The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

ACC POY is really between Teague, Hansbrough and Lawson. Rice, Douglas and McClinton might all get left out not only off the POY talks, but first team as well, which is pretty wild.
I only got a problem with you putting Lawson ahead of the latter players. Lawson has been outplayed by every elite guard in the ACC and all ofUNC losses have come against the best PG's who Lawson struggles against.

I know I probably sound like a Homer which I'll admit but there is no way I could give Lawson the POY award ahead of Teague, Rice or Douglas. Yea he'slead the TarHeels to a great season but that was expected of them. They weren't even supposed to lose this season. Both Rice and Douglas' teams werepicked to finish 9th and 10th i believe while many people said that Wake was too young to challenge.

I think Teague will win it but I hope Toney balls out and we can win 2 outta our last 3.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

Originally Posted by AirGordon10

Durant getting his jersey retired?
grin.gif

capt.eb01b935f461438db07ef4e77fc26c94.texas_tech_texas_basketball_txes109.jpg
As an individual...he's probably one of...if not the the most storied player in their history. Or are you one of those people who believe that individuals shouldn't get recognized unless the team won a championship or something.

Nah im not one of those types, and i am a big fan of KD, but i just dont see how a "one and done" could have a big enough impact to have his numberretired? and your right KD is by far the most talented player in UT history and maybe that is why they retired his jersey!
ohwell.gif

Doesn't make a difference, im happy for him nonetheless
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by jville819

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

ACC POY is really between Teague, Hansbrough and Lawson. Rice, Douglas and McClinton might all get left out not only off the POY talks, but first team as well, which is pretty wild.
I only got a problem with you putting Lawson ahead of the latter players. Lawson has been outplayed by every elite guard in the ACC and all of UNC losses have come against the best PG's who Lawson struggles against.

I know I probably sound like a Homer which I'll admit but there is no way I could give Lawson the POY award ahead of Teague, Rice or Douglas. Yea he's lead the TarHeels to a great season but that was expected of them. They weren't even supposed to lose this season. Both Rice and Douglas' teams were picked to finish 9th and 10th i believe while many people said that Wake was too young to challenge.

I think Teague will win it but I hope Toney balls out and we can win 2 outta our last 3.
It wasn't really based on my opinion on who should win, but rather who realistically has a shot.Hansbrough shouldn't really be in the discussion, but he's still averaging 21 and 8, and he's still Hansbrough.
I hope Teague wins it, but I know there's a strong bias for the Heels, so if any non-UNC player outside of Teague won it, I'd be surprised.

My bad I must've misread. I thought you were stating the players you thought should win. I agree with you about a Tar Heel winning it or Teague. All othersare on the outside looking in.

It's %#$#*% but it's the reality of the situation.

If Thornton couldn't win a couple years ago, Douglass doesn't have a chance. Jack's been my favorite player in the ACC the last 2 or 3 years, buthe's basically in the same boat, and Tyrese had a better claim at it last year.

It's a great night when Clemson falls and South Carolina wins.

Now we need to win at Vanderbilt and home against Tennessee to clinch the East I think.

grin.gif

As an individual...he's probably one of...if not the the most storied player in their history. Or are you one of those people who believe that individuals shouldn't get recognized unless the team won a championship or something.

ya but with one season and what was it a 1st or 2nd round march exit tho?

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

grin.gif

Like I said...depends on if you're one of those people who feels like team success should be looked at over individual success when rewarding anindividual. At the end of the day...you'd be hard pressed to find someone who was better than Kevin Durant at the University of Texas and I thinkthat's what it boils down too.

10...20 years from now...unless some other phenom shows up in Austin and someone were to ask..."who was the best player to ever play @ Texas?" Whowould you say? If the answer is Durant...would it make retiring his jersey seem that outlandish?

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

grin.gif

Like I said...depends on if you're one of those people who feels like team success should be looked at over individual success when rewarding an individual. At the end of the day...you'd be hard pressed to find someone who was better than Kevin Durant at the University of Texas and I think that's what it boils down too.

10...20 years from now...unless some other phenom shows up in Austin and someone were to ask..."who was the best player to ever play @ Texas?" Who would you say? If the answer is Durant...would it make retiring his jersey seem that outlandish?

your're right, because another thing i realized, is that KD did win NPOY! so individually he accomplished A LOT in that one year. I know at UNC if you winNPOY you get your number retired, regardless of how many years you played there..so if he meets the requirement at one of the most storied programs in historyof cbb, i guess it's warranted that he gets his number retired at UT!

like i stated before, doesn't make a difference and im happy for him nonetheless
happy.gif

fam, he was there 1 year.

that's ridiculous.
He must droppin off a helluva endowment to the school.
Anyone have a figure on any donations from Durant?

Originally Posted by MDterps4

There are just too many got damn Duke fans around that root for them for no other reason than their history of winning (no affiliation with the state of NC or the University). Duke fans are pretty much the Yankees/Cowboys of college basketball, it seems like everyone likes them. Whatever, I'm tired of arguing with fans of ACC rivals. I'm just going to enjoy the final month of this great sport.
Too many Duke fans?

Are you serious? Duke is probably the most HATED team in all of college basketball.

Take a poll on here and I bet you 8 out of every 10 people on NT hate Duke.

I mean Jesus, they've been voted the most hated team in the nation so how can they be loved everywhere?
Tyrese had a better claim at it last year.
I don't think so.

They didn't have wins over Duke, UNC and FSU last year.

I mean yeah, he scored more last year, but this has been his best season as a all around player this year.

Even Allen would have to admit that.

happy.gif

And all hate aside, if Hansbrough gets the Award. It would be a travesty. Though, I don't really see a situation where he DOESN'T get it, esp after hebreaks JJ's ACC scoring record.

Originally Posted by MBen32

I know at UNC if you win NPOY you get your number retired, regardless of how many years you played there..so if he meets the requirement at one of the most storied programs in history of cbb, i guess it's warranted that he gets his number retired at UT!
You sure about what UNC does ?

BTW .... Antawn Jamison went back and got his degree , I don't think you can use MJ as a regular situation

Originally Posted by JoeClear

Originally Posted by MBen32

I know at UNC if you win NPOY you get your number retired, regardless of how many years you played there..so if he meets the requirement at one of the most storied programs in history of cbb, i guess it's warranted that he gets his number retired at UT!
You sure about what UNC does ?

BTW .... Antawn Jamison went back and got his degree , I don't think you can use MJ as a regular situation

To have his jersey retired, a North Carolina player must win a widely recognized national player of the year award. Men's basketball player must win one of the following six awards
Durant won just about every single one of those his freshmen year
laugh.gif

So due to that, i would say a retired jersey was warranted at a less traditional basketball program like Texas
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

that's ridiculous.
And in that one year he established himself as the best player ever to play in that program and won almost every individual award that therewas...is it arguable? Yes...ridiculous? No...I don't understand what's outrageous about a player who can make a claim to be the best player EVER in aprogram's history...getting his number retired regardless if he was there for a year or not.

it just seems wack to retire someone's jersey after one year.

i dunno, it'd be like KG retiring right now and the Celtics retiring his jersey.

I just never liked doing it so soon. Give him 10 years or something.

Not when it's his second year as a pro.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

that's ridiculous.
And in that one year he established himself as the best player ever to play in that program and won almost every individual award that there was...is it arguable? Yes...ridiculous? No...I don't understand what's outrageous about a player who can make a claim to be the best player EVER in a program's history...getting his number retired regardless if he was there for a year or not.
Dumb argument. Carmelo is probably the best player in the history of Syracuse basketball andhasn't had his number retired yet and he helpedthem win a 'chip in his only year.

UT basketball has no tradition or they would have waited longer to do such a thing.

Back
Top Bottom