* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

Originally Posted by h3at23

Now, if the NYK feel the cost of the whole package is too much, I guess that's understandable

That's what i'm saying. even for just the salaries to match with okafur we would have to give just about every asset we have, except Amar'e, Felton and the Russian. I would be pretty pissed to give up both Gallo and Randolph if we have to take back okafurs contract.

gallo can 100% be traded for the right circumstance.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

I'm alright with not putting Okafor in a deal with the Knicks. That would mean Gray, Curry, or possibly Turiaf would be starting at center, anyway.
You may not be worried about it, but you know good and damn well they aren't trading CP3 without dumping that disaster of a contract...

Originally Posted by franchise3

Without taking back Okafor, include Gallo + Randolph.

Take back Okafor, then Gallo and pieces, IMO

roll.gif

then NO hangs up the phone and starts talking to other teams

[h1]Okafor's Contract Makes Chris Paul to Orlando Unlikely[/h1]
7/25/2010 2:33 PM ET By Tim Povtak

chris-paul-1280083815.jpg
The Orlando Magic might be atop the wish list of disgruntled point guard Chris Paul -- which is expected with center Dwight Howard on their roster -- but they don't sound very confident of landing him anytime soon.

They are not convinced that New Orleans will be bullied into trading their franchise player, not with two years remaining on his contract.

And they still are not interested in taking the bloated contract of teammate Emeka Okafor to make it happen because it would sentence them to long-term payroll disaster.

A desperate team with more salary cap flexibility -- like the New York Knicks, for example – would be more accommodating for the Hornets, if they decide there is no choice but to trade Paul.

"Much ado about nothing,'' is how Magic coach Stan Van Gundy Saturday described to the Orlando Sentinel report of his team being linked to Paul.

"We are only involved in this story because someone said he wants to be traded and someone said he wants to come to Orlando,'' Van Gundy told FanHouse Sunday. "It's a New Orleans and Chris Paul story.''

Magic general manager Otis Smith described the Orlando/Paul link as "rumors.''

Paul is expected to meet Monday with Hornets president Hugh Weber, general manager Dell Demps and head coach Monty Williams to discuss his unhappiness with the direction of the franchise and his desire to be traded.

Paul had hoped that the Hornets would become a bigger player in free agency this summer, particularly after seeing the Miami Heat land LeBron James and Chris Bosh and seeing several other teams make aggressive moves to improve. The Hornets, who are in the midst of being sold, have no salary cap room and have added only backup center Aaron Gray in free agency.

Hornets president Hugh Weber told John Reid of the Times Picayune that he has no plans to trade Paul. But that hasn't stopped Paul's agent, Leon Rose, from contacting various teams on Paul's wish list to try and gauge their interest in the star point guard. An ESPN report, citing a source close to Paul, said that the Magic and Knicks were 1-2 on his list of teams he would like to join.

The Hornets, though, are under no obligation to accommodate Paul, and they try and convince him Monday to buy into their future plans with a new coach and new general manager. If they decide to trade him, they will open the bidding to everyone, create a frenzy of interest.

As FanHouse first reported before the NBA Draft last month, the Magic spoke with the Hornets about the possible availability of Paul, and a potential trade that would have included Vince Carter (the last year of his contract), Jameer Nelson and center Marcin Gortat for Paul and Okafor.

Unless the Magic could find a third team to take Okafor – and the four-years, $52 million left on his contract -- his inclusion would hinder any potential trade talks.

If the Magic had Okafor on the roster, it would give them four contracts at or near the NBA maximum, crippling them deep in the luxury tax for many years.

For example, their payroll through the 2012-13 would include Rashard Lewis ($23 million), Dwight Howard ($19 million), Paul ($17 million) and Okafor ($13 million).

According to the Memphis Commercial Appeal, the Grizzlies also talked trade before the draft with the Hornets for Paul that was heavily loaded with draft picks so they could start rebuilding without him.

Shortly after Miami had signed James and Bosh to join Dwyane Wade, Paul talked about the possibility of forming a similar trio in New York that included Amare Stoudemire, who recently signed there, and Carmelo Anthony, who can become a free agent next summer. Anthony, though, has been talking with his current team, the Denver Nuggets about a three-year $65 million extension.

The Grizzlies tried to acquire Chris Paul before the NBA draft butthey are not a viable suitor today as the New Orleans Hornets pointguard reportedly seeks a trade to one of four teams.

Memphis lined up with several teams in an attempt to deal for Paul during the weeks leading up to the June 24 draft.

The Grizzlies' package is said to have included all three of their first-round picks.

It is not known which players the Grizzlies were willing to partwith in a proposed transaction that was roundly rejected by theHornets.

New Orleans has insisted that it has no plans to trade Paul.

However, several national media outlets reported late last weekthat Paul will push for a trade to Orlando, New York, Portland orDallas.

Even if the Hornets agree to trade Paul, it is unlikely that theywould move him to another squad in the Western Conference. So Orlandoand New York appear to be the most plausible destinations.

Paul is expected to meet with Hornets president Hugh Weber,recently hired general manager Dell Demps and new head coach MontyWilliams on Monday to discuss the team's future.

Paul, though, has determined his career must continue elsewhere.The New Orleans Times-Picayune reported Friday that Paul's agent, LeonRose, reached out to all four teams last week.

The Grizzlies were motivated by Paul's obvious all-starcredentials. The front office also saw landing Paul as a major boost ina quest to satisfy owner Michael Heisley's playoff guarantee for the2010-11 season.

Memphis brass remains lukewarm about returning starter Mike Conley.But the organization will only supplant Conley with an obvious upgrade.

Paul has two years and roughly $31 million remaining on his contract. He is scheduled to earn $15 million this season.

Memphis no longer has the multiple draft picks to offer. A dealinvolving the Griz would require them to send several key playersand/or involve a third team to match Paul's salary in a trade.

It wouldn't surprise me if they called us in for a 3-way to get Nelson. He would be an upgrade over Conley, but I'm not sure what we would offer them to make the 3-way good. Maybe Thabeet to New Orleans in some kinda package.

People would then start complaining about how we helped Orlando get Chris Paul and now they will be even better for a long time and %!!@+.

Originally Posted by franchise3

TMac will do all right off the bench for Chicago. It's a good signing, as, the Bulls need somebody to facilitate besides Rose. His offensive explosiveness is gone, but TMac is a great passer/setting people up. This dude has been talking about it's not about the money, and how he wants to join a contender, so, we'll see if he balks about coming off the bench. If he does..
smh.gif
T-Mac should just sign there since Tim Grover will be around town as well.

Xavier Henry, the Grizzlies' lottery pick who sat out the entirety of the Las Vegas Summer League due to a contract dispute with Memphis, still hasn't signed his rookie deal. As noted previously on FanHouse, the Grizzlies have refused to offer Henry the maximum amount allowed under league rules, which equates to a 2010-11 salary of $2 million, without Henry agreeing to tie $300,000 of that to performance bonuses. That's where the dispute lies -- Henry (represented by powerful Arn Tellem) thinks the incentive clauses are out of line and won't sign, and the Grizzlies won't concede to get a potentially valuable young talent into the program. Specific details of what Henry would have to do to meet the bonuses remain unknown.

Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace told FanHouse Sunday that the issue remains unresolved, but that Henry's camp has not requested a trade to a team who will pay him the $2 million guaranteed. Wallace declined to get into specifics regarding the proposed incentives, but noted that this is not unheard-of.

In fact, Mark Deeks of ShamSports.com reported last year that all but six 2009 first-round draft picks had performance bonuses included in their max rookie deals. Tellem had three 2009 first-round picks, and one of the three (Gerald Henderson, picked 12th by the Bobcats) reportedly had performance bonuses in his contract. This would lead one to assume Tellem isn't compl opposed to performance bonuses for rookie contracts, but is opposed to the incentive structure offered by the Grizzlies.

Memphis' two 2009 first-round picks -- Hasheem Thabeet and DeMarre Carroll -- signed max rookie scale deals. Wallace told FanHouse using performance bonuses for rookie deals is an organizational "best practice" the Grizzlies are embracing.

