***Official Political Discussion Thread***

He’s a very weird man, I’m not entirely sure what to make of it. He also collected a lot of memorabilia that would fit in well at a black history museum.

One the one hand he’s collecting just straight up nazi/Hitler memorabilia but then he also has statues of black civil rights leaders and various related memorabilia.

He clearly has an obsession with history and political power, that much is obvious.

What black civil rights causes does he support with his money?

His grandson is.........BLACK.

well I was talking about the content

THAT part doesn’t surprise me.. but I’m sure he is well aware of his grandfather’s views

just hope his parent also knew which side was more important to be on

The Hunter Biden saga is the most useless story in politics

gotta find something to stick.. hunter biden, transgender something, blow up the country and hope people blame biden from preventing them from doing it

being smug about abortions ain’t working.. let’s see how playing tough with Disney works out

What black civil rights causes does he support with his money?
I haven’t specifically looked into that but he’s a Republican so I would assume none.

Though I think one could argue that preserving black history through the collecting of historically important, rare and obscure black civil rights movement memorabilia is arguably some form of support (as in like a museum).

I wasn’t defending Harlan Crow if that’s what your tone is suggesting. I enjoy trying to make sense of people, but this Harlan Crow seems all over the place.

I haven’t specifically looked into that but he’s a Republican so I would assume none.

Though I think one could argue that preserving black history through the collecting of historically important, rare and obscure black civil rights movement memorabilia is arguably some form of support (as in like a museum).

I wasn’t defending Harlan Crow if that’s what your tone is suggesting. I enjoy trying to make sense of people, but this Harlan Crow seems all over the place.

May he donates to civil rights causes, I haven't heard of any either

But we know that he is a major moneyman in conservative circles, which have been outright hostile to black civil rights for decades.

I read he helped fund publicity campaigns for George W. Bush's Supreme Court picks.

One of those picks was Alito, someone that has been clearly hostile to black civil rights for decades. The other was John Roberts, whose career mission was to repeal the Voting Rights Act.

Charles Murray, a racist who peddles race science against black people, has had his research financially supported by Crow's activities, and Murray even dedicated his most racist book to Crow.

I think it is clear was time Harlan Crow is on. And bringing up his owning some historical artifacts to counterbalance just comes off just like saying "He has black friends", "He dates black women", "He hired black people."

Maybe if it comes out he funds advocacy from things that help black people, I would change my mind. But right now, at the end of the day, all things considered, it doesn't mean much.

*All of the below assumes the referenced examples or trans individuals are on hormone treatments

Is this truly a bad thing though?
I strongly believe that it is fundamentally unfair for a trans woman to compete against biological women in sports.
On the other hand, hormones have such a drastic impact that a trans man competing against biological men would still be at a drastic disadvantage. However the trans man would still hold an unfair advantage over biological women.

Simplified:
Trans man < Biological men
Trans man > Biological women
Trans woman < Biological men
Trans woman > Biological women

At around 20-21 years old, I developed a hormone condition (hypogonadotropic hypogonadism) that drastically reduced my testosterone levels. I had been going to the gym for multiple years and was noticeably muscular. Within months of the onset of the hormone condition, I gradually had to give up all my physical hobbies. All because my testosterone levels simply dipped to around 25-30% of what a normal healthy male would have.

Once I was diagnosed and started my hormone treatment, merely boosting my testosterone levels to around 50% of a healthy male has been life changing.

The point I’m making is that hormonal changes have a very drastic physical impact, which some people may underestimate.

The unfortunate reality is that a trans person’s hormonal composition creates an unfair advantage, there’s no way of getting around that. The only ‘fair’ scenarios are trans women or trans men competing against biological men but it’s still unfair, it’s just that in those cases it’s the biological men who hold the physical advantage.

To be clear, I think this is only an issue when we’re talking about competitive sports where some sort of reward is involved, not regular gym class or something.

Of course a major issue that arises from this is how does one verify potential complaints?
We all know there’s gonna be Karens complaining about non-trans players who happen to not look overtly male or female.

Typically what gets brought up is the extremely invasive inspection of genitals, which to me sounds both prone to abuse and unnecessarily invasive.
Personally I think a simple blood test checking someone’s hormonal composition would suffice for verification purposes.

I’m with you in terms of policy, the most rational approach to trans people in sports should be an above and below x blood testosterone division.

My concern is about the politics of it in this particular moment. At the moment, these “debates” about seemingly minor difference over trans athletes and protocol before giving access to hormones and surgery are actually a debate about trans people’s right to exist or to at least exist in public and because the right sees trans rights as part of a package deal with the rights of other marginalized groups. That is why the right is so hyper focused on this issue.

IMO, you can’t give a millimeter to the right because they see that as weakness. Conservatives respect strength and domination and if the “woke” left really was a violent mob bent on imposing their agenda on older white homeowners, the right would begrudgingly bend the knee.

Back
Top Bottom