NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
49ers Crabtree sex assault investigation - SFGate

01-18) 19:08 PST SAN FRANCISCO --

San Francisco police have interviewed 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree about allegations that he sexually assaulted a woman in the city following the team's victory last weekend, The Chronicle has learned.

The alleged attack occurred at an unnamed hotel early on Jan. 13, hours after the team's victory over the Green Bay Packers at Candlestick Park.

The incident is being investigated by the Special Victims Unit, whose detectives have interviewed Crabtree with his lawyer present. Crabtree has agreed to make himself available for possible further interviews about an assault.

The 25-year-old player - who has not been detained or arrested - is expected to play in Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons.

Jaxon Van Derbeken is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. E-mail: [email protected]

San Francisco police have interviewed 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree about allegations that he sexually assaulted a woman in the city following the team's victory last weekend, The Chronicle has learned.

The alleged attack occurred at an unnamed hotel early on Jan. 13, hours after the team's victory over the Green Bay Packers at Candlestick Park.

The incident is being investigated by the Special Victims Unit, whose detectives have interviewed Crabtree with his lawyer present. Crabtree has agreed to make himself available for possible further interviews about an assault.

The 25-year-old player - who has not been detained or arrested - is expected to play in Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons.

Jaxon Van Derbeken is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. E-mail: [email protected]

Somewhere in there is an inappropriate joke...

Perfect timing for this to pop up though

All this means is the 49ers are gonna win the chip. If Kobe and Ben are any indication, Rapists seem to win rings these days. Not sure what's up with the Sports God's and their fascination with rapists.

All jokes aside hope its not true. There are always stories about birng "raped" by millionare atletes. Hope its just a gold digging girl thats just lyong.

Real talk

Very unpopular and maybe I just don't understand, but I don't get why these athletes/entertainers mess with all these random girls. They're WAITING for your dumb *** to slip up. :smh:

Don't understand why sportswriters (Mike Silver, Skip, etc) want NFL owners to hire more black coaches. Employers should have the freedom to choose whoever they desire, white/asian/black or otherwise.

Don't understand why sportswriters (Mike Silver, Skip, etc) want NFL owners to hire more black coaches. Employers should have the freedom to choose whoever they desire, white/asian/black or otherwise.
There's a problem when they are consistently "desiring" coaches who happen to be white time and time again, when there are clearly qualified black candidates available. Don't tell me race doesn't play a role in perception.

I see it as a problem because other sports have minority coaches who have had success. Dusty Baker, Felipe Alou, Cito Gaston, Ozzie Guillen, and Ron Washington all got their clubs to the playoffs. Gaston and Guillen won the World Series. Lenny Wilkens held the record for most wins by a coach until Don Nelson. Mike Woodson, Mike Brown (even though some of you hate him), Erik Spoelstra, Maurice Cheeks, Nate McMillan, Avery Johnson, Byron Scott, and Lionel Hollins have also brought success to their teams.

What if those coaches just aren't good? (Not saying they arent).People are quick to mention race but forget that there could be other reasons that actually matter.

All this means is the 49ers are gonna win the chip. If Kobe and Ben are any indication, Rapists seem to win rings these days. Not sure what's up with the Sports God's and their fascination with rapists.

Maybe the Sports Gods feel sympathy for the wrongfully accused.....? :nerd:

As far as the minority coaches, I go back and forth. As I said before I think the biggest underlying issue is the NCAA, but it is a slippery slope to start forcing teams to hire based on a quota. My faith in the free labor market tells me that teams don't see race and will hire based off who fits the role best. That said we all know that judgment can be clouded. Regardless I don't think anything changes this year but the NFL may re examine if this continues

What if those coaches just aren't good? (Not saying they arent).People are quick to mention race but forget that there could be other reasons that actually matter.

A lot of not good white coaches and players get recycled over and over. Opportunity after opportunity. Different story for minorities.

Gotta agree here.

'Qualified,' 'Deserving,' and 'Good' are all subjective traits. Just because a black man doesn't land a job doesn't always mean the employer is racist.

