OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Hats off to Kaner. That's how you close out a series in style.

Let that man rage like it's St. Patty's in Dublin.

Those last series of goals were crazy lol

Kaner with a laser from Toews.....awesome! Cant stop watching the replay lol

I'm eagerly waiting for the New Era fitted w/ SC patch in the side to be available for purchase. Usually they're on top of this, but I've yet to see one.

I'm eagerly waiting for the New Era fitted w/ SC patch in the side to be available for purchase. Usually they're on top of this, but I've yet to see one.

I searched everywhere last year for a Kings fitted with the sc patch and couldn't find nothing. Still looking to this day.

Ecapcity had some devils sc patch hats last season but that's all I could find.

I found that odd because in 2010 it was easy to find sc patch hats for both the Blackhawks and flyers online but the last 2 seasons I didn't see many sc patch hats

Kane
eek.gif
pimp.gif
Put em away with the trick too.

If Chara and the B's win the cup, would it be fair to say he should be considered a top - 5 defenseman in NHL history?

If Chara and the B's win the cup, would it be fair to say he should be considered a top - 5 defenseman in NHL history?

No disrespect but are you ******g crazy? I'm a sens fan, he;s a HOF, I've watched him his whole career I always thought we should have kept him instad of Redden.

But he's not in the class, of Pronger, Lindstrom, Orr, Coffey, MacInnis, Borque, Niedermayer, Stevens, Chelios, Leetch etc etc

You should be asking if he's in the top 20, top 5 is insanity.

Last edited:
No disrespect but are you ******g crazy? I'm a sens fan, he;s a HOF, I've watched him his whole career I always thought we should have kept him instad of Redden.

But he's not in the class, of Pronger, Lindstrom, Orr, Coffey, MacInnis, Borque, Niedermayer, Stevens, Chelios, Leetch.

You should be asking if he's in the top 20, top 5 is insanity.

Might as well put Kris Letang and Mike Green on your list because there are guys you listed who can't hold a candle to Chara defensively.

(in no order)

Orr
Lidstrom
Bourque
Stevens
?

Crapshoot for #5, IMO. There are a slew of guys (to me) who could occupy that spot.

Last edited:
Might as well put Kris Letang and Mike Green on your list because there are guys you listed who can't hold a candle to Chara defensively.

(in no order)

Orr
Lidstrom
Bourque
Stevens
?

Crapshoot for #5, IMO. There are a slew of guys (to me) who could occupy that spot.

Dude it's the totality of play, offense and defense, I hate it when people do that, Mike Green is constantly injured, and had basically two great offensive seasons, its insane to bring his name up, it's not a crap shoot,

Chara is no where near Coffey, Niedermyer, Letch, Pronger, Macinnis, Larry Robinson, Potvin.

Like it's a straight up insult to the postion to say Chara is top 5, or even top 10.

Chara, is solid offensive defenseman, elite defender and is becoming one of the most overrated player of all time if people believe he is top 10.

Last edited:
I can just as easily say that guys like Coffey, Leetch, etc. are no where near Chara defensively. You are the one who said we're looking at the totality of play, right?

He's the most dominant defenseman in the NHL right now. Probably could call him a 1A to Lidstrom as he neared the end of his career.

I'm sorry you don't see it that way, but I have no issue with arguing him as one of the 5 best defenseman in NHL history IF he can continue his stellar play and punctuate this season w/ a ring.

*OKB - you're my guy...but you're out of ******g mind if you think one dimensional players like Phil ******g Housley are better than Chara. Paul Coffey was JUST as bad as well.

Last edited:
I can just as easily say that guys like Coffey, Leetch, etc. are no where near Chara defensively. You are the one who said we're looking at the totality of play, right?

He's the most dominant defenseman in the NHL right now. Probably could call him a 1A to Lidstrom as he neared the end of his career.

I'm sorry you don't see it that way, but I have no issue with arguing him as one of the 5 best defenseman in NHL history IF he can continue his stellar play and punctuate this season w/ a ring.

*OKB - you're my guy...but you're out of ******g mind if you think one dimensional players like Phil ******g Housley are better than Chara. Paul Coffey was JUST as bad as well.

:wow:

MAAAAAAAAAAN

cmon man.

I don't even know what to say to that, y'al americans ain't watch enough hockey.

Paul Coffey is the second greatest offensive d man ever, Zdeno ******g chara is not in his zone, the difference between him chara on defense is not nearly as wide as gaping casam that exists between them on offense, he was second most important dude on those oiler teams, Zdeno Chara is not even a top ten defensive defensman of all time.

Chara may not be top 5 IN HIS ERA.

Pronger, Neidermeyr and Lindstrom are all CLEARLY a head of him, him then you can argue about the last 2 spots.

Top 10 ranking on just defense I don't even think Charas in this zone.

Stevens
Pronger
Langaway
Robinson
Orr
Tim Horotn
Robinson
Lidstrom
Harvey
Robinson

French-

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/25082/defending-champs-went-down-swinging
:wow: :wow: good call dude. awaiting word on kopi now...

Really up and down season for the Kings. after the lockout they never really got it going. top to bottom...even quick's steady glove was shaky at times this season. but still, missing all those guys on the blueline and playing pretty well to get the 5 seed with the "cup hangover" wasnt too bad. i said it since the STL series that the magic was gone though and here we are. they were nowhere near as dominant, or even competent as last years playoff run. of course 16-4 is gonna be pretty hard to match let alone top, but with the offense going ghost and being beatdown through the neutral zone all playoffs...time was up. now the offseason, gotta see what happens with scuds and if mitchell wants to/is able to come back next season.

When I saw that, I couldn't F'n believe these guys were playing at a high level with those types of injuries.

Would never question Brown's leadership or cajones ever!!

Word from around the Kings is that Kopitar wasn't hurt but was wearing that giant knee brace. So I don't know. Apparently is was a "slump". That's it.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/06/09/slump-not-injury-hobbled-kopitar/#more-34572

“I guess I’m getting back to no discomfort and good strength in my knee and should be fine,” said Kopitar, who plans to shed the knee brace that he used during the season. “And [in regards to] being injured during this playoffs, there was really no significant injury that I suffered. It’s normal being just banged up a little bit – a few bumps and bruises, but that’s about it.”

:wow:

MAAAAAAAAAAN

cmon man.

I don't even know what to say to that, y'al americans ain't watch enough hockey.

Paul Coffey is the second greatest offensive d man ever, Zdeno ******g chara is not in his zone, the difference between him chara on defense is not nearly as wide as gaping casam that exists between them on offense, he was second most important dude on those oiler teams, Zdeno Chara is not even a top ten defensive defensman of all time.

Chara may not be top 5 IN HIS ERA.

Pronger, Neidermeyr and Lindstrom are all CLEARLY a head of him, him then you can argue about the last 2 spots.

So, tell me what's off-base about my comment? I'd love to hear it. Break it down for Lidstrom's last two seasons. Thanks.

No one is in Coffey's league offensively...However, he was beyond poor defensively. Like, pathetically poor. Same can be said about Phil Housley. You're Canadian...you should know this.

As well conditioned as Chara is, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still playing in his 40's. He's THAT good. He has a ways to go before it's a wrap, but another SC ring (coupled with a dominant defensive series) would put him in the conversation as far as being in the top-5 conversation.

*Also, what's the difference between Niedermayer and Chara when looking at the whole picture?

Top 10 ranking on just defense I don't even think Charas in this zone.

Stevens
Pronger
Langaway
Robinson
Orr
Tim Horotn
Robinson
Lidstrom
Harvey
Robinson

Bro, you're misspelling names and listing guys you've NEVER seen play. Don't say this is your list.

