch together a point guard situationthat will allow them to go deep into the postseason. Anderson is on the money about Evans - he's a prolific scorer and a more adept perimeter shooter thanhe's displayed thus far.

But the key is whether someone can step up and run the show. For now, it's Witherspoon's turn.

NO SHOCKER FOR WICHITA STATE

There were many who questioned Gregg Marshall's decision to leave Winthrop for Wichita State.

``They were wrong," said the always blunt Marshall. ``I wouldn't have come here if I thought we couldn't win consistently."

Marshall loves the support in Wichita - both from the administration and also from the fans. He's got a lengthy, seven-year contract that pays him well,the Shockers have terrific facilities - and the fans pack the stands.

``People don't know all the facts," he said after beating Siena and playing Michigan State tough.

Wichita State has 10 players on his roster that are in the first year of the program and just one player is left from the Mark Turgeon Era and he didn'teven play for Turgeon.

So he realizes it may be premature to call the Shockers contenders in the Missouri Valley just yet.

``I don't want to set myself of the team up for failure," he said.

SUTON UNCERTAIN FOR WEDNESDAY

Michigan State senior big man Goran Suton didn't sound overly optimistic about playing Wednesday against North Carolina at Ford Field.

``I'd love to play, but I don't know yet," said Suton, the Spartans starting center.

Suton suffered a knee injury against IPFW and sat out the entire tournament down in Orlando.

``Every day it's getting a little better, but I'm not sure," Suton said.

RANDOM NOTES: How about the fact that Tennessee punished Gonzaga on the glass the other night and still lost. The Vols won the battle of theboards, 50-26, and actually had more offensive boards (27) than the 'Zags total rebounds. … Gonzaga's Austin Daye said he's 100 percent andwouldn't be wearing a knee brace except the medical staff wants him to use it for the time being. … Washington State's Clay Thompson is going to be afirst-team all-league player in the Pac-10 - sooner rather than later. He's long, skilled and tougher than he looks. He had trouble with Pittsburgh'sJermaine Dixon draped all over him the other night, but Dixon is a big-time defender. … It's still hard to comprehend that Sam Young is still in collegewhile the guy who backed him up a few years ago at Hargrave Military Academy (Va.) and barely played, Joe Alexander, is a rookie with the Bucks. … UAB'sRobert Vaden said he's down to 205 pounds. He weighed 235 while he was sitting out after transferring from Indiana a couple years ago. Vaden needs to bemore aggressive taking the ball to the basket rather than relying so heavily on the 3-pointer. ``I'm trying not to," Vaden said. "But the coacheswant me to shoot it anytime I've got space. I know I've been forcing it a little lately." … Marshall coach Donnie Jones is hoping guard Chris Lutz(hamstring) can return for Saturday's game at Boston University.

Jay Bilas' insider article today really bugged me for some reason... he was so whiney in it about everything. Sounds like he didn't handle the flightback from hawaii too well or else somebody pissed in his cheerios. I usually kinda like Bilas, but he just came off as obnoxious with some of the stuff he wassaying. Anyone else get that vibe?

Seth Davis

Feeling a little sophomoric? You've come to the right place.

That's right, Hoop Thinkers, it's time to unveil the results of my annual search for this season's breakout sophomores. I have been conductingthis little exercise for several years now in deference to the conventional wisdom that a basketball player usually makes the biggest improvement of his lifebetween his freshman and sophomore years of college.

The reasons are threefold. First, many freshmen come to college without having ever participated in a real strength and conditioning program. After a fullyear, their bodies usually undergo drastic change. Second, it often takes at least a full season for a player to get accustomed to the speed of the collegegame and the size of the opposing players. Finally, many times freshmen find their minutes are limited because a senior plays their position. Once the seniorleaves, they seize the opportunity to break out.

It was especially difficult picking out 10 players this year because so many freshmen left school last spring to go to the NBA. In fact, 12 of the top 16players in the class of 2007 left school after just one year. What's more, I again eliminated a slew of players who had dominant seasons as freshmen andare therefore too obvious to be featured here. They are: Nick Calathes, Florida; Jonny Flynn, Syracuse; BlakeGriffin, Oklahoma; James Harden, Arizona State; Robbie Hummel and E'Twaun Moore, Purdue; andPatrick Patterson, Kentucky.

Keep in mind that the list that follows is not what I would call the 10 best sophomores in America. They are simply 10 guys who started off a little slowlybut who, despite their relative youth, are now ready to step to the head of the class. Remember where you heard about 'em first.

(Incidentally, I have also revisited the list of 10 players I chose last year to see how prescient I was. I gotta say, the picks held up pretty well.)

Cole Aldrich, 6-11 center, Kansas

Fr: 8.3 mpg, 2.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg
Soph: 27.6 mpg, 15.8 ppg, 9.4 rpg

Skinny: This is a perfect example of the type of player this exercise should spotlight. Aldrich's numbers were paltry last yearprimarily because he was playing behind Darrell Arthur, Sasha Kaun and Darnell Jackson. Almost anywhereelse, this former McDonald's All-American would have been the featured post man. When he did get in games, Aldrich often looked tentative. He showed hispotential when he had eight points and four blocks in the Jayhawks' win over North Carolina at the Final Four. Now, Aldrich is strong, confident andplaying like he knows he's the man.

Austin Daye, 6-10 forward, Gonzaga

Fr: 18.5 mpg, 10.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg
Soph: 24.8 mpg, 14.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg

Skinny: At 190 pounds, Daye still looks like he needs to run around in the shower to get wet. And you probably won't see a huge jump inhis numbers because the Zags are so well-balanced on offense. But as good as the other players are, Daye is the one guy on this team who possesses NBAlottery-type talent. (Not saying that will happen this year. Not saying it won't, either.) He certainly has the full offensive arsenal: three-point range,the requisite athleticism to finish around the rim and excellent passing ability in traffic. Daye might not end up as Gonzaga's leading scorer, but as theseason wears on, I expect this team will look to him to take big shots when the Zags need it most.

LaceDarius Dunn, 6-4 guard, Baylor

Fr: 22.0 mpg, 13.6 ppg, 0.9 steals
Soph: 28.3 mpg, 17.1 ppg, 2.0 steals

Skinny: I don't know that Dunn will be a demonstrably different player than he was last season, but with the Bears on the ascent Iexpect he'll get a lot more notoriety. You won't find a stroke much purer than Dunn's. He hung 38 points on Texas Tech as a freshman and scored 27in last week's big win over Arizona State. Like a lot of freshmen, Dunn looked lost (or more accurately, uninterested) on defense last season, but Baylorcoach Scott Drew loves the spark he provides off the bench. After starting Dunn for the first three games this season, Drew moved him back tohis role as a reserve. Yet, Dunn remains Baylor's leading scorer and you can be sure he'll be on the court at the end of close games.

Gary Johnson, 6-7 forward, Texas

Fr: 16.7 mpg, 5.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 56.9 FT%
Soph: 23.7 mpg, 10.8 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 78.9 FT%

Skinny: During the summer before Johnson's freshman year, he was diagnosed with a heart ailment, and he wasn't cleared to playuntil January. Then suffered a broken nose and later injured his ankle in the Big 12 tournament. Besides that, it was smooth sailing. Now, Johnson is finallyhealthy and has a full summer of conditioning behind him, he is demonstrating that he has the strength and skills to be an elite post player in the Big 12.Note especially the way his free-throw percentage has spiked; that's the sign of a player who has worked hard to get better. Coach RickBarnes prefers to bring Johnson off the bench to spell his starting center Dexter Pittman, but Johnson is the team'ssecond-leading rebounder and third-leading scorer.

Kalin Lucas, 6-foot, G, Michigan State

Fr: 25.1 mpg, 10.3 ppg, 3.8 apg
Soph: 31.2 mpg, 11.6 ppg, 6.2 apg

Skinny: I realize the Spartans are off to a shaky start, and Lucas's numbers are not hugely different than they were last season. Butjust watch. Clearly, Lucas and the rest of this team will have to adjust to losing Drew Neitzel, who was the focal point of the offense thelast two years. And it doesn't help that Spartans starting center Goran Suton is out with a knee injury. Lucas, however, still has morethan five times as many assists as he does turnovers, and as he grows more comfortable running the offense full time, I expect his shot selection will improve,thereby elevating his shooting percentages. (Through five games, he is shooting 38 percent from the floor and 20 percent from three). The bottom line is Lucasis better able to get easy baskets both for himself and his teammates than Neitzel was. That will eventually lift Michigan State to the Big Ten title.

Nolan Smith, 6-2 guard, Duke

Fr: 14.7 mpg, 5.9 ppg, 1.3 apg, 0.5 steals
Soph: 22.6 mpg, 12.4 ppg, 2.1 apg, 1.4 steals

Skinny: Players usually make this list because a senior who was starting in front of them graduated. This is an unusual case of a sophomoreactually taking away the starting spot from an incumbent senior. Smith was able to supplant Greg Paulus in Duke's starting lineup largelybecause of his superior ability to pressure the ball. Though he isn't as adept as Paulus at running the half-court offense (through the Blue Devils'first seven games, he had just 15 assists to go with 15 turnovers), Smith is enough of an offensive threat that defenses can't leave him alone. If he'sable to take that next step as a floor general, Duke will be truly dangerous.

