The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by Al3xis

fell asleep, surprised that made it to OT.

First Round of the BET, will NOT be televised (tuesday). SMH.

but it will be streamed on the official Big East site.

HORSE $#$% !!!!
mad.gif

Seth Davis

We lead off this week's mailbag with a question that addresses a topic about which I have been thinking increasingly of late. It comes from George from Wichita, Kan.:

I'm curious as to why Bill Self hasn't gotten more consideration for Coach of the Year. I realize that he is coming off a national championship, but look at what he lost: all five starters, five NBA players, as well as six of his top seven scorers. Add in the fact that he only has one player from last year that had any significant playing time, and over 75 percent of his scoring this year comes from freshmen and sophomores.

The same thought occurred to me as I watched Kansas win at Oklahoma on Monday night to boost the Jayhawks' record to 23-5 (12-1 Big 12). It is truly amazing what Self has done with this team, but is he the national Coach of the Year? It's hard to say, because this is shaping up to be one of the most wide-open COY races in recent memory.

This is due partly to the fact that the criteria for COY is always the hardest to define. Usually, the award goes to the coach whose team exceeds expectations, but this isn't always fair. For example, North Carolina and Connecticut are having fabulous seasons, but I doubt Roy Williams or Jim Calhoun have a shot because everyone assumes their teams will be fabulous every year. Personally, I have always believed the award should recognize excellence as much as overachievement. I also tend to taking into account big-picture factors like recruiting and player development. Those things matter far more than how well a coach diagrams plays during a time out.

So I will take up George's question and give you my top 10 list for COY as it stands today, listed from the bottom up. But keep checking back with me, because this fascinating little race is going to have a lot more twists and turns before we're through. Drum roll, please:

10. Jim Boylen, Utah. The Utes had a couple of bad early losses to Southwest Baptist and Idaho State, and since they play in a mid-major league and get limited exposure, it's doubtful Boylen will garner much attention for COY. Still, the Mountain West is arguably stronger than it has ever been, and Utah has been a model of consistency as it has built a two-game lead atop the standings and ascended to No. 11 in the RPI. The Utes also have two impressive nonconference wins (albeit both at home) over Gonzaga and LSU (which Utah walloped by 30 points). Boylen's NBA background (he spent 13 years as an assistant with the Rockets and Bucks) and Michigan State bloodlines (five years as an assistant under Jud Heathcote and two under Tom Izzo) have proved to be a potent combination in both recruiting and coaching.

9. Jay Wright, Villanova. The Wildcats' guard-heavy personality results more from necessity than design. (Wright swears he tries to recruit big men, but Nova's reputation as Guard U scares them off.) But once again Wright has his team playing smart, tough, scrappy basketball. Villanova looked a little shaky at the start of the season as it blew through a weak nonconference schedule and then lost to Texas at Madison Square Garden, but the steady improvement of Wright's players (most notably Corey Fisher) has paid off. And there is arguably no player in the country who has improved more over the course of his career than senior forward Dante Cunningham.

8. Brad Stevens, Butler. When a team loses four starters and boasts a starting lineup that includes three freshmen and a sophomore, it's logical to assume it will take a step back. Even the Horizon League's writers picked Butler to finish fifth in the preseason. Well, nobody told the Bulldogs they were supposed to step back. They have been in the Top 25 all season and are poised to win the conference yet again. Stevens would be the first to admit that he is a reflection of the long-term winning culture at this program as much as he is its steward, but give Stevens credit for helping this team greatly exceeded expectations. The Bulldogs recently endured a two-game losing streak, but in Butler-esque fashion they rose to the occasion by beating Davidson on the road by 12 last weekend.

7. Russ Pennell, Arizona. I generally don't like to nominate first-year coaches, because they are coaching players who were recruited and developed by their predecessors. (That's why Cal's Mike Montgomery, LSU's Trent Johnson, Oregon State's Craig Robinson, South Carolina's Darrin Horn and Marquette's Buzz Williams aren't on this list, even though you could make strong cases for each.) But given the odd circumstances in which Pennell got this gig -- not just Lute Olson's sudden retirement, but Mike Dunlap's weird refusal to accept the interim job -- it is amazing that the Wildcats are on the brink of an NCAA bid. I highly doubt that Pennell will be named permanent coach at Arizona, but he has certainly helped his cause for a future in this profession.

