NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the the Marc Trestman hire to. When you look at the QBs he's worked with & what they did under him, it's pretty impressive...Steve Young & Rich Gannon (among those who Trestman coached) loves the hire too...

Pac-12 is Washington's now though.

2i72rt0.gif

[h1]http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2013/01/lovie_smith_expected_to_sit_ou.html[/h1][h1] [/h1][h1]Lovie Smith expected to sit out 2013 season[/h1]
By Sean Jensen on January 16, 2013 1:01 PM | No Comments | No TrackBacks

GIGYA
[table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][td]
[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td] [/td][td][/td][td] [/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][td][/td][td]
[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][td]
[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][td]
[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
/GIGYA
Former Bears coach Lovie Smith interviewed for three NFL head-coaching vacancies but the respective clubs picked other candidates.

And while two openings remain, Smith isn't believed to be a candidate for either.

So Smith is expected to sit out the 2013 NFL season and reconsider his options next offseason, according to a league source.

But Smith will still collect a handsome paycheck.

The Bears owe him what is believed to be at least $5 million for the 2013 season, and they'll have to pay him the entire salary.

While some have speculated that Smith would be a strong defensive coordinator candidate, Smith will not go that route, opting instead to take the first break of his coaching career, since he started at his alma mater, Big Sandy High School, in 1980.

After the Bears fired him following a 10-6 season, Smith immediately became a candidate for several NFL openings. He interviewed with the Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers and Philadelphia Eagles. But the Bills hired Doug Marrone, the Chargers hired Mike McCoy and the Eagles hired Chip Kelly.

I think Kelly will do well in the NFL, that o-line just needs to be rebuilt...Hope Shady is ready to run like Forest Gump....
I hate when people say this, we have a good offensive line it was just plagued by injuries this year.

I don't know what to think about this hire though; I'm glad because Shady is going to get a lot more touches, but I feel like we need a better signal caller. Geno? EJ? Give Foles another year? :nerd:

I like the the Marc Trestman hire to. When you look at the QBs he's worked with & what they did under him, it's pretty impressive...Steve Young & Rich Gannon (among those who Trestman coached) loves the hire too...

Pretty much this. His resume speaks for itself and a lot of people in the league gave him gushing reviews. I feel as if people who don't know much about Trestman are gonna give this hiring a bad grade and assume he's a bad coach because he was in the CFL. FYI, CFL coaches have been successful in the NFL before, just look at Bud Grant and Marv Levy, who happen to be two HOF coaches that give Trestman their approval.

I do see the potential backfire though - the offense's success hinges on two factors, which are the OL and Cutler. Obviously we need to get better players on the OL and Cutler needs to be more consistent and held accountable for his dumb turnovers. Coach Trestman HAS to hold Cutler by the balls and not be afraid to coddle him like the past few years here.

Also like the Kromer hire. I'm assuming Trestman will be doing the playcalling, but Kromer's work with the Saints OL has been pretty impressive. Maybe he can bring Jermon Bushrod over and we get a guard like Jonathan Cooper or Chance Warmack @ 20.

I think Kelly will do well in the NFL, that o-line just needs to be rebuilt...Hope Shady is ready to run like Forest Gump....
I hate when people say this, we have a good offensive line it was just plagued by injuries this year.

I don't know what to think about this hire though; I'm glad because Shady is going to get a lot more touches, but I feel like we need a better signal caller. Geno? EJ? Give Foles another year? :nerd:

I meant to add the line was hit hard with injuries...but do you think some of those guys will come back strong enough? You also have to look at if it's worth keeping those guys at whatever their currently being paid. I don't think the Eagles had any of their projected starting o-line play together once this year, all five of them were lost to injuries weren't they?

I like what I saw from Foles this year especially behind a rag tag o-line. Not sure how what Kelly sees in him though. Vick should be gone. His career completion % (56.3%) is below Kyle Boller's (56.7%). That should speak volumes.

The Eagles have great players on both sides of the ball. They can compete with a good coach & I think Kelly will do well...

Last edited:

Pretty much this. His resume speaks for itself and a lot of people in the league gave him gushing reviews. I feel as if people who don't know much about Trestman are gonna give this hiring a bad grade and assume he's a bad coach because he was in the CFL. FYI, CFL coaches have been successful in the NFL before, just look at Bud Grant and Marv Levy, who happen to be two HOF coaches that give Trestman their approval.

I do see the potential backfire though - the offense's success hinges on two factors, which are the OL and Cutler. Obviously we need to get better players on the OL and Cutler needs to be more consistent and held accountable for his dumb turnovers. Coach Trestman HAS to hold Cutler by the balls and not be afraid to coddle him like the past few years here.

Also like the Kromer hire. I'm assuming Trestman will be doing the playcalling, but Kromer's work with the Saints OL has been pretty impressive. Maybe he can bring Jermon Bushrod over and we get a guard like Jonathan Cooper or Chance Warmack @ 20.

One thing that looked ominous was Brandon Marshall having his third hip surgery in 4 years... Hope it's not serious...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-marshall-reportedly-set-for-more-hip-surgery

After the Bears fired him following a 10-6 season, Smith immediately became a candidate for several NFL openings. He interviewed with the Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers and Philadelphia Eagles. But the Bills hired Doug Marrone, the Chargers hired Mike McCoy and the Eagles hired Chip Kelly.

:smh: :smh: :smh: ...damn shame

I meant to add the line was hit hard with injuries...but do you think some of those guys will come back strong enough? You also have to look at if it's worth keeping those guys at whatever their currently being paid. I don't think the Eagles had any of their projected starting o-line play together once this year, all five of them were lost to injuries weren't they?

I like what I saw from Foles this year especially behind a rag tag o-line. Not sure how what Kelly sees in him though. Vick should be gone. His career completion % (56.3%) is below Kyle Boller's (56.7%). That should speak volumes.

The Eagles have great players on both sides of the ball. They can compete with a good coach & I think Kelly will do well...
Nah, they didn't, Peters got injured in the offseason. :smh:
I like what I saw from Foles as well, but at the same time I feel like Andy and Marty babied him; I can't tell you how many screen plays I saw :x. I'm willing to give dude a chance. I mean, from everything I've read about him, he seems like a hard working guy and even Chip liked him back at Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom