THE OFFICIAL 2024 - 2025 DALLAS COWBOYS SEASON THREAD || 1 - 1 Next game 9/22 vs. Ravens

If you think about it if we had scored a td on that early fg drive we would have won the game.

They did not respect our run at all with 5 dbs, this game was made for zeke and clock control. Byron Jones has to make that play on the last drive no matter how you cut it. Nobody else was in his zone. Byron tends to get lost when he's not playing man tho.

I was yelling play for the win on the cowboys last drive, when they spike the ball it was a panic move smh.

Nothing u can do when Rogers beat u like that

Don't want to see twill or free ever again as a cowboy.

Dline and db need a big time upgrade

Do like the Seahawks did also and give some of the young guys a contract extension early.

Man we got away from the run way too early...just not enough touches for Zeke(Leveon got his30)... It was already said but I'll reiterate, we got way too cute on third/fourth and short...once more, zeke handles those...

The spike was horrible and unnecessary...

I never saw that call before that they called on Brice butler...either way he had a horrible game...

Scandrick and Byron Jones were just a step behind last night...GREAT OBSERVATION whomever said Byron gets lost in zone sometimes...he's so much better carrying his man straight up...

Please get Rod marinelli a legit front 4...my man works straight magic with scraps, I'm eager to see him with some real talent...that second half he called was beautiful, made the correct adjustment...

Too many mental breakdowns for me...Rogers was sharp and took advantage of our sloppiness on multiple occasions..

Random: we can't afford Tyrrell pryor, and WR can be addressed for much cheaper...defense, defense, defense for me..

I know we've steered away from signing big name free agents lately, with favorable results too so its obviously working....

However, with the money were gonna save by getting rid of Romo, id like to see what big time game changing defenders are on the market..

Just throwing it out there..

I was yelling play for the win on the cowboys last drive, when they spike the ball it was a panic move smh.

Nothing u can do when Rogers beat u like that
Even if you had no problem spiking the ball at least run it on the 3rd and 2 play and make GB burn a TO if you don't get the 1st down. You have the best OL and RB. Trust the "process". 35 sec and 2 TO is more than enough for Rodgers to at least get a hail mary play. It's like Garrett was in denial that this defense hasn't been able to stop them all game.

Just terrible clock management in the last 2 minutes. He absolutely panicked.

Last edited:
Even if you had no problem spiking the ball at least run it on the 3rd and 2 play and make GB burn a TO if you don't get the 1st down. You have the best OL and RB. Trust the "process". 35 sec and 2 TO is more than enough for Rodgers to at least get a hail mary play. It's like Garrett was in denial that this defense hasn't been able to stop them all game.

Just terrible clock management in the last 2 minutes. He absolutely panicked.

Situational football needs HAS to be emphasized this offseason.

I don't want to hear anything about the offense.
We need legit pass rushers. DEFENSE. DEFENSE. DEFENSE.

Situational football needs HAS to be emphasized this offseason.

I don't want to hear anything about the offense.
We need legit pass rushers. DEFENSE. DEFENSE. DEFENSE.
That 3rd and 3 was the game to me... 

If you told me that we would finish 13-3 and lose a heartbreaker at the beginning of the season I'd be surprised.

This team got a good Super Bowl window coming up... trying to be an optimist.

We're gonna have to pay Zack Martin and we still have Romo's contract on the books. Spending big in FA doesn't always work and it hasn't for this team. Just have to hope we continue to draft well and our current players improve.

That call on Butler has never been called in a game since 1984 :lol:

Oh right, in the first quarter that killed that drive!
From the replay their wasn't even a huddle yet. Hmm

This off season we need to work on situational football.
I feel like JG is a good coach but he lacks the knowledge or poise for situational games.
The same way we came into the season is the same way we end it.
No way should we have given AR the ball back with that much time left.
Playing for the tie instead of the win killed us.

I like JG, but we've been going through this for how long?
His seat should be warming up within the next 1-2 years.
1 post season win within 7 years isn't cutting it.

Preach.