6. Mike Anderson, Missouri. Anderson came to Columbia in the wake of the Quin Snyder debacle, and it has only taken him three years to put the Tigers back in the hunt for a Big 12 crown. During his first two years Anderson laid the foundation for a program where players are accountable on the court, in the classroom and in the community. Though Missouri has seven new players this year, Anderson has beautifully mixed the old with the new, and his team reflects his discipline, tenacity and intellect. There may not be a single NBA player on this roster, but you can be sure the Tigers will be a tough out in the tournament.

5. John Calipari, Memphis. If you're going to tout Bill Self for COY, then you have to also recognize the coach whom he vanquished in last year's title game. Like Kansas, Memphis lost all of its core players, but unlike Self, Calipari has had to break in a rookie point guard in Tyreke Evans. Moving Evans to the point in January has proved to be a master stroke, and the Tigers are playing with supreme confidence. Of course, that success is once again partly a reflection of the weakness of Conference USA, but the fact is, there's a great chance Memphis will end up as a number one seed. How many of you predicted that back on October 15th?

4. Dino Gaudio, Wake Forest. It's hard to imagine a more difficult set of circumstances that led Gaudio to become head coach at Wake Forest. Not only did he suffer an immense personal hardship when his best friend and boss, Skip Prosser, died suddenly of a heart attack, but he had to convince Prosser's highly-touted freshman class to come to Winston-Salem anyway. Now in his second year at the helm, Gaudio has revamped Prosser's defensive scheme and kept a team that relies heavily on freshmen and sophomores in the top 15 of the national rankings for most of the season. The young Deacs have hit a bit of a wall here late in the season, but if they can get their second wind and finish strong, they definitely have Final Four mettle.

3. Bill Self, Kansas. I've got to believe a lot of people are going to agree with George's choice of Self as COY. If the Jayhawks win the Big 12, he'll probably be a slam dunk, but I'd add one small caveat: In Kansas's two biggest conference games, the Jayhawks blew a big lead at Missouri, and they beat Oklahoma without Blake Griffin. Still, the progression of this young and inexperienced team this season has been steady and impressive. I've seen Self address his team before a big game -- Knute Rockne, he's not -- but there are lots of ways to motivate players. Self does it by earning their trust, paying close attention to details and holding them accountable each and every day. Its no coincidence that he has won everywhere he has been, but this year may be his best coaching job ever.

2. Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh. Dixon is in his sixth year at Pitt, and during that time the Panthers have been as dominant a program as any in the country. We'll see if they can finally get past the Sweet 16 (which they haven't done since 1974), but it's worth remembering that Dixon, who was an assistant at Pitt under Ben Howland, probably would not have gotten the head job if Skip Prosser hadn't turned it down. I'd say he's done very well for himself.

1. Jeff Capel, Oklahoma. It's a little counterintuitive to hand the top spot to a man whose team is on a two-game losing streak, but we all know things would be different if Blake Griffin were healthy. Capel has done a phenomenal job at the most important thing a coach does: recruit. By convincing highly coveted players like Griffin and Willie Warren to come to Norman, and by convincing Griffin to return for his sophomore season when he could have been a lottery pick, Capel has proved that he is a coach that kids want to play for. (He also just landed two recruits named to the McDonald's All-American game.) This season, Capel, who just turned 34 this month, has also demonstrated that he is a gifted game manager whose sideline demeanor remains unruffled. That he has the Sooners in the hunt for a No. 1 seed, a No. 1 ranking and a realistic shot at a national championship is something that no one could have predicted when he took this job three years ago. Things can change since there is still a lot of basketball to be played, but as of right now, Jeff Capel is my choice for national coach of the year.

Any time I put a list together (such as the one above), I know I am going to get a lot of hey-what-about-this-guy emails. Earlier week, I wrote a Hoop Thoughts column providing quotes from NBA scouts (through an amalgam named Finch) about 40 of the top college players in America. You would think 40 would be ample -- I mean, it was enough for Casey Kasem, right? -- but not for my devoted Hoop Thinkers. I got lots of emails from people suggesting other players on whom they wanted Finch to weigh in. So in my ongoing effort to keep my devoted readers happy, I rang up one of the scouts and asked him to provide anonymous quotes on seven more requested players:

Nick Calathes, 6-6 sophomore guard, Florida (requested by Matt, Miami): "I like him because he loves to pass and he has size, but I don't trust his shot in the least. It's kind of a set shot. It's similar to Brent Barry's, that quick-release set shot, but Brent is a great shooter and this guy isn't. I don't think he's athletic enough to be a starting point guard, but a backup point? Sure. Can he play against Acie Law? Yeah. Can he play against Derrick Rose? No way."

Sherron Collins, 5-11 junior guard, Kansas (Dan Maginn, Neb.): "I'm not a huge fan, but to his credit, he's put this team on his back and taken a bunch of young guys and made them really good. His problem is, he's a scoring point guard and he's small. I'm not sure how that translates to our game, so I'm a little ambivalent. Maybe this is a bad analogy, but Khalid El Amin comes to mind. He was small and stocky, too, but he was a better playmaker than Collins -- and he couldn't make it. I also saw Collins during the Pan Am trials at Villanova two years ago, and he was terrible. Those little guys who are combo guards kind of make me nervous, but given what he's done this year I think he plays in the league because he can score and he has toughness."

Jonny Flynn, 6-foot sophomore guard, Syracuse (David Dusek, N.Y.): "I'm not a huge Jonny Flynn guy. He's got speed, he's got big hands, but he's a shoot-first point guard. I think he's a more willing passer than Collins, but again, he's small. He won't be a two in the league, so he has to be a playmaker. There's a role for him in the league. If I'm taking Jonny Flynn in the late 20s, I hope he makes my team. After that, it's pot luck."

Jack McClinton, 6-1 senior guard, Miami (L, Atlanta): "Now he does something that's special. He shoots from halfcourt! He'll fight you at the drop of a hat and he'll take every big shot. He's kind of a combo guard, but he's more of a two than a one. I also like that he can defend points. So he can play off of a good point guard, and then he can turn around and guard the other team's point. That team is not having a great year, but he's responsible for most of their wins. He's right in that 27 to 37 range, but he gets more attention from me than some of those other guys you mentioned."

Jerel McNeal, 6-3 senior guard, Marquette (Chris Kloth, Milwaukee): "He's really helped himself tremendously. He's had an unbelievable year. He's a second-round pick, but because of his toughness and what he's achieved, he's one of those guys who will probably will his way onto a team. He can probably make a team, but he's 6-3, maybe 6-4, he's not a great athlete. He has shot it much better than he has in the past, but he's not a shooter the magnitude of a Ray Allen."

Patrick Patterson, 6-9 sophomore forward, Kentucky (Darren, New Albany, Ind.): "Probably a late first-rounder. Blue collar, undersized, but good. No nonsense, no frills, tough, rebounds, great hands, makes elbow jumpers. Not a bad athlete but not a great athlete. They list him at 6-9 so you know he's 6-7 and a half. His toughness and guile really translates to our league. He doesn't stretch the defense with his shooting, but you can play off him because he's going to chase the ball and get it for you. The question is, can he help you beat top frontline guys? Look at Boston, where Garnett and Perkins start. They'd dwarf this kid. But can he play against Glen Davis? Absolutely. So you take him at [pick number] 27."

Greivis Vasquez, 6-6 junior guard, Maryland (Kevin Spaulding, Sykesville, Md): "He's a buzz name because he had the monster game against Carolina, a team that couldn't guard you, me, your wife and your children. You have to judge Vazquez like you judge an Olympic skater. You throw away the Carolina game because it will never happen again, and when he goes 1 for 11 with seven turnovers, throw that out, too. So he's somewhere in the middle. He can really play in space when the court is open, but when the game gets a little confined and they bump him and he has to make thinking decisions, he has trouble. To me, he's a second-round pick. Big guard, average athlete, pretty good shooter. A high-risk, high-reward player."

Finally, a few more quickie questions ...

Does the selection committee take into account non-conference rematches in the tournament? I firmly believe a Michigan State and North Carolina rematch would be best in the Final Four, not the Elite Eight.
--
Chari Bayan, Syracuse, N.Y.

The committee does try to avoid rematches of games that have taken place during the regular season, but only for the first round -- and even then it has the option of letting a rematch take place if it means preserving its other bracketing principles. The committee doesn't do anything to prevent those rematches from happening in later rounds because it's impossible, not to mention unfeasible, to anticipate who is going to meet up.

Simple and direct: Can UNC play enough defense for six straight games to win it all? (And as a P.S.: Will they?)
-- Joe Johnson, Omaha, Neb.

Simple and direct: Yes, they can. And as a P.S.: I have no earthly idea. I still say Carolina plays better defense than people give them credit for, but they don't always put forth the necessary effort and focus. Still, this team doesn't have to play great defense every game to win the national championship. They just have to play good enough D so they can outscore their opponents. In a wacky season like this one, when there is no clear-cut favorite, that may well be enough.

What was the deal with Renardo Sidney's commitment to USC? Did Ben Howland not want him? And what were your thoughts on the lavish commitment ceremony?
-- Franklin, Los Angeles

For those of you who don't follow recruiting that closely, Sidney is an immensely talented 6-11 center who plays for Fairfax High in Los Angeles and committed to USC last week. Sidney's itinerant life, which brought him from Mississippi to L.A. in 2006, has brought him a lot of unwelcome scrutiny, but that did not stop him from holding a ridiculously over the top press conference to announce his decision. (For an account of the event, check out Eric Sondheimer's must-read column in the Los Angeles Times.) It is a well-known fact that Sidney's father is on Reebok's payroll for coaching his son's summer team. Reebok's grassroots maven Chris Rivers seems like a pretty smart guy, yet he and Sidney's family were so tone-deaf to the unseemliness of that arrangement that they thought it was a good idea to have Rivers sitting at the head table of the banquet-like setup as Renardo made his announcement. This is why the NCAA, to the consternation of the Sonny Vaccaros of the world, is trying to rid grassroots basketball of the influence of sneaker companies.

UCLA had also been in hot pursuit of Sidney, but a few days before Sidney made his announcement, the Bruins stopped recruiting him. It is still not clear to me whose idea it was to end that courtship. I've heard that UCLA was uncomfortable with the fact that Sidney has yet to qualify academically -- in fact, he has yet to even take the SAT -- but how uncomfortable could they have been if they had been pursuing Sidney right up until last week? My best guess is they wanted Sidney to get qualified before committing to a school, and when he told them he wanted to make his announcement beforehand they pulled out.

With regards to the kid himself, I am plagued by my usual ambivalence. Sidney hasn't always played to his potential on the AAU circuit, but what teenager has? He is having a monster year at Fairfax, and he was recently named a McDonald's All-American. USC's basketball program has drawn some unwelcome scrutiny of its own, most recently from an ESPN Outside the Lines story highlighting Tim Floyd's decisions to hire the father of two players (one current and one future). Sidney's arrival will undoubtedly bring more of that kind of negative attention. But can we really blame Floyd for recruiting this kid? We all know it's his job to win games. If he doesn't win, he loses his job. So the bottom line is, Floyd needs to recruit Sidney, because if Floyd doesn't coach him, chances are he'll wind up coaching against him.

The Men's Championship's second-round, quarterfinal, semifinal and final rounds will be televised live on ESPN and can be seen online at ESPN360.com.

The BIG EAST, in conjunction with its Digital Media Partner, JumpTV, will offer exclusive free live video streams of the four first-round games of both the women's championship on Friday, March 6 and the men's championship on Tuesday, March 10 through the conference's official streaming video platform, BIGEAST.tv

First-round games will not be televised for either tournament.

Seth Davis' columns/predictions are terrible.

To not even include South Carolina head coach Darrin Horn in his Top 10 is rediculous. This guy is in his first year at the University with Dave Odom'splayers and has the Gamecocks 20-6, first place in the SEC East and probably headed toward their first NCAA tournament bid since 2003.

**** Seth Davis. Yes I'm salty.
devil.gif

Sherron Collins, 5-11 junior guard, Kansas (Dan Maginn, Neb.): "I'm not a huge fan, but to his credit, he's put this team on his back and taken a bunch of young guys and made them really good. His problem is, he's a scoring point guard and he's small. I'm not sure how that translates to our game, so I'm a little ambivalent. Maybe this is a bad analogy, but Khalid El Amin comes to mind. He was small and stocky, too, but he was a better playmaker than Collins -- and he couldn't make it. I also saw Collins during the Pan Am trials at Villanova two years ago, and he was terrible. Those little guys who are combo guards kind of make me nervous, but given what he's done this year I think he plays in the league because he can score and he has toughness."

Jonny Flynn, 6-foot sophomore guard, Syracuse (David Dusek, N.Y.): "I'm not a huge Jonny Flynn guy. He's got speed, he's got big hands, but he's a shoot-first point guard. I think he's a more willing passer than Collins, but again, he's small. He won't be a two in the league, so he has to be a playmaker. There's a role for him in the league. If I'm taking Jonny Flynn in the late 20s, I hope he makes my team. After that, it's pot luck

Ouch!
ohwell.gif

First Round of the BET, will NOT be televised (tuesday). SMH.

but it will be streamed on the official Big East site.
You've gotta be kidding me.
indifferent.gif

Always a downside to having every school in there.

capt.1283afd7298e4ce69029f27c0a6ee58a.usc_california_basketball_cadv105.jpg

XVIs
pimp.gif

ON TAP: Not much of note tonight, but here's the schedule for the weekend:

SATURDAY (all times eastern)

12 p.m. ET - Georgetown at Villanova
2 p.m. - Notre Dame at UConn; Clemson at Florida State
3 p.m. - Arizona at Washington
3:30 - Oklahoma at Texas Tech; Duke at Virginia Tech
4 - Ohio State at Purdue; LSU at Kentucky; Temple at Dayton
5 - Arizona State at Washington State; Utah at BYU
6 - Texas at Oklahoma State
7:30 - Gonzaga at San Diego
8 - USC at Stanford
8:30 - Pittsburgh at Seton Hall
9 - UCLA at Cal
10 - Utah State at Nevada

SUNDAY (all times eastern)

12 p.m. ET - Marquette at Louisville
2 - Missouri at Kansas; Providence at Rutgers; Cincinnati at Syracuse; Michigan at Wisconsin; Tennessee at Florida
4 - Michigan State at Illinois
7:30 - Maryland at N.C. State
actuallly Siena @ Niagara is a nice game tonight...

8 - USC at Stanford
9 - UCLA at Cal

2 - Missouri at Kansas; Providence at Rutgers; Cincinnati at Syracuse; Michigan at Wisconsin; Tennessee at Florida

My alma marter's about to get stomped at the crib
ohwell.gif
smh.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

8 - USC at Stanford
9 - UCLA at Cal

ohwell.gif
smh.gif
tired.gif

Niagara is going to win

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

8 - USC at Stanford
9 - UCLA at Cal

ohwell.gif
smh.gif
tired.gif

ya gotta have more faith than that, especially at home...Niagara FTW!
pimp.gif

G... I lost faith in them boys after my guy Renny left... Don't get me wrong Ty, Bilal, and Rob can hoop but meh...

Boyd Picks Sun Belt Power Premium Story
Terrence Boyd
567966.jpg

Terrence Boyd

By Evan Daniels
Recruiting Analyst
Posted Feb 27, 2009

Terrence Boyd took a trip to a Sun Belt Conference program this past weekend. After mulling over his visit for a few days, the talented wing made his college decision.

Ken McDonald received a big commitment on Friday.

The first year Western Kentucky head coach picked up a verbal commitment from top 100 prospect Terrence Boyd.

"The reason that I chose Western Kentucky is because when I went down to the university I was basically looking for a place that had a good atmosphere, a good campus life and a university that had goods sports, and I felt that," Boyd said.

"I felt like Western Kentucky was the perfect fit," he continued. "I know the coaches very especially their assistant Ray Harper. I go tot know coach McDonald also. They are just good people off the court and we just jelled."

Boyd said the Hilltoppers began pursuing him due to a relationship between Ray Harper, an assistant at WKU, and his AAU coach.

"My AAU coach and Ray Harper, an assistant coach at Western Kentucky, go way back," Boyd said. My AAU coach mentioned my name to coach to coach Harper my junior year and the next week I saw Western Kentucky in the gym."

Boyd, a 6-foot-4, 205-pound wing, took a visit to Bowling Green (Ky.) this past weekend. He's currently rated as a four-star prospect and is ranked No. 18 at the small forward position.

Boyd, who hasn't played the past two seasons due to eligibility issues, said he should be good to go academically.

These mid-majors are throwing out money this year.
laugh.gif

it was a trap game after the Bracketbuster game and on the road against a good team..

but c'mon..
indifferent.gif

Yea, son definitely sounds zoned out in that interview.

Edit- come on Lance, at least front like you read a book in your lifetime.

Son sounds like his life is nothing but playing ball smh. If he comes to SJU, he better be taking speech class
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I'm tellin you what allen - seeing niagara twice now, they ain't a joke. Your boys might not make it through that tournament next week.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

I'm tellin you what allen - seeing niagara twice now, they ain't a joke. Your boys might not make it through that tournament next week.
co-sign. Niagara dropped 100 and beat Siena soundly. Siena's defense is like swiss cheese. Siena is lucky the tourney is on their home floor,but the Purple Eagles will still be a problem and i think they can pull it off.

If it wasn't in their home arena, I'd agree. but they controlled Niagara throughout there earlier this year, won by 17.

Niagara is good tho and they're big man poses a problem.

Back
Top Bottom