Stern wants age limit raised to 20.

One additional year of college isn't going to make a world of difference....but 20 is a nice even number
laugh.gif

For Monta Ellis, dude should have gone to college and take ESL classes
laugh.gif

Seriously, I see people saying things like "Lebron needed to go to college to develop his jumper" and I'm like
smh.gif
When you go to the NBA, you are a professional....you get the best of the best when it comes to coaching and training. If he would have went to Duke orwherever he wouldn't have gained a thing. It's really a maturity thing that players benefit the most from...but some players like Lebron, Kobe, and KGwere mentally ready to enter while players like Kwame, Leon Smith, and Tyrus Thomas were not

Originally Posted by chikickz

Originally Posted by CurtisCarter23

he just seems so holier than thou, and smug!

Why? For the most part, David Stern is right. He was right about the dress code. He was right about the 1 year out of high school rule. He's not infallible, but many of these proposals are good for the league.
Smug is thinking you are right and ignoring every critic as if they are stupid or naive. This isn't Stern. He listens to the players. Remember the composite ball? It's gone. A smug commish would have ignored the players and stuck to the original decision.

U make a great point about the ball situation! but he did wait a while before he did something about the ball situation. I hate that he wont change the"on court during fight rule" its like cmon give me a @$+#%+* break with this $+%$! Dont tell me that its ok to suspend a guy just because, during afight that is taking place on the other side of the court he leaves the bench and stands a couple feet away from his bench!

Originally Posted by rocboys

Originally Posted by kidoopz

Originally Posted by rocboys

Originally Posted by kidoopz

So whats the point of staying another year in college?? To Improve the game of basketball??? How so.. How does one more year guarantee you as ready for the NBA?? In my opinion, you need more then 3 years experience in the college, and then 2 years in the NBA, to be ready to officially play in the league.. College does prep you to a certain extent, but if your like Kevin Durant and your just dominating every aspect of the game, what could you possibly come back to and improve on??? Strength?? When you play the game, you can instantly figure out what aspect of strength you need to address b/c your playing against NBA players..

And stop using the Kwame Brown argument.. There are plenty 3 year and 4 year college players who don't even SEE the floor.. And there are plenty of High School players who are way better then those experienced college players.. Monta Ellis, Kobe, Lebron, Al Jefferson ETC..

All that said... I would rather see the High School rule implemented instead of the one year thing.. The colleges are getting punished for these one and done dudes and the players are really the only ones benefiting..

Why can't this be like soccer.. I don't see those 17 or 18 year olds messing up the game...

you know that Kobe was on the bench most of the time his rookie year right? it took a while for him to develop.

Exactly.. It takes you at least 2 years in the NBA to be ready to play the NBA game.. Regardless if your a high school stud or a college player..

it took him 12 years or maybe more to be a teammate and off the court, he doesn't have many friends.

For Monta Ellis, dude should have gone to college and take ESL classes. Lebron has nice drive to the post but other than that his game is very very ugly and the Finals rating would be an all-time low if he's in the Finals again.
Are you 12?

laugh.gif
Do you even realize how ridiculous you sound...

They ask for one year...people cry.

If you give em 2 years...you people are still going to find some excuse as it to why it needs to be improved still.

At the end...1 or 2 years...doesn't do @+++ for the NBA. It improves college ball cause we get to see big time players...but how is it improving theleague?

What about guys who spend 4 years in college and struggle...do we need to implement a new rule to keep them in school longer?

Every keeps bringing up that for every Lebron there is a Kwame...well for every Brandon Roy there is a Luke Jackson.

Basketball is a sport where you have to judge individually...you can't categorize groups of guys together

stern is always worried about image. hows about we worry about the game?
This helps the game, for every Lebron, theres 20 complete busts who end up not playing because they don't have the fundamentals down. If youmake kids go to school for 2 years, they're going to get substantial playing time for coaches who are more willing to teach these kids than NBA coaches.Plus, right now, if you're a college star and you're gonna make the NBA jump after 1 season, you don't even need to attend one of your classes inthe spring semester. This forces kids to get into the classroom more and maybe learn something about the world.

Plus this would improve the college game, imagine how good Kevin Durant would be at Texas this year.
pimp.gif

ratings are up this season? if san antoino and cleveland repeat in the finals, no one will watch. again.

that's it right there. you had the face of the league in the finals, on free tv, and nobody watched. stupid age limits won't make a difference inmaking the league better, because if you can't play, you won't see the court. you'll just warm pine all night. high school kids get drafted, theycan't play, so they sit on the bench. that's ruining the game? as opposed to everyone else who is warming the bench? if they want to improve theleague, they know what they have to do. stuff like this does very little to help the problem of bad basketball.

seriously, what's better for the league? sending kids to college to pimp the system for a year or two, or getting rid of the bad officiating, the floppingetc.?

to think if players like lebron, kg, kobe, tmac, all went to college...would their games be different

I like it. I hate having to find out about all the new freshman, every year. It's like a different NCAA every year.

Im kind of 50/50 on this topic. But in terms of being taught the game and actual "coaching" College>NBA. Learning the fundamentals ofbasketball is what College is for. They dont really have time to teach you what you should have learned already in highschool and college. NBA coaches havemore to worry about. At the same time college is not for everyone. And for those who think Kevin Durant was ready out of high school, you need to rethink that.KD developed at UT in to the player he is. Going there got his swag up. He got the reps he needed for his development, which he wouldnt have in the NBA. Im nottalking about reps in practice or when youre putting up shots by yourself. Im talking about in game situations.

Originally Posted by AirVandal180

I think professional athletes should at least be required to get a degree because they can be draft eligible. Sports won't last forever for them.
I think this is Stern's ultimate plan

I would be interested to see if someone could post all the HS players who entered the NBA draft, or were drafted since 1995....reason being, who would you deema success or a failure? I am all for 20 being the draft elgible age....there is NOTHING wrong with it, and college hoops would be seeing even more breadbecause of it.

*edit*

1962 NBA Draft http://
[h2][edit] 1974 ABA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 1975 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 1975 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 1989 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 1995 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 1996 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 1997 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 1998 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 1999 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 2000 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 2001 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 2002 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 2003 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 2004 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] 2005 NBA Draft[/h2] http://
[h2][edit] Undrafted high schoolers to play in the NBA[/h2]

Stern gets way more credit than he deserves. Period.

My friends and I (they're all sportswriters, some for college papers, some for city papers) about him one day last year after the draft and seriously,he's one of the luckiest people in the world.

He came in as commissioner in 1984, and I'm not saying this is the sole reason, but let's not forget who else came into the NBA in 1984. So all thistalk of increased revenue, etc. Well you can thank Mr. Jordan for that, hell, you can thank him more. David Stern didn't put butts in the seats then and hedoesn't now. Stern got to start his tenure as boss right as the greatest era of professional basketball was starting. I started a topic on that the otherday and for the most part people agreed. 1984-1998, maybe stretch it to 2000, was the greatest 15-16 year span of pro basketball we've seen thus far, andmight ever see for quite some time. And Stern gets to take credit for all of that. Mike, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Pippen, Kobe, Shaq, Barkley, The Dream, Isiah,the list could go on forever. If anything, he hurt the NBA by constantly adding all these damn expansion teams, weakening the role of the 7th-10th player spot.

You want to fix the quality of the game of basketball? Youth isn't the problem. Got a ton of salty older guys in here, weekend warriors or monday morningquarterbacks as they're more commonly known, who can point out all the problems. Kevin Durant, 1 year of college ball, J.J. Redick, 4 years of collegeball. Numbers speak for themselves. Sure, you'll have some Kwame Brown's, but that's part of the game. Sam Bowie played college ball, so did Bryant"Big Country" Reeves.

And to whoever commends the dress code thing, that too, is %$@*!%$%.

For example, Allen Iverson's profession is professional basketball player for the Denver Nuggets.

Joe's profession is salesclerk at Best Buy.

Joe shows up to work, 25 minutes early, in Gym shorts and t-shirt, but yet, goes to the employee restroom and puts on his Blue polo shirt and khaki pantsbefore he steps onto the floor for work. That is Joe's uniform.

So if Allen Iverson already has a uniform he has to wear to work (NBA licensed jersey, shorts, warm ups, socks, accessories (sweatbands, headbands)), then youtell me why does he have to dress a certain way to show up to work, as long as he's in uniform when he steps onto the court.

I'll tell you why. Because Stern wants them to be "role models". That's stupid. Barkley said it best. Athlete's are not role models.

Sure kids, like myself when I was younger, look up to professional athletes, pretend we are them in the backyard, but they should not be the men we base ourlives off of. That should be your parents, mentors, etc., but that's a whole other argument on bad parenting.

Fact of the matter is, Stern is fixing all the wrong things, and had his age limit been in place 5 years ago, he would have missed out on his biggest cash cowright now, LeBron James.

There's no reason that you guys should be mad from a fan's prospective.

You guys arguing that one and done players are better than players who stayed all four years have a stupid argument. Nobody has said anywhere that in collegeball: every senior > every junior > every sophomore > every frosh.

But you can't argue that staying for 2 years, as opposed to coming straight out of h.s. will help most player's games. In college, you actually havetime to practice, work on your game, and learn the right way to play. In the nba, you have a crazy schedule, on the road all the time, and you wanna enjoy yourmillions of dollars in the offseason ballin out and spending time with family and friends.

The main key about this is POTENTIAL. Some kids have a ridiculous amount of potential, but they don't even scratch the surface of it. From a fan'sprospective, you want to see kids get as good as they can be. It makes the game more enjoyable to watch.

College ball will also raise a kid's confidence in his game. Anybody who plays sports knows that the mental part of the game is huge. College will teachthese kids leadership skills, increase their level of composure in situations, and allow them to grow even more. If you jump straight into the league with highexpectations, you get owned in a few games and turn into a benchwarmer, your confidence will be shot. Your coaches and teammates will like you less, and youwon't think as highly of yourself. At 18 years old, it's tough to rebound from that. If the same dude went to college he would be morel likely to notget owned right away, and if he did, he'd be more tough mentally to bounce back from it.

I could go on and on about this. Fans WIN in this situation. The only people that lose are the players who don't get to cash in asap.

Winners from this:
NCAA
NBA
Fans < --- (omg we win!!)

Losers:

Players

We need a new commish. The voices in this dude's head are clearly misguiding him.

That's not so much the problem. The problem is that he keeps listening to their crazy ideas.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by doyung9

Stern gets way more credit than he deserves. Period.

My friends and I (they're all sportswriters, some for college papers, some for city papers) about him one day last year after the draft and seriously, he's one of the luckiest people in the world.

He came in as commissioner in 1984, and I'm not saying this is the sole reason, but let's not forget who else came into the NBA in 1984. So all this talk of increased revenue, etc. Well you can thank Mr. Jordan for that, hell, you can thank him more. David Stern didn't put butts in the seats then and he doesn't now. Stern got to start his tenure as boss right as the greatest era of professional basketball was starting. I started a topic on that the other day and for the most part people agreed. 1984-1998, maybe stretch it to 2000, was the greatest 15-16 year span of pro basketball we've seen thus far, and might ever see for quite some time. And Stern gets to take credit for all of that. Mike, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Pippen, Kobe, Shaq, Barkley, The Dream, Isiah, the list could go on forever. If anything, he hurt the NBA by constantly adding all these damn expansion teams, weakening the role of the 7th-10th player spot.

You want to fix the quality of the game of basketball? Youth isn't the problem. Got a ton of salty older guys in here, weekend warriors or monday morning quarterbacks as they're more commonly known, who can point out all the problems. Kevin Durant, 1 year of college ball, J.J. Redick, 4 years of college ball. Numbers speak for themselves. Sure, you'll have some Kwame Brown's, but that's part of the game. Sam Bowie played college ball, so did Bryant "Big Country" Reeves.

And to whoever commends the dress code thing, that too, is %$@*!%$%.

For example, Allen Iverson's profession is professional basketball player for the Denver Nuggets.

Joe's profession is salesclerk at Best Buy.

Joe shows up to work, 25 minutes early, in Gym shorts and t-shirt, but yet, goes to the employee restroom and puts on his Blue polo shirt and khaki pants before he steps onto the floor for work. That is Joe's uniform.

So if Allen Iverson already has a uniform he has to wear to work (NBA licensed jersey, shorts, warm ups, socks, accessories (sweatbands, headbands)), then you tell me why does he have to dress a certain way to show up to work, as long as he's in uniform when he steps onto the court.

I'll tell you why. Because Stern wants them to be "role models". That's stupid. Barkley said it best. Athlete's are not role models.

Sure kids, like myself when I was younger, look up to professional athletes, pretend we are them in the backyard, but they should not be the men we base our lives off of. That should be your parents, mentors, etc., but that's a whole other argument on bad parenting.

Fact of the matter is, Stern is fixing all the wrong things, and had his age limit been in place 5 years ago, he would have missed out on his biggest cash cow right now, LeBron James.
two thumbs up!

Un-necessary.

How about we fix flopping? How about the NBA start rewarding defense again?

Back
Top Bottom