Corey Stokes, 6-5 guard, Villanova

Fr: 18.3 mpg, 6.4 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 29.6 3FG%
Soph: 27.5 mpg, 11.2 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 44.1 3FG%

Skinny: I watched Stokes play several times when he was in high school, and I was quite surprised his three-point shooting percentage wasso poor last season. You can chalk that up to freshman-itis. Stokes had a hard time adjusting to the intensity and speed of the college game, but when thingsstarted to click for him toward the end of last season the Wildcats took off. Stokes averaged 12 points over Villanova's last 12 games, he won a startingspot in the Big East tournament and he scored 20 in the Wildcats' NCAA second-round win over Siena. As you can see, Stokes has kept up his hot shootingthis year. If he keeps progressing he will be a big-time scorer in a big-time league.

Jeff Teague, 6-2 guard, Wake Forest

Fr: 29.7 mpg, 13.9 ppg, 2.5 apg, 43.4 FG%, 39.5 3FG%
Soph: 28.6 mpg, 22.4 ppg, 4.4 apg, 49.4 FG%, 57.1 3FG%

Skinny: I'm guessing even Wake coach Dino Gaudio is amazed at how much Teague has improved upon what was already apretty impressive freshman season. Teague earned his way into the starting lineup last season primarily on the basis of his outside shooting. He has become amore complete player, yet he has still drastically increased his shooting percentages. Teague already has nearly half the number of assists he totaled all oflast year. During Sunday night's big win over Baylor, Teague had an off night shooting (1-for-10 from the floor), so he put the ball on the deck andrepeatedly drove to the rim, which resulted in 14 free-throw attempts (he made 12). It certainly helps that Wake Forest has a much stronger inside game than ithad last year, but don't discount the importance of his increased maturity and confidence. That's what is supposed to happen to a kid when he goes awayto college.

Chris Wright, 6-1 guard, Georgetown

Fr: 17.3 mpg, 5.7 ppg, 2.1 apg, 1.36-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio
Soph: 35.0 mpg, 12.3 ppg, 4.5 apg, 2.57-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio

Skinny: A former McDonald's All-American, Wright would have been more of a factor last season if he hadn't missed 16 games becauseof severely sprained ankle. Even so, he would have been a backup to Jonathan Wallace, the former walk-on turned three-year starter for theHoyas. Now, with Wallace gone and Wright healthy, the youngster has the stage to himself. He needs to improve his long-range shooting (he's making just29.4 percent from three), and it will be a while before he orchestrates Georgetown's Princeton-style offense with the same efficiency Wallace did. ButWright, who scored 18 points in last week's loss to Tennessee, has much more talent than Wallace, and by this time next year he could be the best pointguard in the Big East.

Chris Wright, 6-8 forward, Dayton

Fr: 20.6 mpg, 10.4 ppg, 5.7 rpg
Soph: 28.2 mpg, 13.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg

Skinny: Yes, there's room in this column for two Chris Wrights. This version was one of the most heralded recruits in Dayton history,and it appeared he would live up to that hype when he had 22 points and 13 rebounds in a season-opening win over East Tennessee State. Alas, Wright broke hisankle in December and missed the last two months of the season. Wright is a strong, powerful, athletic player who can really score around the goal and is agreat finisher on the break. If he figures out how to extend his shooting range (he was 3-for-11 from three in the Flyers' first six games), he'll be apro for sure.

laugh.gif

didn't see it..but Bilas is cranky as Raft would say, and it's becoming more and more often.

hopefully he doesn't turn into our generations Billy Packer as he gets older.

December 2, 2008
[h1]SCOUTING REPORT: Duke vs. Purdue[/h1]
Brian McLawhorn
Devils Illustrated Publisher

Talk about it in Devil Insider
Duke (7-0) vs. Purdue (5-1)
When: 9:00 P.M. ET
Where: Mackey Arena, West Lafayette, Ind.
TV: ESPN
Radio: Duke Radio Network

Series: Duke trails 4-1.
Last Meeting: Nov. 29, 2003, Duke 68, Purdue 78.

Purdue Head Coach

Matt Painter is in his fourth year as head coach of Purdue and his fifth overall. During his time in West Lafayette, Painter has become one of the hottest coaches in the game, posting back-to-back 20+ game win seasons after winning just nine games in his first season at Purdue. Throughout his time at Purdue, Painter has registered 61-41 record.

Prior to taking over the post at Purdue, Painter served as associate head coach for the Boilermakers for one season. Before taking on that position, Painter was head coach at Southern Illinois, where his team recorded a 25-5 record. Overall as a head coach, Painter is 86-46.

