* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

I posted this in the Hornets Off Season thread

Paul To Portland…West To Orlando
July 22, 2010 - Leave a Response
What should have been a glorious day for the Hornets (the first in what’s been a very difficult month)…..turned sour because www.cbssports.com posted a story tonight with harsh quotes from people who say they are speaking on behalf of Chris Paul.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/...risis-with-paul

If the above column is even half true the Hornets have to start looking into trading Paul.

Look, I love CP3 and DO NOT want to see him traded. I wish new general manager Dell Demps would tell Paul (and his inner circle) to simmer down and play hard and that maybe good things will happen if the Hornets are heatlhy and focused.

But I doubt that will happen. Paul (and his people) will sulk and tension will grow between he and management.

So, Demps and new coach Monty Williams….in my opinion….have no choice but to start rebuilding.

And rebuilding is not such a bad idea. The Hornets have four good young players (Collison, Thornton, Brackins and Pondexter) and trading Paul and West can net them more young talent.

Fans immediately would not understand this move but heading down this path is probably the way the Hornets will have to go.

Of all the deals I’ve poured through the one that I keep coming back too sends CP3 to Portland:

***Chris Paul & Emeka Okafor to Portland (if CP3 is traded a team HAS to take Okafor and his horrible contract with him!!!!!)

***Greg Oden, Rudy Fernandez, Nicolas Batum, Andre Miller, The rights to Joel Freeland and a 2011 or 2012 1st round draft pick to New Orleans

This is a lot for Portland to give up but the Blazers now feature a starting lineup of:

CP3, Brandon Roy, Wesley Matthews/Luke Babbitt, LaMarcus Aldridge, Marcus Camby/Joel Przybilla/Emeka Okafor

That is a ready-to-win-now team that can compete with the Lakers in the West.

The Hornets get tons of young players with loads of talent. Oden is a former #1 overall pick who if healthy could be a dominating big man. Batum and Fernandez are skilled wings who Monty Williams helped develop in Portland. Freeland is a Brit who’s playing in Spain and who’s been compared to David Lee. Andre Miller is a veteran PG who’ll backup Darren Collison and the 1st round pick makes the deal work money-wise.

Now, if Paul is shipped away…David West also has to go. I can’t imagine D-West being happy on a rebuilding team.

***David West To Orlando

***Marcin Gortat & Brandon Bass To New Orleans

West to the Magic allows Orlando to slide Rashard Lewis back to his natural SF position. West being on a championship contender and in a contract year…I bet he’d be great for Orlando.

The Hornets get a young big man in Gortat who’s dying to start and a solid backup in Bass.

The Hornets would also have no use for Darius Songaila and could give him away to a team like the Los Angeles Clippers for a future 2nd round pick (kind of the same deal that Rasual Butler was part of last year).

Julian Wright and James Posey fall into the same category as Songaila. While JuJu would be easy to give away (perhaps to the Washington Wizards for a future 2nd rounder)….Posey will be more difficult to move because of his bad contract.

After These Deals:

The 2010-2011 (Chris Paul-less) Hornets:

1. Darren Collison, Andre Miller

2. Rudy Fernandez, Marcus Thornton

3. Nicolas Batum, Quincy Pondexter, Peja Stojakovic, James Posey

4. Marcin Gortat, Brandon Bass, Craig Brackins

5. Greg Oden, Aaron Grey, Joel Freeland

Call me crazy….but I think this is a young, dynamic, talented team. I’d love to see what Gortat and Oden (two 7-footers) could do as full time starters and I’ve been high on Batum and Fernandez for years! Collison is legit and the young players on the bench (led by Thornton) seem very very solid.

roll.gif
Wes Mathews, soft @#$ Lamarcus and 37 year old Camby with Paul and Roy compete with the Lakers?  On what planet? 

That deal sucks. 

Although, I do like West on the Magic, that's decent, but I'm sure they rather have Paul. 

D12, West, Lewis, VC, Nelson is nice imo.  VC still needs to grow a pair, but nice nonetheless. 

Originally Posted by Proshares

Why would Orlando trade Bass and Gortat for West? That doesn't make sense for them at all.

Probably cause D.West has only one year and PO. I didn't watch any of the Magic games but if I remember correctly they didn't even utilize Bass or Gortat which is probably why the trade scenario comes up I actually think it is a good trade for both teams.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

ESPN is saying CP3 list is

1.knicks
2.Magic
3.mavs
4.Portland
maybe Collison is Sessions 2.0
i see someone is still hungover

I wonder if Paul knows he's not a free agent?  Can't really pick and choose where you want to go when your team is holding all the cards. 

If something goes down with Paul, can you imagine the beads of sweat out in Denver soon after? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Collison is Sessions 2.0? Lol nawwww

I want to see him in Orlando. I think they would have the best chance at competing for a title than any other team on that list without making anymore major moves.

Originally Posted by yungchris504

Why would Orlando trade Bass and Gortat for West? That doesn't make sense for them at all.

Probably cause D.West has only one year and PO. I didn't watch any of the Magic games but if I remember correctly they didn't even utilize Bass or Gortat which is probably why the trade scenario comes up I actually think it is a good trade for both teams.

I think they'd be better off either having Bass play off Dwight at the 4 and Gortat as the back up rather than West and Dwight at the 4 and 5 with Anderson and Orton backing them up.  You're right about them not using the two at all but I'd think after seeing his rotations fail time after time, SVG would switch it up.

are you drunk this morning also?

why not trade for west? he is a legit scoring threat at PF that they never had next to D12. and he can step outside and hit jump shots. he wouldn't clog the lane next to D12

the boston and NO trade is dumb IMO. if CP3 went there it would be for 2 years and he would bounce because there window would be shut. and you lose 2 players that make your defense great in rondo and perkins

Perkins should be better by the starting of the season
ummmmmmmmmmm NO, perkins is out till the all star break

Wes Mathews, soft @#$ Lamarcus and 37 year old Camby with Paul and Roy compete with the Lakers?  On what planet?  

that backcourt with give the lakers MAJOR problems but that soft front line would be there down fall

why not trade for west? he is a legit scoring threat at PF that they never had next to D12. and he can step outside and hit jump shots. he wouldn't clog the lane next to D12

Look at my last post, who is backing the two of them up if you have him at the 4 and Dwight at the 5?  That move would kill their bench.  Bass ain't gonna be clogging up the lane next to Dwight and Gortat would only be backing Dwight up.

Look at my last post, who is backing the two of them up if you have him at the 4 and Dwight at the 5?  That move would kill their bench.  Bass ain't gonna be clogging up the lane next to Dwight and Gortat would only be backing Dwight up.

move lewis over to the PF spot if someone subs out, sign some vets to back them up.  if you can add someone that can score 20 points from that spot figure the backups out later

As in, Collison is nice, but let's see how he does with a full year starting gig under his belt before we annoint him CP3's heir apparent long term. He did a great job filling in, putting up nice stat lines, but, I saw Sessions do the same thing. Fill in, have monster games, but is now stuck in neutral.

Out of his preferred teams, Dallas seems like the best place to me.

As in, Collison is nice, but let's see how he does with a full year starting gig under his belt before we annoint him CP3's heir apparent long term. He did a great job filling in, putting up nice stat lines, but, I saw Sessions do the same thing. Fill in, have monster games, but is now stuck in neutral.

Out of his preferred teams, Dallas seems like the best place to me.

Originally Posted by ClevelandsPrince23

Who would the Mavs give up?  Cuban can't do Kidd that dirty....
Why not?

They could play Kidd and Paul on the floor together... They already do it with Terry and Barea and Roddy...

The Mavs are just in the best position to take on bad contracts IMO... IF New Orleans trades him, the Mavs are in as good or better shape than anybody to relieve all their financial burdens, and that would be their #1 priority...

All that said, they're not trading him before the season starts. Makes no sense to right now until all their season tickets are locked in. But sooner or later, they're gonna have to or they'll be left with nothing like Cleveland and Toronto.

move lewis over to the PF spot if someone subs out, sign some vets to back them up.  if you can add someone that can score 20 points from that spot figure the backups out later

I guess.  I just don't see a team that needs to make a big change like that to get deeper into the postseason.  We'll see.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by ClevelandsPrince23

Who would the Mavs give up?  Cuban can't do Kidd that dirty....
Why not?

They could play Kidd and Paul on the floor together... They already do it with Terry and Barea and Roddy...

The Mavs are just in the best position to take on bad contracts IMO... IF New Orleans trades him, the Mavs are in as good or better shape than anybody to relieve all their financial burdens, and that would be their #1 priority...

All that said, they're not trading him before the season starts. Makes no sense to right now until all their season tickets are locked in. But sooner or later, they're gonna have to or they'll be left with nothing like Cleveland and Toronto.
I was meaning as if the Mavs were to trade Kidd for CP3.  I agree NO should do something, or they will end up like us.  Toronto has it worse, though. 

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

So the Hornets would want who from Dallas? Do they want young players, picks and expirings?

this is the major question that needs to be ask

do they want expiring contracts only just to cut payroll,sell the team and move it some where.

or they want young players and picks

Back
Top Bottom