It was so simple. Ball on Green Bay 40, hand off to Zeke or pass down the field to whoever. Don't waste a down and clock the ball!!! At that point in the game all that needed to happen was play the field up until there was about 4-7 seconds left (granted we don't score a TD), use your last timeout and go into overtime!

Why on God's green earth would you leave Arron Rodgers with 35 seconds and 2 timeouts? The man is one of the best to ever do it in clutch situations. That's like daring Michael Jordan to beat you at the free throw line and you're only up 1! Smh it's as simple as that. Garret lost us this game. And even had the audacity to defend the decision when asked about it in the post game press conference! Hell, Rodgers himself even said that when he saw the time he thought "that's a little too much time on the clock. "

If Garret ever messes Dallas over with decision making like that again, I'd fire him before he could even walk off the field if I was Stephen or Jerry Jones!

Sorry for my ranting but I'm still hella pissed @ how simple this really was. I was 4 when Dallas won in 95 but not old enough to really remember what they did. I just want to see em be great again [emoji]128546[/emoji]

I would say we do have some pieces on defense...

We were actually ranked the # 1 Secondary in the NFL by PFF a week ago

1. Dallas Cowboys (Rank entering Week 7: 4)
Top overall grade: S Barry Church, 86.2 (No. 9 among safeties)

Top coverage grade: CB Morris Claiborne, 85.1 (No. 12 among CBs)

Top run-defense grade: S Barry Church, 86.0 (No. 11)

Most snaps: CB Brandon Carr, 1,013

One of the biggest reasons for the Cowboys’ success this season has been the turnaround of the secondary. After having just one defensive back with an above-average coverage grade last season, all eight players with at least 100 snaps in 2016 earned average or above-average overall and coverage grades. Although they lack an elite-caliber player, this group has played consistently well as a unit. Byron Jones, Barry Church, Morris Claiborne, and J.J. Wilcox have all earned career-high overall and coverage grades this season, while rookie Anthony Brown has played well down the stretch in Claiborne’s absence.

If I had my choice, this is what I'd run with on defense
DE: ??? - Lawrence - Irving (re-sign) - Mayowa
DT: ??? - T. Crawford - Collins - ???
WILL: Lee - Wilson
Mike: Jaylon Smith - ???
SAM: ??? - Wilbur
*Anthony Hitchens would be rotating in on all 3 positions

Strong Side CB: ???? - Scandrick
Weakside CB: Claiborne (re-sign) - Brown
Slot CB: Scandrick

Strong Safety on the TE: Byron

Free Safety: ???

1. 2 Pass Rushers
2. # 1 Corner on the Strong Side
3. Depth
4. Free Safety
5. SAM

Last edited:
The spike always looks worse in hindsight, but it wasn't as bad a decision as it seemed. If you spike it and then throw incomplete passes, it seems like a bad decision. If you spike it and then Dak completes that slant on 3rd down, the clock is running again and you are worried about time because they were playing for a TD.

I disagree. The goal should have been to get the ball down the field as fast as possible to keep the defense on its heels. We had 2 consecutive big plays, that moved the chains both times. From when Witten was down and the point in time that the ball was spiked, 20 seconds were wasted because they weren't in hurry up mode. If they had maintained a faster pace they could've moved the chains again and quite possibly been 20 yards or less away from the end zone with at least 25 seconds on the clock. At that point you run the ball once, take a couple shots at the end zone, and all else fails then call your time out with a handful of seconds left and kick your field goal. If we lost the game in OT then so be it but at least we had a chance.

You do have to keep in mind that we were getting whatever we wanted on the ground the entire second half. And by that point in the game their defense was gassed, so I highly doubt they would've kept us out the end zone if we kept attacking.

The spike always looks worse in hindsight, but it wasn't as bad a decision as it seemed. If you spike it and then throw incomplete passes, it seems like a bad decision. If you spike it and then Dak completes that slant on 3rd down, the clock is running again and you are worried about time because they were playing for a TD.