Neither side appears to be backing down. The closer we get to the start of training camp in late September, the more worrisome this becomes for both parties. The Grizzlies sure don't want to start a potential run for the playoffs without a prized rookie, and Henry certainly doesn't need to start off his NBA career in street clothes. Without knowing the details of the bonuses offered by Memphis, it's difficult to discern who's wearing the black hat here.

But it's worth noting that only one team is having this problem right now

I think a 3rd team has to be involved, for anyone to get CP3 involved.

If Memphis was able to offer 3 draft picks, Zbo and maybe OJ i think NO would have taken it.

laugh.gif
Mike, I think you got something against the city of Memphis and the Grizzlies as a team including their players. The ONLY time I see you post stuff about them is when its something noteworthy of being bad.

I honestly don't like that they are doing this with Henry. A guy who I think can actually contribute to the team. They should've did it last season with Carroll and Thabeet. This is also something that you don't want to be put out there because the team already have prospects coming in that don't want to work out for us. This isn't making it any better.

IMO, Henry still should've played in summer league. It would of been in his best interest because he's still playing to be a rotational player. With the way Sam looked in summer league and the acquisition of Tony Allen, he should be concerned with that. The contract situation will get worked out though, its just the fact that its taking forever.

I'm just about convinced Paul is staying put. After reading those CBA article even I know it needs to be changed. Okafor hurts more than he helps any team. Paul may just clam up and act like they convinced him to stay and bolt in 2 years after nobody wants to do a trade with NO and if he does get traded it'll be to a team that's really not a contender.

I'm a T-Mac fan, I just hope he fits into what they are trying to do.

They do need somebody else on the perimeter that can create their own shot. If their roster were to stay the same without adding him, they would be passing the ball with no reliable go to play other than a Rose/Boozer or Noah pick n' roll. Korver not going to make up the team 3-point shooting by himself. He's good for 1 or 2 a game. So, I like the T-Mac signing. I just hope its not a curse.
laugh.gif

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Grizzlies' Standoff With Xavier Henry Continues[/h1]

7/25/2010 3:30 PM ET By Tom Ziller

Xavier Henry, the Grizzlies' lottery pick who sat out the entirety of the Las Vegas Summer League due to a contract dispute with Memphis, still hasn't signed his rookie deal. As noted previously on FanHouse, the Grizzlies have refused to offer Henry the maximum amount allowed under league rules, which equates to a 2010-11 salary of $2 million, without Henry agreeing to tie $300,000 of that to performance bonuses. That's where the dispute lies -- Henry (represented by powerful Arn Tellem) thinks the incentive clauses are out of line and won't sign, and the Grizzlies won't concede to get a potentially valuable young talent into the program. Specific details of what Henry would have to do to meet the bonuses remain unknown.

Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace told FanHouse Sunday that the issue remains unresolved, but that Henry's camp has not requested a trade to a team who will pay him the $2 million guaranteed. Wallace declined to get into specifics regarding the proposed incentives, but noted that this is not unheard-of.

In fact, Mark Deeks of ShamSports.com reported last year that all but six 2009 first-round draft picks had performance bonuses included in their max rookie deals. Tellem had three 2009 first-round picks, and one of the three (Gerald Henderson, picked 12th by the Bobcats) reportedly had performance bonuses in his contract. This would lead one to assume Tellem isn't compl opposed to performance bonuses for rookie contracts, but is opposed to the incentive structure offered by the Grizzlies.

Memphis' two 2009 first-round picks -- Hasheem Thabeet and DeMarre Carroll -- signed max rookie scale deals. Wallace told FanHouse using performance bonuses for rookie deals is an organizational "best practice" the Grizzlies are embracing.

Neither side appears to be backing down. The closer we get to the start of training camp in late September, the more worrisome this becomes for both parties. The Grizzlies sure don't want to start a potential run for the playoffs without a prized rookie, and Henry certainly doesn't need to start off his NBA career in street clothes. Without knowing the details of the bonuses offered by Memphis, it's difficult to discern who's wearing the black hat here.

But it's worth noting that only one team is having this problem right now.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/25/grizzlies-standoff-with-xavier-henry-continues

Whats the deal with Memphis???

laugh.gif
@ u dudes not knowing bout KLJ's fascination....

also, X.Henry deserves better....I hope dude never plays a single game for Memphis and gets the hell outta town.

Back
Top Bottom