At the end of the day, the employers should have the decision and we should respect it.

A lot of not good white coaches and players get recycled over and over. Opportunity after opportunity. Different story for minorities.
You can't just throw this out there without proof of this. We're talking about 2 black coaches trying to fill in a hand full of spots.

And let's not act like these guys are going to go hungry now. They are millionaires and can work as coordinators or something else

Real quick too, last time I checked the majority of the NFL is African American so saying minorities don't get chances is laughable

Last edited:
You can't just throw this out there without proof of this. We're talking about 2 black coaches trying to fill in a hand full of spots.

And let's not act like these guys are going to go hungry now. They are millionaires and can work as coordinators or something else

Real quick too, last time I checked the majority of the NFL is African American so saying minorities don't get chances is laughable

So because black coaches are not going to go hungry it's okay for them not to be given the same opportunities as white coaches...cool.

And because there are plenty of black players in the NFL there's no injustice whatsoever that there are so few black coaches/GMs.....got it.

Please, just leave your ignorance out of this thread and stick to talking football and not race.

So because black coaches are not going to go hungry it's okay for them not to be given the same opportunities as white coaches...cool.

And because there are plenty of black players in the NFL there's no injustice whatsoever that there are so few black coaches/GMs.....got it.

Please, just leave your ignorance out of this thread and stick to talking football and not race.

Because you think you know everything that goes on in NFL head offices, gottcha.

You have no clue what the reasons are yet choose to think its because race. Who's the racist here?

Until you have facts proving it was done with racial intent post no more...... We'll wait......

Last edited:
If anything, it's the Browns who are racist and maybe San Diego. Every single of the other head coaching jobs that were filled were by very legitimate candidates and you could easily make a strong case for each and every one of them. Lovie said he wanted to sit out at least a year and that really only leaves Ray Horton as the big snub. Let's not confuse a lack of candidates as racism. Like it was mentioned earlier. It' starts from the bottom. You can't be so quick to judge a lot of these teams.

Minority GM's...Now that's a completely different story and that's where I think a strong discussion would be useful but not for head coaching jobs...Not this year, at least.

Let's move on....

Last edited:
I need to know why all black head coaches are from the same mold. Defensive motivators I refuse to believe there aren't offensive black coaches.

I'm rooting for Sumlin to win the NC next year and leave A&M and get a NFL job.

Last edited:
I wish this topic could be discussed in depth cause it is interesting, but sadly over the Internet tones could be taken the wrong way.

Is it a lack or candidates or refusing to hire ?

I have a hard time believing that in this day and age owners would rather lose than make money and win.

Like stated before I hate the fact that coaches keep getting recycled over and over, majority of times it ends up being the same result as well.

As a minority this "rule" offends me, like I understand the concept behind it, but I would feel like I'm only gettin an interview cause they need to and not cause of skill set.

whoa whoa whoa...every word do work son said was fact...ol dude that was the coach of colorado and got the boot brought it up as well...and its true...

in the NFL, and college...how many black head coaches get a 2nd shot at head coaching??

i think mike singletary deserves just as much a 2nd chance as josh mcdaniels...both are INCREDIBLE at coaching their respective side of the ball... both made DUMB mistakes early in their HC tenure...i would even argue that Josh made the worst decisions of the two (trading cutler and marshall, drafting tebow)...

i can almost guarantee that Mcdaniels will have another HC job sometime in the near future...future seems bleek for coach singletary...

i think ALOT can be said that the majority of black head coaches the past few years ALL have direct ties to Tony Dungy (the dungy tree)  ie, tomlin, lovie, leslie frazier..   IMO that shows me that without tony being proactive in hiring black coaches (which he obviously was) there would be even less black coaches now....

it is what it is...   but to say race doesnt play a role, and its the employers discretion, blah blah etc is turning a blind eye..its obvious race plays a role in hiring head coaches, even more obvious black coaches get a shorter leash, and less (if any) second chances...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom