***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Nevada is doing rank choice early voting for the caucus. It could either be an inventive way to drive turnout and make the process smoother, or a complete **** show when people realize that votes in the room are not the only thing that counts.

Last edited:
Nevada is doing rank choice early voting for the caucus. It could earlier be an inventive way to drive turnout and make the process smoother, or a complete **** show when people realize that votes in the room are not the only thing that counts.

Honestly this is how they all should be. Pick your top 3 candidates, rank them, and the person with the greatest weighted average of the 3 should win that state. Caucuses are kind of like that, but they take way too long. Just do all the states at the same time too, that way we get rid of the herd mentality of the first couple states disproportionately giving candidates momentum that probably have not earned it. There is no reason for this process to drag out six months.

That's the irony in all of this. Bloomberg got into the campaign because he didn't think Bernie could beat Trump and now he is basically just helping Bernie.
I don't know Bloomberg's reasons for entering the race, but I think it's worth pointing out that his politics are closer to Trump's than to Bernie's and it's in no way close. He might loathe Trump more on a personal level, but Bernie's politics are anathema to him.

Mannnnnnnnnn **** completely off with this.

You didn't give a ****. You were a proud supporter of it.
Coincidentally, here's a direct quote from a book I was just reading this morning: "Under Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, the number of police stops rose from fewer than 100,000 to almost 700,000. And most of this activity was concentrated in the city's poorest, most segregated communities."

Not that this info is hard to find, but the timing was unparalleled :lol:

EDIT: junglejim junglejim beat me to it.

You know you are admitting that Harris was targeted by that attack because she was black.

That is white privilege. That is exactly what @malikdagoat was pointing out.

If this was the calculation it was not about setting a benchmark for candidates to hit on criminal justice, it was just about figuring out a political attack that would stick. Then if that is the case, this whole "Kamala is a cop" is bad faith bull****.

Yes I agree that she was targeted because she was black.
The question was why does Klobuchar get a pass and not Kamala.
She was trying to get black support while having a history of locking up minorities.
Bloomberg will get a pass too.

The revisionist history and tap dancing I've been seeing from pundits who have been vocal about criminal justice in recent years only to argue in favor of giving Bloomberg a pass right now :lol: :smh:

Given how long his money is I wouldn't be surprised if he had a lot of non-Bloomberg 'journos' on his payroll the same way he's been buying endorsements

Read that folks can get $150 for defending him online :rofl:

Shades of 45 handing out cash to black voters :lol:

i can easily see this as the path for Sanders to beat Trump
86A55229-CEE6-40FA-BFAF-A43C59DC0F5F.jpeg

677D062F-6822-4719-ABA8-342F93759DAC.gif

i can easily see this as the path for Sanders to beat Trump
86A55229-CEE6-40FA-BFAF-A43C59DC0F5F.jpeg

677D062F-6822-4719-ABA8-342F93759DAC.gif
This is a weird path to victory for Bernie.

Bernie is winning Nevada, easily. It is a blue state and trending more blue. So is Virginia.

He is probably not wining Ohio and Iowa.

Zona, NC, and Wisconsin are swing States. I think they are all toss-uos.

His stance on fracking might put PA in play for Trump. Unless Dem turnout in urban areas rise.

Last edited:
Joy Reid out here making the case that the Democratic Party is (and/or should be) the left wing of neoliberalism better than any leftist I've seen. Below is a summary of Reid's recent arguments in favor of a Bloomberg candidacy/presidency, which should also be considered in light of her overt hostility toward Bernie Sanders's campaigns over the past four-plus years.
  1. He's a philanthropist who has given money to environmental causes and to fight the NRA. (Okay, cool, kind of)
  2. He has bought influence with black mayors via his philanthropy and those efforts are now bearing fruit in a series of endorsements.
  3. He will continue the barbaric supply-side economic policies of the Trump administration, just without Trump's loathsome personality, which might appeal to Republican voters.
  4. He will be the lesser of two evils vs. Trump, and disillusioned voters will vote for him in the general election regardless of whether they actually like him or not.
  5. He might be willing to spend $2 billion of his own money to get himself elected—that is, he has a great chance of single-handedly buying a democratic presidential election.
  6. He's someone everyone could conceivably "sleep good" at night having voted for.
  7. He will fight dirty like a Republican because he is, in fact, a Republican ("or used to be, anyway").
  8. Reid also compares him to FDR for some incomprehensible reason.
On the bad side, Bloomberg is implicated in stop-and-frisk, tough-on-crime policies, and gentrification.

:lol: :rofl:

I'm not going to say that Bernie will have a Rooseveltian landslid but I will say that he is able to change the electorate. He will change it at the margins but that's enough because that's how elections are decided.

Bernie will poach some of Trump's most marginal voters, he will have more students voting, he will have more voters making less than 40k, he will bring in more naturalized citizens who don't speak English. Despite all the stereotyping and mystification up on the debate stages, the midwest has lots of those hitherto unactivated voters. As does the South, for that matter.

It also seems like Dems are too pessimistic about the 2020 election. Dems were too optimistic about their chances in 2016, bouyed by the narrative about "demographics as destiny" and wins in 2008 and 2012, Dems were gut punched in 2016 and act like numerous States, which Obama won in 2012, are unwinnable.

Trump won Florida, Ohio, Pensylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan by some fairly small margins. Trump could get beaten pretty badly in the electoral college with the right mobilization game.

I'm not going to say that Bernie will have a Rooseveltian landslid but I will say that he is able to change the electorate. He will change it at the margins but that's enough because that's how elections are decided.

Bernie will poach some of Trump's most marginal voters, he will have more students voting, he will have more voters making less than 40k, he will bring in more naturalized citizens who don't speak English. Despite all the stereotyping and mystification up on the debate stages, the midwest has lots of those hitherto unactivated voters. As does the South, for that matter.

It also seems like Dems are too pessimistic about the 2020 election. Dems were too optimistic about their chances in 2016, bouyed by the narrative about "demographics as destiny" and wins in 2008 and 2012, Dems were gut punched in 2016 and act like numerous States, which Obama won in 2012, are unwinnable.

Trump won Florida, Ohio, Pensylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan by some fairly small margins. Trump could get beaten pretty badly in the electoral college with the right mobilization game.

Yea, Bernie easily has the best chance to beat Trump

Joy Reid out here making the case that the Democratic Party is (and/or should be) the left wing of neoliberalism better than any leftist I've seen. Below is a summary of Reid's recent arguments in favor of a Bloomberg candidacy/presidency, which should also be considered in light of her overt hostility toward Bernie Sanders's campaigns over the past four-plus years.
  1. He's a philanthropist who has given money to environmental causes and to fight the NRA. (Okay, cool, kind of)
  2. He has bought influence with black mayors via his philanthropy and those efforts are now bearing fruit in a series of endorsements.
  3. He will continue the barbaric supply-side economic policies of the Trump administration, just without Trump's loathsome personality, which might appeal to Republican voters.
  4. He will be the lesser of two evils vs. Trump, and disillusioned voters will vote for him in the general election regardless of whether they actually like him or not.
  5. He might be willing to spend $2 billion of his own money to get himself elected—that is, he has a great chance of single-handedly buying a democratic presidential election.
  6. He's someone everyone could conceivably "sleep good" at night having voted for.
  7. He will fight dirty like a Republican because he is, in fact, a Republican ("or used to be, anyway").
  8. Reid also compares him to FDR for some incomprehensible reason.
On the bad side, Bloomberg is implicated in stop-and-frisk, tough-on-crime policies, and gentrification.

:lol: :rofl:
Yeah I watched the video in the article. If it that alone I don't see the big deal. Seems through most of it she is just giving analysis of why people might vote for or support Bloomberg, not advocating for Bloomberg directly. Seems like basic pundit talk.

Like I said to Rex, ole girl got a lot of bad takes, and is sometimes unfair to Bernie, but on the flip side Bernie supporters are too damn reactionary when it comes to her.

Last edited:
Nobody knows, it's not like prosecutors convinced a jury that Stone committed 7 crimes for the express purpose of protecting Trump.

The other MSNBC pundits get smoke as well when they're arguing in bad faith so it's not just limited to Joy Reid but she's had some galaxy brain level takes lately like Chris Matthews :lol:

Like this

Like what??

Back
Top Bottom