Teixeira to Yankees...

Max Kellerman just had Olney on who said the Red Sox are alread the but of joke with other GM's for trying to call Boras's bluff.

So the Yankees "overpaid" by $10 million which is actually $1.5 million a year more? Please
When the market is set by the same 3-4 teams yes you are probably going to get some people saying they overpaid.

But hey, we are at a point now in baseball where teams can offer $100 mil + contracts to their own players and they aren't even in the ballpark.

In better news these contracts also mean we just increase the numbers even more next year and so on, can't wait for the 25 MLB teams who can't evenoffer $160 mil to their superstars without getting the door slammed on them.

The Yankees now have the 4 highest-paid players in baseball.

2nretc9.gif

Originally Posted by briannnnn

Originally Posted by J Steezzz

Originally Posted by briannnnn

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

By the way
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ Red Sox Nation

yall just got JACKED!
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

eyes.gif

They are STILL the better team regardless
laugh.gif
Um no they aren't, nice try though.
And I just read the Red Sox #1 message board & they're all VERY angry so yes they feel jacked and yes a big
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
to Red Sox nation

Umm yes they are
I'm in no way a Red Sox fan, but I'd rather have their team than yours
Subway Series will be extra heated this year
laugh.gif
How do you figure?
What is it that will make it EXTRA heated than it already is?
Hate is just oozing non-stop from all corners
roll.gif
Hate for what? Overpaying for a player who is not nearly worth the money your paying him?
ohwell.gif

Or maybe i'm hating on you guys paying almost 100 mil to a pitcher who could go down at any time. Pavano the sequel anyone?
laugh.gif

Or maybe i'm hating because your overpaying on another pitcher who has yet to pitch a decent postseason game.
tired.gif
tired.gif

Yes hate is just oozing outta me
eyes.gif

If you have that much money, learn to spend it wisely
grin.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

This just in, "Hank Steinbrenner Files for Chapter 11." More at 10.
This just in..... the New York Yankees have ENDLESS money, literally.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

I'm drunk.
Merry Christmas everyone!
Mark Texiera FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Red Sox FTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

So the Yankees "overpaid" by $10 million which is actually $1.5 million a year more? Please
When the market is set by the same 3-4 teams yes you are probably going to get some people saying they overpaid.

But hey, we are at a point now in baseball where teams can offer $100 mil + contracts to their own players and they aren't even in the ballpark.

In better news these contracts also mean we just increase the numbers even more next year and so on, can't wait for the 25 MLB teams who can't even offer $160 mil to their superstars without getting the door slammed on them.
Teixeira is a once in a decade player. A gold glove switch hitting middle of the order hitter at the age of 28. $180 million contract isnt out ofcontext for that type of player. Not ofter to players of his caliber combined with his age come along. The Nationals and Orioles were both in on thenegotiations and right in range with the Yankees offer, that just shows you how much value he has.

This isnt your typical free agent signing and I would expect anyone to get a deal like this in the near future. The only possibilities I could think of wouldbe Joe Mauer and Grady Sizemore.

Originally Posted by JoE TwEnTy1

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

3:38pm: The contract does not include an opt-out clause, according to Danny Knobler. Knobler agrees with Olney that the Red Sox fell about $10MM short. He says the Sox are not inclined to react by "stepping up their pursuit of Derek Lowe or any other top starting pitcher."
laugh.gif
Exactly...
Where in this thread have I talked about them overpaying? They felt the market out, and topped the highest bid from the Red Sox... I haven'tfaulted the Yankees one time in this thread...

That comment is directed toward the 'Teixeira preferred the Yankees all along' crap... No he didn't... He preferred the highest bidder... He zeroedin on the Northeast so he was close to home, played the Yankees and Red Sox off each other, and went to the higher bidder...

If the Red Sox had offered $10 million more than the Yankees, you really think he'd still have chosen the Yankees?

Why get so stuck on the fact that he's overpaid.
What difference does it really make?
ZERO
and people saying NY-ers will be calling for his head.... please.... have you not seen our team lately??
The Yankees should be fine even if he just starts off doing "alright" (he AVERAGES 36 HR like 115 RBI)
1. Damon- LF
2. Jeter- SS
3. A-Rod- 3B
4. Tex- 1B
5. Matsui- DH
6. Nady- RF
7. Posada- C
8. Cano- 2B
9. Melky-CF

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

LETS GO!

Umm no Nick Swisher plays CF. Melky and Brett are back up. I forgot to mention that A -Madonna still bats fourth and Tex third, it's where they have playedthe majority of their careers. Even though A-Madonna is the faster and better hitter.
smile.gif

In better news these contracts also mean we just increase the numbers even more next year and so on, can't wait for the 25 MLB teams who can't even offer $160 mil to their superstars without getting the door slammed on them.
Teixeira is a once in a decade player. A gold glove switch hitting middle of the order hitter at the age of 28. $180 million contract isnt out of context for that type of player. Not ofter to players of his caliber combined with his age come along. The Nationals and Orioles were both in on the negotiations and right in range with the Yankees offer, that just shows you how much value he has.

This isnt your typical free agent signing and I would expect anyone to get a deal like this in the near future. The only possibilities I could think of would be Joe Mauer and Grady Sizemore.

What about David Wright or Jose Reyes, they will be 27 and 26 respectively when their contracts are up

3:58pm: Joel Sherman says the Red Soxwere at eight years, $168MM, so the Yankees outbid them by $12MM.

And the Red Sox thought Bora$ was bluffing.... should have learned from Damon situation, tsk tsk.

laugh.gif
jeez...well congrats to the yanks for winning the tex sweepstakes

im not even mad. for the following reasons:

1) mike lowell stays
2) manny doesn't go to the yanks now, hopefully

if manny signs with the yanks too, i will not watch baseball this season

I'm a lifelong Yankees fan from the Bronx and all but some of you dudes are drinking the yankees kool aid. Teix is a good player he's played in onepostseason and all along he made it clear he wanted to get paid. The only thing I heard about him liking the yankees was that mattingly was his favoriteplayer. The postseason is when it counts and most of these yankees are still unproven in october and (in 2009) november.

I'd rather have Melky in center than Swisher, honestly.

Swisher is cool, but Melky got that arm.
pimp.gif
same thing I said, but when it comes to hitting melky slacks, and swisher can contribute to that batting lineup. yanks going to be posting up 9-10runs every night

3:38pm: The contract does not include an opt-out clause, according to Danny Knobler. Knobler agrees with Olney that the Red Sox fell about $10MM short. He says the Sox are not inclined to react by "stepping up their pursuit of Derek Lowe or any other top starting pitcher."
laugh.gif
Exactly...
Where in this thread have I talked about them overpaying? They felt the market out, and topped the highest bid from the Red Sox... I haven't faulted the Yankees one time in this thread...

That comment is directed toward the 'Teixeira preferred the Yankees all along' crap... No he didn't... He preferred the highest bidder... He zeroed in on the Northeast so he was close to home, played the Yankees and Red Sox off each other, and went to the higher bidder...

If the Red Sox had offered $10 million more than the Yankees, you really think he'd still have chosen the Yankees?

Not directed towards you, just the countless amount of people saying the Yankees overpaid for what is arguably a top 5 talent in baseball.

Do you think it is worth it to the Yankees to pay him $1.5 million more a year than let him go to a division rival? He swings the balance of power in the bestdivsion in baseball to us in our mind. Say Boston did land him, the Yankees have to react and sign Manny to a 3 year deal when he is already 38. Now the RedSox cant get what would have been our consolation prize since Manny wont go there.

Teixeira is a once in a decade player. A gold glove switch hitting middle of the order hitter at the age of 28. $180 million contract isnt out of context for that type of player. Not ofter to players of his caliber combined with his age come along. The Nationals and Orioles were both in on the negotiations and right in range with the Yankees offer, that just shows you how much value he has.

This isnt your typical free agent signing and I would expect anyone to get a deal like this in the near future. The only possibilities I could think of would be Joe Mauer and Grady Sizemore.
What about David Wright or Jose Reyes, they will be 27 and 26 respectively when their contracts are up

Im talking about players that would realistically become free agents. I would assume the Mets would resign both, although if they didnt they wouldboth reach the $200+ range with Wright probably coming close to A-Rod money.

Originally Posted by NikeAirBound

I'm a lifelong Yankees fan from the Bronx and all but some of you dudes are drinking the yankees kool aid. Teix is a good player he's played in one postseason and all along he made it clear he wanted to get paid. The only thing I heard about him liking the yankees was that mattingly was his favorite player. The postseason is when it counts and most of these yankees are still unproven in october and (in 2009) november.
So...what is it you're saying?

I've been drinking. Maybe that's why I don't get our point.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GrizztheBoss

I'd rather have Melky in center than Swisher, honestly.

Swisher is cool, but Melky got that arm.
pimp.gif
same thing I said, but when it comes to hitting melky slacks, and swisher can contribute to that batting lineup. yanks going to be posting up 9-10 runs every night

No, just simply no. And by the way, the current line up with Tex (on paper) is due to score 5.9 runs per game.

Back
Top Bottom