***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I don't expect teenagers to provide some major insight about the world, when I taught I rolled my eyes at a lot of things teenagers old me

But I always think of the context and what might be motivating the comment

I think if a teenager isn't dating someone of the opposite sex, and they hear comments about that, they would be inclined to form an opinion that is essentially "let me be"

You objections just come off as petty and kinda dumb

Some teenager doesn't like their own personal sexuality categorized. Which seems fine to me, because of the context. Like so what.

From what @TooOlfForThisIsh said, they were not making some major commentary on society as a whole, or the use of categories as a whole

I took it as a comment on broader society, that the need to categorize things make things unnecessarily complex.

obviously a person can feel however they want to feel about how they categorize themselves.

Man, I’m sure you’re the first generation ever to come up with that take.
well yah, you are making my point for me.

simply because older generations were wrong about somethings.
doesn't mean we can predict going forward that they will be wrong about every intergenerational conflict in the future.

all im saying is no need to defer to anyone about anything, use your own judgement and come to your own conclusions.
kids can be right, kids can be wrong.

It's not being solicited or pushed to children. Stop watching Fox News. It's just more accepted in the world to be who you want to be. If you can't have a conversation with your child that some men like men and some women like women, that's on you as a parent. It's a real thing that exists, we don't have to shelter kids from learning about it. Kids understand things way better than we give them credit for. The only reason you feel icky about it now is you were taught that it was wrong as a kid.

Yeah they do push it on some kids programs. I had Blue Clues on they started talking about allies

Last edited:
I don't expect teenagers to provide some major insight about the world, when I taught I rolled my eyes at a lot of things teenagers old me

But I always think of the context and what might be motivating the comment

I think if a teenager isn't dating someone of the opposite sex, and they hear comments about that, they would be inclined to form an opinion that is essentially "let me be"

I 100% agree, I think teens especially make comments, take on identities and ultimately i really boils down to "let me be me"
it's a natural part of being a teen.

I just think some adults my age can take them a little bit too literally.
overcompensating to seem maximally accepting.

Every generation goes through this. Olds always look down on kids and say they don't know ****. Hell when I was a kid the flavor of the decade was olds telling kids that gangster rap was going to ruin the world. That was pure racism. Now homophobia and tranphobia are the flavor of the decade. That's pure bigotry. Old people always have some **** to mad about. Live your life, stop worrying about the kids. The kids are alright.

How about this, just us your own judgment to come to whatever conclusions you deem appropriate about the cultural conflicts of your era.
Don't defer to children, don't defer to adults, don't defer to history

just evaluate whatever conflicts as objectively as you can.

Yeah they do push it on some kids programs. I had Blue Clues on they started talking about allies

What exactly is the issue here? They aren't trying to convert anyone, they are just showing it exists in the world. Why in that an issue?

You sound like white people mad that black people were being forced won their throat bc of the Cosby Show and Good Times.

How about this, just us your own judgment to come to whatever conclusions you deem appropriate about the cultural conflicts of your era.
Don't defer to children, don't defer to adults, don't defer to history

just evaluate whatever conflicts as objectively as you can.
Kids handle these "conflicts" way better than the adults. The kids just accept it and keep moving, they don't stomp their feet and demand other people live like they want them to.

Kids handle these "conflicts" way better than the adults. The kids just accept it and keep moving, they don't stomp their feet and demand other people live like they want them to.

Yah I don't agree. Kids are humans, with human frailties.
they aren't oracles of the future.

yes children can be more open to experience but it doesn't mean they will be right about every new phenomenon.
sometimes new phenomenon are bad.

children love social media and it seems to be destroying their mental health. are they right about that?

I don't think it's unreasonable to think maybe your child is too young for these concepts.

but then you can just not watch it.

and some point your children will find out about these various types of people / social categories.
maybe you don't want Blues Clues to tell them about it, but someone will eventually.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think maybe your child is too young for these concepts.

but then you can just not watch it.

and some point your children will find out about these various types of people / social categories.
maybe you don't want Blues Clues to tell them about it, but someone will eventually.
Too young to know a man and man can love each other? But old enough to know a man and woman can?

No, the kids are old enough to understand it. The parents just want more time to instill their bigotry into their kids without society saying it's actually ok to just be you.

Too young to know a man and man can love each other? But old enough to know a man and woman can?

No, the kids are old enough to understand it. The parents just want more time to instill their bigotry into their kids without society saying it's actually ok to just be you.

well there were more concepts in their than just that.

We live in a pluralistic socitey that prizes parental rights.
so we have to find a balance between other peoples parental beliefs with diversity and inclusion.

well there were more concepts in their than just that.

We live in a pluralistic socitey that prizes parental rights.
so we have to find a balance between other peoples parental beliefs with diversity and inclusion.
No, we don't. Not in public education. If you don't want your kid to learn about things that exist in this world, home school them.

Same goes for parents that don't want their kids to learn of all the racist **** done in the country. If you think your kid is too fragile to learn about it, keep them home. The rest of the kids can learn about it.

Don't hold my kid back from learning about the world bc you're too afraid of your kid learning things.

No, we don't. Not in public education. If you don't want your kid to learn about things that exist in this world, home school them.

Same goes for parents that don't want their kids to learn of all the racist **** done in the country. If you think your kid is too fragile to learn about it, keep them home. The rest of the kids can learn about it.

Don't hold my kid back from learning about the world bc you're too afraid of your kid learning things.

1. I was talking about the Blue Clues youtube video not public education.

2. well yes, especially in public education.
Public education is public, so if the public doesn't like it, the public can get it changed.

The show is for toddlers. Queer, non binary, trans are concepts that are more complex than any other subject matter they deal with it on the show.

Public education is public, so if the public doesn't like it, the public can get it changed.

That’s not how that works - that’s how you get science being taught alongside young earth creationism.

Would public healthcare mean you could vote on the best way to treat disease?

1. I was talking about the Blue Clues youtube video not public education.

2. well yes, especially in public education.
Majority wins. Sorry, bigots aren't the majority. Keep your kid home and turn off the TV. Hope they enjoy that life.

That’s not how that works - that’s how you get science being taught alongside young earth creationism.

Would public healthcare mean you could vote on the best way to treat disease?
well yes, government run healthcare
the public has a say in what treatments do or don't get covered. via who they vote for and who their representatives in government appoint to various regulatory bodies.

im not endorsing anything, im just saying if it's government run, the public has a say.

ZOMG MY KID ISN'T READY TO LEARN ABOUT THAT = I find that icky and I don't want my kid to learn that.

Sorry but I think it is a bit naive to act like there are perfect democratic systems that are shaping stuff like healthcare and education policy that aligns with majority opinions

I mean, c'mon now :lol:

Back
Top Bottom