Probable Starters

G - Chris Kramer - 6-3, 207 - (4.8 pts., 2.7 apg.)
G - E'Twaun Moore - 6-4, 188 - (16.7 pts., 5.3 reb., 4.0 apg.)
G - Keaton Grant - 6-4, 208 - (8.5 pts., 3.0 reb.)
F - Robbie Hummel - 6-8, 212 - (14.2 pts., 6.2 reb.)
F - Jajuan Johnson - 6-10, 215 - (9.8 pts., 3.2 reb.)

Top Reserves

F - Nemanja Calasan - 6-9, 247 - (10.7 pts., 4.8 reb.)
G - Marcus Green - 6-6, 222 - (6.7 pts., 5.0 reb.)
G - Lewis Jackson - 5-9, 165 - (4.3 pts., 3.3 apg.)
G - Ryne Smith - 6-3, 173 - (1.3 pts., 0.8 reb.)

[table][tr][td]
ROBBIEHUMMEL250_0211.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Robbie Hummel[/td] [/tr][/table]All Eyes On ...

Robbie Hummel - The 6-foot-8 sophomore is to Purdue what Kyle Singler is to Duke. Simply put, he is a do-everything type of player and in most cases would create major mismatch problems for opponents. He can beat his opponents in multiple ways, and does a great job taking care of the basketball. Mistakes from this talented second-year player are few and far between, which makes him even that much more dangerous. For the season Hummel has connected on 45 percent of his three-point attempts, while making 50 percent of his overall field goal tries. From the free-throw line, Hummel is lights out, as he has converted all 17 of his tries this season. Much like Singler, Hummel is not a one-dimensional player. He rebounds well (6.2 per game), can distribute the ball fairly well and is an above average defender. Add all of that up, and Purdue has the Big Ten Conference preseason Player of the Year.

Scouting the Boilermakers

E'Twaun Moore - Yet another talented sophomore, E'Twaun Moore has been huge for Purdue early in the season. He enters tonight's contest averaging 16.7 points, 5.3 rebounds and four assists per game from his guard position. Moore is a threat to drive to the basket and shoot from long-range, making him one of the more difficult players to defend. He's not a great long-range shooter, but he has the ability to be a legitimate weapon if he finds his rhythm. So far this season he is connecting on 37 percent of his three-point attempts and 49 percent overall. He is a pretty solid defender and has been known to cause fits for his opponent, whether it be from his ability to block shots or anticipate well and get the steal.

Jajuan Johnson - Purdue's big man in the middle isn't the most physical player in the world, but he's athletic and very active. In 20 minutes of action, Johnson has proven to be very efficient, as he averages 9.8 points and 3.2 rebounds each night out. He looks for high percentage shots and more often than not he knocks them down, and if he doesn't make the shot, he's very good about drawing fouls. Once on the line, he's connecting on 72 percent of his attempts, making him a legitimate offensive weapon for the Boilermakers. Having said that, his biggest impact can come on the defensive end of the floor. He leads the team with 1.8 blocks per game, but will likely see that number increase the more he learns and grows comfortable in his role. He generally does a good job staying out of foul trouble, which shows he's plays under control.

Keaton Grant - Grant, a junior, usually doesn't put huge numbers on the board, but what he does bring to the table is a load of intangibles. He is a hardworking guard that will do whatever he can to help his team. He loves the long-range shot, however, he hasn't faired too well in that area this season, as he's made just 36 percent (12-of-33) from behind the arc. Despite his struggles on offense, he has still managed to average 8.5 point per game, giving Purdue a lift when they need it. He does a pretty good job defending the ball, and rebounds fairly well from his guard position.

[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
ETWAUNMOORE250_0415A.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E'Twaun Moore[/td] [/tr][/table]Chris Kramer - The junior guard likely won't give Purdue much in the way of points, but what he will do is provide the Boilermakers with nearly 29 minutes of full effort on both ends of the floor. He does a good job of protecting the ball and avoiding mistakes. He's not a player that will rack up huge numbers in any statistical category, but his presence will be felt in nearly every aspect because of how hard he works and plays. He is not much of a threat to shoot from long-range, but he will drive to the basket and look to get fouled at any opportunity. Defensively, he's one of Purdue's best. He does a great job of putting pressure on the ballhandler and has a knack for creating turnovers. He leads the team in steals with 12 for the season, and will look to increase on that number tonight against Duke.

The Bench

Head coach Matt Painter has the luxury of going four deep into his bench and he will look to each of those players for double-digit minutes against Duke. His most productive reserve is Nemanja Calasan, Purdue's lone big man off the bench. He is third on the team in scoring, and boasts the team's highest field goal percentage at nearly 56 percent. Another solid contributor off the bench is 6-foot-6 guard Marcus Green. He averages 6.7 points per game, but is third on the team in rebounds with five per contest. He gives Purdue another athletic wing to put on the floor that has the ability to create mismatches. Lewis Jackson, a shifty point guard, has also given the Boilermakers some very strong minutes of play over the course of the season. He is second on the team in assists with 3.3 per game and is a good defender, as he ranks second on the team with seven steals. Rhyne Smith will also get some spot minutes in order to preserve Purdue's preferred pace.

Analysis and Prediction

Duke is a perfect 9-0 all-time in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge and this season they may be faced with their biggest test yet. If there has ever been a team that mirrors the Duke Blue Devils, the Purdue Boilermakers could certainly be that squad. Much like Duke, the Boilermakers are a guard heavy team with limited size in the post. Its top player is an athletic big man that can take you inside or out, and is a strong defender on both the perimeter and in the post. They have scrappy guards willing to put it all on the line for a lose ball or a rebound. They simply play the game hard, and don't take anything for granted on the floor.

In fact, these teams are so similar in makeup, this game could ultimately play out like a heavy weight fight between two of the best in the business.

Blue Devil head coach Mike Krzyzewski said last week that Purdue was a team he felt would be in to the end this season. And with the personnel and depth they bring to the court, they certainly could be a team that goes deep into the NCAA Tournament.

The matchup between Robbie Hummel and Kyle Singler could be one for the ages, as both players are so similar it's almost scary. Both have the ability to take over a game on both ends of the floor, and with the two likely matching up head-to-head, tonight's contest should be a fun ride all the way to the end.

Singler has a bit of an advantage in terms of strength, so the question will be whether or not Hummel will look to take him off the dribble or attempt to post him up on occasion. Assuming Singler does in fact defend Hummel, he will likely be faced with both aspects of Hummel's game on a consistent basis, but in the end, Singler should get the better of the battle - maybe not in an overwhelming manner, but enough to make the difference.

While the matchup between the two stars is certainly intriguing, the battle between guards will also be fun to watch. Duke boasts a load of guards that can contribute and in many cases lead the way for Duke, but so too does Purdue. Having said that, the Blue Devils appear to have a slight edge at the guard position with the likes of Jon Scheyer, Gerald Henderson, Nolan Smith, Greg Paulus and the freshman Elliot Williams all capable of putting up big numbers.

From a consistency standpoint, Purdue may have the advantage in the post - albeit not a drastic one. Nemanja Calasan could be the difference for Purdue in the post, as he presents a big, strong body that could create problems for a lighter Lance Thomas or a slower, less mobile Brian Zoubek.

With that in mind, however, Thomas and Zoubek have both been good contributors all season long, and after a performance such as the one Thomas put together last week against Duquesne, a Duke advantage in this department isn't hard to fathom.

In the end, this game will likely be an up and down type of contest with a lot of points being scored. The team that can go full speed for 40 minutes will come out the winner in this contest, and with all things considered it should be a game that goes down to the very end.

Though it's tough to pick against Purdue, particularly with them coming off a loss and playing at home, our belief is that Duke enters the game ready to make a statement and pulls off the big non-conference road victory.

The score ...

DUKE 84 - PURDUE 80
Disagree? Agree ?

Nolan Smith, 6-2 guard, Duke

Fr: 14.7 mpg, 5.9 ppg, 1.3 apg, 0.5 steals
Soph: 22.6 mpg, 12.4 ppg, 2.1 apg, 1.4 steals

Skinny: Players usually make this list because a senior who was starting in front of them graduated. This is an unusual case of a sophomore actually taking away the starting spot from an incumbent senior. Smith was able to supplant Greg Paulus in Duke's starting lineup largely because of his superior ability to pressure the ball. Though he isn't as adept as Paulus at running the half-court offense (through the Blue Devils' first seven games, he had just 15 assists to go with 15 turnovers), Smith is enough of an offensive threat that defenses can't leave him alone. If he's able to take that next step as a floor general, Duke will be truly dangerous.

Corey Stokes, 6-5 guard, Villanova

Fr: 18.3 mpg, 6.4 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 29.6 3FG%
Soph: 27.5 mpg, 11.2 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 44.1 3FG%

Skinny: I watched Stokes play several times when he was in high school, and I was quite surprised his three-point shooting percentage was so poor last season. You can chalk that up to freshman-itis. Stokes had a hard time adjusting to the intensity and speed of the college game, but when things started to click for him toward the end of last season the Wildcats took off. Stokes averaged 12 points over Villanova's last 12 games, he won a starting spot in the Big East tournament and he scored 20 in the Wildcats' NCAA second-round win over Siena. As you can see, Stokes has kept up his hot shooting this year. If he keeps progressing he will be a big-time scorer in a big-time league.

Jeff Teague, 6-2 guard, Wake Forest

Fr: 29.7 mpg, 13.9 ppg, 2.5 apg, 43.4 FG%, 39.5 3FG%
Soph: 28.6 mpg, 22.4 ppg, 4.4 apg, 49.4 FG%, 57.1 3FG%

Skinny: I'm guessing even Wake coach Dino Gaudio is amazed at how much Teague has improved upon what was already a pretty impressive freshman season. Teague earned his way into the starting lineup last season primarily on the basis of his outside shooting. He has become a more complete player, yet he has still drastically increased his shooting percentages. Teague already has nearly half the number of assists he totaled all of last year. During Sunday night's big win over Baylor, Teague had an off night shooting (1-for-10 from the floor), so he put the ball on the deck and repeatedly drove to the rim, which resulted in 14 free-throw attempts (he made 12). It certainly helps that Wake Forest has a much stronger inside game than it had last year, but don't discount the importance of his increased maturity and confidence. That's what is supposed to happen to a kid when he goes away to college.

pimp.gif

Moore/Henderson is the matchup I'm most intrigued by.

Let's see if Nolan Smith can continue to play well against a guy like Kramer.

These teams match up very well overall. I give Purdue the advantage at home.

I like this Purdue squad a lot. Calasan might be the least athletic player in the country, though.
laugh.gif

I give Purdue the slight edge at home.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]Name[/td] [td]Pos[/td] [td]School[/td] [td]Ht/Wt[/td] [td]Hometown[/td] [td]Stock Value[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Greg Monroe[/td] [td]C[/td] [td]Georgetown[/td] [td]6-11/250[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]
channel_stockup.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]May already be the most valuable player on the Hoyas roster.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]Al-Farouq Aminu[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]Wake Forest[/td] [td]6-8/205[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]
channel_stockup.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]Has been as good as advertised so far.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]Kemba Walker[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Connecticut[/td] [td]6-1/172[/td] [td]Bronx, NY[/td] [td]
channel_stockeven.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]Samardo Samuels[/td] [td]C[/td] [td]Louisville[/td] [td]6-8/240[/td] [td]Trelawny, Jamaica,[/td] [td]
channel_stockeven.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]Willie Warren[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Oklahoma[/td] [td]6-4/207[/td] [td]Fort Worth, TX[/td] [td]
channel_stockup.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]Scored 22 points in a huge win over Purdue in Preseason NIT final.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]Jeffery Taylor[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]Vanderbilt[/td] [td]6-7/205[/td] [td]Norrkoping, OU[/td] [td]
channel_stockup.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]Doing a great job finishing around the basket.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]Tyreke Evans[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Memphis[/td] [td]6-5/205[/td] [td]Aston, PA[/td] [td]
channel_stockeven.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]Courtney Fortson[/td] [td]PG[/td] [td]Arkansas[/td] [td]5-11/180[/td] [td]Montgomery, AL[/td] [td]
channel_stockup.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]Shooting 53 percent from the floor.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]Jrue Holiday[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]UCLA[/td] [td]6-3/180[/td] [td]North Hollywood, CA[/td] [td]
channel_stockeven.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]Scotty Hopson[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Tennessee[/td] [td]6-7/185[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]
channel_stockdown.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]Needs to contribute more than just outside shooting.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]Michael Dunigan[/td] [td]C[/td] [td]Oregon[/td] [td]6-10/250[/td] [td]Chicago, IL[/td] [td]
channel_stockup.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]Oregon has found its big man of the future.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]Rotnei Clarke[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]Arkansas[/td] [td]6-0/184[/td] [td]Verdigris, OK[/td] [td]
channel_stockeven.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]Sylven Landesberg[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Virginia[/td] [td]6-6/205[/td] [td]Flushing, NY[/td] [td]
channel_stockeven.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]Chris Singleton[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]Florida State[/td] [td]6-9/220[/td] [td]Dunwoody, GA[/td] [td]
channel_stockeven.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]Klay Thompson[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]Wash. State[/td] [td]6-6/187[/td] [td]Rancho Santa Margarita, CA[/td] [td]
channel_stockup.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]Could give Holiday some competition for Pac-10 freshman of the year.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]16[/td] [td]JaMychal Green[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]Alabama[/td] [td]6-9/225[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]
channel_stockdown.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]Went through some growing pains at the Maui Invitational.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]Mike Rosario[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Rutgers[/td] [td]6-3/180[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]
channel_stockdown.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]His poor shooting led to an ugly loss to Lehigh.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]18[/td] [td]Trey Thompkins[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]Georgia[/td] [td]6-8/245[/td] [td]Lithonia, GA[/td] [td]
channel_stockup.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]Scored 23 points in just second college game.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]Yancy Gates[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]Cincinnati[/td] [td]6-9/255[/td] [td]Cincinnati, OH[/td] [td]
channel_stockeven.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]20[/td] [td]Afam Muojeke[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Wyoming[/td] [td]6-7/215[/td] [td]Jamaica Queens, NY[/td] [td]
channel_stockeven.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Here is the article in question......Definitely bitterness on some of these bullets
Thoughts, trends and treats from November

