The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by RellNye

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

fam, he was there 1 year.

that's ridiculous.
He must droppin off a helluva endowment to the school.
Anyone have a figure on any donations from Durant?
And in that one year he established himself as the best player ever to play in that program and won almost every individual award that there was...is it arguable? Yes...ridiculous? No...I don't understand what's outrageous about a player who can make a claim to be the best player EVER in a program's history...getting his number retired regardless if he was there for a year or not.
Dumb argument. Carmelo is probably the best player in the history of Syracuse basketball andhasn't had his number retired yet and he helped them win a 'chip in his only year.

UT basketball has no tradition or they would have waited longer to do such a thing.
Hit the Nail on the head.. Blouses..
Beasley will be next...

^word... at least wait it out a little bit.

UT hoops program just looks lame for being so pressed to retire his jersey.

Originally Posted by MDterps4

If Hanbrough wins it...
smh.gif

I wouldn't be surprised just because of the massive blowjob he's received his entire career. No way in hell he deserved to win NPOY last yr but... sureenough. So I fully expect them to give him atleast the ACC this yr as it would be absolute criminal to give NPOY to anyone but Blake.

that's ridiculous.
And in that one year he established himself as the best player ever to play in that program and won almost every individual award that there was...is it arguable? Yes...ridiculous? No...I don't understand what's outrageous about a player who can make a claim to be the best player EVER in a program's history...getting his number retired regardless if he was there for a year or not.
Dumb argument. Carmelo is probably the best player in the history of Syracuse basketball andhasn't had his number retired yet and he helped them win a 'chip in his only year.

UT basketball has no tradition or they would have waited longer to do such a thing.

You're saying that he was better than Pearl, Billy Owens, or even John Wallace while at Cuse (forget there post college careers) Just because he gotBoehiem his 1st title doesn't mean he was the best to play in that uniform bro. Can you make a case for him? Yes, but you can't outright say that heis. Furthermore Melo didn't dominate anything like Kevin did, sure he got fresh of the yr and MOP(which is huge) but Kevin won damn near every awardpossible that yr. So I agree with the retiring of his number. Could they have waited a few more yrs??? Sure it probably would have made it less criticized butyou can't say he didn't deserve it.

that's ridiculous.

well said,

Derrick Coleman and Dave Bing are prolly the best players in SU history tho

that's ridiculous.

Actually, there's a big difference. Yes, Melo was the MOP on a national championship team, but KD was the NPOY in his only year at Texas.
He was the first freshman to win the Neismith and the Wooden.

At UNC a school with "a great deal of tradition", if you win those awards, you get your number retired automatic. Hansbrough got that distinctionbecause he won NPOY last season.

You can't even compare Melo and KD.

RANDOM NOTES: How about Ohio University rookie coach John Groce getting an official visit from Top 100 big man Kyryl Natyazhko, a 6-foot-10 Ukrainian who is at IMG Academy down in Florida. The word we're getting is that Natyazhko visited Xavier last week and will likely choose from the pair - despite getting plenty of high-major interest lately. … You've got to give Texas Tech assistant Chris Beard credit for nearly pulling off the upset at Texas on a night in which Kevin Durant's jersey was retired. Beard was the acting head coach for Pat Knight, who was suspended for a game, and had the Red Raiders within two points late in the game. ``It felt like back in junior college," Beard said. ``Except the crowd was a little bigger." … Central Florida's Jermaine Taylor scored 45 points in a 69-66 loss to Rice last night. He had 26 of UCF's 30 second-half points and is third nationally in scoring at 26.1 points per game. … South Florida sophomore Dominique Jones became the second-fastest player in school history to reach 1,000 career points. … The two biggest jumps of the night in the RPI belonged to Virginia Tech and Rhode Island, who have put themselves in the mix for an NCAA tournament berth.

