Teixeira to Yankees...

Originally Posted by CurtisCarter23

%%@* Scott Boras, %%@* Mark Tiexiera, and %%@* the Yankees!! They are a @+@%%#@ joke... Its gonna be hilarious when that 200+million payroll goes down the drain when a team with a 43 million dollar payroll is gonna win your division.
I ain't mad at em, but I can't wait to see the outcry when the Rays win the division again...

Their pitching staff is better, and they really only need one impact bat to put that lineup over the top... Abreu, Burrell, Bradley, Dunn... There's stillPLENTY to be had, too...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

%%@* Scott Boras, %%@* Mark Tiexiera, and %%@* the Yankees!! They are a @+@%%#@ joke... Its gonna be hilarious when that 200+million payroll goes down the drain when a team with a 43 million dollar payroll is gonna win your division.
I ain't mad at em, but I can't wait to see the outcry when the Rays win the division again...

Their pitching staff is better, and they really only need one impact bat to put that lineup over the top... Abreu, Burrell, Bradley, Dunn... There's still PLENTY to be had, too...
I cant wait for that either... Honestly if the Yankees dont win 100-110 games and the WS they should be the laughing stock of sports! <--assuming they stay healthy all season.

smh.gif
smh.gif

I hate baseball. Fans of about 25 teams in the league should hate this sport and MLB. Freakin' stupid.

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

I hope this doesn't mean we're gonna trade Juan Miranda.

Please keep this guy and move him to the OF. PLEASE.
Now that you mention it, I wonder if his days are numbered...

The Yankees have their OF of the future in Austin Jackson and a catcher/DH/1B of the future in JesusMontero...they may end up peddling Miranda in exchange for a pitcher

FYI. The Yankees weren't the first team to give out 100 and 200 million dollar contracts. That belongs to the L.A. Dodgers and Texas Rangers respectively.
True, although funny Kevin Brown only need five years to end up with the Yankees at the back end of that contract, and Arod needed only 3 years toend up with the Yankees in the middle of his contract.

I hate baseball. Fans of about 25 teams in the league should hate this sport and MLB. Freakin' stupid.

It's the most flawed system in sports and sadly that includes NHL. Give credit to those agents, this is their sport and they have completely taken it over. And as usual, Joe Fan pays for it.

I know, I can't blame the players for taking the contracts nor even the teams for exploiting a flawed system. Just sucks when you see contracts like thatgiven out, and you cheer for one of the majority of teams that could never afford to even consider that.

Their pitching staff is better, and they really only need one impact bat to put that lineup over the top... Abreu, Burrell, Bradley, Dunn... There's still PLENTY to be had, too...
I cant wait for that either... Honestly if the Yankees dont win 100-110 games and the WS they should be the laughing stock of sports! <-- assuming they stay healthy all season.
Let's say hypothetically, I was to tell you i'm close to people in the D-Rays front office, and after hearing this news the reaction was"Geez!
eek.gif
sick.gif
ohwell.gif
"

What would you say then?

they have the most expensives tickets , most expensive park , they have their own network and they are highest valued team in sports .If they didnt try to winevery year , the fan would not stand for it .They are just putting all the revenue back into the team .Whats the problem with that .If your team could do itthey would.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

FYI. The Yankees weren't the first team to give out 100 and 200 million dollar contracts. That belongs to the L.A. Dodgers and Texas Rangers respectively.
True, although funny Kevin Brown only need five years to end up with the Yankees at the back end of that contract, and Arod needed only 3 years to end up with the Yankees in the middle of his contract.

It's the most flawed system in sports and sadly that includes NHL. Give credit to those agents, this is their sport and they have completely taken it over. And as usual, Joe Fan pays for it.
Soccer?

And the Yankees aren't the only team that can afford him... They're just the only ones willing to take the hit to do so. Why aren't we praising ateam that does whatever it takes to win for it's fans instead of moaning and whining when our team refuses to take that extra step.

Yes, there are no salary caps but it's not like there arent salary penalties and roster limits. You make a bad contract decision and you're usuallystuck with that player for the extent of time outlined in his agreement, unless you can peddle him off on a more foolish franchise. I love the D-Rays and formany years was the only D-Rays supporter on here (I could afford to cheer for them even though I'm from NY and root for the Yankees and Mets -- not so much-- because they sucked so much and I got a ton of free TB stuff) but the only reason theyre even in the position theyre in now is because they were awful forsoooo many years. Not good personnel or money management decisions... When you're dead last for 8 years you're going to get the #1 pick every year. Eventually that pans out.

The Red Sox and several other franchises spend JUST AS MUCH money as the Yankees. Side by side, the difference in payrolls isnt that much when you considerit. What it is is bitterness, jealousy, and hate. Moves like this don't highlight any flaw in the system. You're going to have to look at things ona grander overall scale if you want to do that, not just point fingers at the Steinbrenners. The only owners (aside from Tampa and Chicago's) who evenseem to have any passion for the game any more.

Whats the problem with that .If your team could do it they would.
See, this is where my issue occurs. I have people tell me that "it is the Pirates choice not to spend the money", and that ownershipcan do what they want with the money. However, it isn't a fair playing field, it isn't like MLB takes a "free market" approach. The Piratescouldn't move to NY or Chicago and go to a larger market if they "felt like it". It would have to be approved by owners, go through legalissues, etc. It is a conflict of interest, MLB allows larger market teams to exploit their large fanbase/city and revenue, however smaller teams have no wayof getting to a larger market or customer base. Teams like KC, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Minnesota, etc. are locked in to where they are. There is no way for themto get out of it, and even if they put the money back into the team and spent as much as they could, they could never match revenues of Boston, Chicago, NY,etc. I do NOT have issues with teams exploiting the system like they do, I understand. My issue is with a league that year in and year out allows it to beanti-competitive for so many teams. Sure some strike lightning every once in a while, but it is the "same characters" battling for playoffs year inand year out.

Originally Posted by JoE TwEnTy1

Small market teams should actually thank the Yankees. Signing Tex means Manny has no where to go and might have to take a lesser deal somewhere else. That means Dunn, Burell and Bradley might come cheap to many teams.
What a %%$@+$* prize that is...
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Nako XL

I cant wait for that either... Honestly if the Yankees dont win 100-110 games and the WS they should be the laughing stock of sports! <-- assuming they stay healthy all season.
Let's say hypothetically, I was to tell you i'm close to people in the D-Rays front office, and after hearing this news the reaction was "Geez!
eek.gif
sick.gif
ohwell.gif
"

What would you say then?
who DIDNT react that way? what does that even mean?

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

True, although funny Kevin Brown only need five years to end up with the Yankees at the back end of that contract, and Arod needed only 3 years to end up with the Yankees in the middle of his contract.

Soccer?

And the Yankees aren't the only team that can afford him... They're just the only ones willing to take the hit to do so. Why aren't we praising a team that does whatever it takes to win for it's fans instead of moaning and whining when our team refuses to take that extra step.

Yes, there are no salary caps but it's not like there arent salary penalties and roster limits. You make a bad contract decision and you're usually stuck with that player for the extent of time outlined in his agreement, unless you can peddle him off on a more foolish franchise. I love the D-Rays and for many years was the only D-Rays supporter on here (I could afford to cheer for them even though I'm from NY and root for the Yankees and Mets -- not so much -- because they sucked so much and I got a ton of free TB stuff) but the only reason theyre even in the position theyre in now is because they were awful for soooo many years. Not good personnel or money management decisions... When you're dead last for 8 years you're going to get the #1 pick every year. Eventually that pans out.

The Red Sox and several other franchises spend JUST AS MUCH money as the Yankees. Side by side, the difference in payrolls isnt that much when you consider it. What it is is bitterness, jealousy, and hate. Moves like this don't highlight any flaw in the system. You're going to have to look at things on a grander overall scale if you want to do that, not just point fingers at the Steinbrenners. The only owners (aside from Tampa and Chicago's) who even seem to have any passion for the game any more.

If you don't think that a move like this highlights a flaw in the system you have blinders on.

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Whats the problem with that .If your team could do it they would.
See, this is where my issue occurs. I have people tell me that "it is the Pirates choice not to spend the money", and that ownership can do what they want with the money. However, it isn't a fair playing field, it isn't like MLB takes a "free market" approach. The Pirates couldn't move to NY or Chicago and go to a larger market if they "felt like it". It would have to be approved by owners, go through legal issues, etc. It is a conflict of interest, MLB allows larger market teams to exploit their large fanbase/city and revenue, however smaller teams have no way of getting to a larger market or customer base. Teams like KC, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Minnesota, etc. are locked in to where they are. There is no way for them to get out of it, and even if they put the money back into the team and spent as much as they could, they could never match revenues of Boston, Chicago, NY, etc. I do NOT have issues with teams exploiting the system like they do, I understand. My issue is with a league that year in and year out allows it to be anti-competitive for so many teams. Sure some strike lightning every once in a while, but it is the "same characters" battling for playoffs year in and year out.
Like I said before, I really believe a salary cap is coming. I just have the feeling owners will finally say enough is enough. As soon as thecurrent CBA expires, the owners need to dig in...and start scouting replacement players, which is fine by me. The system needs to be changed so every club hasthe same opportunity to compete. Also, don't forget, the fan has ultimate control here. How. If enough people stop going to games and buyingmerchandise, it can have an effect.

You make a bad contract decision and you're usually stuck with that player for the extent of time outlined in his agreement, unless you can peddle him off on a more foolish franchise.
See, this DOES expose the flaws in the system. NY or Boston can pay a foolish amount of money to a player that doesn't pan out, and itdoesn't cripple the team for years. A small market team would be handcuffed and not able to do anything. My dislike is not just for the Yankees, but forall large market teams. But again, that really is more pointed towards MLB for allowing the ridiculous system to be in place.

Back
Top Bottom