NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my quarterly Ryan Leaf update :smh:

Ryan Leaf kicked out of drug treatment center, moved to prison

HELENA, Mont. (AP) Former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf has been moved from a drug treatment center to the Montana State Prison for threatening a staff member and other unspecified behavioral problems at the center, a corrections official said Thursday.

The former San Diego Chargers and Washington State Cougars quarterback was charged last spring with breaking into two houses and stealing prescription painkillers near his hometown of Great Falls. He pleaded guilty in May to reduced charges, and his five-year sentence called for spending nine months in a locked drug treatment facility as an alternative to prison.

Leaf said then that he was looking forward to the treatment at Nexus Treatment Center in Lewistown. But on Thursday, the Montana Department of Corrections released a statement by Great Falls regional probation and parole administrator Dawn Handa that said Leaf will now serve his sentence in the Deer Lodge prison.

"The Montana Department of Corrections terminated Leaf from the treatment program and placed him in prison after he was found guilty of behavior that violated conditions of his drug treatment program. The violations included threatening a program staff member," Handa said in the statement.

Corrections officials did not immediately respond to a request for details of the violations or the threats.

Leaf's attorney, Kenneth Olson, did not immediately return a call for comment.

It was unclear when the threats or other behavior issues occurred. The Department of Corrections' website listing offenders says Leaf has been an inmate since Jan. 10.

The Great Falls Tribune first reported Leaf's imprisonment Thursday.

It was not immediately clear how the change would affect a probation violation he is facing in Texas for 2010 drug charges. Olson said in July that Randall County prosecutors had canceled their outstanding warrants so Leaf could serve his Montana sentence before facing possible penalties in Texas.

Ryan Leaf.
mean.gif

Even JaMarcus gotta be
mean.gif
@ him.

Here's my quarterly Ryan Leaf update :smh:

Ryan Leaf

moved from a drug treatment center to the Montana State Prison for threatening a staff member and other unspecified behavioral problems
breaking into two houses and stealing prescription painkillers
five-year sentence called for spending nine months in a locked drug treatment facility as an alternative to prison.
now serve his sentence in the Deer Lodge prison.
guilty of behavior that violated conditions of his drug treatment program. The violations included threatening a program staff member
not immediately clear how the change would affect a probation violation he is facing in Texas for 2010 drug charges. ... prosecutors had canceled their outstanding warrants so Leaf could serve his Montana sentence before facing possible penalties in Texas.

What.

Last edited:
It's been a few months and I still can't believe Harbaugh went with Kaepernick over Alex Smith
laugh.gif
mean.gif

Either way, just saw that Kaepernick's maternal mom is trying to get in-contact with him and playing the guilt card
mean.gif
.  I understand that adoption could be best option for some people, but you couldn't try to stay in contact with the family while he was growing up or even send a card for all of his bdays?  I hope he just brushes it off and keeps his head clear...

All this Lance and Manti junk...I'm ready to get back to some damn football! The Super Bowl matchup will be decided in 2 days!

All this Lance and Manti junk...I'm ready to get back to some damn football! The Super Bowl matchup will be decided in 2 days!

Seriously man. Almosy happy i been off the grid for a few days, sort of.

Thank god for the conference championships and NHL getting back this weekend :smokin

[h1]It’s been six years since an African-American head coach was hired via external search[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2013, 2:30 PM EST

350x-426.jpg
AP
The NFL has acknowledged disappointment regarding the lack of diversity in this year’s round of coaching and G.M. hires. There’s another trend that the league should regard as even more troubling.

As former Buccaneers and Colts coach Tony Dungy, now an analyst with NBC’s Football Night in America, has pointed out, it has been six years since an African-American head coach was hired as the result of an external search.

“Mike Singletary, Leslie Frazier and Romeo Crennel were named interim coaches when their bosses were fired during the season,” Dungy told PFT via email. “They were retained as permanent head coaches. Jim Caldwell, Raheem Morris and Hue Jackson were assistant coaches on staffs where there was a head-coaching opening and they were promoted from within. However, you have to go back to 2007 when the Steelers hired Mike Tomlin to see a situation where a team hired an African-American coach from outside their organization to be their head coach.”

Tomlin was the Vikings’ defensive coordinator for one year before being selected by the Rooneys to replace Bill Cowher. Overlooked for the job were Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm, both white.

“While many people would say it doesn’t matter and those six coaches were selected and got a chance, you still have to be concerned about the process for minority coaches,” Dungy said. “I know Ron Rivera was hired by the Panthers, but you would have to think that somewhere in the last six hiring cycles a team would reach out to an African-American coach outside their building. Unfortunately, it appears right now that the best way for an African-American coach to get an opportunity is to be on a staff where the head coach gets fired or retires. I still don’t think owners and GMs are doing a great job in the process of identifying minority candidates.”

He’s right, and that’s where the process can best be changed. From current coaches giving more meaningful opportunities to minority assistant coaches (such as play-calling duties on offense) to General Managers casting a wider net when interviewing candidates to teams being prevented from satisfying the Rooney Rule by interviewing a current member of the organization to the media doing a better job of highlighting qualified minority candidates, real changes are needed in order to improve the problem.

“I guess more than being upset by 2013 results I am more concerned about the trend,” Dungy added via text message. “I don’t know if owners are really looking at minority candidates as a whole — unless they already know them.”

NFL teams should address this problem because it’s the right thing to do. NFL teams will address this problem when they perceive a significant threat to their bottom line from public pressure or litigation.

Here’s hoping they choose to do the right thing before they have to.

I still think the biggest issue is the lack of opportunity and diversity at the college level where it is much more influenced by individuals and donors. That lack of experience in the NCAA level subsequently hurts the number of prospects on the NFL level. Just my basic understanding and observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom