So basically...In District 9... SPOILERS

Were there any white people who were cannibals and prostitutes for aliens in the movie, just curious?

I'm about to watch the movie, but even a 10 year can discern levels of sophistication. The acts of inhumanity that y'all are saying the Black peoplepartook in seem so low-level in comparison with what other groups did.

I'll give yall a Nigerians point of view when I'm done.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Were there any white people who were cannibals and prostitutes for aliens in the movie, just curious?
Not that I noticed.
nerd.gif

Man...there are dozens of articles citing the racist overtones in the movie...including White South African journals.

If you accept those portrayals of Africans as reality....it you that need to check yourself.

framework_logo.png

[h2]District 9: Racist?[/h2]
In an exploitative move, District 9 tempts us to think, but fails to deliver on that seduction. Blomkamp, a white South African born in 1979, should probably know better.

Paradoxically, in his world of foreign detainees, there is very little room for natives-that is to say, very little room for humanity. The white protagonist, Wikus van de Merwe (Sharto Copley), is an over-eager, nepotistic klutz who never quite loses his selfish streak. Although ostensibly anti-segregation, the film operates on the same racial stereotypes that inspire segregation in the first place.

These articles are spot on.

I just did a brief search after viewing the movie and they echo the my exact opinions about the film.

Some of y'all need to open a book, your eyes and your mind.

The funny thing is if the Protagonist was African, some would be saying that they made the black dude look selfish
laugh.gif

HueyP in LouieV wrote:
Wade187 wrote:
SoleOnEyez wrote:
You guys are reaching with this one. It was based in the heart of a slum IN africa. Slums everywhere have unsavory and barbaric characters in it.

I think the most barbaric of all the characters was the commander (white) who seemed hell bent on killing everything and everyone for sport. The most treacherous was the father in-law who heartlessly lied to his own daughter and subjected aliens to inhuman testing.

I could see if they portrayed black people that way if the movie was based in England or Australia....but they were in Africa. Stop reaching for racism.
Basically. You acting as if the Nigerians in the movie were just regular everyday people, it was basically a bunch of gangsters in the slums. Also I think it was meant to be like that to kind of show how humans in general tend to put aside there differences and come together once something which they see as different comes a long. In many instances people who themselves have been subject to racism, sexism, basically any kind of prejudice will disregard that and find reasons to put others through that. At least that's how I saw it, but I kinda had that mind state prior to watching the movie so maybe im biased. Also you yourself are being kinda hypocritical by saying it's racist yet your really only looking at it the way you want to see it. There were characters of all races who were inhumane so to speak in the movie yet you chose to only focus on the nigerians who played the roles gangsters and citizens of the slums. Did you want them to just throw in a random noble citizen of color though he may seem out of place just so they wont seem racist? That's really the only route they couldve went was to throw in a token cause theres really no other way it wouldve fit in, with the location this movie took place in

Did I say that only the Black Africans were portrayed as inhumane?

I'm asking someone to point out the valiance and humanity of the Black Africans in the movie?

How would a noble Black Africsn seem out of place in Africa?....Wow.

It was perfectly normal for them to be gangsters and prostitutes in the slum though?

So if they werent the ony ones viewed as inhumane whats your perogative? You trying to say they were racist against everyone but might have been a tad bit moreharsh on the black africans? A noble black african might not be out of place in africa, but in the SLUMS of south africa where in real life they are gangstersand prostitutes it would be out of place. People fighting for the people in africa them selves say the slums in africa could quite possibly be the worst in theworld and your debating the fact that it isn't normal for them to be gangsters or prostitutes? Really? A noble person in general wouldn't even be inthat area if this were real life, but you want them to throw someone in there so you could feel more comfortable?

Originally Posted by bns1201

everything is racist nowadays...i just dont get it

You don't see how it would be viable in this situation? it's not a reach at all. I really do for some reason though believe the director was wellintentioned, just clumsily executed. Seems like he really just wanted to make a sci-fi not so serious depiction of the apartheid. Because he lived it, ireally don't want to believe he did the typical hollywood misrepresentation, but the more i think about it, it's no different. Then again, i reallyhave no real experience of Africa.

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

The funny thing is if the Protagonist was African, some would be saying that they made the black dude look selfish
laugh.gif

the protagonist was African...he was born in Africa, South Africa...

but i know what you mean...

Originally Posted by Wade187

So if they werent the ony ones viewed as inhumane whats your perogative? You trying to say they were racist against everyone but might have been a tad bit more harsh on the black africans? A noble black african might not be out of place in africa, but in the SLUMS of south africa where in real life they are gangsters and prostitutes it would be out of place. People fighting for the people in africa them selves say the slums in africa could quite possibly be the worst in the world and your debating the fact that it isn't normal for them to be gangsters or prostitutes? Really? A noble person in general wouldn't even be in that area if this were real life, but you want them to throw someone in there so you could feel more comfortable?

A tad bit more harsh?

They were dirty, cannibalistic, alien-prostituting, drug dealing, gun smuggling, gangsters, idiots and cannon fodder.

The film revolved around the love between the white hero and his wife. They displayed happy functioning white families..."Look at my wife, with her whitehalo...shes an angel..."

Where was the one glimpse of black normalcy in this film?...not even victory...just normalcy....one instance or situation please.
nerd.gif

When you break it down. The only "person" in the movie who had any noble/respectable qualities was the alien Chris Johnson and his son....or whateverthe kid was lol.

i see what you mean about the black Africans being portrayed as savages but lets not act like the white ones werent portrayed as such either. on one hand youhad the Nigerians trying to eat the alien body parts to use their weapons, while the whites were performing unimaginable tests on the aliens in the labs, evenusing the main characters arm to blow up innocent alients. the whites just had technology but their intent and cruelty were the same

Originally Posted by SoleOnEyez

When you break it down. The only "person" in the movie who had any noble/respectable qualities was the alien Chris Johnson and his son....or whatever the kid was lol.

No Winkus was willing to give his life to help the aliens after he saw their plight and his wife was the ultimate loyal mate.

Hey_

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Originally Posted by Wade187

So if they werent the ony ones viewed as inhumane whats your perogative? You trying to say they were racist against everyone but might have been a tad bit more harsh on the black africans? A noble black african might not be out of place in africa, but in the SLUMS of south africa where in real life they are gangsters and prostitutes it would be out of place. People fighting for the people in africa them selves say the slums in africa could quite possibly be the worst in the world and your debating the fact that it isn't normal for them to be gangsters or prostitutes? Really? A noble person in general wouldn't even be in that area if this were real life, but you want them to throw someone in there so you could feel more comfortable?

A tad bit more harsh?

They were dirty, cannibalistic, alien-prostituting, drug dealing, gun smuggling, gangsters, idiots and cannon fodder.

The film revolved around the love between the white hero and his wife. They displayed happy functioning white families..."Look at my wife, with her white halo...shes an angel..."

Where was the one glimpse of black normalcy in this film?...not even victory...just normalcy....one instance or situation please.
nerd.gif

Your posts def. make a strong argument.

As for the part I bolded,

I'd say the black/African lady that was commenting on the plight of the Aliens during the documentary part of the film. At the restaurant, we've got afew African/black cats just chillin' orderin' food, then Wikus comes in desperate and flies in to a rage when they flash the photoshop job of himsexin' a Prawn. Lastly, the trainee (lackey is not an accurate choice of word imo, and I don't remember him being called "boy". I'llwatch the film again though) of the Wikus did the honorable thing and exposed MNU.

It might've been an afterthought since that scene is goes by so swiftly, but he's the only cat that does what is right.

That includes Sharlto's character.

Julius F. Wrek

The film revolved around the love between the white hero and his wife. They displayed happy functioning white families..."Look at my wife, with her white halo...shes an angel..."
minus her father selling her out...

and really, an act of normalcy? it was an ALIEN movie with a space ship the size of texas hovering over johannesburg.

if ppl can't find the underlying tones of allegorical irony in the movie, idk... enjoy the sci-fi special fx, but don't engage in somepsuedo-journalistic movie critique approach. you sound ignorant to those who know better.

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

i see what you mean about the black Africans being portrayed as savages but lets not act like the white ones werent portrayed as such either. on one hand you had the Nigerians trying to eat the alien body parts to use their weapons, while the whites were performing unimaginable tests on the aliens in the labs, even using the main characters arm to blow up innocent alients. the whites just had technology but their intent and cruelty were the same

Thats a valid point but there was still displays of normalcy amongst the whites in the movie....the journalists narrating, Winkus's wife and family, hisco-workers etc.

All blacks were idiots, sidekicks or savages.

HueyP in LouieV wrote:
Wade187 wrote:

A tad bit more harsh?

nerd.gif

The thing your not getting is there really was no place for that. The focus was the main character so of course we saw some normalcy on his part, and thepeople around him. Had the film been about a more diverse place perhaps your argument would hold. But it isn't, the only blacks with noticable rolls werethe ones in the slums. Of course I don't see Africans as being like the ones in te movies, but I do imagine the ones in the slum are quite ruthless andwould do just about anything to earn their money, but I see the same thing in my country and can imagine in a lot of countrys it's the same. This movierevolved around the slums, and just about every main character was part of a racist white government or a alien or a hood from the slums. To me it would justbe to difficult to throw more noble black africans in the movie in a way that makes sense. Like someone has stated there was black africans rallying againstthe concentration camps, but once again those civilians weren't much of a factor in the movie

Originally Posted by YoungAnakin

minus her father selling her out...

and really, an act of normalcy? it was an ALIEN movie with a space ship the size of texas hovering over johannesburg.
You sound like a clown.

sweartagod i was thinking this when i first saw the movie
laugh.gif
We discussed this briefly in my Humanities class.

("Do you have a permit for that child?" an alien is asked during a shack-by-shack raid, ringing withthe mistreatment of blacks under apartheid. In another scene, the white hero insists the he is required by law to be served in a fast food restaurant run byblacks.)

William Jelani Cobb, an author and commentator who teaches history at Spelman College in Atlanta, couldn't stomach thefilm. "I walked out shortly after the scene with the Nigerian hustlers eating 'prawn' body parts and drinking their blood," says Cobb, theauthor of The Devil and Dave Chapelle & Other Essays. "I suspected thatthe filmmakers were so smug about their allegory that they have overlooked the ways in which the film ultimately echoed old stereotypes initself."

Apparently its directed by a white South African who experienced the Apartheid

District 9 is directed and co-written by South African-born Neill Blomkamp, who is whiteand came of age during apartheid. His family moved to Canada when he was a teenager. As Blomkamp said in the August 14 issue of Vanity Fair "You [would] also see all of the army vehicles …going into the townships when stuffwas really flaring up in the late '80s. I remember that pretty clearly."

http:// Allegorical Landmines: Aliens & Race in 'District9′

You guys never heard or read about Nigerian organized crime? They exist.. in Europe, Africa, South America.. and yes, South Africa included. The way theyportrayed their methods of racketeering and illegal crime was accurate, if you somehow find racism in their portrayal of this organized crime, you are beyondreaching, you are just plain stupid. If you do not watch this movie because you think their portrayal of the Nigerian gang is racist, you are again, justplain stupid.. it is a refreshing and great movie and you owe it to yourself to watch it.

If anything, people of Jewish ancestry should be angered because of the parallels seen between the aliens being placed in concentration camp and their methodsof persecution. But even then, I don't think so.

People need to use some imagination and stop taking what they see in entertainment so damn seriously. It is the writer and director's creation, it is whatthey imagined in their head and wanted to share with the audience. Maybe to them, if aliens really did dock a football stadium (or 2 or 3, or 10) sizedhovercraft above earth, that the aliens would be jailed in a similar fashion. Or maybe not, maybe anything could happen... it is just an interpretation, athought, a concept, an idea. Just go with the flow.

I mean....there were black prostitutes, selling their bodies to aliens and witch doctors encouraging cannibalism....seriously. No whites doing it...and thereare poor whites in white slums in South Africa.

If we are to accept the sterotypes of the white characters in the movie as selfish and oppressive, like y'all claim...then what are we to gather from thedepiction of blacks?

HueyP, you are one dim light bulb
laugh.gif

I gotta get outta this thread before some of your "thinking" rubs off
roll.gif

Have fun with your D9 conspiracy theories
alien.gif

I mean....there were black prostitutes, selling their bodies to aliens and witch doctors encouraging cannibalism....seriously. No whites doing it...and there are poor whites in white slums in South Africa.

If we are to accept the sterotypes of the white characters in the movie as selfish and oppressive, like y'all claim...then what are we to gather from the depiction of blacks?

we shouldn't accept stereotypes.

I mean....there were black prostitutes, selling their bodies to aliens and witch doctors encouraging cannibalism....seriously. No whites doing it...and there are poor whites in white slums in South Africa.

If we are to accept the sterotypes of the white characters in the movie as selfish and oppressive, like y'all claim...then what are we to gather from the depiction of blacks?
I see what you are getting at, you are trying to say that this movie just reinforces negative stereotypes. Point taken.

But let's not get to far out of hand, because this is, after all, just one simple movie. Sure, there was not one instance of black empowerment in thefilm, but this is just one instance in one film. There has been a plethora of instances in other entertainment where black empowerment is present. Weshouldn't get bent to far out of shape.

Originally Posted by Ducky Quack

I see what you are getting at, you are trying to say that this movie just reinforces negative stereotypes. Point taken.

But let's not get to far out of hand, because this is, after all, just one simple movie. Sure, there was not one instance of black empowerment in the film, but this is just one instance in one film. There has been a plethora of instances in other entertainment where black empowerment is present. We shouldn't get bent to far out of shape.

I'm not talking about all forms of entertainment...i'm talking about this film.

HueyP in LouieV wrote:

I've heard of women in my country and other south american countrys having relations with animals for money when they really needed it or toget there fix. Witch doctors were encouraging them to eat aliens which are not human so how is it cannibalism? How many poor whites are in any major gangs inthe slums of africa? I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a white person in the slums of south africa who didn't look like they were justvisiting. That right there tells me just how few their really are

the movie was sick but i was expecting the alien to come back in the end 3 years later and fix the main character

Back
Top Bottom