Stern wants age limit raised to 20.

Originally Posted by chikickz

I'd much rather these kids focus as much time on classroom as they do the basketball court.
And by forcing them to go to school for only 2 years...they're not going to do that. A big time player is not going to give two sh*** about schoolif knows all he has to do is coast for two years and he's going to be in the league.

Either make it 4 years...or don't have it all. All this one year, two year removed nonsense is ridiculous.

If a player isn't attending class in college, then how are they qualifying academically to stay on the team?

Checkpoints. Once you are elegible after the first semester, the next checkpoint isn't until after the season. So if you go to class the first partof the year, get your grades thru, you're locked in for the season. If you know you goin pro the next year ala Durant, there's no reason for you to goto class anymore. Loophole to the nth degree.

If a player isn't attending class in college, then how are they qualifying academically to stay on the team?

It don't take much to stay academically eligible. I know at Georgetown....GEORGETOWN...one of the top schools in the country...they only have tomaintain a 2.0

EDIT - I was going to go into the semester loophole but CP outlined it perfectly

This is a great idea, I dont know people why people blame Stern for everything.

For every LeBron James you get a bunch of Kwame Browns, Gerald Greens entering the league.

Raising the age limit will make the players a bit more prepared for the NBA. It also improves the quality of the college game as well.

If this is true, it's good news in my book (whether it actually happens though who knows.....I highly doubt it).

Im all for the product, and the average age of NBA players has dropped so low in the past 2 decades that it kills the game. Lebron, KG, Kobe, etc are theexceptions. The NBA should NOT be a developmental league. And it is right now on so many levels. That's the fault of the union, the GMs, everybody.Although it would obviously be weird to see Lebron in school for 2 years. Who knows.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

For every LeBron James you get a bunch of Kwame Browns, Gerald Greens entering the league.

Raising the age limit will make the players a bit more prepared for the NBA. It also improves the quality of the college game as well.

This argument is tired...

Kwame Brown and Gerald Green aren't bringing down the quality of the league anymore than Luke Jackson and JJ Reddick are...

playing in the nfl straight from high school will get some kid killed. kevin durant is twig skinny, and he can make it in the nba right now, he could've made it right from high school. nba and nfl are two different things.
It would get kids killed now because the age limit has been in place for years. If there weren't an age limit already in place, and the NFLhad a massive influx of HS talent like the NBA has the last decade, that wouldn't be the case.

As for your argument against the dress code, it's definitely cleaning the league up. It's all part of a process. I doubt Stern figured the dress codealone would change the image, but it is part of a bigger goal and a piece to the puzzle of cleaning up the league's image. I don't see how you expectedto see immediate results from it. I'd almost assure you the league didn't expect it to single-handedly change things. But like already said, ratingsare up this year, so...

As for the going to class and academics issues, that's just something the NCAA would have to figure out. These loopholes can be ironed out, and they needto be. Change the rules so a kid can be declared ineligible mid-season if his grades aren't up to par at winter break. If a kid doesn't maintain aminimum GPA in the spring semester, declare him ineligible for games until he gets his GPA up over the summer or even the end of the fall semester, and makehim miss part of the year...Implement an NCAA-wide class attendance policy. I know a lot of schools already have coaches and assistants sitting outsideclassrooms making sure kids go to class. I know that's probably not the popular opinion on this board, but that's what I feel should be done. Thesekids are already given so many breaks just to get in school and get so many advantages in the classroom once they get there, that they don't need to bebabied even further. Take games away from kids who don't go to class or put the effort in to keep their grades up, and things will change.

What would be the point of telling Beasley, Rose, Mayo, Love, Gordon, and Bayless that they have to stay another year? Why is a 19 year old in the NBA bad?

I hope this happens, because I'm fed up of watching young players that can only do one thing well. I'm fed up of the NBA being an extension of thedevelopment league and I'm fed up of watching bad basketball.

DaJoka004 wrote:
What would be the point of telling Beasley, Rose, Mayo, Love, Gordon, and Bayless that they have to stay another year? Why is a 19 year old in the NBA bad?

Do you guarantee that each of these guys will make it and earn 50 million dollars in their life and contribute to society? Of course not. Stern is tryingto get at least two years of growth and maturity in these kids BEFORE they come into the league. Now, that doesn't guarantee they will contribute tosociety or make 50 million that way either, but it will give them 2 years of education and at least a better chance at a quality life after basketball if theydon't reach elite status in the pros. You don't think Mayo could use some growing up? You think Love is a lock to be in the NBA makin money for thenext decade? But if they each had another year in college, maybe they grow just a little more as a man and are more prepared for what will face them in theNBA. Then if they don't make it, they could have something to fall back on.

Again, there is no guarantee, it's not an exact science, but the odds are better for a young person to have a couple years of college, then it is for themto go one semester, find the loophole and then bail.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

As for the going to class and academics issues, that's just something the NCAA would have to figure out. These loopholes can be ironed out, and they need to be. Change the rules so a kid can be declared ineligible mid-season if his grades aren't up to par at winter break. If a kid doesn't maintain a minimum GPA in the spring semester, declare him ineligible for games until he gets his GPA up over the summer or even the end of the fall semester, and make him miss part of the year...Implement an NCAA-wide class attendance policy. I know a lot of schools already have coaches and assistants sitting outside classrooms making sure kids go to class.

None of that would work. Once you get past the fall semester, you don't need to attend class anymore if you plan on going pro. There is no GPAmid-semester, and it would be unfair to declare somebody ineligible based on their work before the semester ends. You can't require that students athletesgo to class because you can't require that non-student athletes go to class. Attendance can be required by a professor, but you can't single out agroup of students and tell them they have to go to class.

Originally Posted by CP1708

DaJoka004 wrote:

You don't think Mayo could use some growing up?

He's already 20 so he wouldn't apply to this...

I love the perception that the young players are contributing to the "bad basketball" in the NBA...that's comical to say the least.

Originally Posted by CP1708

DaJoka004 wrote:

Do you guarantee that each of these guys will make it and earn 50 million dollars in their life and contribute to society? Of course not. Stern is trying to get at least two years of growth and maturity in these kids BEFORE they come into the league. Now, that doesn't guarantee they will contribute to society or make 50 million that way either, but it will give them 2 years of education and at least a better chance at a quality life after basketball if they don't reach elite status in the pros. You don't think Mayo could use some growing up? You think Love is a lock to be in the NBA makin money for the next decade? But if they each had another year in college, maybe they grow just a little more as a man and are more prepared for what will face them in the NBA. Then if they don't make it, they could have something to fall back on.

Again, there is no guarantee, it's not an exact science, but the odds are better for a young person to have a couple years of college, then it is for them to go one semester, find the loophole and then bail.

You can't be serious if you actually think that one more year of college is going to benefit the guys I listed on the level you think it would. Twoyears of an education doesn't give you #**%. Four years of education doesn't give you #**%. Not everybody needs to make $50M either. $5M could get youthrough life easily if you manage your money and find some sort of job (it could be basketball related too).

I love the perception that the young players are contributing to the "bad basketball" in the NBA...that's comical to say the least.
You're right, the influx of high school and freshman players to enter the NBA the past decade plus has actually helped to better the product.Any other thought would be comical.

Attendance can be required by a professor, but you can't single out a group of students and tell them they have to go to class.

Doesn't an athletic scholarship come with academic requirements? Certainly there are standards for performance or else the university can revoke yourscholarship.

If college athletes aren't attending second semester classes the school can just revoke their scholarship.

I'm all for it. Some of these kids could use another year. Yes, Mayo, Rose, etc.

thank you stern for the dress code so I don't have to see AI or JO in a tall tee and look like a damn fool.
Thank for raising the age limit so hyped players like Lebron can develop a jumpshot and Durant can put on some muscle.

So whats the point of staying another year in college?? To Improve the game of basketball??? How so.. How does one more year guarantee you as ready for theNBA?? In my opinion, you need more then 3 years experience in the college, and then 2 years in the NBA, to be ready to officially play in the league.. Collegedoes prep you to a certain extent, but if your like Kevin Durant and your just dominating every aspect of the game, what could you possibly come back to andimprove on??? Strength?? When you play the game, you can instantly figure out what aspect of strength you need to address b/c your playing against NBAplayers..

And stop using the Kwame Brown argument.. There are plenty 3 year and 4 year college players who don't even SEE the floor.. And there are plenty of HighSchool players who are way better then those experienced college players.. Monta Ellis, Kobe, Lebron, Al Jefferson ETC..

All that said... I would rather see the High School rule implemented instead of the one year thing.. The colleges are getting punished for these one and donedudes and the players are really the only ones benefiting..

Why can't this be like soccer.. I don't see those 17 or 18 year olds messing up the game...

Originally Posted by kidoopz

So whats the point of staying another year in college?? To Improve the game of basketball??? How so.. How does one more year guarantee you as ready for the NBA?? In my opinion, you need more then 3 years experience in the college, and then 2 years in the NBA, to be ready to officially play in the league.. College does prep you to a certain extent, but if your like Kevin Durant and your just dominating every aspect of the game, what could you possibly come back to and improve on??? Strength?? When you play the game, you can instantly figure out what aspect of strength you need to address b/c your playing against NBA players..

And stop using the Kwame Brown argument.. There are plenty 3 year and 4 year college players who don't even SEE the floor.. And there are plenty of High School players who are way better then those experienced college players.. Monta Ellis, Kobe, Lebron, Al Jefferson ETC..

All that said... I would rather see the High School rule implemented instead of the one year thing.. The colleges are getting punished for these one and done dudes and the players are really the only ones benefiting..

Why can't this be like soccer.. I don't see those 17 or 18 year olds messing up the game...

you know that Kobe was on the bench most of the time his rookie year right? it took a while for him to develop.

Originally Posted by rocboys

So whats the point of staying another year in college?? To Improve the game of basketball??? How so.. How does one more year guarantee you as ready for the NBA?? In my opinion, you need more then 3 years experience in the college, and then 2 years in the NBA, to be ready to officially play in the league.. College does prep you to a certain extent, but if your like Kevin Durant and your just dominating every aspect of the game, what could you possibly come back to and improve on??? Strength?? When you play the game, you can instantly figure out what aspect of strength you need to address b/c your playing against NBA players..

And stop using the Kwame Brown argument.. There are plenty 3 year and 4 year college players who don't even SEE the floor.. And there are plenty of High School players who are way better then those experienced college players.. Monta Ellis, Kobe, Lebron, Al Jefferson ETC..

All that said... I would rather see the High School rule implemented instead of the one year thing.. The colleges are getting punished for these one and done dudes and the players are really the only ones benefiting..

you know that Kobe was on the bench most of the time his rookie year right? it took a while for him to develop.

Exactly.. It takes you at least 2 years in the NBA to be ready to play the NBA game.. Regardless if your a high school stud or a college player..

Theres only about 1/10 of the draft, that actually contributes to a roster in their first year of play.

Exactly.. It takes you at least 2 years in the NBA to be ready to play the NBA game.. Regardless if your a high school stud or a college player..

it took him 12 years or maybe more to be a teammate and off the court, he doesn't have many friends.

For Monta Ellis, dude should have gone to college and take ESL classes. Lebron has nice drive to the post but other than that his game is very very ugly andthe Finals rating would be an all-time low if he's in the Finals again.

smh @ people thinkin one more year of college is gonna change the world
laugh.gif

if anything it makes it worse for the player because now schools get extra hyped and set up defenses just for a specific opposing player

it took him 12 years or maybe more to be a teammate and off the court, he doesn't have many friends.

For Monta Ellis, dude should have gone to college and take ESL classes. Lebron has nice drive to the post but other than that his game is very very ugly and the Finals rating would be an all-time low if he's in the Finals again.

Friends?? How do you know how many friends Kobe Bryant has, and what does that have to do with college basketball??? ESL Classes are not needed when youplay ball.. *Ask Shaq*.. and Lebron is better then any college player that has came out in the last decade.. regardless of flair.. All those points you madeare mute.. This is going nowhere..

Back
Top Bottom