The College Basketball Post

Both have the chance to be the best player in the B10 conference. GR3 hasn't touched his full potential yet. I believe he's a better future pro than McGary, Hardaway.

Harris is drawing Beal comparisons, which I don't necessarily agree with. He needs to be more aggressive and attack the rim instead of settling for outside jumpers.

I'm probably the biggest Harris stan in this thread, but his name shouldn't be with the others. I do like him bottom of the top 10 though.

Ohio State is hard to watch offensively right now. They can't score in the half-court...everything off steals.

Last edited:

My alma mater's first win over a BCS school!

EAGLE PRIDE!!!! MEAC's most notable win since Norfolk St over Mizzou

I would take McGary over GRIII. He frustrates me. I don't get the sense that he'll ever be able to create for himself and he's not good on defense. I thought he had a chance to break out against ISU and he blew it. I know it's early but I just don't know about him. I think I'm going to have a love/hate thing going on with him, so much potential. I'd almost take Stauskas over him.

I don't see Smart being able to play 2 in the NBA. His shot is kinda broken and he isn't exceptionally explosive, so how would he play the 2?

In most drafts he'd be a top 3-4 guy, but not in a draft where there are several potential franchise cornerstones. It's easier to build around a dominant two-way SF or post player than a point guard. If Chris Paul, Lebron and Durant were in the same draft, as great as he is CP3 would be going 3rd. With Wiggins, Parker, Randle in this draft.. as great as Smart is, he isn't going higher than 4th.

And as you said yourself, a lot of people really like Exum's potential. He may very well go above Smart as well.

his shot isn't broke. It's developing and that fast has already shown improvement. even if it was though, you got guys like westbrook and wall drafted whose shots were suspect. and he gets to the line at a really good rate. I'm not sure about that comment above about his ball handling. He handles great and plays like a true PG and does not turn the ball over a lot. His game isn't predicated around shooting or scoring so he's good there. he's less explosive than THOSE guys, but we're talking about some of the more explosive players in the entire nba.

he will be able to play some 2 because he can shoot ok, is big and strong, and can defend some 2s.

also, exum aint a shooter, so I'm not certain the issue there. this was in response to a PG not being taken that high. there have been plenty of PGs taken high and there are plenty of successful PGs in the league with some of the deficiencies you're pointing out. marcus smart has one of the more complete games ive seen coming out of college and still is getting better.

sure he may get drafted behind those guys, but he will definitely be in the mix with those guys and the decision won't come down to the fact that he's a point guard. all of this IMO of course.
Westbrook and Wall are 1s, the mention of his shooting was in reference to him possibly playing the 2 which is not gonna happen imo. Maybe in short spurts, but not consistently. He's no Dwyane Wade.

So he's a 1, but not a dynamite scorer like Rose.. good bball IQ but not a savant like Chris Paul.. what exactly screams 'superstar' about him?

I'm not saying he isn't going to be a great player.. but we're comparing him to Wiggins/Randle/Parker who have the potential to be on the level of Durant, Paul George as players that can carry a franchise. A point guard is only going to affect a franchise's fortunes so much. Chris Paul is one of the greatest point guards to ever play the game, and he's never been past the second round. Kevin Durant, Lebron, Paul George started carrying their teams into the postseason before they even reached their primes.

Smart is a great prospect but we're talking about another level of potential here. How is anyone gonna take him over one of those guys?

As for Exum..he is bigger, more athletic, and supposedly has a higher ceiling than Smart (according to most scouts, tbh I haven't watched him extensively). So Smart isn't necessarily the best PG prospect in this draft, though like I said I haven't watched Exum much outside of that Nike Hoop Summit thing.

Last edited:
I would take McGary over GRIII. He frustrates me. I don't get the sense that he'll ever be able to create for himself and he's not good on defense. I thought he had a chance to break out against ISU and he blew it. I know it's early but I just don't know about him. I think I'm going to have a love/hate thing going on with him, so much potential. I'd almost take Stauskas over him.

I'm not a McGary guy at all, I still really like GRIII but I think he might need another year in school possibly. His athleticism and size for his position are hard not to love. It's too early but I think Stauskaus could be really good from what I saw in that ISU game, better than the other two soph's.

