Stern wants age limit raised to 20.

NBA commissioner David Stern said yesterday that although he believes a 20-year-old minimum age for players would be an improvement, it is not the highest priority. The league's minimum age is 19. Stern said he has no plans to reopen the NBA's collective bargaining agreement to make a change. Philadelphia Inquirer

Count Kobe Bryant among those who don't think the NBA needs to change its minimum age requirement from 19 to 20. Bryant said they shouldn't take the decision away from a player that age because "they've had situations that have worked out with high school kids" -- such as Bryant. Riverside Press-Enterprise

Bryant reasoned that if 18-year-olds can join the Army, why shouldn't they be able to play in the NBA? "Picking up a gun and fighting for your country is a little more dangerous than playing in the NBA," Bryant said. "Just a little. It's a choice. I think they should definitely have their options and have their choice if they want to do it or if they don't. It can't hurt." Riverside Press-Enterprise

A groundbreaking five-year, $50 million deal between the NBA and NCAA not only includes ambitious goals for overhauling youth basketball, but also marks a new level in the relationship between two powerful organizations that, until a couple of years ago, had never sat down together. The as-yet-unnamed joint venture between the NBA and NCAA, which was to be formally announced today at the Final Four in San Antonio, will develop programs to help assure that boys and girls get consistent, high-quality basketball training and education. Sports Business Journal

Terms of the deal call for each side to commit up to $15 million in cash and another $20 million in joint marketing investment. "This is a historic deal," said Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, who will coach the U.S. men's Olympic team in Beijing this summer and who has been a longtime proponent of revamping youth basketball. "It's going to make basketball in our country better. That's the motivation. To help kids, but to make the game better." Sports Business Journal

Considering the history, or lack thereof, between the NBA and NCAA, Raveling hired a professional arbitrator, a law professor from Duke, to help get the meeting rolling. That turned out to be a good idea, Krzyzewski said. "We were all at tables sitting around in a square," he said, "and you had your NBA group over there, and your NCAA group over there. … It was a little bit like a NATO meeting. You needed to break the ice and get to common ground." Sports Business Journal

Other groups, such as the shoe companies and the AAU, were involved early in the process and will be included in some way in the initiative, but they were not part of the planning talks between the NBA and the NCAA. "We went to a couple of meetings," said AAU President Bobby Dodd. "As we look forward, I hope all parties are included at the table. We look forward to lending our expertise." Sports Business Journal

One insider worries that this collaboration might backfire entirely, by helping the rich get richer, and insiders more influential. He says that in the current system, top college coaches work with NBA agents to recruit players, often with the support of sneaker companies and AAU coaches. ESPN.com

Seems to me that this is more about money then anything.

Originally Posted by tupac003

A groundbreaking five-year, $50 million deal between the NBA and NCAA not only includes ambitious goals for overhauling youth basketball, but also marks a new level in the relationship between two powerful organizations that, until a couple of years ago, had never sat down together. The as-yet-unnamed joint venture between the NBA and NCAA, which was to be formally announced today at the Final Four in San Antonio, will develop programs to help assure that boys and girls get consistent, high-quality basketball training and education. Sports Business Journal

Terms of the deal call for each side to commit up to $15 million in cash and another $20 million in joint marketing investment. "This is a historic deal," said Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, who will coach the U.S. men's Olympic team in Beijing this summer and who has been a longtime proponent of revamping youth basketball. "It's going to make basketball in our country better. That's the motivation. To help kids, but to make the game better." Sports Business Journal

Considering the history, or lack thereof, between the NBA and NCAA, Raveling hired a professional arbitrator, a law professor from Duke, to help get the meeting rolling. That turned out to be a good idea, Krzyzewski said. "We were all at tables sitting around in a square," he said, "and you had your NBA group over there, and your NCAA group over there. … It was a little bit like a NATO meeting. You needed to break the ice and get to common ground." Sports Business Journal

Other groups, such as the shoe companies and the AAU, were involved early in the process and will be included in some way in the initiative, but they were not part of the planning talks between the NBA and the NCAA. "We went to a couple of meetings," said AAU President Bobby Dodd. "As we look forward, I hope all parties are included at the table. We look forward to lending our expertise." Sports Business Journal

One insider worries that this collaboration might backfire entirely, by helping the rich get richer, and insiders more influential. He says that in the current system, top college coaches work with NBA agents to recruit players, often with the support of sneaker companies and AAU coaches. ESPN.com

Ya dont say??

Not to mention the amount of money owners will save by not investing in players without the ability to properly scout them.

If stern wanted to build the D-League into a real minor league, he should allow players out of high school and freshmen in college to declare. Keep the 2 yearmin before they can play in the NBA. So players that are drafted out of HS or 1 and done have to play in the D-League until they have been two years removedfrom high school. This would allow players to be paid but also develop so they will be ready for the NBA after the 2 years is done.

I think the league's guaranteed contracts are a bigger problem. I bet Stern would agree if the guaranteed contract concern was even being talked about.It's not. The NBAPA loves the guaranteed contract.

Look at the makeup of the NBPA executive committee?
http://www.nbpa.com/executive_com.php

President
Derek Fisher

First Vice President
Adonal Foyle

Secretary & Treasurer
Pat Garrity

Vice President
P.J. Brown

Vice President
Dikembe Mutombo

Vice President
Theo Ratliff

Vice President
Malik Rose

Vice President
Eric Snow

Vice President
Etan Thomas

What do you think these players think of a 20 year age minimum?

It is about money. Every change in a private monopoly is about money. That's what a private monopoly does.

It should be 4 years.
pimp.gif

I hope they do it..........The college ranks are alot more entertaining than the NBA........At least during the regular season anyway, the playoffs is whereits at...........But.........Ncaa tourny>NBA Playoffs.

Plus it would make the competition alot higher since the players have to stay there at least 2 years..........I like the idea of that

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

Originally Posted by fc1114

Do you people know what LIMIT means?

It's an age MINIMUM NOT a LIMIT.
laugh.gif
Going to college and bouncing after one year doesn't do anything for your education.

[sarcasm]Sure doesn't, hey maybe we should make it two years [/sarcasm]

So wasting 2 years of an academic charade accomplishes what exactly?

Back
Top Bottom