***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Some random twitter troll dropped the dolezal vid in a thread. I aint recognize her at first so I can't lie...I might have watched a few seconds. I'm a little partial to the transracial cause now.

0ea911803889bbcbe0a70e3e507907c911d47a4c.gifv

well yah, you are making my point for me.
Nah, I was just funnin’ you.
simply because older generations were wrong about somethings.
doesn't mean we can predict going forward that they will be wrong about every intergenerational conflict in the future
‘Wrong’ or ‘right’ gets pretty slippery when you start talking about inter generational attitudes and approaches towards social interaction. I’m not arguing for ethical relativism here, just pointing out that it’s hard.

There are plenty of things I learned about the world that have since changed in ways I hate. But I’ve found screaming against the wind isn’t going to do anyone any good. Suits are gone from banks replaced by visible tattoos; knowledgeable retail sales associates have given way to Amazon storefronts named with random collections of letters. For me, these changes are for the worse, but society seems to prefer them and so it’s probably better for me to learn to cope.

all im saying is no need to defer to anyone about anything, use your own judgement and come to your own conclusions.
kids can be right, kids can be wrong.

There’s plenty of stupid stuff young people tell me that doesn’t launch much introspection on my part. Whenever I hear about open relationships or polyamory, I usually eye-roll. And it’s not because I don’t think it’s a real thing, just that I’ve been around long enough to see that the exceptional successes in such arrangements prove the rule of their general infeasibility. Same thing when young people start talking to me about Marxism (sorry, Rex) or, God help me, crypto.

The areas I’ve found it most instructive to listen to younger people are areas where there is a social outlook that is irreversibly and rapidly changing. These are areas where the young people are the ones crafting the new rules of social engagement and where my views are useless as my advice to wear a navy suit and burgundy cap-toed balmorals to an interview. I don’t defer to them as much as I look to their guidance in understanding a world that they are creating.

As an older parent, 43 when my son was born, I think a lot of this hits harder because my childhood was just so profoundly different than his. My brother wasn’t allowed to have pink as his favorite color, his best friend loves wearing a mermaid dress. And no one is labeling that 4 year old boy “trans”-anything. He’s just a boy that likes mermaids. And as I’ve tried to understand my own reactions to these changes, I’ve realized that a lot of the culture I learned as a kid is just simply irrelevant. And I’ve concluded that to the extent that I refuse to evolve, I will become likewise irrelevant.

And as I’ve tried to understand my own reactions to these changes, I’ve realized that a lot of the culture I learned as a kid is just simply irrelevant. And I’ve concluded that to the extent that I refuse to evolve, I will become likewise irrelevant.
This.

Nah, I was just funnin’ you.

‘Wrong’ or ‘right’ gets pretty slippery when you start talking about inter generational attitudes and approaches towards social interaction. I’m not arguing for ethical relativism here, just pointing out that it’s hard.

There are plenty of things I learned about the world that have since changed in ways I hate. But I’ve found screaming against the wind isn’t going to do anyone any good. Suits are gone from banks replaced by visible tattoos; knowledgeable retail sales associates have given way to Amazon storefronts named with random collections of letters. For me, these changes are for the worse, but society seems to prefer them and so it’s probably better for me to learn to cope.

There’s plenty of stupid stuff young people tell me that doesn’t launch much introspection on my part. Whenever I hear about open relationships or polyamory, I usually eye-roll. And it’s not because I don’t think it’s a real thing, just that I’ve been around long enough to see that the exceptional successes in such arrangements prove the rule of their general infeasibility. Same thing when young people start talking to me about Marxism (sorry, Rex) or, God help me, crypto.

The areas I’ve found it most instructive to listen to younger people are areas where there is a social outlook that is irreversibly and rapidly changing. These are areas where the young people are the ones crafting the new rules of social engagement and where my views are useless as my advice to wear a navy suit and burgundy cap-toed balmorals to an interview. I don’t defer to them as much as I look to their guidance in understanding a world that they are creating.

As an older parent, 43 when my son was born, I think a lot of this hits harder because my childhood was just so profoundly different than his. My brother wasn’t allowed to have pink as his favorite color, his best friend loves wearing a mermaid dress. And no one is labeling that 4 year old boy “trans”-anything. He’s just a boy that likes mermaids. And as I’ve tried to understand my own reactions to these changes, I’ve realized that a lot of the culture I learned as a kid is just simply irrelevant. And I’ve concluded that to the extent that I refuse to evolve, I will become likewise irrelevant.
Suits are trash

But good post lol

i just don’t understand what the big deal is, none of this is new.

Your parents favorite bands were wearing woman’s clothes in the 80’s, I was working the doors at gay pride events and drag shows at 17. It didn’t make me gay or change my gender although I did learn my teacher was gay and he told me 🤫🤫🤫🤫 :lol:

Why is it such a big deal to let people live?

I only have to wear suits like once a year so I just rent them so they won’t be out of style or fit poorly. :lol:

I think one thing most people should agree that young people and right about. Most people should stop drinking milk.

I may have missed this, what's the issue with milk? I don't drink much of it outside of with cereal or cookies or an ingredient in cooking but don't have an issue with it.

Hahaha na wear what you like. I just prefer the new normal of super casual office attire.

To my earlier point, most people do and that’s why suits aren’t coming back.

But seriously, made to measure super 120’s wool and Pima cotton shirts are the most comfortable clothing I ever wore. Wool naturally stretches and works in almost every climate, plus wrinkles and odors “fall out” with proper storage. There’s a reason that people doing multiple week hikes use wool base layers and underwear.

Also salty that I’m $4k in to a collection of shell cordovan dress shoes that it took me years to break in, will last forever, but don’t go with the new “business casual”.

Although on the upside, I can wear most of my AF1’s to work now.

I may have missed this, what's the issue with milk? I don't drink much of it outside of with cereal or cookies or an ingredient in cooking but don't have an issue with it.
A good portion of the country is lactose intolerant, those numbers are especially high when it comes to African Americans and Native Americans

Yet milk is still pushed as a healthy drink, for kids especially, and the dairy industry gets massive subsidies.

A lot of people's health would improve if they cut out the liquid milk

So it is not like I am saying ban milk, but it is pushed on way too many people. It would be much healthier for a lot of people if they didn't consume it.

A good portion of the country is lactose intolerant, those numbers are especially high when it comes to African Americans and Native Americans

Yet milk is still pushed as a healthy drink, for kids especially, and the dairy industry gets massive subsidies.

A lot of people's health would improve if they cut out the liquid milk

So it is not like I am saying ban milk, but it is pushed on way too many people. It would be much healthier for a lot of people if they didn't consume it.

Even for people who aren’t lactose intolerant like me it’s still not healthy. It does cause certain weird reactions. If we as humans were to consume any type of milk then goat milk is processed by our bodies much more efficiently.

I can’t stop drinking milk though because I use it in my morning lattes and I can drink it like water. I do know it’s not healthy tho sadly. I do buy the grass fed organic Trader Joe’s milk which is it much higher quality but I know it’s still not great for me.

Milk as a beverage is gross.

I’m not a picky eater, as evidenced by my participation in the food thread, but that’s where I draw a line in the sand.

To my earlier point, most people do and that’s why suits aren’t coming back.

But seriously, made to measure super 120’s wool and Pima cotton shirts are the most comfortable clothing I ever wore. Wool naturally stretches and works in almost every climate, plus wrinkles and odors “fall out” with proper storage. There’s a reason that people doing multiple week hikes use wool base layers and underwear.
I just hate long pants. Fairly certain I went all of 2022 wearing only shorts. It has to be in the 30s for me to wear jeans and we don't see much of that in Florida and I can just stay home those days.

I’m no judge. Just honestly believe this whole homosexual agenda is horrible for society in general. No disrespect to any members I just personally don’t agree with the movement on any level. Especially now that it’s spilling over into children’s learning. It’s an extremely confusing argument and it’s truthfully concerning to see how heavy it’s being solicited and pushed today. This is just my opinion though.
Same here. While I have no prejudice against certain movements, it does seem to be going overboard or overstepping norms that are considered as taboo.

Back
Top Bottom