All things aside, Smart just has IT. And I'm not talking about that idiotic intangible they kept saying Tebow had :lol:

He has that basketball IQ, drive and killer instinct you want in not just a pro but a superstar. Case in point: when he went down on the blocks a couple times against Memphis and posted up, screaming for the ball, knowing he was bigger and stronger than most players on the court. Seriously, how many PG's do you see in college read mismatches like that and expose them naturally?

Between him and Parker you can tell that they just know the game and know how to play all over the court. That's what I want at the next level if I'm drafting in the first 5 picks, not potential and a "high ceiling" that someone may never reach.

I don't see Smart being able to play 2 in the NBA. His shot is kinda broken and he isn't exceptionally explosive, so how would he play the 2?

In most drafts he'd be a top 3-4 guy, but not in a draft where there are several potential franchise cornerstones. It's easier to build around a dominant two-way SF or post player than a point guard. If Chris Paul, Lebron and Durant were in the same draft, as great as he is CP3 would be going 3rd. With Wiggins, Parker, Randle in this draft.. as great as Smart is, he isn't going higher than 4th.

And as you said yourself, a lot of people really like Exum's potential. He may very well go above Smart as well.

his shot isn't broke. It's developing and that fast has already shown improvement. even if it was though, you got guys like westbrook and wall drafted whose shots were suspect. and he gets to the line at a really good rate. I'm not sure about that comment above about his ball handling. He handles great and plays like a true PG and does not turn the ball over a lot. His game isn't predicated around shooting or scoring so he's good there. he's less explosive than THOSE guys, but we're talking about some of the more explosive players in the entire nba.

he will be able to play some 2 because he can shoot ok, is big and strong, and can defend some 2s.

also, exum aint a shooter, so I'm not certain the issue there. this was in response to a PG not being taken that high. there have been plenty of PGs taken high and there are plenty of successful PGs in the league with some of the deficiencies you're pointing out. marcus smart has one of the more complete games ive seen coming out of college and still is getting better.

sure he may get drafted behind those guys, but he will definitely be in the mix with those guys and the decision won't come down to the fact that he's a point guard. all of this IMO of course.
Westbrook and Wall are 1s, the mention of his shooting was in reference to him possibly playing the 2 which is not gonna happen imo. Maybe in short spurts, but not consistently. He's no Dwyane Wade.

So he's a 1, but not a dynamite scorer like Rose.. good bball IQ but not a savant like Chris Paul.. what exactly screams 'superstar' about him?

I'm not saying he isn't going to be a great player.. but we're comparing him to Wiggins/Randle/Parker who have the potential to be on the level of Durant, Paul George as players that can carry a franchise. A point guard is only going to affect a franchise's fortunes so much. Chris Paul is one of the greatest point guards to ever play the game, and he's never been past the second round. Kevin Durant, Lebron, Paul George started carrying their teams into the postseason before they even reached their primes.

Smart is a great prospect but we're talking about another level of potential here. How is anyone gonna take him over one of those guys?

As for Exum..he is bigger, more athletic, and supposedly has a higher ceiling than Smart (according to most scouts, tbh I haven't watched him extensively). So Smart isn't necessarily the best PG prospect in this draft, though like I said I haven't watched Exum much outside of that Nike Hoop Summit thing.

Rose became a dynamite scorer when he got to the league, he only avg 15ppg @ Memphis. His career high was 27 and that came in the tourney. Smart has already proven he can be a dynamic scorer and he knows how to get to the free throw line. Getting buckets at the next level is the least of my concerns.

Smart may not be a franchise guy like Durant or George but If he turns out to be a healthy Deron Williams/Baron Davis type of player, is that a bad thing?

Also, I know it's early but Wiggins needs to start showcasing his talent before he ends up like Harrison Barnes.

Rosco Allen has to get well and step his game up. Chasson Randle is carrying a heavy load.

I need Johnny Dawkins to keep his job .

I never understood all those people pickin GTown 2nd in the conference this year, just a discredit to how much Otto carried them last year. I could have got down with that idea if Greg was healthy and playing but he's not. Team has zero punch and relying on Josh Smith to be the guy offensively is just a stretch. It's only November and Gtown always does well in conference play but this is the worst squad I think they have had in a long time.

Meanwhile a few miles down the road Jerelle Benimon might be the best mid-major player in the nation. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom