Stern wants age limit raised to 20.

Its about making these colleges richer.
Why would David Stern care about putting money in somebody else's pockets?
It's above your head homie.
eyes.gif
OK.
Now the kids who are desperate to get their families out of the hood can go to Universities
OK, so what happens when a kid hits the NBA court, blows a knee, and has spent his money moving his family out of the hood? Nothing to fall backon. Sure, you've got your 5 million dollar contract, but 5 million will only get you through life if you know how to spend it. How many of these kids fromthe hood know how to wisely spend cash they've never had before? How many of them have been educated about this? Very few.
(who would not accept them, if it weren't for their basketball ability)
Them not being able to get into school without hoops isn't anybody's fault but their own... Blaming that on the 'pathetic publicschool system' is a cop out.

Now, should these kids be entitled to a little piece of they money they generate? I've come around on it. If the school's other programs (both athleticand academic) are making money off of these kids' blood and sweat, it seems only fair to give them their due. But that's another discussion for anotherday...

In the end, I still don't see how sending kids to college, for free, and giving them academic opportunities that could very well set them up for life afterbasketball (opportunities that some of these kids may not otherwise receive) is bad for the kids... University graduation percentages do not hold much waterfor me. If a kid goes in on scholarship, and busts his butt in the classroom just like every other regular student in school, he will graduate. Kids thatdon't graduate when given a scholarship, in most cases, is their own fault. If you're trying while you're on campus, there's absolutely noreason you can't get a diploma in 3 or 4 years.

I think the age limit should be tossed with these guidelines implemented.

- Players who haven't played a minimum of 1 year in college are not permitted to sign agents.

- Players who haven't played a minimum of 1 year in college can only be drafted in the lottery.

OK, so what happens when a kid hits the NBA court, blows a knee, and has spent his money moving his family out of the hood? Nothing to fall back on. Sure, you've got your 5 million dollar contract, but 5 million will only get you through life if you know how to spend it. How many of these kids from the hood know how to wisely spend cash they've never had before? How many of them have been educated about this? Very few.
You have no idea what you're talking about. When these player's get agents, they also get wealth management advisers, accountants, andlawyers. I know of a couple wealth management firms that handle some sports figures who basically went from poverty to millions. This isn't the 1970s whenathletes spent all their money on cocaine and girls. There is a financial infrastructure there to benefit them. Athletes are seeing more and more money outsideof endorsements and contracts. The services will always be in their best interest because these firms need these clients and the more money for the client, themore money for the firm.
Them not being able to get into school without hoops isn't anybody's fault but their own... Blaming that on the 'pathetic public school system' is a cop out.
If you knew the condition of inner city schools, you would not make such foolish comments. How can a kid get into Duke when the math curriculumin his Senior of HS is based on writing checks and balancing a checkbook? These schools are extremely underfunded and poor. The textbooks are outdated andteachers are not the best qualified. The tax system of these schools doesn't allow them to attract top quality teachers and the textbooks, facilities, etcare pathetic. It's a severe problem all across America. You're failing to look at the full spectrum and you have an ignorant perspective of the issue.

Now, should these kids be entitled to a little piece of they money they generate? I've come around on it. If the school's other programs (both athletic and academic) are making money off of these kids' blood and sweat, it seems only fair to give them their due. But that's another discussion for another day...

In the end, I still don't see how sending kids to college, for free, and giving them academic opportunities that could very well set them up for life after basketball (opportunities that some of these kids may not otherwise receive) is bad for the kids... University graduation percentages do not hold much water for me. If a kid goes in on scholarship, and busts his butt in the classroom just like every other regular student in school, he will graduate. Kids that don't graduate when given a scholarship, in most cases, is their own fault. If you're trying while you're on campus, there's absolutely no reason you can't get a diploma in 3 or 4 years.
Another discussion for another day? It correlates to the issue. The NCAA has always been in favor of the NBA's age limit so they can reap theprofits off of these kids talent. Lebron in the College=millions for the NCAA and its partners. Lebron straight to the League=millions for Lebron. This isabout profit which is the bottom line. Even as it correlates to the NBA. Instead of Stern cleaning up the gameplay of his league, he would rather create andsell a false perception to the sponsors.

Again, let me see the University Graduation percentages of these major programs. I thought so. This is all about money. These colleges could care less aboutsetting these kids up for life.

While I do see the arguments on both sides of the spectrum, I still agree with JO on this issue. If you are old enough to fight in a war, you are old enough todecide what you want to do with your life which includes trying your luck and announcing for the Draft. Granted there are tons of players that went straightfrom high school to the pros that ended up doing jack squat. But there are also tons of players with college experience and foreign born players that are inthe same boat.

Colleges exploit players for millions of dollars and I don't see why players should be forced to bite the bullet for one more year if they believe thatthey have a high-stock in the draft ala (Chris Bosh & Kevin Durant). I'm pretty sure Mike Beasley won't think about K-State fans when he makes hisdecision about going or staying late this year. It will be based on how he feels, his family, etc. And what about those senior players that don't getdrafted because of foreign born players drafted solely on potential. You think Brandon Rush will be drafted higher now than had he gone after his freshmanyear? How many foreign players will be drafted solely on potential ahead of him? Isn't that same as drafting high schoolers? Granted he could have hisdegree but 80k < 1 million.

WHEN IT ALL COMES DOWN TO IT......STERN IS GONNA DO WHAT STERN IS GONNA DO.......I DONT AGREE WITH HIM ON EVERYTHING.......BUT HES GOTTA THINK........THAT SOMEOF THESE GUYS ARE NEVER GONNA BE GOOD AT GOING 2 SCHOOL AND GET THOSE GOOD GRADES NEEDED 2 PLAY BALL AND FOR THAT REASON NEVER GONNA MAKE TO THELEAGUE........HIS POCKETS ARE FAT AND DOESNT EVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MONEY EVER IN HIS LIFE OR HIS KIDS.......WHILE THEM DUDES FROM YOUR LOCAL HIGH SCHOOLHAVE TO GET A 9-5 JUST TO GET BY........ITS HARD BUT THATS JUST THE WAY LIFE IS......LOL

Fact of the matter is, Stern is fixing all the wrong things, and had his age limit been in place 5 years ago, he would have missed out on his biggest cash cow right now, LeBron James.
Well, he would have had the same cash cow, for one year less. But imagine how much money LeBron would have raked in after a year of lighting upthe College ranks.

You have no idea what you're talking about. When these player's get agents, they also get wealth management advisers, accountants, and lawyers. I know of a couple wealth management firms that handle some sports figures who basically went from poverty to millions. This isn't the 1970s when athletes spent all their money on cocaine and girls. There is a financial infrastructure there to benefit them. Athletes are seeing more and more money outside of endorsements and contracts. The services will always be in their best interest because these firms need these clients and the more money for the client, the more money for the firm.
You do realize that all those guys are just there to bleed kids out of their money right? Guys who make it big are seeing money out of bigcontracts and endorsements, but 90% of the NBA doesn't have endorsement deals, and a lot of guys get rookie contracts, and then disappear. Or they get acouple contracts on the minimum, and then the funds run out. What then for them? Sure they've got some money, but unless they stretch that money out, itsgone quick. You can have all the financial people you want, but at the end of the day, you're probably controlling your spending. I'd be damned if Ididn't go a little wild after getting a nice little contract.

Take a look at these two guys stats, and you can't honestly tell me they wouldn't have benefited from playing 2 years in college instead of in theleague:
Ndudi Ebi
C.J. Miles
Both of them would have probably starred in College, gotten plenty of minutes and refined their games, so that when they went to the pros, they could have donesomething with themselves and been better off in the long term.

These kids should relish the opportunity they get to go to high profile colleges and get a good education that a lot of people can't afford, or can'teven access. Playing in the NBA should be considered a bonus on top of that, instead of the NBA being the opportunity.

Someone earlier said 1 million>80k, but 80k for the next 35 years>1 million dollars once.

