The College Basketball Post

Meeks with a below average game...only 22.

good games from Pat and Perry, good to see Liggins back out there.

Jared Carter playing, you know Georgia sucks.

back in the top 25 soon.
nerd.gif

wildKYcat wrote:
damn, you kinda hard on him...i think he's been playing solid all season, esp now that he's learned to play with Pat. they work the @#$# outta that high-low.

but i ain't really asking to much outta Stevenson...block some shots, grab some boards, and get some dunks.

I just expected a bigger season out of him because of the way he started playing in the second half of last season. What aggravates me sometimes with him iswhen he catches the ball under the basket, instead of just going straight up and hammering it, he'll pump fake or somethin then end up not getting a shotout of it or getting fouled.

Jared Carter gettin a block
smh.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

If we had a big time point guard and decent center we would be a good team. The IQ's of some of these players is just pathetic (Dele, Evans) Plus there are plenty of guys over matched (Ty, Phil) Half of the time Justin just doesn't care and plays 60%. DJ and Paris are both good players, but def. not number 1 and 2 options. Malik's an efficient point guard, but he shouldn't be playing 38 minutes a game. He would be most effective in that Russel Robinson type role. I like Q, I think he'll develop into a good player. The staff has to go, they're way over their heads.
Co-F'n-Sign to what you said about the Bball IQ of Evans and Coker. Especially Evans this dude thinks he can dribble. And am I the only onewho thinks he always plays out of control? I've never seen him play under control by any means. I'd rather see Rob Thomas get some of Coker'sminutes.

Good game for us yesterday. Played really good defense on Gody. I was really impressed when we sustained their runs and kept the lead.
You can give Gody and Mcalarney there 20+ but containing the other guys like Ayers and Jackson are what will win you the game. You already know how terribletheir defense is. AO pushed around whoever they had on him. But he is still too mechanical.

Great game to be at. 30,000 plus. It was sooo +#!%++# loud in there. Now Lousiville after Pitt is a huge at home.

Finally Louisville played to their potential. They can beat anyone in the country with their talent. They just need to use it better. As Williams and Clark go,so does their team.

UCLA is wack this year. I don't see them doing much. Their offense is awful. No movement, a lot of Collison iso then making a decision. ASU beat them attheir own game, but not sure how good they are still.

Don't even want to comment on how bad G'Town game was.
smh.gif

Marquette was impressive.... Xaviers brother going on the court.
roll.gif

Wake is becoming my favorite team to watch. They are really solid. They have the guards and size to beat ANYONE. Teague is a great scorer. The way he stays upin the air and draws contact and gets his shot off is amazing. Johnson + Aminu is a nice front court with the big white guy who can finish. I like them aheadof anyone.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

The Fayetteville Observer

Phantom technical helps Duke top Georgetown

By Dan Wiederer
Staff writer
ADVERTISEMENT
Story Photo
AP photo

DURHAM - There's just no way around it. Basketball official John Cahill owes Georgetown an apology. He owes Greg Monroe an apology.

In the second half of a Saturday afternoon street-fight at Cameron Indoor Stadium between two of the nation's elite teams, it was Cahill's irritability that somehow provided the biggest momentum shift.

Players are supposed to change games. Coaches, too. But not referees.

And so as Monroe left Cameron still shaking his head over a 76-67 loss and still confused by the most ridiculous technical foul he'd ever received, you hoped Cahill was somewhere nearby hammering out a heartfelt "I'm sorry."

Here's how it all went down: No. 13 Georgetown was in the middle of a second-half run, cutting a 44-29 Duke lead to four points.

The Hoyas were playing with fire, executing with poise. But then with 15:08 to play, freshman Henry Sims was called for a foul while going for an offensive rebound.

Georgetown coach John Thompson III took exception with the whistle and let Cahill know it. Cahill let Thompson know he wasn't in the mood.

And then, just seconds later, as Duke's Nolan Smith was bringing the ball up the floor, Cahill inexplicably blew his whistle, pointed at Monroe on the bench and called a technical foul.

Monroe looked confused at first, then stood up with eyes the size of hubcaps.

"I didn't say anything," he protested, pointing to the flock of Georgetown fans directly behind him. "I didn't say anything. I didn't say anything."

Cahill didn't seem to care. He heard something from the vicinity of the Georgetown bench and it was enough for him to give Monroe the "T."

Never mind that the veteran official wasn't even looking at the Hoyas bench at the time. Never mind that Monroe appeared to be sitting quietly, his mouth sealed shut.

The mysterious technical had just given Monroe his fourth foul of the game. And he was forced to sit there for the next 3 minutes frozen with a disbelieving stare.

"I don't even believe (Cahill) was really looking at the bench," Monroe said later. "But I know I didn't say anything. I can't say if I heard someone else. But I know I definitely didn't say anything."

So what happened next? Duke's Jon Scheyer made the two technical free throws to start a 15-3 Duke run. Eleven of those points came with Monroe on the bench.

It may not have been the knockout blow, but it certainly flustered the Hoyas while simultaneously allowing the Devils to gather themselves.

"That kind of stopped the game for a while," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "And maybe we righted the ship."

The Blue Devils won Saturday because they held the lead for the final 24 minutes. They won because Gerald Henderson made his first seven shots and scored 17 of his 23 points in the first half. They won because Kyle Singler continued to a relentless rebounder, grabbing 16 of Duke's 32 boards.
But the game certainly could have been different had Georgetown had the services of their dynamic freshman big man for just a few more minutes.
Not surprising. We all know they get all calls in Durham, especially when it gets too close for their comfort.

I like how that article didn't even mention anything about Duke shooting less free throws in the game than Georgetown

Originally Posted by JoeClear

I like how that article didn't even mention anything about Duke shooting less free throws in the game than Georgetown
....cause we haven't been shooting more than almost everyone this year....who went to the basket more?

That article was about 1 call and had nothing to do with what was happening on the floor.

How many times a game to we see Duke's bench go crazy about a call? Ask yourself if that same call would be made on them?

If it was, there would have been hell to pay...No surprise III has taken the high road.

Bilas posted his blog about it being wrong also, and in the post and times. But it's a dead issue now.

Home teams win tonight. Although I do believe Syracuse has the right personnel to give Pitt some trouble

[h2]What You Need To Know[/h2]
Northwestern got a Big Ten win.

Hashem Thabeet dominated Seton Hall.

Here's Monday morning's What You Need To Know:

Notable game from Sunday: Northwestern beat Minnesota 74-65 to snap a streak of 18 consecutive losses to ranked opponents. Craig Moore led the Wildcats with a 22-point effort that featured six 3-pointers. The result was Minnesota's first road loss, and now the Gophers head into this week's game against Purdue with a 16-2 record (4-2 in the Big Ten). Meantime, Northwestern is 9-6 (1-4 in the Big Ten).

Notable performance from Sunday: Hasheem Thabeet finished with 15 points and 17 rebounds in Connecticut's 76-61 victory over Seton Hall. It was his eighth double-double of the season, and it marked the third time the 7-foot-3 center has notched at least 15 points and 15 rebounds in the same game. Thabeet also did it against Western Carolina and Buffalo.

Notable game scheduled for Monday: The Big East's trend of matching ranked teams seemingly every other day continues with Syracuse at Pittsburgh, two schools ranked in the top 10 of the Top 25 (and one). The Orange are 17-2 (5-1 in the Big East) and coming off a win over Notre Dame. The Panthers are 16-1 (4-1 in the Big East) and coming off a loss at Louisville. Tip-off is set for 7 pm ET.

[h3]Player of the Week: Jodie Meeks, Jr., G, Kentucky Wildcats[/h3]
The race for the player of the week honor was over Tuesday night -- no one was going to top Jodie Meeks' monster performance. Meeks was sensational, scoring 54 points, making all 14of his free throw attempts, converting 10 of 15 3s, scoring on 15 of 22 shots, grabbing eight boards, dishing out four assists with only one turnover, snaringa steal and committing only two fouls.

The best news of all for Kentucky was that the Wildcats won the game, too. Kentucky and Meeks did two things with the win over the Vols: both establishedthemselves as potentially the SEC's best.

Meeks is no fluke. He had a sports hernia injury a year ago, which is why he played only 11 games. Had he been healthy, the Wildcats wouldn't havestruggled as much as they did. Meeks had shown he could go off this season, too. He scored 46 against Appalachian State in Louisville earlier this season. Hescored 28 on Louisville, 21 on Vanderbilt. He's a scorer and he'll fill up the stat sheet quite often for the Wildcats this season, while leading themback to the NCAA tournament.

The rest of the starting rotation this week:

ncb_a_calathes_200.jpg

AP Photo/Phil Sandlin

Nick Calathes is doing a little of everything for the Gators.

Nick Calathes, So, G, Florida: Calathes is carrying the Gators. He scored 28points (on 11-of-18 shooting), grabbed 10 boards, dished out seven assists and committed four turnovers in Florida's convincing win over Arkansas. Earlierin the week at Auburn, Calathes scored 17 points and grabbed nine boards, though he did have six turnovers to only five assists.

Jeff Teague, So., G, Wake Forest: Teague continues his campaign for ACC Player ofthe Year and first-team All-American. He started out the week with 34 points in a win over North Carolina, then followed that up with 29 in a road win atBoston College and concluded it with 24 in a road win at Clemson. He got to the free throw line 41 times, making 33, in the three games. Teague commandscontact and converts.

Terrence Williams, Sr., F, Louisville: Williams nearly had a triple-double with 24points, 16 boards and eight assists in 43 minutes in a win over Notre Dame Monday night. Williams followed that up with 20 points and seven boards in athrilling comeback win over Pitt. The Cards needed not only Williams' senior leadership, but more importantly, his production for their current five-gamewin streak that included victories over Kentucky, Notre Dame and Pitt at home and Villanova on the road.

Blake Griffin, So, F, Oklahoma: Griffin is the favorite to win the national playerof the year award as he continues to dominate his position. He started the week with 20 points and 10 boards in a win over Texas. He then took up space andscored 16 and grabbed six boards in a foul-plagued (four) effort at Texas A&M. The Sooners won both and are the team to beat in the Big 12.
[h3]Team of the Week: Wake Forest Demon Deacons[/h3]Last week: Beat North Carolina 92-89; won at Boston College 83-63; wonat Clemson 78-68.
Just look at those three games above. How many teams this season have had as good a week as Wake? The job Dino Gaudio and his Wake Forest staff are doing isphenomenal. There is tremendous cohesion with this group -- it is a selfless crew in the locker room, a group that feels a bit edgy after falling flat lastseason once it beat Duke. Not making the postseason last season was the best thing that could've happened to this group. The coaches have nurtured freshmanAl-Farouq Aminu, and made sure Tony Woods and even seldom-used Ty Walker bought into the team concept. They have a superstar in Jeff Teague, a matchup nightmare in James Johnson and plenty of rugged role players, including Chas McFarland. Selecting Meeks as player of the week and Wake Forest as team of the week maybe the easiest choices for this column all season.
[h3]Hot, hot, hot[/h3]Marquette: The Golden Eagles are 5-0 in the Big East after their win over Providence. Marquette hasanswered every challenge so far in the Big East. It will get incredibly tougher, but so far there's no reason to believe Marquette won't survive.
Mississippi State: The Bulldogs beat rival Alabama and Vanderbilt and have assumed favorite status in the SEC West with a 3-0 start.

Northern Iowa: The Panthers have won six in a row and are 4-0 on the road in the Missouri Valley with wins at Southern Illinois (theirfirst in 11 years), at Creighton (first in 12 years), at Evansville (handing the Aces their first home loss of the season) and at Drake, a game in which UNIwas ahead by 37 at one point. The Panthers are in first place in the Valley at 6-1.

Duke: The Blue Devils are defending as well as they have at any point in the season. Duke won at Georgia Tech and ran away from Georgetownthis past week. Duke can lay claim to a potential No. 1 spot in the poll, a share of first place in the ACC and a bid to be a No. 1 seed if this continues.

Butler: What Davidson is to the Southern Conference and Gonzaga is to the WCC, Butler has become to the Horizon -- a lock to dominate everyseason. Butler is off to a 16-1 start, and is 7-0 in the Horizon after winning two straight games on the road last week at Loyola, Ill., and UIC.

Michigan State: The Breslin Center was rocking as well as any arena in the country for the Illinois game Saturday afternoon. And with goodreason: the Spartans are rolling. With wins this past week at Penn State and over the Illini, MSU moved to 15-2 (5-0 Big Ten).

Florida: The Gators won at Auburn and beat Arkansas at home to continue their roll of late. Florida is getting much more balanced play andis putting itself in position for a potential showdown, once again with Kentucky, for the SEC East if Tennessee can't shake its funk.

Minnesota: The Gophers lost the Big Ten opener to Michigan State. Since then, they've reeled off four wins in a row, including amonster victory at Wisconsin in overtime last week. The Gophers are an amazing 16-1.

Connecticut: The Huskies roared through a three-game road trip in the Big East that started out at West Virginia, went through Cincinnatiand this past week ended at St. John's.

George Mason: The Patriots are set up for a showdown at Northeastern on Wednesday night after moving to 7-0 in the CAA with a win overJames Madison. NU got clipped at Hofstra late, but still has only one loss in the league.

Long Beach State: Dan Monson has some good karma flowing on the beach. The 49ers are 5-0 in the Big West after beating CalState-Northridge. This is the best start in the Big West for Long Beach State since the 1999-2000 season, when the 49ers went 9-0.

Oklahoma: Beating Texas and Texas A&M in the same week is good stuff for the Sooners in their quest to be the Big 12 champs and apotential No. 1 seed.
[h3]Bizarre stat[/h3]Auburn sports information director Chuck Gallina provides this odd sequence during Saturday's win over Alabama:"With 15:51 remaining in the first half and Auburn holding a 13-6 lead on Alabama, Auburn's DeWayne Reed stole the ball from Alabama's Mikhail Torrance, drove down the court, was intentionally fouled on a layup … that went in[for two points]. Reed then made the two foul shots [from the intentional foul]. The Tigers then had possession and Auburn's Frankie Sullivan made a 3-pointer … all for a seven-point possession for the Tigers. Withonly nine seconds elapsed from the clock, Auburn increased a 13-6 lead to 20-6."[h3]Signature wins[/h3]Louisville over Pitt: The Cardinals needed something to say that they are still a Final Four threat.This was it.
Arizona State over UCLA: The Sun Devils needed a win that said they should be taken seriously in the Pac-10 race. This was it.

allen3xis wrote:
Home teams win tonight. Although I do believe Syracuse has the right personnel to give Pitt some trouble

Yea I like how the matchup. It'll be close, but if SU can get them in foul trouble they would pull it out.

Dre and Mike combined forces? Christ. Step away from the cubicles.

what I think of this thread right now..

n66100182_31307654_68.jpg

Back
Top Bottom