***Official Political Discussion Thread***

These vids popping up with ole girl are not a good look

There is the major problem I have with Harris's take on this. She like many other people see a problem, but instead of looking at the systemic causes for it she instead puts blame on what she sees as a moral failing of a certain group. While I do not think she is a racist, this is exactly the worldview racist have about minorities.

Many liberal and progressive black politician preach responsibility for politics to black folk. They often mix it in with they talk of systemic failings, it is annoying to me but ok I get it. Black folk preach a lot of self-reliance to one another. And coming from the right person they know they mean well.

However, while Barrack Obama told black people they should stop feeding their kids junk food for breakfast, he didn't seriously support criminalizing them if they did.

Someone needs to get in her *** for this at a debate.

Last edited:
There is the major problem I have with Harris's take on this. She like many other people see a problem, but instead of looking at the systemic causes for it she instead puts blame on what she sees as a moral failing of a certain group. While I do not think she is a racist, this is exactly the worldview racist have about minorities.

Many liberal and progressive black politician preach responsibility for politics to black folk. They often mix it in with they talk of systemic failings, it is annoying to me but ok I get it. Black folk preach a lot of self-reliance to one another. And coming from the right person they know they mean well.

However while Barrack Obama told black people they should stop feeding their kids junk food for breakfast, he didn't seriously support criminalizing them if they did.

Yea.. it’s troubling hearing the way she talks about things and then uses the one example of finding the single mother with 2 kids, 2 jobs and homeless as the 1 example of where what she set up was able to help someone out (while disregarding the time/financial costs that could have been incurred because of her policies)

But if you make a law that affects a crap ton of people, well you can’t be there for everyone to try understand their circumstances.. and what about the ramifications of even getting down that path in the 1st place

Seems like she’s talking from a position of privilege without fully appreciating/empathizing the circumstances of individuals

I don’t expect the average joe blow to fully appreciate how many considerations need to go into laws and how much more thought has to go into it.. but her, I do

However while Barrack Obama told black people they should stop feeding their kids junk food for breakfast, he didn't seriously support criminalizing them for not doing so.

My takeaway after watching the clip and reading a couple articles --

Her motivation was based on crime (and other negative outcomes) being strongly linked to whether a kid attended school growing up. Also, they weren't just trying to lock up the parents as they pleased. The goal was to connect them with resources that would help their kids get to school more often. That sounds like at least an attempt to identify a systemic cause and do what she could in her power to help. Few parents were actually arrested. The one parent who was arrested and jailed 180 days had ignored numerous attempts to talk to school officials who reached out to her about the truancy. Also, fwiw, she was not black and she had a criminal record. I would like to think CPS was involved too but I didn't see it in the article.

As for this throwaway line: "Those targeted were poor, people of color and unable to represent themselves adequately in the justice system," it is completely based on this article: https://abc7.com/education/california-truancy-black-kids-at-highest-rate-in-state/306912/

I'm not saying I agree that hers was the best approach, and I really don't like the idea of using even the threat of legal action as a way to effect change, but I don't think it's as awful as the initial 2 or 3 lines make it seem.

edit--I will add, given the history of disproportionately targeting black Americans in the legal system, it is bad optics to introduce any criminal law that you know will affect a larger percentage of black parents to begin with.

Last edited:

I know some angels had to hold back Jesus because famb was gonna descend from the heavens like...

RichAnimatedBlueandgoldmackaw-size_restricted.gif

Back
Top Bottom