***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Breyer's argument about people faith in the court strengthening democracy is so ****ing dumb when you think of it

Democracy is strengthened because people accept the rulings of an elected body made up mostly of hand-picked elites. Who when they need to suppress minority rights, make **** up about what some slaveholder holders would have wanted.

I mean people accepting how grossly bad the Dredd Scott ruling was, was actually god for democracy

The Court basically allowing Jim Crow to be put in place, was great for democracy

Again, liberals like to point to the Warren Court but they had the back of a popular elected Congress, low polarization, and a popular elected executive branch. Who supported the institution of their most important rulings with troops.

The dude uses people accepting an election being stolen as a positive. Hell if Bush lost the Supreme Court ruling, they were planning to ask state legislators to overturn their results so he could.

Over the past couple of decades, when it seemed the Dems were gonna finally capture the legislative and executive branches and hold them for a while, Republicans openly discussed how it wouldn't be so bad because we have the courts, so we can veto much of their policies. Some of those people are on the Supreme Court right now.

Mans is so lost in the self-importance sauce he can't even think straight. Like does he even read all the books and articles from liberal Supreme Court scholars talking about how much the court has undermined democracy?

Dude is a clown
It's insane how much even well-meaning white americans can romanticize the american political system and its history

Most of them don't live in reality with the rest of us at all

I gotta find somewhere else to live before the American Taliban have a 7-2 4th quarter lead

The sad part is that I would say a majority of Americans don’t grasp the significant of this and what it means for the country. Yeah, I admit **** hasn’t always been sweet this century but this demise has been accelerated in the past 4-5 years. Between Trump getting elected and the crazies coming out then COVID running wild then the imminent conservative stronghold on the Supreme Court, I think of my nieces and how ****** up the world they grow up in is going to be |l

It's insane how much even well-meaning white americans can romanticize the american political system and its history

If it were just black people telling these delusional white liberals they are wrong, that would be one thing. White liberals got a habit of listening to minorities, but not hearing them.

But at every point in history, there also been other white liberals that see things clearly and be like...
lebron-james-cleveland.gif

I mean if you don't want to listen to minorities is one thing, but people that look like you, have the same background as you, that went to the same school as you, who live I the same neighborhood as you, begging you to stop the nonsense and you still continue.

I mean the reason we still have the electoral college and gerrymandering is that in the middle of the 20th century when a ton of white liberals pushed for it, other white liberals blocked them.

There could be a who genre of books from academics entitled " I was wrong, Republicans are really dangerous" but still, Breyer thinks it is cool to guarantee a 7-2 reactionary court.

Last edited:

I don't think they're well-meaning at all.

They've made the same moderate economic calculus Martin Luther King denounced in his Letter from a Birmingham jail.

The danger of doing this calculus over and over again and choosing not to sacrifice the comfort of white supremacy for the well being of ALL Americans is that over time, the people left behind will feel more [insert regional/racial identity] than they feel Americans, and it will eventually lead to the possibility of the Balkanisation of the US (think Yugoslavia break up), especially if territorial segregation follows legal segregation. Too bad that the Breyers of our government won't be alive to witness the outcome of their work if it gets there...

Breyer's argument about people faith in the court strengthening democracy is so ****ing dumb when you think of it

Democracy is strengthened because people accept the rulings of an elected body made up mostly of hand-picked elites. Who when they need to suppress minority rights, make **** up about what some slaveholder holders would have wanted. Really bruh?

So I guess to him people accepting how grossly bad the Dredd Scott ruling was, was actually god for democracy

The Court basically allowing Jim Crow to be put in place, was great for democracy

Again, liberals like to point to the Warren Court but they had the back of a popular elected Congress, low polarization, and a popular elected executive branch. Who supported the institution of their most important rulings with troops.

The dude uses people accepting an election being stolen as a positive. Hell if Bush lost the Supreme Court ruling, they were planning to ask state legislators to overturn their results so he could.

Over the past couple of decades, when it seemed the Dems were gonna finally capture the legislative and executive branches and hold them for a while, Republicans openly discussed how it wouldn't be so bad because we have the courts, so we can veto much of their policies. Some of those people are on the Supreme Court right now.

Mans is so lost in the self-importance sauce he can't even think straight. Like does he even read all the books and articles from liberal Supreme Court scholars talking about how much the court has undermined democracy?

Dude is a clown
FACTS, can't elaborate better so quoting for emphasis.

I don't even know how a sitting supreme court justice says this:

“He said the most remarkable thing about this case is, even though probably half the country didn't like it at all, and it was totally wrong, in his opinion and in mine, people followed it, and they didn't throw brickbats at each other and they didn't have riots,” Breyer said.

Like what?! Sounding like Mussolini. My main issue is that there is even an article at all, if Justices are going to act like politicians, and speak like politicians they should have to be elected like one.

Say what you want about Clarence Thomas but he talks as much as a Justice should, rarely and deliberately.

Capitalism can commodify anything.

Agreed but I dont have a problem with this
Usher can get paid by watching washed up celebs dance or random folk sing OR he can get paid to help an activist get poor students free wifi.

At this point who cares what their intentions are...let's get to work.

If the Kardashians want to charter a flight for afghan refugees and get 1 billion likes for it...no problem.

We got a show (shark tank) that is helping rich people get richer by "investing" in (more like rippining off) their ideas.
We got another show where we pay celebs to judge singing celebs wearing costumes.
191A030E-261D-4450-A9C2-EECFC3E38F42.jpeg

🤣
America Needs Help

If you guys want to learn more about how bad US Housing policy it is, and how it screws over low-income people, and how the people who think they are helping are actually making things worse, you should read Jerusalem Demas on Vox.

Back
Top Bottom