:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [1-1 @Rams 9/22 1:25PST]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
the black mountain 
nthat.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like Davis conceded the RT position to Brown. I read a few seasons back that Davis would also be a terrific G. Man such a turn around from last year's OL to this year's. We're going to surprise some people but I'm still waiting for the QB of the future for us to be relevant.

Last edited:
Offense looked a little better today 

Gabbert went 3-of-4 passing in a red-zone drill, completing touchdown throws to Garrett Celek (two) and Quinton Patton. Celek’s reaction to his scoring breakthrough: “Finally.” 

“We got a lot of great work in, a lot of long practices, a lot of good work for our offense against a great defense,” Gabbert said. “There’s been nothing but positives that come from it.”

Gabs seems to have a knack for hitting TEs in the redzone as the majority of his TDs since he began starting in the '15-'16 season through this year's preseason games, training camp, and practices have come from TEs McDonald, Celek, and Bell. 

"Chip Kelly says he needs more consistency from his young receivers."

Looking more and more like letting Boldin walk this season was a mistake. I know I've been saying this in this thread for months now but Boldin is rough, tough, and a 3-down WR every week. Not only was he our #1 in catches made, which was big, but even more important  he was our #1 at picking up 1st conversions on 3rd as well as catching TDs. Every time Boldie makes a catch for Detroit I'm gonna be SMH at the 49ers front office for letting him go.

Davis got active on Twitter today, joked with DuJuan Harris about effectively shutting down a spin move attempt from one of Denver's front five. "That was me showing the little dude that I'm a better athlete than him"

Five minutes later Davis tweets "I'll probably be a Niner for life" 

Having boldin back would've been good but we aren't going anywhere and we need to give playing time to Patton Ellington smelter etc to see if they can develop and be a part of this team for the future. I would much rather have boldin than Simpson back though, boldin would've been a better teacher in my eyes.

Having boldin back would've been good but we aren't going anywhere and we need to give playing time to Patton Ellington smelter etc to see if they can develop and be a part of this team for the future. I would much rather have boldin than Simpson back though, boldin would've been a better teacher in my eyes.
Not to mention there is the looming possibility that Patton, Ellington, Smelter, & Simpson are not who we hoped they would be and will never be ready to fill our needs at WR no matter how many snaps or reps they're given. They've been on the team for a long time and although there's always been the hope or promise that at least one or two of the group would break out, so far I've seen very little from them. I think we're gonna need to hit the draft and free agent market for WRs next year because right now our WR corps SUCKS! 

Last edited:
is anyone surprised that guys like crabtree, delanie, stevie, etc. have gone on to have more success after leaving the niners??? torrey, after having a very successful career in baltimore, comes here only to see his career erode.

i have zero doubts that if you put bruce ellington on the steelers or patriots, he'd eat. i have faith chip will know exactly how to utilize this dude.

Last edited:

is anyone surprised that guys like crabtree, delanie, stevie, etc. have gone on to have more success after leaving the niners??? torrey, after having a very successful career in baltimore, comes here only to see his career erode.
I don't know if I would say Crabs went on to have "more success after leaving the niners", considering he posted career numbers, went to 2 NFC Championships, and one SB with the 9ers and 0 AFC Championships and 0 SBs with the Raiders so far. Heck, they haven't even made the playoffs yet. But on this one I guess we'll have to give it a year or two to see how the rest of his career plays out. I still wouldn't say Crabs has had "more success" though. 

Torrey Smith's career was already eroding before he came the 49ers because defenses learned his skillset and adapted. Ultimately, Ravens were probably smart to let him walk. Teams saw him play, recognized what he could/couldn't do, and since Smith didn't show anything new teams contained him. Same thing happened to Kap with his runs and throws. Teams saw he could run, hedged their bets on shutting down the run and hoping he couldn't throw, and here we are today. 
Originally Posted by red81  

i have zero doubts that if you put bruce ellington on the steelers or patriots, he'd eat. i have faith chip will know exactly how to utilize this dude.
I have my personal doubts that if you put Ellington on the Steelers he would even see more than a few snaps. He's not beating out Martavias Bryant or Antonio Brown at WR1&2 and I think the Steelers would want to give Coates reps at WR3 considering he's their rookie and may pan out to be a better WR than Ellington. Ellington --> Steelers = Ellington WR4 at best IMO.

I sure hope you're right about Ellington tho because we're on our 2nd day of no Ellington at practice from an ankle sprain and this is a guy who has already only played a dozen games in 2 years due to recurrent injuries. 

Last edited:
torrey smith had one his best years before leaving baltimore--11 touchdowns and 49 receptions--how is that already eroding?

as far as bruce goes, it's all conjecture, but i've been following bruce since he was at south carolina and seen what he can do.

crabtree is absolutely having more success in oakland. carr is in a different stratosphere compared to kaepernick. the numbers might not reflect it because the 32 touchdowns carr threw are evenly distrubuted.

Last edited:
touchdowns > yards

not even debatable. 

looks like his career was anything but eroding.

Last edited:

"Chip Kelly says he needs more consistency from his young receivers."

Looking more and more like letting Boldin walk this season was a mistake. I know I've been saying this in this thread for months now but Boldin is rough, tough, and a 3-down WR every week. Not only was he our #1 in catches made, which was big, but even more important  he was our #1 at picking up 1st conversions on 3rd as well as catching TDs. Every time Boldie makes a catch for Detroit I'm gonna be SMH at the 49ers front office for letting him go.
This was a bit of a question mark for me. I admire his character a lot. Next man up!

Last edited by a moderator:
The funny thing is it takes both TDs and yards to win games, pretty hard to get the former without the latter, not to mention the number of games won by a last minute field goal but we can agree to disagree. Like I said I think Smith has been trending downward since before he became a 9er. Sure he had 11 TD's in '13 but that's bookended by 4 TDs the year before and after as a Raven. When you consider he had 7 & 8 TDs in his first two seasons it makes the 11 TD's stand out even more as an anomally to a generally downward headed trend. 

Report is that Tank had another strong day at practice, looks our defense is going to be ready to put us in positions to win games despite a struggling offense. 

Like I said I think Smith has been trending downward since before he became a 9er. 
except he wasn't. the numbers don't lie. 
laugh.gif
 you can't have a career high in one of the most important measurables of your position and be trending downward. that's contradicting.

there's a reason torrey was so uncharacteristically demonstrative last season, especially in the green bay game. he was manned up all game and beating his guy, but his QB couldn't get him the ball. dom capers was dialing up blitzes and calling cover 0 the entire game. watching that all-22 was so frustrating. 

Last edited:
this about sums up the all-22 from that game. torrey constantly beating his man. however, his QB continuously failed to get him the ball.

12dumaHbr1Tw1a.gif

torrey smith is a split end. no **** he lost the "#1" job to steve smith. torrey is not a flanker, he's a split end and one of the better ones at that.

terrible argument. 

Last edited:
Edit: or are you saying that he's trending down as a 9er? Not trying to argue just having a discussion. 

Last edited:
OL coach pat flaherty talking about the mountain 
nthat.gif
 if trent can recomp his body to about 330 lbs, sharpen his footwork and technique, he might have a future at left tackle.
he's so damn big 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom