***Official Political Discussion Thread***

They’ve literally been running this astroturf play, NON STOP…and people refuse to see it. Plain as day, almost all the same characters.

**** is low key hopeless. Truly in a post truth society, with “alternative facts”.

People thought they were joking..

I explicitly pointed out all the ways Trump
And his team have grifted and conned the right wing to someone who used to claim “he’s not a trumper” but conveniently only bashes dems. He finally admitted he’s a Trumper and still can’t see how bad they were conned. It’s utter insanity.

Last edited:
This is such a @osh kosh bosh[/USER] type post regarding US politics :lol:.
I have no idea what this means. I just thought the contrast was funny.

Something ain’t right with dude. He’s doing “good” right now, but that is someone to watch. Couldn’t help but be cynical, after hearing him sound like MLK on the Boondocks. Hope the brother ain’t another wolf in sheep clothing.

Gotta do some research. The attack line by the GOP is evident too, and I hope *****s don’t just fall for THAT. But yeah, anyways….

Eh I think he was prob just an overachieving HS student who went to college and developed more radical politics.

He might be overcompensating a bit with the preacher voice.

But I don't think it's nefarious.

It does look funny tho. :lol:

So you think that a black dude that grew up mostly in inner city Memphis got radicalized at a liberal arts school in Maine

:smh: :lol:

Yah, it's just a guess

In that first vid he's talking about centrism and now he's a leftist politician,

So his politics seem to have changed, college is a time where a lot young people's political views change and develop.

So given his age I think it's reasonable guess.

I don't know dude's ideological arc, I can't read his mind either

But I think that there is a possibility that nearly a decade ago, a black college student with liberal views realized that he need to get the votes of a bunch of white people for student government, and presented himself in a way that was the most non-threatening to them.

And when he got home, he was freed of those restraints, he didn't need to do that anymore.

Like Based Jesus Based Jesus said, he is a son of a pastor, his mom was a school teacher, and in interviews his voice sounds closer to the college video than the speech.

I really don't see the big deal regardless

Last edited:
I don't know dude's ideological arc, I can't read his mind

But I think that there is a possibility that nearly a decade ago, a black college student with liberal views realized that he need to get the votes of a bunch of white people for student government, and presented himself in a way that was most non-threatening.

And when he got home, he was freed of those restraints, he didn't need to do that anymore.

Like Based Jesus Based Jesus said, he is a son of a pastor and in interviews, his voice sounds closer to the college video than the speech.

I don't see why your guess is any more plausible than mine.

"a kid goes to college and develops more progressive political ideology" seems like a pretty common thing.

and I would hazard a guess that the average Bowdwin College student.

is way to the left of the average black inner city Memphis resident :lol:

Last edited:
Now adjust for age

Before you get smug, apply some basic stats

well one sample is 100% college attendees, and one sample isn't.

that alone I think it's a pretty good heuristic and pretty safe guess that a Bowdoin College student is further to the left than an average young Memphis resident.

We should all be able to recognize code switching. Most of us have done it.

well yah that's why it's funny.
same reason the Obama dap Key and Peele sketch is funny. the juxtaposition.

plus I think he's putting some extra sauce in it for the speech. which exaggerates the contrast.

well one sample is 100% college attendees, and one sample isn't.

that alone I think it's a pretty good heuristic and pretty safe guess that a Bowdoin College student is further to the left than an average young Memphis resident.
As some that taught STATs for years, I think it isn't.

I think it would be pretty hard to tease out who is more ideologically left among the groups if you make the needed adjustments, without both being located in places that both went above 30 points for Biden.

In the video, he mentions Republicans on campus. All these liberals arts schools have conservative groups in them. They are not some homogenous leftist bastions

I just think it is kinda wild for a black person to think that another Black person got progressive views from hanging out with white people

Then he moves back to his black city, to focus on local issues facing black people, because white people put him onto game

I mean I understand it is a guess, but it is a nasty guess

Albert Edwards, a global strategist at the 159-year-old bank Société Générale, just released a blistering note on the phenomenon that has come to be called Greedflation. Corporations, particularly in developed economies like the U.S. and U.K., have used rising raw material costs amid the pandemic and the war in Ukraine as an “excuse” to raise prices and expand profit margins to new heights, he said. And the French investment bank isn’t just historic: It’s one of the select banks considered to be “systemically important” by the Financial Stability Board, the G20’s international body dedicated to safeguarding the global financial system.

Furthermore, Edwards wrote, in the Tuesday edition of his Global Strategy Weekly, after four decades of working in finance, he’s never seen anything like the “unprecedented” and “astonishing” levels of corporate Greedflation in this economic cycle. To his point, a January study from the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City found that “markup growth”—the increase in the ratio between the price a firm charges and its cost of production—was a far more important factor driving inflation in 2021 than it has been throughout economic history.

Edwards added that he fears the “super-normal profit margins” of corporations in the U.S. and abroad could eventually “inflame social unrest” if consumers continue to struggle with inflation.

“The end of Greedflation must surely come. Otherwise, we may be looking at the end of capitalism,” he warned. “This is a big issue for policymakers that simply cannot be ignored any longer.”

Edwards noted that many of his colleagues are “less sympathetic to the use of price controls” because of this history, but he argues their use may be warranted because “something seems to have broken with capitalism.”

I just think it is kinda wild for a black person to think that another Black person got progressive views from hanging out with white people

Then he moves back to his black city, to focus on local issues facing black people, because white people put him onto game

I mean I understand it is a guess, but it is a nasty guess

No I think black people are normal humans, and college is an important time where you develop your political viewpoints.

And that tends to move in a more progressive direction when you hang out with other progressives.

Im saying he's probably a normal young person with a normal development path.

If you want to characterize that as "he got all his politics from hanging out with white people"

I think that's a nasty characterization but hey whatever.

EDIT an when I made that original comment I had no idea he went to a white college.

When I made that comment about meeting the girl, I was thinking of black radical girl. :lol:

No I think black people are normal humans, and college is an important time where you develop your political viewpoints.

And that tends to move in a more progressive direction when you hang out with other progressives.

Im saying he's probably a normal young person with a normal development path.

If you want to characterize that as "he got all his politics from hanging out with white people"

I think that's a nasty characterization but hey whatever.

EDIT an when I made that original comment I had no idea he went to a white college.

When I made that comment about meeting the girl, I was thinking of black radical girl. :lol:
I'm characterizing your argument as that

Not what did or didn't happen to him in college

But I understand, you just wanted to get a joke off.

And I think black people are normal people

I think having a dad as a black pastor from the South, who went to Howard
Having a mom that was a schoolteacher
And living in a majority-black area for most of his life

Probably impacted his views on the world too.

I mean, it is funny how young black democrats, in majority black areas, in the South, are mostly progressive also.

Back
Top Bottom