The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by DMONEY23444

any update on the liggins situation? I guess all is well cuz he played alot tonight.
from what i read/heard, it's something that's been "handled" in-house so to speak.

Originally Posted by haiti5

u can see the potential in liggens but then hell throw the ball hard as hell to someone 3 feet away and create a to...
laugh.gif
no doubt the po's there...but he played virtualy the entire second half, a half in which we outscored WVU 38-17...

coincidence???

and he played well too, feeding the ball into the post. him being 6'6" is nice, being able to see/pass over the defence. he'll be straight, justgotta learn on the fly.

Liggins - and fans - should put things in perspective

LAS VEGAS - If University of Kentucky freshman DeAndre Liggins didn't know it before, he does now: When it comes to Wildcats basketball, nothing that happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

The governor could blow off work one day and it would create less of an uproar in the Bluegrass than what Liggins did in the wee hours of yesterday morning, when UK was beating Kansas State in the second half of the Las Vegas Invitational semifinals.

Wildcats coach Billy Gillispie waved him into the game, and Liggins didn't move.

But this much stayed in Vegas: all the controversy stirred up by that mysterious incident. Because when push came to shove against West Virginia in last night's tournament championship game -- and it came to shove on almost every possession -- no Wildcat pushed harder than Liggins.

The freshman point guard played the final 18 minutes of the game to help lead UK to a 54-43 victory at the Orleans Arena. And he initiated the key sequence, forcing a steal with 4½ minutes left, then hitting Pattrick Patterson with a half-court pass for a layup, foul and free throw to put UK up 46-41.

It was as ugly as you'd expect a game to be that came 20 hours after a hotly contested 74-72 win over Kansas State. UK continued to play its dentist-office offense -- every score was like pulling teeth. But the important thing was that the Wildcats came away smiling.

And none more than Liggins. He made plenty of mistakes, but he also made things happen.

No mistake he made was bigger than refusing to go into the Kansas State game. But you could almost tell by Gillispie's explanation that there was some admiration for Liggins' intensity, misplaced though it was.

Maybe Liggins was buying into the buzz that most of the Commonwealth wants him to be the starting point guard. Maybe he was frustrated at being yanked quickly when Michael Porter, a more experienced player, was left in the game following his own mistakes.

It's safe to say that whatever the cause, Liggins' biggest errors were having a me-first mentality and failing to respond to a direct order from the coach. If anything, he demonstrated why he wasn't ready to take the reins of this team.

But last night, he demonstrated why he might be. Gillispie deserves credit for not blowing the incident out of proportion -- something the rest of the state should take to heart.

Liggins might be surprised to learn of the public furor over his actions. He might be further surprised that the state's largest newspaper, this one, published an online poll asking whether he should be kicked off the team.

It's no surprise, though, that more than 1,500 had voted by game time. And Liggins shouldn't be surprised that probably half of those clamoring for him to start probably voted for him to get the boot 24 hours later.

It's ridiculous. This is still college sports. Freshmen still get to make mistakes.

Somebody asked U of L coach Rick Pitino what he'd do if he had a player refuse to play, and he said, "I'd immediately throw him off the team." He also noted that he might be more lenient on other issues, but if a player refused to play, "He would be immediately terminated."

I defended Pitino when he was giving Derrick Caracter his dozen chances for transgressions that weren't in the heat of the moment. And I think Gillispie handled things the right way yesterday.

UK still brings some issues back from Las Vegas. But when a disgusted Bob Huggins slammed his hand down on the scorer's table with the issue settled, you could tell the Wildcats had found something, too.

this is the best part of that article:

Somebody asked U of L coach Rick Pitino what he'd do if he had a player refuse to play, and he said, "I'd immediately throw him off the team." He also noted that he might be more lenient on other issues, but if a player refused to play, "He would be immediately terminated."
Pitino's so full of *@%%.
laugh.gif

no doubt the po's there...but he played virtualy the entire second half, a half in which we outscored WVU 38-17...
oh yea i totally agree. i think its gillespies job now to bring him under his wing. bcuz the kid feeds off of emotion..he needs to stay positiveat all times to do well and be confident in runnin the show.and thats gillespies job to say im not gonna yank you after a mistake, i fully trust in you to leadthe team.

I can't even be mad. That was like a home game for them...their fans represented well and they just built momentum as the game went along. Whenever a guy just completely spazzes like that...nothing you can really do. Although I do think JT should have subbed Clark in for Omar to make those threes a little harder. Would have been more difficult to get those shots over a 6'7 wingspan. Monroe is THE guy on the team...as he goes...they go. The coaching staff is going to have to figure out how to free him up because he's been completely neutralized the past couple games in second halves. Both WSU and Tenn put the clamps down on him in the second half by crowding him in the paint and making it harder to get the ball to him, and no adjustment was made. I still don't see that ONE guy who says "OK...I'm the man and I'm going to take over" for this team. It should be Dajuan and he has looked the first round draft pick he can be AT TIMES...but I have yet to see it from him for a full 40.
Pretty much.

just was tough one to take cause we were the better team out there. Tatum just went nuts. Blowing a lead (even if it was just
glasses.gif
in the 2nd half again, worriesme though. Chris and greg give the opportunity to be better at the right time this year, as compared to last year. Interior defense, tho...Roy is missed.Before we could just funnel everything into a 7'2 guy.

Just like last year tho...the 5 lazy passes and bad rebounding each game have to stop

As far as Siena goes...Incredibly disappointing. But they started slow last year...so...
nerd.gif

They are ALLLLL match ups...a team like Memphis (last year), Tennessee...will run them off the court, cause they're stubborn and wana press and trap allgame, can't do that against teams that have no problem doing it themselves. Still, I wouldn't wana face them as a 5 seed in March.

- West Va fan base always claims other teams to be full of 'thugs'. Do they realize the team they have? Dasean Butler is a joke and Pat Pattersonshoulda clocked him.

- Syracuse was very impressive pulling off those two wins. Jonny
pimp.gif

- If I have a big, traveling fan base...I'm scheduling an early season tourny every year.

- Kyle McAlareny is ND's best player.

- Pitt is really, really good. Ditto obviously to UNC and Uconn. I think they are the top 3. (not in that order)

I hope Gonzaga kills Tennessee tonight.

Damn anybody watching the IU-Cornell game? Some big *%% dude from Cornell just set a MEAN screen at mid court on one of IU's guard and straight ERASEDdude. Homie went to sleep...and now they bringing the stretcher out. He was barely moving on the floor.

He's handling business, Gunna...

20 and 5 with 2+ steals a game, shooting 50% from the field and 46% from deep...

I thought Courtney Lee graduated?

Smh at Louisville. I still think by March they'll be a Final Four candidate though.

laugh.gif
i was looking for the post some douche made on here about how Louisville was so good this year.. i can't find it though, but it seriously needs bumpedlike NOW.

By the way - welcome back allen... has been slow around here without you in this thread for the last week or so.

Still not sure if Oklahoma State is together enough to do anything this year.. they'll be fun to watch though.

Excited to check out this Baylor/Wake Forest game - two programs on the rise right now, both undefeated to this point.

And of course... Zags/Vols in a bit will be fun. I expect quite a few highlights and a lot of points.

I really like what I saw from Okie State.

Terrell Harris looked completely transformed against the Zags...I mean, NBA good at times, which may have just been a fluke. They'll compete in the Big XIItho.

Have to wonder why baylor got little pub and not a top 25 team prior to the start of the year...

I feel much better about this weekend after today....and Wichita State beating Siena and playing MSU tough.

I missed the MSU/UMD game that night...what the hell happened? Cause Maryland sucks.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

I know Jay Williams didn't say "president select."
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Patty Mills with 20 in what looks like a win over Providence for St. Mary's..
pimp.gif
Another season that's going to be miserable for Providence. They could make the tournament with the guys they have, but never play together.

G'Town dominated Maryland. That +#!% wasn't close. Chris Wright played great at the point. Greg Monroe>>>>>BJ Mullens.

Louisville continues to prove everyone right. They have a ton of talent that under performs and can't win big games.

Gonzaga game should be good. Maze and Pargo.
pimp.gif

Did anyone see the other Chris Wright last night?

I thought it was James at first, i guess it was Acker...

Back
Top Bottom