The College Basketball Post

Malta: I'm down for the NYC summit. Especially during tourney time.

awwsome: Good looks, brotha. Getting chin checked keeps me alive and aware.

JoeClear: Picked up two extra shifts this week. Duke game is a legit possibility.

It was also only their second game of the year and they were thrown to the wolves. Not putting much stock into it.
More ribbing Champ than anything, but they were far from impressive. They're also a Top 10 squad with 4 senior guards, as we were reminded 30 times last night. So I can't really agree about being thrown to the wolves. Not a freshman laden squad. 

Read that Pastner is 0-13 career against ranked teams now. Yikes. 

ComeUp: I can take it. Fun thing about sports. I like taking chances, risks. Never following the crowd with my opinions.

Still early for Memphis, but not a good sign. I'll still support Pastner but Elite Eight looks unlikely with Duke, Kansas, Sparty, Kentucky, L-Ville, Zona, VCU, Wichita State.

One thing I was right about is Markel. Vastly underrated. Gets his without forcing the issue.

Nash is a waste of talent.

Really early, and they caught a Top 5 player in the country on a night where he was unguardable in the 1st half. 

Really early, and they caught a Top 5 player in the country on a night where he was unguardable in the 1st half. 

Nah, they weren't competitive in the least bit, even with Smart goin' turbo.

The funny thing is, watch Memphis run the table, like they typically do, and create hype going into the tourney.

Nah, they weren't competitive in the least bit, even with Smart goin' turbo.

The funny thing is, watch Memphis run the table, like they typically do, and create hype going into the tourney.

With Louisville/UConn/Cinci/Temple/Houston in-conference this year, I'd say they have a better chance of not making the tourney then they do of running the table.

No UNLV guard could stay with Jahii and Dave Rice never thought of denying or doubling him. They also sucked at shooting free throws again.

Thought it was crazy last year that Smart was projected to be drafted ahead of Trey Burke, had he entered the draft. After watching that game last night, I now understand why.

If Smart continues to improve his shooting he's in that top 3 draft pick talk with Wiggins. Randle and Parker

IDK if any GM would wanna risk their jobs picking a point guard over Wiggins/Parker/Randle

IDK if any GM would wanna risk their jobs picking a point guard over Wiggins/Parker/Randle

never heard of this concept. maybe if they knew they'd have to develop as a point guard. or if the PG was undersized. but Smart was in the conversation with the freshman already last year. He's very big and strong for a true PG and is looking like he can move over to the 2. looks like he'll be able to lock up at a few positions too.

he's a rare breed. and extremely cerebral. his entire game and every time Ive read or heard the things he says he has very cognizant superstar written all over.

and I saw exum (pg) on a lot of boards really early. like #1 over these freshmen.

Last edited:
Mayor back to work against BYU.

I support Wichita as a potential Final Four sleeper. I believe in Marshall.

Early, VanFleet, Cotton. Wiggins.

If Smart continues to improve his shooting he's in that top 3 draft pick talk with Wiggins. Randle and Parker

I can't see any scenario where that happens.

Smart had a great game, mechanically his jumper still isn't good, missed badly on some of them, handle still is questionable, his floor is incredibly high but big question marks limit his realistic ceiling.

never heard of this concept. maybe if they knew they'd have to develop as a point guard. or if the PG was undersized. but Smart was in the conversation with the freshman already last year. He's very big and strong for a true PG and is looking like he can move over to the 2. looks like he'll be able to lock up at a few positions too.

he's a rare breed. and extremely cerebral. his entire game and every time Ive read or heard the things he says he has very cognizant superstar written all over.

and I saw exum (pg) on a lot of boards really early. like #1 over these freshmen.
I don't see Smart being able to play 2 in the NBA. His shot is kinda broken and he isn't exceptionally explosive, so how would he play the 2?

In most drafts he'd be a top 3-4 guy, but not in a draft where there are several potential franchise cornerstones. It's easier to build around a dominant two-way SF or post player than a point guard. If Chris Paul, Lebron and Durant were in the same draft, as great as he is CP3 would be going 3rd. With Wiggins, Parker, Randle in this draft.. as great as Smart is, he isn't going higher than 4th.

And as you said yourself, a lot of people really like Exum's potential. He may very well go above Smart as well.

Last edited:
I don't see Smart being able to play 2 in the NBA. His shot is kinda broken and he isn't exceptionally explosive, so how would he play the 2?

In most drafts he'd be a top 3-4 guy, but not in a draft where there are several potential franchise cornerstones. It's easier to build around a dominant two-way SF or post player than a point guard. If Chris Paul, Lebron and Durant were in the same draft, as great as he is CP3 would be going 3rd. With Wiggins, Parker, Randle in this draft.. as great as Smart is, he isn't going higher than 4th.

And as you said yourself, a lot of people really like Exum's potential. He may very well go above Smart as well.

his shot isn't broke. It's developing and that fast has already shown improvement. even if it was though, you got guys like westbrook and wall drafted whose shots were suspect. and he gets to the line at a really good rate. I'm not sure about that comment above about his ball handling. He handles great and plays like a true PG and does not turn the ball over a lot. His game isn't predicated around shooting or scoring so he's good there. he's less explosive than THOSE guys, but we're talking about some of the more explosive players in the entire nba.

he will be able to play some 2 because he can shoot ok, is big and strong, and can defend some 2s.

also, exum aint a shooter, so I'm not certain the issue there. this was in response to a PG not being taken that high. there have been plenty of PGs taken high and there are plenty of successful PGs in the league with some of the deficiencies you're pointing out. marcus smart has one of the more complete games ive seen coming out of college and still is getting better.

sure he may get drafted behind those guys, but he will definitely be in the mix with those guys and the decision won't come down to the fact that he's a point guard. all of this IMO of course.

Last edited:
Seen Semaj play his whole life but didn't catch much of him last year. Want to see how he fairs in this new league before I crown him over Smart.

i will say, at times he seems to be a little TOO confident resulting in some bad posessions/bad shot selection but more times than not he's being a floor general and making it up by impacting the game in every other facet. his mechanics on his shot don't look bad to me though. he can catch/shoot pretty fluidly even though that's not his game.

I'd take Exum over Smart but I can't think of who else besides Randle/Parker/Wiggins I would take before Smart. His jumper isn't there yet but as long as he's consistent it will be serviceable. He's a defensive game changer, exceptional size for a pg and has a high basketball IQ.

Back
Top Bottom