I have Charra somewhere between Adam Graves and Clinton Portis.

and I got you between a nets fan and a bamma.

Talk to any Hockey guy over the age of 35 and they will slap the taste out of your mouth for saying chara is top 10 let alone top 5.

Top 10 is ridiculous but top 5 is simply inarguable, you can't make a credible argument, Lindsrom, Borque, Orr, Pronger, Stevens, Neidermyer, Robinson.

Orr is the greatest period, Lindstrom is the greatest player of this generation, Stevens and Pronger are the two most dominating and intimidating in their own ends ever, and Neidermyer is the greatest puck possession guy, these points are basic hockey fact Chara isn't in the discussion, he isn't as good at anything as what these guys at their premium skills.

So, Chara isn't as intimidating or dominant in his own end as either Stevens or Pronger? :lol:

Ok, bro....

You still didn't even explain what separates Niedermayer from Chara.

Last edited:
Bro, you're misspelling names and listing guys you've NEVER seen play. Don't say this is your list.
and I got you between a nets fan and a bamma.

1. I don't need to see everyone play to understand their place in history an what made them great, this is religion up here dog, I never saw Wilt and Russel and Bird but as a student of them game I know where they are and what they mean to league. I know who Tim Horton was, we were told about Larry Robinson.

Zdeno Chara, is a above average offensive defense and an elite defender, but elite is different than all time, I mean how many years has really been regarded as the best defensive defenseman? one two? I mean, is he better right now than Doughty? How much is than Seidenberg on his own team? Can you even say he;s better than old Pronger dragging teams to the finals like Edmonton and Philly?

Pronger in his prime, it wasn't close, he was the best, the most dominating the most physical, the most intimidating, for a good five years in his prime dude were straight shook by him. and Niedermyer accomplished they same things defensively with his skill and skating ability, you don't have top be a physical guy to be a dominating defender, that Devils defense is as much neidermyer as it was Stevens, those big hits, you can see niedermeyer guiding them into the killzone.

Neideryer was an ELITE defender, and ELITE on offense, the difference between the two on defense is negligible, but on offense its not close.

Pronger's 99-01, +52 on 30 minutes a game may be the greatest defensive season EVER.

Last edited:
1. I don't need to see everyone play to understand their place in history an what made them great, this is religion up here dog, I never saw Wilt and Russel and Bird but as a student of them game I know where they are and what they mean to league. I know who Tim Horton was, we were told about Larry Robinson.

Zdeno Chara, is a above average offensive defense and an elite defender, but elite is different than all time, I mean how many years has really been regarded as the best defensive defenseman? one two? I mean, is he better right now than Doughty? How much is than Seidenberg on his own team? Can you even say he;s better than old Pronger dragging teams to the finals like Edmonton and Philly?

Pronger in his prime, it wasn't close, he was the best, the most dominating the most physical, the most intimidating, for a good five years in his prime dude were straight shook by him. and Niedermyer accomplished they same things defensively with his skill and skating ability, you don't have top be a physical guy to be a dominating defender, that Devils defense is as much neidermyer as it was Stevens, those big hits, you can see niedermeyer guiding them into the killzone.

Neideryer was an ELITE defender, and ELITE on offense, the difference between the two on defense is negligible, but on offense its not close.

Zdeno Chara is the most intimidating player in the NHL bar none. Physically, he is no different than Pronger in his prime. The one difference between Pronger and Z is that Pronger had no problems getting EXTREMELY dirty or crossing a line.

Niedermayer...probably the best skating defenseman in NHL history...however, saying he was ELITE offensively is a stretch. Some of that can probably be attributed to the system he was playing in, however, saying he's "above average" in that department is about right. Just like you said of Chara.

I'm not a know-it-all, but I've been watching the game for over 25 years. Some of the guys you listed, I've watched play live. If you're a true student of the game like you say, I'd highly suggest you pay closer attention to the job Z does night in and night out.

Back
Top Bottom