OFFICIAL 2010 DODGERS OFFSEASON THREAD : Mods, please lock. Thanks.

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Please feel free to look at what Clayton Kershaw is becoming, and come back to this thread.

#kbyethanx

Feel free to tell me you guys currently have an ace.
#kbyethanx
Go look up the definition of an Ace is, and tell me Kershaw wasn't one last year.

Please do so.

Would you call Ubaldo Jimenez an Ace?

Starting pitching was not the problem last season, the bullpen and our terrible second half offense was the problem.

Originally Posted by dland24

Please feel free to look at what Clayton Kershaw is becoming, and come back to this thread.

#kbyethanx

Feel free to tell me you guys currently have an ace.
#kbyethanx
Go look up the definition of an Ace is, and tell me Kershaw wasn't one last year.

Please do so.

Would you call Ubaldo Jimenez an Ace?

Starting pitching was not the problem last season, the bullpen and our terrible second half offense was the problem.

Well if you are happy with him as your #1, I am happy for you.  An ace is the guy that you can count on all season, is consistent, and matches up well with other team's #1s.  He is a guy who pitches deep into games regularly, and is the guy you want on the mound if the season depended on it. 

Is Kershaw really that guy right now?  Honestly? 

sad to say, but i agree with the giants fan
grin.gif

yes i know he's young, hes going to eventually be a top notch "ace," but right now i wouldn't call him a solidified ace
there's many games we come in here saying %@% kershaw? the kershaw who likes to walk half the line up through 2 innings, and the kershaw who is inconsistent.

Well if you are happy with him as your #1, I am happy for you.  An ace is the guy that you can count on all season, is consistent, and matches up well with other team's #1s.  He is a guy who pitches deep into games regularly, and is the guy you want on the mound if the season depended on it. 
Yes I am.

Seems like you are having a problem with perception vs. reality.

Is Kershaw really that guy right now?  Honestly?
Yes

Can you please elaborate on why you feel Kershaw is not an Ace?

there's many games we come in here saying %@% kershaw? the kershaw who likes to walk half the line up through 2 innings, and the kershaw who is inconsistent.
Again, perception vs. reality.  I don't blame you, but you probably stopped watching Dodger games after the ASB.  It's cool, like I said, I don't blame you
laugh.gif

i dont care enough to post stats but im pretty sure dude was almost statistically the same as lincecum this year, without the inconsistency.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

i dont care enough to post stats but im pretty sure dude was almost statistically the same as lincecum this year, without the inconsistency.
Statistically he was better than Lincecum.

Lincecum had 19 more K's, Kershaw had 2 more BB's but Kershaw had a better SO/BB ratio.

IYN I dont know who you are referring to when you say "without the inconsistency." If you are saying Lincecum wasnt consistent, I can buy it. This was his least consistent season in the majors, but really it was only one month of struggling. If you are saying Kershaw wasnt consistent, you would also be correct. Consistency is a big part of being an ace, and Kershaw hasnt been consistent his whole career.

And Iron Man....the things I expect from an ace......Consistent, dependable, matches up with other #1s, pitches deep into games, expect to win every time he pitches, and the guy you want on the mound for the biggest games of the season.

Right now, I dont think Kershaw fills most of these qualities. There is no question he is a great young talent, and has the tools to be a true ace one day. I just feel like right now, he isnt.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

Statistically he was better than Lincecum.

Lincecum had 19 more K's, Kershaw had 2 more BB's but Kershaw had a better SO/BB ratio.
then its settled, neither one is an ace
laugh.gif

Consistent, dependable, matches up with other #1s, pitches deep intogames, expect to win every time he pitches, and the guy you want on themound for the biggest games of the season.
Statistics > fairy tale %*$#$%%#.

[h1]Dodgers Closing In On Deal With Juan Uribe[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 29 at 12:29pm CST]

12:29pm: Uribe's contract with the Dodgers will be for three years and $21MM, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.

11:38am: The Dodgers are closing in on a three-year deal with free agent infielder Juan Uribe, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney.  After a couple of solid seasons for the Giants, Uribe is about to snag his first multiyear free agent deal with their division rival.

Uribe, 31, hit .248/.310/.440 with 24 home runs in 575 plate appearances for the Giants this year, adding a pair of postseason home runs.  He mainly played shortstop, but also logged time at third base and second base.  Uribe would presumably serve as the Dodgers' second baseman with Rafael Furcal in the fold.  The contract may seal Ryan Theriot's fate, with Thursday's non-tender deadline looming.  Another effect may be a heightened sense of urgency for the Giants as they search for a shortstop.  Uribe is a Type B free agent who was offered arbitration by the Giants, so they'll receive a supplemental draft pick for their loss.

Eh, at least he gives us some pop. If he can do 19/75 at 2B it'll prove to be a good signing.

And give that boy a bubble bath before he gets here.

I don't mind Uribe, but 3 years? $21 million?

30t6p3b.gif

++#$%@$ Colletti and his ++#$%@$ infatuation with former Giants.  This guy needs to ++#$%@$ go already.

Originally Posted by Bean Pie Slanga

Eh, at least he gives us some pop. If he can do 19/75 at 2B it'll prove to be a good signing.
I sure %+$%!%# hope so, cause we're weak as hell at both 1st and 3rd.

You gotta go Loney.
grin.gif

I don't mind Uribe, but 3 years? $21 million?

30t6p3b.gif

++#$%@$ Colletti and his ++#$%@$ infatuation with former Giants.  This guy needs to ++#$%@$ go already.
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this. Signing Uribe is a good move, but the price? No way he deserves that.

[h1]Cardinals Acquire Ryan Theriot[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 30 at 2:48pm CST]

The Cardinals acquired infielder Ryan Theriot from the Dodgers for righty Blake Hawksworthaccording to the Dodgers' official Twitter feed.  Theriot was a non-tender candidate for the Dodgers in the wake of their Juan Uribe signing, but the Cardinals have a need for him. 

The Cardinals view Theriot as a shortstop and could still pursue a second baseman, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).

Theriot, 31 next month, is intimately familiar with the NL Central after spending parts of six seasons with the Cubs.  He was dealt to the Dodgers at the trade deadline this year along with Ted Lilly.  Theriot struggled offensively at both stops, hitting a combined .270/.321/.312 in 640 plate appearances.  He'll still be due a raise on this year's $2.6MM, a salary he was assigned after losing a February arbitration case.

Hawksworth, 28 in March, posted a 4.98 ERA, 6.1 K/9, 3.5 BB/9, 1.5 HR/9, and 51.5% groundball rate in 90 1/3 innings for the Cardinals this year.  Heading into the 2008 season, Baseball America ranked Hawksworth 20th among Cardinals prospects, praising his changeup but noting his injury history and struggles against left-handed hitters.

This appears to be the first time GMs Ned Colletti and John Mozeliak matched up on a trade.

laugh.gif
Will we EVER understand this GM?

Didn't expect a thing for this guy except an open spot on the 40man. I'll take it, we're one team that's proven the phrase You can never have too much pitching

Damn you Uribe. Damn you.

Unless this you are a secret undercover Giant planning to revert back to your previous years and plan to decline in health over the next 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom