Stern wants age limit raised to 20.

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

There's no reason that you guys should be mad from a fan's prospective.

You guys arguing that one and done players are better than players who stayed all four years have a stupid argument. Nobody has said anywhere that in college ball: every senior > every junior > every sophomore > every frosh.

But you can't argue that staying for 2 years, as opposed to coming straight out of h.s. will help most player's games. In college, you actually have time to practice, work on your game, and learn the right way to play. In the nba, you have a crazy schedule, on the road all the time, and you wanna enjoy your millions of dollars in the offseason ballin out and spending time with family and friends.

The main key about this is POTENTIAL. Some kids have a ridiculous amount of potential, but they don't even scratch the surface of it. From a fan's prospective, you want to see kids get as good as they can be. It makes the game more enjoyable to watch.

College ball will also raise a kid's confidence in his game. Anybody who plays sports knows that the mental part of the game is huge. College will teach these kids leadership skills, increase their level of composure in situations, and allow them to grow even more. If you jump straight into the league with high expectations, you get owned in a few games and turn into a benchwarmer, your confidence will be shot. Your coaches and teammates will like you less, and you won't think as highly of yourself. At 18 years old, it's tough to rebound from that. If the same dude went to college he would be morel likely to not get owned right away, and if he did, he'd be more tough mentally to bounce back from it.

I could go on and on about this. Fans WIN in this situation. The only people that lose are the players who don't get to cash in asap.

Winners from this:
NCAA
NBA
Fans < --- (omg we win!!)

Losers:

Players

Why are you acting like college is some machine that you insert a player into and he AUTOMATICALLY comes out better than what he was when he went intoit?

At the end of the day...it's up to the player to put in the work to reach his potential...whether he does it in college or in the NBA?

You want to fix the quality of the game of basketball? Youth isn't the problem. Got a ton of salty older guys in here, weekend warriors or monday morning quarterbacks as they're more commonly known, who can point out all the problems. Kevin Durant, 1 year of college ball, J.J. Redick, 4 years of college ball. Numbers speak for themselves. Sure, you'll have some Kwame Brown's, but that's part of the game. Sam Bowie played college ball, so did Bryant "Big Country" Reeves.
Exactly...I see nobody has even addressed this at all yet.

Two years I think would be a good idea, they may have all the talent in the world but they don't have the right maturity level then, they need that twoextra years.

they should keep it at one yr of college. the one year of college exposes those hs frauds who would have gotten drafted, but now are doing nothing in college.Does anyone think if Kwame Brown attended Florida for that one year he would of still been drafted number one. Hell no i dont think he can even dominatecollege ball now!!! (thats another topic tho). Sure there are some kids who do not really need the year to develope, but that year helps the team that isdrafting them. It makes them certain they were what they were advertised as coming out of hs. if a kid dominates in hs...but is trash in college then no teamwill draft him. This willl allow space in the nba for someone who deserves it.

For example, Allen Iverson's profession is professional basketball player for the Denver Nuggets.

Joe's profession is salesclerk at Best Buy.

Joe shows up to work, 25 minutes early, in Gym shorts and t-shirt, but yet, goes to the employee restroom and puts on his Blue polo shirt and khaki pants before he steps onto the floor for work. That is Joe's uniform.

So if Allen Iverson already has a uniform he has to wear to work (NBA licensed jersey, shorts, warm ups, socks, accessories (sweatbands, headbands)), then you tell me why does he have to dress a certain way to show up to work, as long as he's in uniform when he steps onto the court.
You answered your own question...
Sure kids, like myself when I was younger, look up to professional athletes
And what exactly are you talking about here....
Stern is fixing all the wrong things, and had his age limit been in place 5 years ago, he would have missed out on his biggest cash cow right now, LeBron James.
Like if Bron was a one and done college player he wouldn't be the star he is today?
laugh.gif
@ Stern "missing out"

For example, Allen Iverson's profession is professional basketball player for the Denver Nuggets.

Joe shows up to work, 25 minutes early, in Gym shorts and t-shirt, but yet, goes to the employee restroom and puts on his Blue polo shirt and khaki pants before he steps onto the floor for work. That is Joe's uniform.

So if Allen Iverson already has a uniform he has to wear to work (NBA licensed jersey, shorts, warm ups, socks, accessories (sweatbands, headbands)), then you tell me why does he have to dress a certain way to show up to work, as long as he's in uniform when he steps onto the court.
The problem is, nobody's kids look up to Joe at Best Buy... Right or wrong, kids absolutely look up to and idolize professional athletes. Callit bad parenting or whatever you want, but it's 100% FACT. Other jobs have dress codes that employees have to follow, so why is David Stern made out be toa bad guy for implementing it?

Why does it bother people anyways that Allen Iverson has to wear a suit to the gym now, rather than his old jeans and a jersey or white tee that is 4 sizes toobig?
Like if Bron was a one and done college player he wouldn't be the star he is today?
laugh.gif
@ Stern "missing out"
I'm sayin...
What do you want people to say? Do college players bust out? Yes, they do. But you know the difference between guys like Luke Jackson and JJRedick compared to Ndudi Ebi, James Lang and Jonathan Bender? Luke and JJ have college degrees to fall back on. I really don't see how sending players tocollege FOR FREE is a bad thing.

As for the picture above me... I'm not even getting into that garbage.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

I'm with D. Stern on this one. It should've been 20 when they intially set the age limit.

Exactly.

As a fan of BOTH the NBA and NCAA, I'm all for this rule. I love it.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

The problem is, nobody's kids look up to Joe at Best Buy... Right or wrong, kids absolutely look up to and idolize professional athletes. Call it bad parenting or whatever you want, but it's 100% FACT. Other jobs have dress codes that employees have to follow, so why is David Stern made out be to a bad guy for implementing it?

Why does it bother people anyways that Allen Iverson has to wear a suit to the gym now, rather than his old jeans and a jersey or white tee that is 4 sizes too big?
laugh.gif
@ Stern "missing out"
I'm sayin...
What do you want people to say? Do college players bust out? Yes, they do. But you know the difference between guys like Luke Jackson and JJ Redick compared to Ndudi Ebi, James Lang and Jonathan Bender? Luke and JJ have college degrees to fall back on. I really don't see how sending players to college FOR FREE is a bad thing.

Ok then...so shouldn't your argument be make them stay for all 4 years then? Because you don't get a scholarship after 2

Ratings are up because the teams and the matchups are more compelling. I'm pretty sure that the fact that the Lakers and Celtics have a legitimate shot towin a championship is what's helping the ratings.

About the dress code... sponsors see the way that athletes are dressed. This clearly impacts the image of the league. Why would you want your product tobe associated with athletes who dress like ******. Sponsors are spending HUGE amounts of money and therefor, have INFLUENCE.

Originally Posted by fc1114

About the dress code... sponsors see the way that athletes are dressed. This clearly impacts the image of the league. Why would you want your product to be associated with athletes who dress like ******. Sponsors are spending HUGE amounts of money and therefor, have INFLUENCE.

ding ding ding...we have a winner....

also, I believe the dress code was enforced shortly after the brawl in Detroit.
Other jobs have dress codes that employees have to follow, so why is David Stern made out be to a bad guy for implementing it?

Why do people have a hard time understanding this?

Ok then...so shouldn't your argument be make them stay for all 4 years then? Because you don't get a scholarship after 2
I've never said I'd have a problem with it being 4. And I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be more than 2 years... I've thoughtfrom the beginning, if you're going to do this, make it 3 years like it is with the NFL, and make the college game more representative of the NBA game interms of shot clock, court diminsions, etc... I like the idea of making them go to college. I thought all along that one year wouldn't be enough to reallyjustify putting the rule in place to a lot of fans and players. If you're going to do this, why would you not model it off the NFL, a league that has hadthis in place for years and seemingly has the perfect set up for themselves and college football?

For right now, 2 years is better than 1. And yes, 3 would be better than 2...

Originally Posted by chikickz

Originally Posted by AirVandal180

I think professional athletes should at least be required to get a degree because they can be draft eligible. Sports won't last forever for them.

A "degree" as in a college degree or a high school diploma?

A college degree. Stern should go the extra mile and give college athletes three years minimum in college before they can be draft eligible. Antawn Jamisongot his degree in three years, so can everyone else if they really want to apply themselves and especially if they want to play in the L. It'll improve thecollege game and it'll improve their lives after basketball or whatever sport they play.

yo, i live in the hood, i had to wear a uniform at school from 3rd to 8th grade. and it made me very angry havin to walk past all my friends hustlin on thecorner wearin a button up shirt and tie, so ive always hated dress codes cuz i thought they were meaningless.

however, when i got to college i did my english 101 paper on sterns dress code sayin how bad it was. but i had a VERY hard time saying bad things about itbecause it made sense. these guys make millions of dollars, so i wouldnt really cost them anything at all to go to wal mart and buy a white shirt a black tieand some dress pants.

I heard on CNBC a few weeks ago that David Stern makes $11 million a year in base salary from the NBA.
smh.gif

It's above your head homie. For real, I didn't even post it to get into a debate with you. It's not worth it...

The exploitative market that is Division I basketball will rejoice over this. Now the kids who are desperate to get their families out of the hood can go toUniversities(who would not accept them, if it weren't for their basketball ability) and rake in big money for CBS, NBC, ESPN, ABC, and all the othercorporate sponsors that generate revenue from College Basketball. CBS has an 11 billion dollar deal with the NCAA. The coaches are getting paid millions. TheUniversity research labs are more extravagant and equipped with better technology. There are more scholarships to offer White students and other minoritystudents who didn't have to live through a pathetic public school system. Oh yes! I forgot they are getting an education that will land them in CorporateAmerica. What are the major programs graduation rates again? But then again, why am I wasting my time? This is all about the bottom line.. Now that's what I call a hustle...

i think 2 is a solid number.

3 seems too long.

for colleges 2 years insures that they dont have to deal with one and done players which is obviously better for the program and the players get 2 years todevelop and work on their games.

durant and beasley going toe to toe in the Big XII this season would have been
eek.gif

yup im all for a 20 year age limit.

if anything it makes it worse for the player because now schools get extra hyped and set up defenses just for a specific opposing player
If they're a good player they will be able to beat defenses...at least in college

And by the way I support this I don't know if it's just me but it seems like the quality of play in the NBA has improved....whether or not it's the19 year olds contributing...

also, I believe the dress code was enforced shortly after the brawl in Detroit.
to help with image control
Other jobs have dress codes that employees have to follow, so why is David Stern made out be to a bad guy for implementing it?
Why do people have a hard time understanding this?
everyone understands that, people just don't like the reason put forth as to why there should be a dress code. i like it, it doesn't meanthat it's working. what's next? no cornrows? no afros? where does it end?

Before I was opposed to this, but now I'm not very much so. Most of the time, players from HS straight to the pros aren't prepared physically andmentally to handle the rigor of the NBA. Like someone said, the NBA is a privilege, not a right

However, I think student-athletes should be paid..

1 year is good enough. If a kid feels he's ready to make the jump to the L then who are you to stop him or tell him he cant?

It's his life and he should be allowed to make his own choices.

i'm 110% for this and agree with the guy who thinks it should be extended to 3 years of cbb

then who are you to stop him or tell him he cant?

Well in this case, YOU would be David Stern, the commissioner of the league you hope to play in. Uh, anymore questions there chief?

Back
Top Bottom