* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

If Shaq goes to Boston, it'll be interesting to see which O'Neal gets more playing time. A big man lineup of O'Neal, O'Neal, Perkins, Garnett, and Davis would abuse Miami's bigs.
Hell of a squad out there, none of those bigs will be relied on to play heavy minutes so they SHOULD stay fresh.

They have so much scoring off the bench...

Nate to back up Rondo, Wafer to back-up Ray Ray, and Marquis to back up Pierce?
sick.gif

Then back-ups bigs in O'Neal, O'Neal, and Davis?

Jesus. That's filthy.

Suns to open at Portland

The Suns will open their 2010-11 regular season at Portland, their first-round playoff victim from April, and start their home schedule against the Los Angeles Lakers, who knocked them out in the conference finals in May.

The NBA will release portions of the regular season schedule early for the first time in a one-hour special today on NBATV. The show begins at 4 p.m. Arizona time.

The announcements will include the opening-week schedule and holiday games on Christmas and Martin Luther King Day. The Suns played on both those holidays last season. They will play on MLK again this year at New York.

The home opener against the Lakers is on the second night of a back-to-back set after playing at Utah. Their first two games against the Lakers last season were also on the second nights of back-to-backs.

Damn, now Shaq is going to make up some new stupid nicknames for all those guys in Boston. truly sad what this goof has been brought to.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

If Shaq goes to Boston, it'll be interesting to see which O'Neal gets more playing time. A big man lineup of O'Neal, O'Neal, Perkins, Garnett, and Davis would abuse Miami's bigs.
Hell of a squad out there, none of those bigs will be relied on to play heavy minutes so they SHOULD stay fresh.

sick.gif

Jesus. That's filthy.
In theory it works but there's a lot of variables on the roster. Nate has to limit his freestyling, who knows if Wafer will buy into the team, Marquis disappears in stretches, Shaq has to check his ego, Jermaine has to maintain his pulse, and that's not even getting into the health issues or the loss of Thibodeau. I like what Danny has done with limited resources, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that the roster is "filthy." It's a solid team that will compete and will be hungry, but it is going to be a battle in the East this year.

Melo drama about to begin.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Oh and Eli isn't great, but the thing I like about him is he is passionate about his work. Cabin Fever was good, he was good in Inglourious Basterds, the rest has been real iffy.

He's a true horror fan, and is just a passionate fan who made it big.

Heat @ Celtics 730 EST
Rockets @ Lakers 1030 EST

They're banking on Yao making that game.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

sick.gif

Jesus. That's filthy.
In theory it works but there's a lot of variables on the roster. Nate has to limit his freestyling, who knows if Wafer will buy into the team, Marquis disappears in stretches, Shaq has to check his ego, Jermaine has to maintain his pulse, and that's not even getting into the health issues or the loss of Thibodeau. I like what Danny has done with limited resources, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that the roster is "filthy." It's a solid team that will compete and will be hungry, but it is going to be a battle in the East this year.
Doesn't every team have "variables?" I mean it just seems you're coming up with issues to come up with issues. Marquis disappears? Really? Only reason he's disappeared is because he gets hurt or he gets his minutes cut down in Indiana. He was always solid, ALWAYS. Do you think Shaq is going to the Celtics expecting a starting gig? If he wanted minutes, he would have went somewhere else. He wants somewhere where he can win. Jermaine was a damn decent Center for the Heat last year, he played 70 games last year at JUST under 30 minutes a game, he won't be asked of that in Boston, he'll be fine.

The loss of TT, that's something I can recognize, Nate, okay, but if you're going to start making excuses, you can make excuses for 90% of the teams out there that made moves, you make moves to stay in contention, and I think the Celtics have done that.

Don't do it Melo. Just play out this season, don't talk about demanding trades or nothing wild and come to NY.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

sick.gif

Jesus. That's filthy.
Doesn't every team have "variables?" I mean it just seems you're coming up with issues to come up with issues. Marquis disappears? Really? Only reason he's disappeared is because he gets hurt or he gets his minutes cut down in Indiana. He was always solid, ALWAYS. Do you think Shaq is going to the Celtics expecting a starting gig? If he wanted minutes, he would have went somewhere else. He wants somewhere where he can win. Jermaine was a damn decent Center for the Heat last year, he played 70 games last year at JUST under 30 minutes a game, he won't be asked of that in Boston, he'll be fine.

The loss of TT, that's something I can recognize, Nate, okay, but if you're going to start making excuses, you can make excuses for 90% of the teams out there that made moves, you make moves to stay in contention, and I think the Celtics have done that.
Yes every team has variables but I'm definitely not just coming up with issues for the sake of them. Boston has issues with age, health, and chemistry. If you think that every team has those variables to the same degree that the Celtics do then I don't know what to tell you.

Marquis was not a difference maker last season and he should have contributed more. Injuries got in the way and I'm hoping for more next season, but I'm not exactly brimming with confidence over what he has displayed so far, especially since Tony Allen did such a commendable job spelling Allen. Does Shaq expect a starting gig? I don't know. He might say that he doesn't but players who were once superstars rarely go quietly. Just look at McGrady, he couldn't even acknowledge the fact that he might be a role player next year. Shaq, who was more of a superstar than 99% of the current players, is known for disrupting chemistry when the situation isn't right and there's no telling if he will bring more to the table than he takes off. For all I know he could start while Perkins is injured and expect things to stay that way when he returns. Jermaine was servicable last season but he has always been fragile and coming off the bench doesn't necessarily reduce the risk of injury. And all this isn't even touching the health of the Big Three. I don't exactly see the Lakers or the Magic or the Heat or the Bulls dealing with these issues.

The bottom line is that the Celtics made some solid moves this offseason, I'm not denying that. But adding a few older veterans to an already aging team isn't exactly a sure-fire recipe for success. Two years ago this team was dead in the water with one injury and last year's team could have easily faded down the stretch. Obviously, that didn't happen, but that doesn't change the fact that the Celtics are one year older and one injury away from being a very fragile team. The good news is that this team has been there before so I'll just hope for an injury-free regular season and hope that the roster gels at the right time.

Miami signs a bum and everyone gasps at how deep they are and what great moves they've made.

Boston signs a guy and they get called old. 

Same situation as last year.  The Celtics are gonna do the same thing next season, play like crap thru the regular season, hit the jets once the postseason starts.  I don't care if they go 41-41, the Celtics are comin out the East if they are healthy come spring time. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Miami signs a bum and everyone gasps at how deep they are and what great moves they've made.

Same situation as last year.  The Celtics are gonna do the same thing next season, play like crap thru the regular season, hit the jets once the postseason starts.  I don't care if they go 41-41, the Celtics are comin out the East if they are healthy come spring time. 
word 

Originally Posted by CP1708

A young team signing an old player is not the same as an old team signing an old player. If Boston makes it to the playoffs unscathed then it was a smart decision. If injuries come into play and everyone has to play more minutes than expected, then it wasn't a great gamble. Simple as that.

I don't think Melo would go there but trade Granger for a solid PG, have those contracts come off the books and make a run at Melo.

Fair enough, I'm just not going to sit here and criticize the Celtics when they did what they could to try and liven up the roster. They have a very deep front-court, and with the exception of Shaq and JO, the guys they signed are relatively young, and capable of scoring.

Marquis should fill TA's shoes fine, he might not be as good of a defender, but he's not bad either. Marquis didn't contribute more last year because he was injured off-and-on the entire season.

Back
Top Bottom