So basically...In District 9... SPOILERS

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Everyone had redeeming qualities in the film....except the Blacks.

A white man was the hero...in AFRICA.

The Alien father was also a hero.

The Africans were prostitutes (for aliens), henchmen, gangsters, witch doctors, in the middle of the garbage with the Aliens. drug dealers, barbaric, moral less, prejudicial etc. etc.

The Aliens were a noble and persecuted peoples (basically parallel to the black race) who just wanted to go home but were the subject of persecution.

The Africans were killed in the most brutal, graphic and gory manners and there was not 1 African in the movie with redeeming qualities.

They even had little subconscious attacks, like the little alien "pet/animal" feeding on the brains of the black dead body.

umm...the white guy's black friend got jailed for trying to expose the govt.

white soldier guy was an antagonist.

what about the way they showed the white government as the bad side?

white people were also killed the same way as the black people

they even showed black people protesting for the alien's rights.

someone quote this so the guy can read this.

laugh.gif
@ putting people on ignore. can't deal with the real world eh?
grin.gif

"I'm right. I know I'm right! No one's gonna be able to make me say I'm wrong. I WANT TO BE IGNORANT. STOP TALKING!!!"

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

The Africans were prostitutes (for aliens), henchmen, gangsters, witch doctors, in the middle of the garbage with the Aliens. drug dealers, barbaric, moral less, prejudicial etc. etc.

The Aliens were a noble and persecuted peoples (basically parallel to the black race) who just wanted to go home but were the subject of persecution.

The Africans were killed in the most brutal, graphic and gory manners and there was not 1 African in the movie with redeeming qualities.

They even had little subconscious attacks, like the little alien "pet/animal" feeding on the brains of the black dead body.

u serious???

You've got a point abeautifulhaze. But comon though, Are you surprised? The movie was still amazing.

I see it, i really felt it was od to portray the nigerians like that, but no human was portrayed in a positive light in the film(you prolly got your ownreasons for not referring to them all as Africans). The white guy was apart of a larger global greedy nazi org, and was really a coward. And to be honest,things like that are born out of desolate conditions like that. I'd imagine that the director, growing up in South Africa, really just drew upon hisexperiences, but i wouldn't put it beyond them to have a hidden agenda. And the other hero of the film was the black guy who exposed the corporation aswell.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

umm...the white guy's black friend got jailed for trying to expose the govt.

what about the way they showed the white government as the bad side?

white people were also killed the same way as the black people

they even showed black people protesting for the alien's rights.

someone quote this so the guy can read this.

laugh.gif
@ putting people on ignore. can't deal with the real world eh?
grin.gif
He wasn't his friend...he was his lackey.

He was subordinate to the main character who was supposed to be the dopiest, most helpless person in the film....."Um boss, are you ok?" Classicalharmless sidekick.

That scene was a 30 second afterthough and he still ended up in jail.

Dude had no role in the movie.

this dude hueyp/abeautifulhaze find racism in everything
laugh.gif
haven't seen the movie though, but i remember the whole subject touches on how black africanswere treated by white africans

Originally Posted by juni0rthe0ne112789

u serious???

Are you that dense?
the whole subject touches on how black africans were treated by white africans

but they're in AFRICA....im sure you are smart enough to know that there are militias in AFRICA who are composed of all blacks..which is what there was inthe movie..."a White man was the hero...in AFRICA" in SOUTH AFRICA..im sure you are smart enough to know that in SOUTH AFRICA it's mostlywhite..and what..u want a black man to be the hero? are you racist?...

"The Africans were killed in the most brutal, graphic and gory manners and there was not 1 African in the movie with redeeming qualities."

what about the white guys who were killed brutally? and yes there was, what about the African who accompanied the "white hero" and that other chubbyone who was a soldier

Originally Posted by juni0rthe0ne112789

u serious???

Are you that dense?
the whole subject touches on how black africans were treated by white africans

you trying too hard to find something i get what your saying but come on son
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

I see it, i really felt it was od to portray the nigerians like that, but no human was portrayed in a positive light in the film(you prolly got your own reasons for not referring to them all as Africans). The white guy was apart of a larger global greedy nazi org, and was really a coward. And to be honest, things like that are born out of desolate conditions like that. I'd imagine that the director, growing up in South Africa, really just drew upon his experiences, but i wouldn't put it beyond them to have a hidden agenda. And the other hero of the film was the black guy who exposed the corporation as well.
He wasn't a hero though, he was dudes sidekick.

He had basically no role in the movie.

That scene at the end of the movie was literally 10 seconds.

There werent really any "good guys" in the movie as far as humans go. I think thats the point - it was showing how hypocritical humanity is. Aliensare perceived as these technologically advanced beings that can destroy humanity easily - and despite that the aliens in the movie were relatively peaceful.They were prosecuted by humans, despite being more powerful. MNU people were white and they were "bad guys." Wikus wasnt a good guy, he was a nobody,and a selfish coward. It was only towards the end that he grew into something sort of like a hero because of his sympathy towards the alien and his son. Andall of district nine was like a slum, the africans (i dont think thats the proper term, not sure though, a percentage of south africans are white) so itssomewhat understandable for the nigerians to be portrayed that way.

Originally Posted by smoothrick007

but they're in AFRICA....im sure you are smart enough to know that there are militias in AFRICA who are composed of all blacks..which is what there was in the movie..."a White man was the hero...in AFRICA" in SOUTH AFRICA..im sure you are smart enough to know that in SOUTH AFRICA it's mostly white..and what..u want a black man to be the hero? are you racist?...

OH

MY

GOD

eek.gif

Originally Posted by SaltineWarrior

Originally Posted by razzle dazzle

I see where you're coming at, but the aliens are more barbaric than the Africans. You may think how District 9 portrayed the Africans is racist, but in reality it is the truth. They wanted to make a sci-fi film which was realistic in its approach. I thought it was an excellent, thought-provoking movie.
Would you care to explain the logic behind this reasoning?
You have to understand that Johannesburg (the setting for the movie) is not in the United States, but in South Africa. Obviously a lot of thepeople like myself who has become so used to our lifestyle living in our more civilized part of the world cannot fully grasp the situation going on in anothercountry. But we must realize the truth in many different cultures around the world. Like I said, this movie takes a realistic approach... Please don't getme wrong, I am not saying that all Africans are uncivilized, but we have to realize that there are actually things like this in other parts of the world

SoleOnEyez wrote:
You guys are reaching with this one. It was based in the heart of a slum IN africa. Slums everywhere have unsavory and barbaric characters in it.

I think the most barbaric of all the characters was the commander (white) who seemed hell bent on killing everything and everyone for sport. The most treacherous was the father in-law who heartlessly lied to his own daughter and subjected aliens to inhuman testing.

I could see if they portrayed black people that way if the movie was based in England or Australia....but they were in Africa. Stop reaching for racism.
Basically. You acting as if the Nigerians in the movie were just regular everyday people, it was basically a bunch of gangsters in the slums. AlsoI think it was meant to be like that to kind of show how humans in general tend to put aside there differences and come together once something which they seeas different comes a long. In many instances people who themselves have been subject to racism, sexism, basically any kind of prejudice will disregard that andfind reasons to put others through that. At least that's how I saw it, but I kinda had that mind state prior to watching the movie so maybe im biased. Alsoyou yourself are being kinda hypocritical by saying it's racist yet your really only looking at it the way you want to see it. There were characters of allraces who were inhumane so to speak in the movie yet you chose to only focus on the nigerians who played the roles gangsters and citizens of the slums. Did youwant them to just throw in a random noble citizen of color though he may seem out of place just so they wont seem racist? That's really the only route theycouldve went was to throw in a token cause theres really no other way it wouldve fit in, with the location this movie took place in

Hey_

I can't really go with the thought that this movie has a hidden agenda/is racist.

Throughout the entire film, the humans aren't humane at all, no matter what their hue.

Especially the protagonist.

His only "heroic" act is steeped in selfishness.

He helps Christopher with the hope that he'll return and reverse the effects of the fluid.

Blomkamp grew up in S. Africa, he drew upon the experiences he had there coming up.

Its highly unfortunate and upsetting that the he drew from such an ugly truth,

but it was still truth.

P.S.
I previewed my post to read the replies posted while i was typing my reply.

...If you didn't see that the movie was a parable for Apartheid...I can't help ya.

Julius F. Wrek

Originally Posted by Wade187

SoleOnEyez wrote:
You guys are reaching with this one. It was based in the heart of a slum IN africa. Slums everywhere have unsavory and barbaric characters in it.

I think the most barbaric of all the characters was the commander (white) who seemed hell bent on killing everything and everyone for sport. The most treacherous was the father in-law who heartlessly lied to his own daughter and subjected aliens to inhuman testing.

I could see if they portrayed black people that way if the movie was based in England or Australia....but they were in Africa. Stop reaching for racism.
Basically. You acting as if the Nigerians in the movie were just regular everyday people, it was basically a bunch of gangsters in the slums. Also I think it was meant to be like that to kind of show how humans in general tend to put aside there differences and come together once something which they see as different comes a long. In many instances people who themselves have been subject to racism, sexism, basically any kind of prejudice will disregard that and find reasons to put others through that. At least that's how I saw it, but I kinda had that mind state prior to watching the movie so maybe im biased. Also you yourself are being kinda hypocritical by saying it's racist yet your really only looking at it the way you want to see it. There were characters of all races who were inhumane so to speak in the movie yet you chose to only focus on the nigerians who played the roles gangsters and citizens of the slums. Did you want them to just throw in a random noble citizen of color though he may seem out of place just so they wont seem racist? That's really the only route they couldve went was to throw in a token cause theres really no other way it wouldve fit in, with the location this movie took place in

Did I say that only the Black Africans were portrayed as inhumane?

I'm asking someone to point out the valiance and humanity of the Black Africans in the movie?

How would a noble Black Africsn seem out of place in Africa?....Wow.

It was perfectly normal for them to be gangsters and prostitutes in the slum though?

Originally Posted by Julius Wrek

...If you didn't see that the movie was a parable for Apartheid...I can't help ya.

Exactly.

That the very base of the movie.

If people can't even discern that....our youth is in a truly sad state.

'District 9′ Alien Movie Drawing Criticism - "A Racist Movie About Racism…"

The filmmaker, Neill Blomkamp's heart was in the right place, but he didn't quite grasp his own topic. Because of that, DISTRICT 9's take on issues of xenophobia and race has a perspective and frame that is itself laden with those very issues.

Basically, it's a 'RACE MOVIE' with the same clichés I spoke about in this post on both the alien and human front.

(snip)

..And the real-live black people in the movie?? You know, the ones Blomkamp is basing his alien population on?

Ooga-booga negroes who think *eating* the aliens will somehow give them their ~*magic*~, gun-toting gangstas, hos, and yes, we even have a barely-there sidekick who is repeatedly called 'boy'.

HueyP in LouieV wrote:
Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

I see it, i really felt it was od to portray the nigerians like that, but no human was portrayed in a positive light in the film(you prolly got your own reasons for not referring to them all as Africans). The white guy was apart of a larger global greedy nazi org, and was really a coward. And to be honest, things like that are born out of desolate conditions like that. I'd imagine that the director, growing up in South Africa, really just drew upon his experiences, but i wouldn't put it beyond them to have a hidden agenda. And the other hero of the film was the black guy who exposed the corporation as well.
He wasn't a hero though, he was dudes sidekick.

He had basically no role in the movie.

That scene at the end of the movie was literally 10 seconds.

For real fam you going way out of your way now to look for racism. So it went from not one decent person of color to being that not one person with a largeroll of color was noble? So you over looking the fact that in this movie there was very few human beings at all depicted as noble, or even decent, just topoint out that the nigerians were worse? They were in fact depicted as more savage then the aliens, EVERYONE in the movie was. You must've been to busylooking for racism to notice the fact that this was the entire point of the movie. How the humans saw the aliens as savage and took savage routes to try andget rid of them, the same way we have been on earth since forever. In this movie the "white" government was by far depicted as the worst, whitesoldiers killing for pure joy, at least the nigerians in the movie had a purpose for the things that they did. You seem like the type to look for it regardlessso there isn't much that can be said to convince you that not everyone is out to get you or your people

http://pageslap.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/district-9-is-racist/
District 9 is racist

If you look at the film as an apartheid allegory, it has problems right off the bat. The aliens are loathsome, trash-eating vermin who fight endlessly, destroy property for no reason, and piss on their own homes, which isn't a truthful or flattering allegorical comparison for actual black South Africans under apartheid. Apartheid is terrible because humans were denied rights. The "apartheid" of these aliens isn't that terrible- it's kind of justifiable, because they're actually dangerous, violent and destructive.

(snip)

The Nigerians have a wailing "witch doctor". Who instructs them to eat the aliens. And they do it. Bloody, wriggling, and raw, of course.

We're told that the black prostitutes "service" the aliens sexually. ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME??!

And when Wikus' arm grows a claw, the Nigerian gang boss starts licking his chops, eager to commit cannibalism.

Yup, that's Hollywood's Africa, isn't it. Black Africans shown as degenerate savages who'll have sex with non-humans and are pretty damn eager to eat people.

Disgusting.

The thing that really upsets me is that most people who see this movie won't question, or even notice, this incredibly racist portrayal. It wasn't even necessary for the plot, and in fact the racist elements actually created some plot holes.

The fact that they where pimping women to the aliens had me like?
eyes.gif

From the witch doctors to the shark-head and cat food diet.
smh.gif

Even threw in a big scam scheme,
scamming aliens of weapons ftw.
laugh.gif

Africans = Hooligans

District 9? More like Aliens in Africa: The Big Escape.

The more and more I start to watch these Big Hollywood movies
the more and more I start not to care for movies at all.

I mean yeah they are a good view,
but its always the same good guy bad guy story with a little love mushy mushy.
The consequences of the little details in the movie are much dier than
the plots.

I guess its gets a thumbs up though, cause it looked good and the robot collected
bullets with his magnetic hand.

Back
Top Bottom