I disagree. The goal should have been to get the ball down the field as fast as possible to keep the defense on its heels. We had 2 consecutive big plays, that moved the chains both times. From when Witten was down and the point in time that the ball was spiked, 20 seconds were wasted because they weren't in hurry up mode. If they had maintained a faster pace they could've moved the chains again and quite possibly been 20 yards or less away from the end zone with at least 25 seconds on the clock. At that point you run the ball once, take a couple shots at the end zone, and all else fails then call your time out with a handful of seconds left and kick your field goal. If we lost the game in OT then so be it but at least we had a chance.

You do have to keep in mind that we were getting whatever we wanted on the ground the entire second half. And by that point in the game their defense was gassed, so I highly doubt they would've kept us out the end zone if we kept attacking.

They were playing for a TD, not to take 3 shots at the end zone from the 35 yard line, they just didn't execute. It would have probably taken at least another 20 seconds to get down to the 15 yard line, where they could take good shots at the end zone.

Hindsight is always 20/20 when you don't execute.

Last edited:
I would say we do have some pieces on defense...

We were actually ranked the # 1 Secondary in the NFL by PFF a week ago

1. Dallas Cowboys (Rank entering Week 7: 4)
Top overall grade: S Barry Church, 86.2 (No. 9 among safeties)

Top coverage grade: CB Morris Claiborne, 85.1 (No. 12 among CBs)

Top run-defense grade: S Barry Church, 86.0 (No. 11)

Most snaps: CB Brandon Carr, 1,013

One of the biggest reasons for the Cowboys’ success this season has been the turnaround of the secondary. After having just one defensive back with an above-average coverage grade last season, all eight players with at least 100 snaps in 2016 earned average or above-average overall and coverage grades. Although they lack an elite-caliber player, this group has played consistently well as a unit. Byron Jones, Barry Church, Morris Claiborne, and J.J. Wilcox have all earned career-high overall and coverage grades this season, while rookie Anthony Brown has played well down the stretch in Claiborne’s absence.

If I had my choice, this is what I'd run with on defense
DE: ??? - Lawrence - Irving (re-sign) - Mayowa
DT: ??? - T. Crawford - Collins - ???
WILL: Lee - Wilson
Mike: Jaylon Smith - ???
SAM: ??? - Wilbur
*Anthony Hitchens would be rotating in on all 3 positions

Strong Side CB: ???? - Scandrick
Weakside CB: Claiborne (re-sign) - Brown
Slot CB: Scandrick

Strong Safety on the TE: Byron

Free Safety: ???

1. 2 Pass Rushers
2. # 1 Corner on the Strong Side
3. Depth
4. Free Safety
5. SAM

Yes, we have pieces on defense, the problem is Marinelli's strategy of playing prevent defense. It only works against bad QBs and it is a losing strategy. He should be fired for allowing them to pick up 36 yards on 3rd and 20.

With the salary cap, you can no longer assemble both a dominant defense and offense. You have to use the players to their strengths and the team to their strength.

How did I know before the game that we would lose because of Marinellis 3 man rush getting cooked by Aaron Rodgers? It was obvious. We could have just forfeited the game because it was a losing game plan.

http://niketalk.com/t/506081/the-official-2017-dallas-cowboys-offseason-thread/9810#post_27322573

Last edited:

Time for draft prep...
giphy.gif

I'm still salty 
mean.gif

Stayed away from this thread ....:x :x :smh:

The Packers controlled the clock like we were suppose to do in the 1st half. Our defense could not get off the field.

The first half had about 3 mistakes, that kept the packers on the field and ultimately defeated us.

Cant believe we gave up 35 yards at that moment, but as a longtime fan, i should have expected it.

Are first 3 priorities has to be defense. our d line needs to be able to get pressure. Lets also get a DB.

RT (Free) may need to be replaced, and as good as we are, i would like a bit more discipline.

Cowboys coaching and that cute S!!! of throwing on 2nd/3rd and 1 has got to stop. S!!! has been like that since jason garrett was the OC. (never liked garrett)

Hopefully Dak keeps playing at the level he is, but that int, and a few forced throws gotta get cleaned up.

Giving Dez shorter routes/slants and the occasional out is great.

Keep Witten, but his replacement (whoever it may be) needs to be utilized. We had Bennet and Fasano who were decent to good but got few opportunities.

Curious if Zeke will get a few more passes next year.

Back
Top Bottom