ON TAP: There are plenty of quality games on Thursday night:

Memphis at UAB, 9 p.m. ET
Arizona State at Washington, 11 p.m. ET
Purdue at Michigan, 9 p.m. ET
Minnesota at Illinois, 7 p.m. ET

Go get that title ASU
pimp.gif

Go get that title ASU
pimp.gif

grin.gif

Sun Devils going to have their hands full trying to slow down Brockman, Dentman and Thomas.
and vice versa with Pendergraph and Harden...The First game Pendergraph did whatever he wanted with Brockman (pause). I expect Harden to be alotmore aggressive than he was in Tempe and UW's perimeter D needs to be on point...we can't have a repeat of what happened at UCLA
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

If Hanbrough wins it...
smh.gif

I wouldn't be surprised just because of the massive blowjob he's received his entire career. No way in hell he deserved to win NPOY last yr but... sure enough. So I fully expect them to give him atleast the ACC this yr as it would be absolute criminal to give NPOY to anyone but Blake.

that's ridiculous.
Dumb argument. Carmelo is probably the best player in the history of Syracuse basketball and hasn't had his number retired yet and he helped them win a 'chip in his only year.

You're saying that he was better than Pearl, Billy Owens, or even John Wallace while at Cuse (forget there post college careers) Just because he got Boehiem his 1st title doesn't mean he was the best to play in that uniform bro. Can you make a case for him? Yes, but you can't outright say that he is. Furthermore Melo didn't dominate anything like Kevin did, sure he got fresh of the yr and MOP(which is huge) but Kevin won damn near every award possible that yr. So I agree with the retiring of his number. Could they have waited a few more yrs??? Sure it probably would have made it less criticized but you can't say he didn't deserve it.

Where did I say he was the best? Since when did probably = definite? He was arguably the best. I never said that Durant didn't deserve so calm the %!%@down, damn. Getting emotional over nothing. Melo didn't have to dominate the game because he was blessed to be in a better situation. Are we penalizingplayers because of when they were with their programs now?

roll.gif
RellNye wrote:

If Hanbrough wins it...
smh.gif

I wouldn't be surprised just because of the massive blowjob he's received his entire career. No way in hell he deserved to win NPOY last yr but... sure enough. So I fully expect them to give him atleast the ACC this yr as it would be absolute criminal to give NPOY to anyone but Blake.

that's ridiculous.
Dumb argument. Carmelo is probably the best player in the history of Syracuse basketball and hasn't had his number retired yet and he helped them win a 'chip in his only year.

You're saying that he was better than Pearl, Billy Owens, or even John Wallace while at Cuse (forget there post college careers) Just because he got Boehiem his 1st title doesn't mean he was the best to play in that uniform bro. Can you make a case for him? Yes, but you can't outright say that he is. Furthermore Melo didn't dominate anything like Kevin did, sure he got fresh of the yr and MOP(which is huge) but Kevin won damn near every award possible that yr. So I agree with the retiring of his number. Could they have waited a few more yrs??? Sure it probably would have made it less criticized but you can't say he didn't deserve it.

Where did I say he was the best? Since when did probably = definite? He was arguably the best. I never said that Durant didn't deserve so calm the %!%@ down, damn. Getting emotional over nothing. Melo didn't have to dominate the game because he was blessed to be in a better situation. Are we penalizing players because of when they were with their programs now?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I'ma need you to re-read my response to your statement and tell me where I got hype or emotional anywhere in that passage. This is a prime example of beingupset at someone poking holes in your theory, but relax young man it happens to everyone at some point in time.

Now to address your comeback. You compared Melo to Kevin. You made it seem as tho they were on equal playing fields. You insinuated that because Melo's #wasn't retired yet it was stupid for Kev's to be retired. All I did was point out that there were plenty of people who wore the same jersey as Melo andaccomplished waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than him individually and the same can't be said for Kevin. Hell I may be wrong but I believe he may be the 1stfreshman to win all the awards he did. Having you jersey retired is based on individual achievments and like you said Melo was blessed to have a damn goodco-star and supporting cast which allowed him to get that chip. So based off that alone you can't even compare them.

Lastly this is the 2nd time I've seen you attempt to jump down someones throat for addressing a statement you made. He tough conference play and Boehiemsineffective coaching schemes getting to you?, midterms have you a little stressed? your girl not giving you the merch? Whats wrong G? If you can't handlesomebody replying to your post you might want to take a break bro, I suggest you be cool, go grab a shot or something during lunch and focus on whats reallyeating away at you.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by MBen32

your girl not giving you the merch?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
That made me laugh for some reason, but don't mind me..carry on fellas
wink.gif

G.. Lack of ({}) will put a boy on edge seriously. And I'm not coming at him, thats not what this is, atleast It wasn't attempted to be taken that way.I'm genuwinely concerned because his post have given me the appearence that me may be a little past tense in the past few weeks.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I'ma need you to re-read my response to your statement and tell me where I got hype or emotional anywhere in that passage. This is a prime example of being upset at someone poking holes in your theory, but relax young man it happens to everyone at some point in time.

Now to address your comeback. You compared Melo to Kevin. You made it seem as tho they were on equal playing fields. You insinuated that because Melo's # wasn't retired yet it was stupid for Kev's to be retired. All I did was point out that there were plenty of people who wore the same jersey as Melo and accomplished waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than him individually and the same can't be said for Kevin. Hell I may be wrong but I believe he may be the 1st freshman to win all the awards he did. Having you jersey retired is based on individual achievments and like you said Melo was blessed to have a damn good co-star and supporting cast which allowed him to get that chip. So based off that alone you can't even compare them.

Lastly this is the 2nd time I've seen you attempt to jump down someones throat for addressing a statement you made. He tough conference play and Boehiems ineffective coaching schemes getting to you?, midterms have you a little stressed? your girl not giving you the merch? Whats wrong G? If you can't handle somebody replying to your post you might want to take a break bro, I suggest you be cool, go grab a shot or something during lunch and focus on whats really eating away at you.
wink.gif

2ajbe5x.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

Yea you can make a case for Carmelo being one of the best.

But then theres Bing,Pearl,Owens,Melo so I wouldn't put as the outright best

I think it's fine retireing KD number and everything, I just always thought you should wait a bit to do it. Just doing it when the guy when to school thereless than 5 years ago is too quick. I think doing it further along would make people appreciate it more.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Yea you can make a case for Carmelo being one of the best.

But then theres Bing,Pearl,Owens,Melo so I wouldn't put as the outright best

I think it's fine retireing KD number and everything, I just always thought you should wait a bit to do it. Just doing it when the guy when to school there less than 5 years ago is too quick. I think doing it further along would make people appreciate it more.

small_030506subasket16DN.JPG

If Hansbrough wins it all that would be some BS. He hasn't done !##% this year and is a @*#%!. There are much more deserving candidates out there. Hell Iwould rather David McClure win it over Hansbrough. But realistically, I think it goes to Teague and maybe Lawson second. Sure, Ty has gotten blown up by 3point guards, but he is on the verge of breaking the ACC Assist to TO ratio and has improved in pretty much all statistical categories.

Anyways here's an article on Casey Prather posted on Inside Carolina today:
[table][tr][td]Prather's One to Watch
premium.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
646458.jpg

[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
By Evan Daniels

Special to IC
Posted Feb 26, 2009
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

The attention for Casey Prather is mounting. Every night a new college coach is in the building and every week he seems to score a new scholarship offer. On Tuesday, North Carolina was in town for his district final game.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
The District 14-AA championship game was Jackson (Tenn.) North Side's first district loss of the season. Despite the loss, Prather, a 6-foot-5 junior wing, put his perimeter skills on display and went for 36 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks.
"I've just been improving my perimeter skills a whole lot," Prather said. "I've been playing real good. I've been working real hard. Everything feels like it's falling together for me."

Primarily known as a slasher, the athletic Prather said he's spent time working on his ball handling and shooting. The effort in the gym has paid off, as he's averaging 23 points and 11 rebounds per outing and is a finalist for Mr. Basketball in Tennessee.

"I'm a scorer," he said. "I play good defense and I play hard on both ends of the floor. I just do whatever it takes to win."

At his District championship game were two ACC assistant coaches. North Carolina sent Steve Robinson, while Georgia Tech's Peter Zaharia's was in attendance.

Prather's offer list is long and impressive. He currently has full rides from Michigan, Wake Forest, Virginia, Miami, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Mississippi, Alabama, Akron, Southern Illinois, Vanderbilt and "a lot more."

"I get a call just about every night from another coach," Prather said. "It's pretty fun."

To go with his offers, he also has Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida, Stanford and North Carolina trailing him. According to Prather, the Tar Heels recently started showing interest.

"They just started picking it up recently," Prather said. "They've always remained in closer contact with my AAU coaches."

Prather, who is planning to take some visits following the season, said he's just starting to feel out North Carolina's recruitment and they've expressed interest in him fulfilling their need for a small forward from the class of 2010.

"They haven't told me how they've evaluated my game and everything, but they have said they are in need of another small forward for their team and they said that they are going to look at me more," Prather said.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

JT3 looking at bringing in another guard possibly Allen? He's been lighting it up all season too in KY.

Sanford Gets Loose In Front Of Coaches Premium Story
Vee Sanford
622131.jpg

Vee Sanford

By Evan Daniels
Recruiting Analyst
Posted Feb 26, 2009

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Lexington Catholic needed a big effort from their star senior -- Vee Sanford -- in the District semifinals, and that's exactly what theyreceived and he did it in front of a few interested college coaches.

It was elimination time on Wednesday in the Bluegrass state.

Lexington (Ky.) Catholic, led by Vee Sanford, took on Lexington (Ky.) Tates Creek, with the winner advancing to the 43rd District finals and guaranteeingthemselves a spot in the 11th Region Tournament, while the loser was sent home.

And when Sanford, a senior standout, was needed most, he rose to the occasion. After a rough start to the game, Sanford turned it up, knocking in floaters anddeep off the dribble jumpers on his way to 31 points.

"I came into the game a little excited and I forced some shots, but I listened to my father and my coach and they told me to let the game come to me andthat's what I did," Sanford said. "I started taking good shots."

Sanford's big effort, on 12-for-21 shooting, is the main reason the Knights will play in the District championship on Friday against Lexington (Ky.)Lafayette. To go with his 31 points, he also tossed out five assists, had five steals, but turned it over five times.

With coaches from Georgetown, Virginia and Charlotte in attendance, Sanford showed his ability to take over a game. At halftime it was a one-point game,Sanford dialed in from deep in the second half and got his hands in passing lanes, and helped Catholic pull off a double-digit win.

The 6-foot-3 combo guard has seen varying levels of college interest thus far. He holds scholarship offers from Wyoming, Toledo, Indiana State, Miami, Bradley,Saint Louis and Loyola-Chicago, while Kentucky, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Marquette, Georgetown, Virginia and Charlotte are showing interest.

"I'm just trying to handle it and find the right fit," Sanford told Scout.com. "I'm trying to enjoy it while I can because I'm goingto commit pretty soon. I'm just trying to enjoy it all."

"The level isn't a big deal for me," he said. "I'm just trying to find the right fit. I want to go somewhere where I can be an impact onthe team. That's what I feel is important, no matter what level whether it's low D-1 or high D-1."

With the Knights in the middle of a state tournament run, now isn't the best time for Sanford to take visits, but once the season ends he's going totry and see some campuses before he comes up with a decision.

"Coach told me Georgetown wants me to come for an official visit and Virginia as well," Sanford said. " Nebraska and Charlotte too."

Sanford has been patient with the recruiting process since it began getting hectic at the beginning of the season, and he said he's not planning to changethat approach.

"I'm just trying to be patient," he said. "I'm not trying to force too much and commit too early. I'm just trying to bepatient."

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Didn't see it talked about much here last night... but that Va Tech win last night was a huge one.
yeah, apparently it boosted their RPI a whole lot. the problem is, they have Duke, UNC, and Florida State to finish the season. they could easilydrop their last three games.

If anyone lisented to Mike&Mike this morning they were talking about the mock draft at ESPN and how they had some real guys from the commitee there.

They never mentiond RPI once.

Kevin Durant = NPOY, 1st team All American= left school after 1 year = had jersey retired by said school 2 years later
Wilt Chamberlain = All American 2 times, Final 4 MVP on the losing team = left school after 2 years on varsity (back then freshmen couldn't play varsity) =had jersey retired from said school 40 years later

Originally Posted by SCuse7

If anyone lisented to Mike&Mike this morning they were talking about the mock draft at ESPN and how they had some real guys from the commitee there.

They never mentiond RPI once.
you know what, you're right. i actually did listen this morning and completely forgot about that
laugh.gif

so yeah, scratch my post. RPI, for all intents and purposes, is useless.

i thought it was wack when they said they don't try to reward teams that had better seasons. instead they just arbitrarily choose whoever they think is thebetter team, even if another team has a better resume or can make a better case for being in the Dance.

Back
Top Bottom