***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I'm lucky that my polling site is within walking distance and only takes a few minutes.

This is gonna be every Trump supporter seeing a POC walking to a polling site

1596865291549.gif

I feel like there might be a subtle distinction you're raising between being evicted and experiencing homelessness, and how each, on its own terms, affects the right to vote. rexanglorum rexanglorum am I hearing you right?

Leaving aside the immense difficulty of civic participation in the midst of eviction, here's what I understand about the basic question of whether one can or can't vote, and how:

"Even though an address is required in order to vote, the residence you report on your Voter Registration Form doesn't have to be a home or apartment. Homeless registrants can list a shelter address where they could receive election mail. You can also simply provide a description of the location you consider to be your home. This includes cross streets, landmarks, or any place that you recognize as your place of residence."

(https://www.abc10.com/article/news/...tion/103-1fc547b3-c072-435d-8d88-7ddcf3360d6a).

@RustyShackleford already mentioned the time required to register before the vote.

The more distressing issue with all of this is that:
  1. We cannot be lulled to think that laws and legal norms will save us. I can easily see a challenge to the idea that a home is a mere location, or cross street.
  2. What 'counts' as a legitimate ballot is not just a rhetorical (or tweetable) question, but will be decided by poll workers and probably the courts.

I was speaking strictly about the narrow legal and political implications of registered voters being evicted a few weeks before Election Day. Obviously homelessness itself is so demoralizing and physically taxing that that is itself a depressant for voting.

Obviously, a freelance graphic designer who gets evicted from his apartment in the city at the end of this month and moves back home with his parents in the suburbs is is in a better place mentally and physically to register at the new address and vote. In a better place than someone who is evicted and now scrambling to find space at a shelter, if that’s even available.

It seems like if you’re evicted before your State’s cutoff, you’re out of luck unless people do as you alluded to and vote anyway and put the onus on the system to deny them the franchise in what amounts to a mass disenfranchisement of poor people.

Back
Top Bottom