You do realize that all those guys are just there to bleed kids out of their money right? Guys who make it big are seeing money out of big contracts and endorsements, but 90% of the NBA doesn't have endorsement deals, and a lot of guys get rookie contracts, and then disappear. Or they get a couple contracts on the minimum, and then the funds run out. What then for them? Sure they've got some money, but unless they stretch that money out, its gone quick. You can have all the financial people you want, but at the end of the day, you're probably controlling your spending. I'd be damned if I didn't go a little wild after getting a nice little contract.
Nah, you ain't no all them guys are out there looking out for the best interests of their clients?
eyes.gif
These kids should relish the opportunity they get to go to high profile colleges and get a good education that a lot of people can't afford, or can't even access. Playing in the NBA should be considered a bonus on top of that, instead of the NBA being the opportunity.
Agree whole-heartedly. A kid from the hood getting the opportunity to attend a Georgetown, Duke, Texas, and on and on, should be an opportunitythat people are excited about. You may only plan on being there for the required amount of time, whether it's one, two, or three years, but if you go thereand bust your butt in the classroom, you can always come back and get that diploma. You go there and put in no effort, then flop out the league, you thinkthey'll even give you a second look? Nope. Then what?

I could argue about it over, and over, and over, but when it comes down to it, education and what you're going to be able to do for the 40 or 50 years ofyour life after basketball is just as, if not more important than getting your chance in the L and maybe sticking around for longer than a contract ortwo... What is the average career length for the NBA? What do these kids do if they go to the L, flop, and didn't have the grades to get into school in thefirst place? They are finished. Flippin burgers at Burger King. Sorry, but player agents and everything that comes with them aren't going to waste theirtime on a client nobody wants, and if they do keep them on board, they're just sucking even more money out of them. When nobody is there to spend yourmoney for you or advise you on your decisions, then what?

Originally Posted by chikickz

Originally Posted by CurtisCarter23

he just seems so holier than thou, and smug!

Why? For the most part, David Stern is right. He was right about the dress code. He was right about the 1 year out of high school rule. He's not infallible, but many of these proposals are good for the league.
laugh.gif
Exactly how were those things good for the league? The NBA is coming off of the least watched finals ever. The NBA's ratings are stillconstistently mediocure. People still complain about the NBA having a crappy product. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how any of thatcrap accomplished anything

Originally Posted by Lootpac

You have no idea what you're talking about. When these player's get agents, they also get wealth management advisers, accountants, and lawyers. I know of a couple wealth management firms that handle some sports figures who basically went from poverty to millions. This isn't the 1970s when athletes spent all their money on cocaine and girls. There is a financial infrastructure there to benefit them. Athletes are seeing more and more money outside of endorsements and contracts. The services will always be in their best interest because these firms need these clients and the more money for the client, the more money for the firm.
You do realize that all those guys are just there to bleed kids out of their money right? Guys who make it big are seeing money out of big contracts and endorsements, but 90% of the NBA doesn't have endorsement deals, and a lot of guys get rookie contracts, and then disappear. Or they get a couple contracts on the minimum, and then the funds run out. What then for them? Sure they've got some money, but unless they stretch that money out, its gone quick. You can have all the financial people you want, but at the end of the day, you're probably controlling your spending. I'd be damned if I didn't go a little wild after getting a nice little contract.

These kids should relish the opportunity they get to go to high profile colleges and get a good education that a lot of people can't afford, or can't even access. Playing in the NBA should be considered a bonus on top of that, instead of the NBA being the opportunity.

Someone earlier said 1 million>80k, but 80k for the next 35 years>1 million dollars once.

First of all, its called business. Every Capitalist is out there to bleed someone out of their money. I would love to bleed everyone in the world out oftheir money. It's still in the best interest to make sure my client's money is accumulating. It's the job. The more money my client has, the morecommission I can take off. You think money managers are there to just suck out their clients money? They are there to make the client more money. It'sbusiness family.

Relish the opportunity? These kids barely know Math or English. The NBA is not a bonus, it is an opportunity to display their talent for money...That's whythey bust their +$*%@ off in the gym and playgrounds across the country. Point Blank, this is a free market economy. These players are the ones who should bejustifying their worth. The NCAA is big business and the players are replicating exploitation from another time period in America's past.

As Chris Rock once said

200 years ago, it was cotton. Today its college basketball.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Nah, you ain't no all them guys are out there looking out for the best interests of their clients?
eyes.gif
Agree whole-heartedly. A kid from the hood getting the opportunity to attend a Georgetown, Duke, Texas, and on and on, should be an opportunity that people are excited about. You may only plan on being there for the required amount of time, whether it's one, two, or three years, but if you go there and bust your butt in the classroom, you can always come back and get that diploma. You go there and put in no effort, then flop out the league, you think they'll even give you a second look? Nope. Then what?

I could argue about it over, and over, and over, but when it comes down to it, education and what you're going to be able to do for the 40 or 50 years of your life after basketball is just as, if not more important than getting your chance in the L and maybe sticking around for longer than a contract or two... What is the average career length for the NBA? What do these kids do if they go to the L, flop, and didn't have the grades to get into school in the first place? They are finished. Flippin burgers at Burger King. Sorry, but player agents and everything that comes with them aren't going to waste their time on a client nobody wants, and if they do keep them on board, they're just sucking even more money out of them. When nobody is there to spend your money for you or advise you on your decisions, then what?

laugh.gif
"bust your butt and get a diploma". Seriously where doyou guys come up with some of this garbage. Who are you guys trying to kid? College basketball is nothing more than glorified minor leagues. I reallydon't get why everybody here is so concerned about how many years of college education Kevin Durant or Joe Blow get, who cares. College basketball coachesthemselves couldn't care less about their educations, so why on Earth do a bunch of dudes on Niketalk care so much. If a student athlete wants to pursuehis college education than great for him, that's his choice. But if a kid wants take his chances in the NBA he should be able to. I know it's aplayed out cliche, but it's ok to send out 18 year old kids to war but God forbid they play professional basketball in the United States. Becauseprofessional basketball is so freaking dangerous and serious.

First of all, its called business. Every Capitalist is out there to bleed someone out of their money. I would love to bleed everyone in the world out of their money. It's still in the best interest to make sure my client's money is accumulating. It's the job. The more money my client has, the more commission I can take off. You think money managers are there to just suck out their clients money? They are there to make the client more money. It's business family.

If you truly believe that, then there is a bridge in Brooklyn, I'm trying to sell.

You interested?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Do you dudes feel the same way about the NFL? When it comes down to it, any other job in the United States of America has job qualifications. If David Sternsthinks the NBA needs players to attend school and get an education for 2 or 3 years, then so be it. It's no different than any other company requiring acollege degree and a certain GPA from their applicants, other than people want to turn it into a race thing and David Stern and the NCAA are holding the blackman down.
eyes.gif
Educating kids that otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity is a terrible thing, I guess...
If you truly believe that, then there is a bridge in Brooklyn, I'm trying to sell.
roll.gif

I HAVEN'T READ THE WHOLE THREAD, SO FORGIVE ME IF I REPEAT SOMETHING.

1. IF AT 18 YOU CAN BE DRAFT INTO THE MILITARY, THE NBA SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM!!!
2. MLB, PGA, PBA, TENNIS, MLS, NHL, CAR RACING, (ECT). INCLUDES EACH LEAGUES MINOR'S.
3. ENTERTAINERS (NO AGE LIMIT!!!)
4. MCEE DEES
5. EURO PLAYERS IN THEIR HOME COUNTRIES.

IT'S ALL ABOUT RACE, THE MOST MARKETABLE STARS IN THE NBA ARE BLACK AND HAD BEEN COMING INTO THE LEAGUE OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL (KOBE, BRON, GARRNETT,TELFAIR
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
). STERN HAS BEEN TALKING ABOUT TRUELY GOING INTERNATIONAL WITH THE NBA AND THINKS THAT WITH TWO TERMS OF COLLEGE, THIS WILL MATURE HIS AFRICANAMERICAN PLAYER'S (THERE ISN'T, A CAUCASUN PLAYER STAIGHT OUT OF HS FROM THE USA). AND OF COURSE ATLEAST TWO TERMS OF COLLEGE WILL MATUREEVERYBODY.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
MOST IF NOT ALL THE KIDS THAT GET DRAFTED INTO THE NBA HAVE PLAYED AAU AND/OR GO TO PRIVATE SCHOOLS THAT ARE BASICALLY SMALL COLLEGES. SINCE THEYHAVE BEEN IN THE 9 GRADE OR YOUNGER THESE KIDS HAVE BEEN TRAVELING THE COUNTRY AND THE WORLD PLAYING BALL. THE PLAYERS IN THE NBA ARE DOMINATLY BLACK, WE ALLKNOW THIS. WE ALSO KNOW THAT WHEN THERE IS A FIGHT IN THE LEAGUE IT IS THE MOST NEGATIVLY COVERED BY THE MEDIA THEN ANY OTHER SPORT. MEDIA VIEW ON HOCKEYFIGHTS, YOUR A WARRIOR, BASEBALL
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
, BASKETBALL "IT'S TIME TO CHANGE THE SYSTEM". PTI, AROUND THE HORN, COLD PIZZA, ROME, NACEY GRACE, THE VIEW, EBERT & ROPER ALL ADDTHEIR 2CENTS. BOTTOM LINE, STERN IS TAKING THE LEAGUE INTERNATION AND FEELS A YEAR OF COLLEGE WILL MATURE AFRICAN AMERICAN KIDS. LAST THING STERN WANTS TOREAD ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE NEWS PAPER IS "INTERNATIONAL INSIDENT". THE REAL ISSUE I BELIEVE WITH STEARN IS, DOES HE THINK HE NEEDS TO HAVE ASALIARY CAP FOR PLAYERS COMING OUT OF HS(WHICH IS 100% BLACK!!! IN THE USA) FOR PEACE OF MIND. HE HAS DRESS QUOIDS FOR GROWN MEN. EVEN THE PGA LET'S JOHNDAILY WEAR WHAT EVER HE WANTS TO, AS LONG AS HE HAS PANTS AND A COLLARD SHIRT ON.
roll.gif
I BELIEVE EARNING YOUR COLLEGE DEGREE SHOULD BE A GOAL FOR EVERYBODY. I ALSO KNOW THAT IT IS A LOT EASIER TO GO EARN THAT DEGREE WITH $30,000,000IN YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT THEN -$12.23.

The NBA is a business, period. Stern raising the age limit to 20 helps the owners because it would limit the amount of contracts the player gets. Example: If akid goes straight to the NBA from HS, he's 18 years old. For the sake of argument, he signs a 4 year deal. When that deal expires, he'll be 22.Let's argue that the kid is a pretty good ball player, so he gets a max 6 year deal. When that contract expires, the young man is 28. Now the young man isin his prime, so another max contract. When that contract expires, he's 34. Time to retire.

Example: A kid enters the NBA draft at age 20, for sake of argument again, he signs a 4 year deal. When that deal expires, he's 24. Again, the kid canplay, so we offer him a max 6 year deal. When that contract expires, the man is 30! You just saved yourself another max deal.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Ban this guy with the cap lock fetish.

A FRIEND MINE TOLD ME THAT THERE ARE A FEW MEN ON NT THAT BLEED FOR 7DAYS. I GUESS YOUR ONE OF THEM CARLOS.

I'll try to be more careful in the future.
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

laugh.gif
Apparently somebody missed that Stern wants to implement an AGE LIMIT. Not specifically a 2-year college requirement for American players...

Foreign players, or WHITE athletes, would also fall under the umbrella of this rule. I can't believe people honestly believe there's a racial slant tothis issue...
eyes.gif
smh.gif

When these players get agent they get greedy yes men who more often for not care only about the kid's money. This is why agent have to be keptaway from the kids as much as possible until draft time because the wolve are waiting for these kids from HS. If you think these "services" care about washed out young players with no education or real world skill in today struggling job market yourdreaming.

15 year ago only a handful of kids most the very best in the nation left early from college at all. that why we had a better more developed NBA on both ends.I don't like Steirn I would have him out just for what he's done to the Slam Dunk contest alone much least everything else. But on this I agree I wouldmake it 3 years from HS just like the NFL. Man young player today aren't developing because they have no college skill to sprout from. Kid leaving earlyis bad for the NCAA, NBA bad for the kids game, and in the long run bad for the kids themselves.

When these player's get agents, they also get wealth management advisers, accountants, and lawyers.
for some reason, i don't think this is true. i think the average nba player goes broke 10 years afterhe's out of the League. not sure why i think this though...haha

i think an age limit is a good idea. 20 sounds like a good age too. some of the college kids need to have some form of formal education if their basketballdreams don't pan out...that's just how i see it.

Originally Posted by PRIME1984

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Ban this guy with the cap lock fetish.

A FRIEND MINE TOLD ME THAT THERE ARE A FEW MEN ON NT THAT BLEED FOR 7DAYS. I GUESS YOUR ONE OF THEM CARLOS.

I'll try to be more careful in the future.
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

I'm on the pill.

Back
Top Bottom