Some thoughts and analysis as we close out the first calendar month of the 2008-09 season: • The worst news of the year is that Notre Dame's Luke Harangody is out indefinitely with pneumonia. Harangody received a couple of IVs during the day of the Maui Invitational championship game against North Carolina, and we now know he played while seriously ill. Let's all hope that Harangody gets back to good health soon.

Ohio State played a 2-3 zone defense most of the game and held Samford to a grand total of six points in the first half Saturday, and a paltry 22 points for the game. It is still really early in this college basketball season, and probably too early to draw too many conclusions. Because many teams are young and have so many new pieces, we will get some odd results and some inconsistent performances. Another case in point is Michigan. The Wolverines beat UCLA in Madison Square Garden, then went home and trailed Savannah State by 20 at halftime before squeaking out an overtime win. Savannah State was 13-18 last season, and was blown out by Clemson in its last game. Was that the same Michigan team? No. The real Michigan team is probably somewhere in the middle of those two results.

Dayton's Chris Wright is a great athlete and had the play of the year so far. In the second half with Dayton leading 52-45, Wright ran the right lane, took a pass from Rob Lowery and jumped over Marquette's Maurice Acker for a right-handed dunk. I jumped out of my chair on it. And we should all be thankful for TiVo. There was no replay of the dunk. Instead … a commercial. Dayton has a good team, and can get better.

When you are watching teams play against zone defenses, watch how few teams really take advantage of pass fakes. With a good pass fake, you can move a zone defense without moving. What drives me crazy is when I see an offensive player fake a pass to an open man. When a man is open, pass it to him.

Creighton can really guard, both individually and as a team. The Bluejays' only problem is consistent scoring and turnovers. The Missouri Valley Conference is stocked with really good coaches and really good defenses. But the top teams (Southern Illinois and Creighton) do not score easily, and that puts a ton of pressure on their defenses. It is hard to pitch shutout after shutout.

What possible justification do we have for having over 340 Division I basketball teams? It is silly.

Kentucky got a nice win against Kansas State in Las Vegas, but the Wildcats coughed up the ball a stunning 31 times. Kentucky is doing some good things on the defensive end and the Cats play really hard, but 115 turnovers in five games is beyond ridiculous. Remember, 57 of those turnovers came against Delaware State, Longwood and VMI. Against the bigger names like North Carolina and Kansas State, Kentucky averaged 29 miscues. That is too much to overcome consistently against good teams.

Kentucky freshman guard DeAndre Liggins refused to enter the game in the second half against Kansas State. While it would be easy to harshly judge the youngster for a stupid decision, that judgment needs to be balanced against the fact that he is just a kid who reacted poorly to adversity. If Liggins were an older player, this would be a big deal, and he should be out on his backside. But as an impulsive freshman, he should face an appropriate sanction and be given the opportunity to learn from this. That being said, he has no brownie points from here on in. He needs to realize that his action was "me first" and totally unacceptable. His coaches and teammates cannot afford to be distracted by his little pity party while they are trying to win a game. Liggins needs to grow up. Fast.

Loyola's (Md.) triangle-and-two defense against Davidson, with two defenders on Stephen Curry alone, may have been a little bit wacky, but didn't lose Loyola the game. Loyola scored only 48 points and had 21 turnovers, so how the Greyhounds guarded Curry was hardly the issue. Does anyone think that guarding Curry straight up would have limited Davidson to 47 or less? Of course not. Loyola's inability to score was the issue.

The "intentional foul" rule needs to go. We should not ask officials to judge fouls based upon "purposeful" intent. During the Maui Invitational, a player grabbed an opposing player by the shorts at half-court as he was about to go for a breakaway layup. The grab was not one of excess, but it was clear. The official called a foul, but did not call it an intentional foul. According to the rule, the official screwed up. If he called a foul at all, it had to be intentional because it was "purposeful" and not a "legitimate attempt to make a play on the ball." The better way is to judge whether a foul is excessive. Who cares whether a player is fouling on purpose? Fouling can be good strategy. We know that fouls are intentional at the end of games, so why would we care if it happens at any other time? The only question in the above example: Was the shorts grab excessive?

Did you catch the "inadvertent whistle" at the end of the Oklahoma-Purdue game in the NIT final? During a loose ball with no team in possession, referee Michael Stephens reacted to Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel calling for a timeout. Stephens blew the whistle just as the ball was being fumbled out of bounds near midcourt, and awarded Capel the requested timeout even though Capel's team did not have possession of the ball. The officials got together and came up with the explanation of an "inadvertent whistle." It wasn't inadvertent. It was a decisive call and a complete screw-up. Rule 4, Section 39 states that an inadvertent whistle is when an official blows the whistle as an oversight and does not have a call to make. Stephens did not blow the whistle as an oversight, and he did make a call. It was just wrong. Instead of making a call as to which team knocked the ball out of bounds, the officials came up with the idea of an inadvertent whistle and went to the possession arrow. Games should not be decided upon an arrow.

The inadvertent whistle reminded me of something I have always wanted to see in college basketball. Timeouts should only be allowed on dead balls. If the ball is in play, the play should be completed. Timeouts could be called after a score or any other dead ball. But when the ball is in play, it should stay in play without interruption.

Did someone really refer to Duke's building on the air as "Cameron Indoor Fieldhouse"? Yikes.

UTEP's Stefon Jackson has gotten off to a slow start shooting the ball, but he can really play. On Friday, Jackson put up 31 points and nine rebounds against Wake Forest.

Pittsburgh's Sam Young is one of the nation's underrated stars, and he is having another terrific year. Young is averaging 20 points and almost six rebounds per game with 53 percent shooting from the floor. After going 13-for-17 from the field for 33 points against Belmont, Young took 25 shots against Texas Tech to score 24 points. Young has never been a selfish player and is not one now, but 25 shots is too many. If Young misses 16 shots in a game, he is not taking enough good ones.

Ohio State coach Thad Matta recently said that he wonders what John Wooden felt like going to bed at night knowing that he had Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton until they were seniors. That is a fair point. But I bet John Wooden wonders what it is like to go to bed knowing that you have a multimillion-dollar contract and 34 at-large berths to the NCAA Tournament, too. Things have changed since Wooden coached, but not all of them are bad.

Kansas sophomore Cole Aldrich is a budding star. Aldrich is averaging 16 points and 9.4 rebounds and is shooting 60 percent from the floor, and he is a mobile presence in the post. He is getting better and better, and will be All-Big 12 this year.

Marquette senior Wesley Matthews is playing the best basketball of his career, and he has been one of the most productive players in the country. Matthews is averaging over 21 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 2.4 steals while shooting 51 percent from the floor, 43 percent from 3, and 87 percent from the line (and he is getting to the line often). Matthews has played with the same lineup for his entire career, and sometimes a player can get "stuck" in a certain role. With the offseason coaching change (Buzz Williams replacing Tom Crean), Matthews seems to have broken out of that role to be more productive. But even with the game against Dayton, Marquette has yet to play the meat of its schedule. The real tests are coming up.

USC's DeMar DeRozan has gotten off to an unexpectedly slow start to his freshman year, but we should probably not be so surprised. Even though we have seen some freshmen dominate over the past few years, young players still have a learning curve and still mature at different rates. DeRozan isn't alone. Tennessee's Scotty Hopson, Ohio State's B.J. Mullens and Alabama's JaMychal Green are all really good prospects and will be very good players, but all need some time to adjust and grow. It should also underscore just how good players like Kevin Love, O.J. Mayo, Michael Beasley and Derrick Rose really were. They were special.

I have been watching a ton of tape lately, and I have been distracted by the "over the top" gyrations and gestures of the officials. When you watch a football game, the officials do not jump all around with signals and scowls on their faces, yet they seem to be able to make a call and report it without making it seem like they caught a wanted criminal. The officials need to dispassionately and unemotionally make the call, and report it to the scorer's table. The rule book displays all of the signals for the officials' calls. Nowhere does it show an official making the signal multiple times while jumping up and down with a scowl.

When a team has an eight-point lead at halftime and loses, it does not mean that it "blew an eight-point lead." There are a lot of runs in the course of a game, and an eight-point lead is nothing. Now, if a team loses an eight-point lead in the last minute, calling it a "blown" lead is appropriate.

Xavier had to win a grinder against Miami of Ohio, and do so without freshman point guard Terrell Holloway. Senior guard B.J. Raymond, who averages more turnovers than assists, took over for Holloway and did a good job against a solid Miami defense that plays you tough from the 3-point line and in. Miami is a tough out, and that was a good win for Xavier.

Kris Joseph is definitely flying under the radar in terms of freshman who will have an impact. He is going to be good.

Back
Top Bottom